• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338s compared to the 375s that shoot mono solids

Chandalar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
North Pole Alaska
I have been reading many posts about the high performance 375s and 338s, meaning the 338 Snipetac/Allen Mag, and the 375 Snipetac/Allen/Viersco Mag. If I want to set a rifle up to shoot the GS 295 grain SP bullets out of a 338 Snipetac, would there be a worth while performance gain form choosing the 375 Snipetac/Allen or the 375 Viersco Mag with the 414 monolithic banded GS customs. If any one has a cost and performance break down it would be greatly appreciated regarding these calibers. Chandalar

Re: 338s compared to the 375s that shoot mono solids

cost = same for either.

performance, well ballistically, it would appear the 338 would have a slight advantage except in ENERGY, due to the higher velocity, but this is all IN THEORY... its not that simple, read on...

keep this in mind;

1. GScustom bullets are very hard to get, when you order them they take about 4-6months before you get them. They are also quite expensive. This should improve in the medium term as they are setting up distribution and later, manufacturing in the USA. It will be some time before its all off the ground however.

2. The 338 cal GSC`s i dont beleive have ever been tested at the velocities a 338snipetac can produce ~ 3500fps. I doubt anybody knows how well they work, of they work at all - there may issues with the drive bands being stripped or stability etc... its uncharted territory.

So these hypothetical considerations makes it a tough call to build a very expensive rifle 1 way or the other. We know what works with jacketed bullets in these calibers, and some other brands of solid bullets also. But not specifically like you are considering. Another consideration is the LONG 338cal RMBullet, advertised BC 1.xxx, i dont know of anyone shooting those at 3500fps either? The rpms are probably too great to survive.

the gunsmiths themselves, like dave viers or kirby allan have tried a few projectiles and probably know the comparisons better than anyone, hopefully they will chime in...