• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .338 Monolithic Bullets? Which is the best?

jim996

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2018
Hi All

I tried some monolithic bullets last week in MY AI .338 Lapua. They were Peregrine - Glider Rangemaster 275 grain and I was disappointed to find that their avertised G7 of .484 ended up being about .395 when measured by adjusting my Kestrel BC down to the point I was achieving accurate drop data.

I wanted to ask if anyone is using these in competition yet and if anyone could recommend other brands for me to try. I looked at the LeHigh defence 245 grain but their LITZ BC in JBM ballistics is nowhere near their advertised numbers.

I'm using the 285 ELDM at the moment at 2855 FPS and I don't think I can find anything to beat it at the moment? Would be happy to hear opinions as it's expensive buying a bullet and then working up a load each time.

Pic for clicks......these are the Peregrine 275s
36C9E65C-01D0-4308-ABF8-E5A9E89F2C82.jpeg

Badlands precision makes a really good, high bc bullet. I’m running their 285gr in my 338 and I use a 1.04g1 and it’s held true to 2900yd. They list it at 1.00 though

I’ve had good luck with the Warner Flatline 255gr. Shooting them at a relatively mild 2945 FPS with a G7 BC of .450 is pretty dang close all the way out past 2000 yards, still supersonic.

5B9D8D39-688C-4526-BEA9-1279560E7D02.png

3037E6D4-A315-4D69-B4B3-0446E21712A5.png

Thanks guys. I will look into both of them.

Them flatlines are for the rich folks 😂
Oh. I wish that I had known that. Maybe I’m rich and only feel like one of the poors. I do know that they work though, so worth it when I’m shooting mile plus in Florida at sea level.

What twist is in your barrel please?
Honestly, I’m pushing a cheap assed factory savage 1:9 twist barrel on a 110 FCP with simple bedding and redneck mods. It’s only a 26” button barrel, which I am informed is not ideal for the Warner solids. If I can dig out of this year, I will build a proper rifle with a 30” cut rifled barrel in a 1:8 twist and a proper chamber with a decent throat. Then I could get 3100 FPS and distance more like Geno and maybe attend one of those poke-‘em out there meets for the sheer fun of doing so.

Oh. I wish that I had known that. Maybe I’m rich and only feel like one of the poors. I do know that they work though, so worth it when I’m shooting mile plus in Florida at sea level.

Honestly, I’m pushing a cheap assed factory savage 1:9 twist barrel on a 110 FCP with simple bedding and redneck mods. It’s only a 26” button barrel, which I am informed is not ideal for the Warner solids. If I can dig out of this year, I will build a proper rifle with a 30” cut rifled barrel in a 1:8 twist and a proper chamber with a decent throat. Then I could get 3100 FPS and distance more like Geno and maybe attend one of those poke-‘em out there meets for the sheer fun of doing so.
Thanks, I was wondering if you were shooting a 1:9 and if they were stable, I should have asked my question better.

According to Warner and to my ballistic calculator, they fall into the category of only nominally stable at a Miller stability of 1.32. I do not get one hole groups at 100 yards with these like I do with my Hornady 285 HPBT. However, I have had nothing but success at distance with them, with an SD or 4-5. I’m still happy with a roughly 14” “group” of three consecutive shots at 1840 yards I shot against a few pretty high end .375 Cheytacs one day.

According to Warner and to my ballistic calculator, they fall into the category of only nominally stable at a Miller stability of 1.32. I do not get one hole groups at 100 yards with these like I do with my Hornady 285 HPBT. However, I have had nothing but success at distance with them, with an SD or 4-5. I’m still happy with a roughly 14” “group” of three consecutive shots at 1840 yards I shot against a few pretty high end .375 Cheytacs one day.

Ery good to know, thanks for the information

Reactions: jim996

I’m a bit faster than 3100🤫 mine is built on a savage 112 too. 26” is a bit short for the big guns though. I have nothing against the flatlines, other than the price. The badlands are just as good, or better if you follow the AB finding at ringneck ranch this last summer and they cost quite a bit less. I should send you some 265s to try. .920g1 I’m pretty sure

Reactions: ACard and lash
I’m a bit faster than 3100🤫 mine is built on a savage 112 too. 26” is a bit short for the big guns though. I have nothing against the flatlines, other than the price. The badlands are just as good, or better if you follow the AB finding at ringneck ranch this last summer and they cost quite a bit less. I should send you some 265s to try. .920g1 I’m pretty sure

😳😳😳 thats incredible!

Reactions: Geno C.
Hi,

@jim996
I am assuming your from OCONUS since you are have tried Peregrine monolithics already.
You in ZA or EU?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi I’m in the U.K. We struggle for supplies of some of the brands.

Hi I’m in the U.K. We struggle for supplies of some of the brands.

Hi,

Yes you all do. That is why I asked.
FWIW it should be easier for you to get more brands and choices from the USA now that most firearm and ammunition stuff falls under Department of Commerce control instead of DDTC, Department of State Control.
The guys over at Badlands should be able to handle that paperwork for you pretty easy..

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: lash
Has anybody tried the Seneca bullets from PVA? I realize many of them need special twist rates, but hopefully others have hd success with them already.

What powders work well for the heavy mono bullets in a fat short case like a 300 WSM?

Thinking about building a 7 twist 30 cal later this year to shoot the 241 gn.