• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum

BridgerMT: What powder did you use?
Has anyone tried the new Winchester StaBALL HD powder in the 338 Lapua Magnum?

I haven't seen anyone post results yet, but it just hit the market and folks in the other threads have said they're receiving it now.

1675302668376.png

In the meantime, here's what QL predicts

I’ve only used a Lapua and Norma and had a neck split on a Norma after only two cycles.

I’m on 12-13 with the Lapua.

Can’t speak to the others, but I’m a Lapua fan.

Chris

Lapua brass, 5° reload.
Perfect.
Now I'm 10th reload.

Attachments

• 5 ricarica.JPG
    5 ricarica.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 5 ricarica.1.JPG
    5 ricarica.1.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 96
Not wanting to deplete my N570 and RL33 stocks I use for .300NM & .338LM Improved respectively, I decided recently to work up a load in my shorty 18" vanilla .338LM using N565. Initially I thought this might be a bit on the fast side, but boy was I wrong. On top of that, I got fantastic groups and SD right out of the gate. My powder ladder was 85-90gr and only started seeing pressure at the top. Groups didn't vary a whole lot between 86-89gr either, so I did some seating tests with 89gr and settled on 3.863" COAL, which is about 0.025" off the lands.

300 A-Tip
Lapua Brass
CCI250
89gr N565
3.863" COAL
2580fps out of 18" barrel

1676658001756.png

any one tried Ramshot LRT, been running N570, with 300gr Berger Hybrids,
based off the burn rate chart it’s one below N570, running 27” Bart, on a Cadex Kraken.

I did in 2020 when N570 was unobtanium. It's definitely slower, in fact it seems slower than RL33 even, so you'll never hit pressure limits but your loads will be sort of anemic. SDs weren't bad, so it's not a bad option, but definitely not a good option.

Not wanting to deplete my N570 and RL33 stocks I use for .300NM & .338LM Improved respectively, I decided recently to work up a load in my shorty 18" vanilla .338LM using N565. Initially I thought this might be a bit on the fast side, but boy was I wrong. On top of that, I got fantastic groups and SD right out of the gate. My powder ladder was 85-90gr and only started seeing pressure at the top. Groups didn't vary a whole lot between 86-89gr either, so I did some seating tests with 89gr and settled on 3.863" COAL, which is about 0.025" off the lands.

300 A-Tip
Lapua Brass
CCI250
89gr N565
3.863" COAL
2580fps out of 18" barrel

View attachment 8077360
what were your SD's.... you can't say that and not mention ito_O

According to my log book:

Shot a pressure ladder first: 85-90gr N565 w/ 300 A-Tips @ 3.861" COAL. Pressure signs at 90gr

Then shot 5-shot strings for 86, 87, 88 & 89. Keep in mind, this is with an 18" barrel. Also, I didn't have the Shotmarker set to track Mean Radius, which is better than MOA group size on this session, so take it for what it is. Still, groups were visually impressive.

86gr
2473 fps avg
2.4 SD
0.51 MOA

87gr
2491 fps avg
7.9 SD
0.78 MOA

88gr
2508 fps avg
5.6 SD
0.66 MOA

89gr
2522 fps avg
5.1 SD
0.58 MOA

I still need to test that 89gr load at distance.

Reactions: babyguppy
any one tried Ramshot LRT, been running N570, with 300gr Berger H
I have. I tried it with Berger 300's and liked it. 101 grains gave me 2850 fps (H1000 96 grains gave me 2790) out of a 30" barrel. I didn't measure the groups, but they were probably .5-.7 moa. I usually use H1000 but I would have no problem switching over to LRT if need be.

I have a friend getting into reloading for his 338. He has not reloaded before.

He can get H1000 for 55 a pound or Staball HD for 43 a pound.

How has HD performed in the 338? Because if it is a good option it would be preferred based on price, availability, and metering.

Please advise.

He wants H1000 for 250 grain bullets and Retumbo for 285 and 300 class bullets. Maybe N570 if he doesn't care about his barrel.

I don't have experience with Staball HD in 338, but looks like it's right there w RETUMBO as far as burn rate.

What I do know is this: with a charge of 90ish grains, the difference in the cost of those 2 powders is $0.15 per round. That cost is too miniscule to worry about considering the other costs involved: case, bullet, primer, barrel, and, if it doesn't shoot well, waste of hundreds of dollars in load development (although if he reports it here, it will be a service to the community).

Because H1000 is a go-to powder for 250s, and Retumbo for 285/300s, he's rolling the dice w Staball HD, and doing it to save a nickel and a dime.

YMMV

He wants H1000 for 250 grain bullets and Retumbo for 285 and 300 class bullets. Maybe N570 if he doesn't care about his barrel.

I don't have experience with Staball HD in 338, but looks like it's right there w RETUMBO as far as burn rate.

What I do know is this: with a charge of 90ish grains, the difference in the cost of those 2 powders is $0.15 per round. That cost is too miniscule to worry about considering the other costs involved: case, bullet, primer, barrel, and, if it doesn't shoot well, waste of hundreds of dollars in load development (although if he reports it here, it will be a service to the community).

Because H1000 is a go-to powder for 250s, and Retumbo for 285/300s, he's rolling the dice w Staball HD, and doing it to save a nickel and a dime.

YMMV
You forgot to include that if he does develop a good round using StaBall HD, he can now accurately throw his powder instead of weighing it.

I suppose that’s true, but I don’t know a lot of guys who are willing to put together 3 to 5 dollars in components, and then skimp on measuring the powder to save time but to each his own

Reactions: lash
I've tried Retumbo with 285 & 300 grain projectiles and H1000 gave better accuracy with both in my rifle. Each rifle and component combination has its own preference.

Please post the stabal hd results I got 10lbs but haven't had a chance to work with it yet.
I have been entirely unable to get more than 1lb at a time of retumbo in the several years I have owned the .338lm have been using RL26 with decent results.

It's not so much the cost as it is the ease of metering and the availability. Staball powders have historically been VERY good in the availability dept.

This is why I'm interested in StaBall HD results in the 338LM. While I was able to score an 8lb keg of Retumbo back in 2019, and don't shoot the 338LM that often, it's eventually going to run out. If I can get the same or better results with a more available powder than I'm down.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Is Nexus brass worth reloading other than for range time? Not much info on it doing searches. Figure it would be good for
taking someone to the range just to shoot.
TIA Greg

The idea of "plinking" with 338LM makes me cringe. Barrel, bullet, powder, primer, all adds up to several dollars every trigger pull. A Lapua case will take 10-20 firings if not overloaded, and I see no reason to buy ANY other brass for this caliber/cartridge.

Brass: Lapua
Primer: CCI 250
Projectile: Berger HPBT (Hybrid OTM) Scenar 300
Powder: VN570

Twist rate: 1:9.35
Accuracy International AX 338 27" barrel
OAL to Ogive: 3.035
COL: 3.895 (won't fit in mag)

I have some of the above test loads ready to go - starting at 78.5 gr going up 0.5 gr increments up to 82 gr. I was able to take one shot over the weekend before getting rained out. With 78.5 gr of powder I was at 2349 fp/s. Was expecting closer to 2,700 fp/s too.

Wondering if anyone has better loads for VN570 and if I should just pull the bullets and redo it. From what I can tell though 85.6 gr is the max charge. Is it the 570? Anyone have load data for the above components?

Last edited:
Where did you get your target speed of 3000 fps? That seems awfully high for a 300 gr bullet out of .338 LM.

Here’s Noslers load data for 300 gr projectile:

1693333092003.png

Reactions: DIBBS
Projectile: Berger Scenar 300

I have some of the above test loads ready to go - starting at 78.5 gr going up 0.5 gr increments up to 82 gr. I was able to take one shot over the weekend before getting rained out. With 78.5 gr of powder I was at 2349 fp/s. Was expecting closer to 2,700 fp/s too.

Wondering if anyone has better loads for VN570 and if I should just pull the bullets and redo it. From what I can tell though 85.6 gr is the max charge, but I'm so far away from 3,000 fp/s as is. Is it the 570? Anyone have load data for the above components?
Did you try actually looking it up on the Vihtavouri website? I did and in less than one minute, found this info. Again, 3000 fps is nowhere in sight. Not even close.

1693333408499.png

Your data is slow, even as compared to theirs. Why did you make your c.o.l. So long? Note that they used 3.681”, or 0.214” less than you. Yours are needlessly almost a quarter of an inch too long.

That’s why your load is so slow. Reseat those you already have loaded at 3.681” and finish your pressure testing.

Wondering if anyone has better loads for VN570 and if I should just pull the bullets and redo it. From what I can tell though 85.6 gr is the max charge, but I'm so far away from 3,000 fp/s as is. Is it the 570? Anyone have load data for the above components?

I get 3050fps out of a 36" .338LM Improved 40 with that bullet. For comparison, with a 27" barrel you should be looking at something closer to 2750fps.

Are you seeing pressure at 85.6gr? My go-to load for that combo for many years was 92.7gr seated a bit longer (DTA SRS).

No offense intended, but now would be a good time to ask if one has the requisite knowledge and experience to be reloading for this cartridge. Because it sure sounds like some novice errors are being made.

In response to all of you, yes I of course have vihta's data. I have it showing that a 78.6 gr powder charge should be giving me 2594 (call it 2600) and I'm 250 slower than that. I'm arguably slower than I should be regardless if I'm a novice or not.

I'm .214 inches longer because that's the seating depth that minimized jump. I took measurements about 30 times using an O.A.L gauge and felt real precise here.

And no offense taken, although you tell me if I should be asking for help at my local Whole Foods instead of here.

Take a look at the difference in charge weights listed for the other 300gr bullets on that page. The Sierra & Scenar have max charges much closer to what I use, yet for some reason their data for the Berger is quite a bit lower (though the Sierra load COAL is quite a bit shorter). We've seen this before in the VV data for .300NM where it doesn't seem to jibe with reality.

For comparison, here's a prediction from Quickload using the standard 3.681" COAL (note: mine are seated quite longer, so the 92.7gr works in mine):

1693338309186.png

Here's your COAL:
1693338379460.png

These are predictions, not ground truth.

Really appreciate that, I guess I'm now confused as to why Vihta is saying 85.6 gr is max charge for the 300 Berger but you're safely using 92. I'm pleased knowing that my velocity is consistent with what you just posted, thanks.

This is why it’s often wise to compare multiple sets of load data instead of relying on just one. But we all know in many cases that’s just not possible, which is why I use QL quite a bit, but also why we have these cartridge-specific threads.

Really appreciate that, I guess I'm now confused as to why Vihta is saying 85.6 gr is max charge for the 300 Berger but you're safely using 92. I'm pleased knowing that my velocity is consistent with what you just posted, thanks.
You are also understanding the relationship between COL and velocity for a given powder charge. In most cases the increase in internal volume caused by an increase in overall length means a decrease in internal pressure and the accompanying decrease in velocity. That 0.214” results in a considerable increase in internal case volume available for powder.

That’s why dogtown ran the numbers for your specific load length. That’s also why he is able to safely load 92 gr in his longer COL rounds.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
You are also understanding the relationship between COL and velocity for a given powder charge. In most cases the increase in internal volume caused by an increase in overall length means a decrease in internal pressure and the accompanying decrease in velocity. That 0.214” results in a considerable increase in internal case volume available for powder.

That’s why dogtown ran the numbers for your specific load length. That’s also why he is able to safely load 92 gr in his longer COL rounds.
Yep, the lightbulbs were going off (by which I mean on) over here while I was reading and rereading everything posted. Really appreciate the help.

I'm going to pull the bullets and restart, and to hell with the SAAMI specs!

Wondering if anyone has better loads for VN570 and if I should just pull the bullets and redo it. From what I can tell though 85.6 gr is the max charge. Is it the 570? Anyone have load data for the above components?
91gr N570 Lapua brass w/285 eld @2900ish 27” AXMC factory 338lm bbl.

91gr N570 Lapua brass w/285 eld @2900ish 27” AXMC factory 338lm bbl.
90 gr of H1000 with a 285ELD-M in Lapua brass

IMHO You're wasting your time with 0.5gr increments in a case the size of a 338LM.
I go in 1.5gr increments.
I’m going to load a few more in the 91-92gr range.

Last edited:
Yeah, in general your charge increments should be proportional to the capacity of the case. Smaller case; smaller step. Larger case; larger step.

you sure you weren't thinking 250 grains @ 3,000 fps.
300 grains at 3,000 fps.. if you barrel doesn't explode, I'd like to see that load. 300gr @ 2,800 fps is getting hot

you sure you weren't thinking 250 grains @ 3,000 fps.
300 grains at 3,000 fps.. if you barrel doesn't explode, I'd like to see that load. 300gr @ 2,800 fps is getting hot
The forest through the trees bit is that I was shooting slow based on the load data I had - not realizing that my extended c.o.a.l had effects on velocity. I learned something, which is great.

My bad for calling an oak tree a maple.

Also I just watched homie here send a 285 gr pill @ 2,900

The forest through the trees bit is that I was shooting slow based on the load data I had - not realizing that my extended c.o.a.l had effects on velocity. I learned something, which is great.

I push the 285gr ELD-M to 2900fps out of a short throated 26" 338LM, but it seems like the 300gr projectiles, while only marginally heavier, can't be pushed as fast. Not sure if it's a bearing surface thing, but I've read here and elsewhere that the 338LM just doesn't have the case capacity to push the 300gr projectiles fast enough to take advantage of their reported BC values.

just wondering, what load data you saw, that took a 300 grain, 3,000 fps in a 338LM around a 27" barrel. Just interested, that's all.
A 33XC can push that 300 to 3,000 easy (but's that's another thread) ;)
I believe @lash had the same question -
"Where did you get your target speed of 3000 fps? That seems awfully high for a 300 gr bullet out of .338 LM."

• Wow
Reactions: lash and Dogtown
Yeah, that's nuts. 300s @ 2750 fps is about as good as most people get out of 26-28" barrels. For comparison, I can push 300s to 3050 fps....with a .338LM Improved 40 and a 36" barrel.

Reactions: babyguppy and lash