• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 rem ultra mag

Shooter1165

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Queensland, Australia
I am looking at building a new long range rig for using to 2000 yards, And it is going to be based on a Remingtom CDL in .338rum. I am looking at a 30 inch barrel,40moa rail, NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope and a XLR industries chassis. My main question is will the .338rum feed ok from the AI .338LM mags, Or will i have to look at my 2nd option of using McMillan A5 stock with HS-Precision trigger guard and mags.

Re: 338 rem ultra mag

Our son used the AI Mags for the 300 ultra, it worked fine after he used a milling maching and milled the ribs out of them that were pushed to the inside of the mag.....
Good Luck

With a 30" Barrel, I would do a .338 EDGE, the extra 100 - 150 FPS will really show up at the ranges your talking, and they make better use of the 30" barrel. The Rum is No Slouch, I have 2 buds that shoot'em and do Very well. Past 1400 the Numbers give Advantage to the EDGE.

26" or 28" Barrel seems to work better for the .338 RUM

Yes the 338-ultra mag case will feed out of the AI mag, however it must be tweaked, Mile high shooting supply out of Colorado did mine for 40.00 using the Lapua magazine,plenty of room to seat out the bullet due to the ,338 ultra bieng shorter than the lapua or 300 rem-ultra.

I suppose my 338 RUM might shoot better with a 26" or 28" barrel but with the 30" barrel my most accurate load with 300 SMKs runs at 2810 fps using 99 grains of US869 with no pressure signs. If the "Edge" will shoot another 100-150 fps faster than that then your well on your way to pushing 3000 fps.

The EDGE shooting 100-150fps faster than a 30" bbl RUM is a false economy...

The accuracy loads are always around 2800-2850fps in BOTH cartridges. Provided you have a long barrel, the end result will be so similar, its not worth splitting hairs over.

You might be able to get a bit faster in the EDGE, but most end up slowing them down to ~2800fps with the 300gr bullets for accuracy and therfore you get no gain over the 30" bbl RUM...

Go ahead and flame away, weve been down this road before...

No flaming from me, I totally agree with what your saying and don't quite understand the "Edge" thing.

I think part of the problem with the "Edge vs 338RUM" debate stems from the FPS gain with an Edge being stretched to 100-150fps. The Edge will consistantly on average shoot faster, with accuracy loads, than the 338 RUM but it's only, again on average, about 50-75fps faster. Only you can decide if that extra 50 fps is all that meaningful but anyway you slice it 50 fps is 50 fps and I can honestly say I have never talkd to a Edge owner that didn't find them extremely accurate and VERY easy to load for. That's not to say the 338 RUM isn't but I don't know a single Edge owner who isn't more than thrilled with their Edge.

I wasnt thrilled with mine... sold it, so now you know your first.

The brass sux, which was my biggest complaint, although i never tried the nosler brass- heard it was soft also tho, would have been more concentric id imagine.

Bastard wouldnt shoot unless i slowed it down to 2800fps. I had it upto 2960fps in a 30in bbl, pressures were a bit too much here, but no accuracy anyway...

If i were to build another .338, it would be a no brainer for me... 338Lapua or lapua/imp using lapua brass, on a CNC action - not some sloppy "blueprinted" Remington... i live and learn...

I am looking at the 338rum because try getting anything else in left hand here in AUS and i can get the Remington as they are in stock, I looked at HS-Precision and McMillan in left hand in .338LM and was told 12-18 months to get one built and into the country. And as far as the gunsmithing work i will get Pseco here in Brisbane to do it as he is 5 minutes from my home and builts some of the best custom actions and rifle in Australia. If i was a right handed shooter i would just go and buy an AI or a TRG off the shelf.

Ok you will be the first but for what it's worth, when I try and make my 338 Lapua Improved, which is built on a BAT HRPIC, shoot 3100fps it doesn't shoot for sheet and brass life goes out the window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok you will be the first but for what it's worth, when I try and make my 338 Lapua Improved, which is built on a BAT HRPIC, shoot 3100fps it doesn't shoot for sheet and brass life goes out the window. </div></div>

Are you shooting 300 SMK's?

Did you find another accuracy node over 2900 but less than 3100 fps? If you did, where did that node occur?

Thanks

I was actually being a bit of a smartarse and making the point that when you shoot something beyond, fps that is, its limit the groups and the brass go to hell in a hurry.

2950-2975 is where she likes it best and she has never made it to 3100 but at 3050+ the groups go from in the tenths to inches.

338 Edge's seem to have a pretty wide sweet spot around 2800 give or take 50fps and with decent brass life. Above that and both groups and brass turn to shit but a Edge isn't intended to run above that so why try then bitch because it won't shoot at those velicites. Just like my Lapua Improved, 2950 give or take 50fps is where they are capable of shooting well but if you try and push the 3050++ range they go south in a hurry.

I have both a .338 RUM and a .338 Edge.
The RUM is under 10lb and has a 26.5" #4 barrel and fires 250 grain bullets at 2950 fps.
The Edge is 14lb, has a 30" heavy barrel and fires 300 grain SMK pills at 2840 fps.
The lighter RUM gets a lot more use than the heavy Edge now days. Both can hit shit out past 1200 yards with ease.
Here is the .338 RUM

nargun1.jpg

I just plain like shooting the RUM more. Its light and fun to shoot. Here is a couple of pictures of them.
The .338 feeds easy through a Rem 700 Ultra magazine.
Here is the .338 Edge.
mypic32.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter1165</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at the 338rum because try getting anything else in left hand here in AUS and i can get the Remington as they are in stock, I looked at HS-Precision and McMillan in left hand in .338LM and was told 12-18 months to get one built and into the country. And as far as the gunsmithing work i will get Pseco here in Brisbane to do it as he is 5 minutes from my home and builts some of the best custom actions and rifle in Australia. If i was a right handed shooter i would just go and buy an AI or a TRG off the shelf. </div></div>

Have you considered shooting right handed? Just wondering?