• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3650 Yard shot @ Whittington Center(375 Chey-tac)

Wyfox

Gun Snob
Minuteman
  • May 24, 2012
    Wyoming
    Just seen this posted on the NRA Whittington Center facebook page.

Congrats to Billy Carter for his confirmed 2.07 mile(3650yd) engagement at 3pm yesterday during the Whittington U's extreme long range III class! with a 375 Chey-tac.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uPbQ3SYpXpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thats a ridiculous long shot, seems to be it could have been more effective with a 88mm at that range!

congrats on getting in the book!

I forgot to add, he was using a Vortex scope too! Thought some of you would like to know that.

It was an awesome shot. There will be more from our ELR class that Billy Carter made this engagement from and his interview right after the shot. Go to the Whittington U facebook page.

I don`t know what kind of bullet he used but I doubt it was a Sierra Matchking for that kind of distance.

That's crazy!

I'd like to see him hit a zombie target next (actual human size)!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't seem like those hose Cheytacs have really bad recoil or percussion blast for a bullet that can travel that far? Of course I'm observing this from my computer on my couch so what do I know.

That's real awesome! Wonder what one loaded cartridge costs if you reload it yourself

The recoil and percussion isn't bad at all on a 375CT, well, provided it's braked and reasonably heavy.

It's all about ballistic coefficient, 375CT... 350 grain solid - 1.1 BC - 3150 fps = awesome ELR performance.

Years ago it was $2.50 for a case + 130 grains of Retumbo and a 350 grain Hooker at $1.70. Could be half again as much today???

Last edited:
    steve123, what 350gr solid has a BC of 1.1? After talking to several bullet manufactures, getting BC that high is almost impossible to stabilize unless the exit twist is around 6.5 or so, then the bullet weight is around 400gr+. Also the velocity would be around 2750-2800fps.

steve123, what 350gr solid has a BC of 1.1? After talking to several bullet manufactures, getting BC that high is almost impossible to stabilize unless the exit twist is around 6.5 or so, then the bullet weight is around 400gr+. Also the velocity would be around 2750-2800fps.

That was the G1 BC I used to use with the 350 Hookers - 350 Jamisons, also the velocity the chrono gave me with a 32" 11.5 twist barrel. The farthest I shot was 2500Y and the come ups were close but not perfect. Back then I didn't know about stepped BC's, hadn't calibrated the scopes tracking and didn't have a expensive ballistic calculator.

I would have to say after shooting the 350gr .375 cal Jamison bullets, BC was closer to .900-.935 on good day.

Cutting Edge bullets maybe? Those seem to be about the best/most advanced .375 bullets out there. I know Kiwi Greg from LRH and here as well has a load for his .375 CT Imp which he gets 3000fps with the 425gr CEs. That`s a helluva long range load right there. Anybody done a .375-416 Barrett Imp? I bet you could get more speed still with the heavies with that. And whatever happened to the .375 Viersco Mag?

Another interesting development lately is the .500 AHR. Its basically a modernized .500 Jeffrey that can hold more pressure. ~145gr H2O capacity. That would make a great case to wildcat off of.

Last edited:
    Congratulations Billy,

We are very happy that you selected our CheyTac USA, LLC M200 Intervention in the .375 caliber. It looks like it payed off in very short order. We at CheyTac USA, LLC look forward to selling you more of our manufactured ammunition and components.

The problem with the 375-416IMP is powder. There really isn`t powder available to the general public that is slow enough. I have a cartridge based off of the .585 Nyati,(577 Nitro rimless), necked down to .408. Roughly 175grs of powder.

Thanks for the interest

As this is an open forum, we would prefer not to provide this information in open sources accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.
    cheytac.com

If you guys provided the ammo what are the specs?

I think it was mentioned that he was shooting the classic 350gr copper/nickel solid. Originally LRBT made them, then Hooker Tactical bought some of their equipment and started making them in 2008, then they were widely available through some kind of Cheytac/Jamison partnership until that ended a couple years ago. Maybe the new GA-based Cheytac is making them now? They used to be the only game in town but since then there are other manufacturers that are putting out quality .375 solids, however the original LRBT design is a top performer (though from my experience they fouled the bore crazy fast).

CheyTac USA, LLC in Georgia, was the manufacturer of the 375 solid used by Billy Carter. We use a specific turn on the projectile that is mirrored from the "Patented Balanced Flight Technology". The M200 Intervention® in .375 caliber was also maunufactured by CheyTac USA, LLC.

Respectfully,

Seize The Distance®

Its great to see you guys pushing the limits so the rest of us have something to work our way up to.

CheyTac USA, LLC in Georgia, was the manufacturer of the 375 solid used by Billy Carter. We use a specific turn on the projectile that is mirrored from the "Patented Balanced Flight Technology". The M200 Intervention® in .375 caliber was also maunufactured by CheyTac USA, LLC.

Respectfully,

Seize The Distance®

Dear CheyTac USA

What is the barrel twist in Billy Carters rifle?
    What twist will one need to shoot this 350 grn bullet of yours?

Cheers,

Master Diver

Thank,s to shooter,s like you for the amazing test,s that provide valuable information for the common guy,s trying to duplicate your accomplishment. I can,t wait to give my 375 snipetac a ride like you guy,s did. Simply amazing.

Thanks for the comments, y'all! It was a great experience and lookin' forward to doing it again. See y'all at Whittington U next year. :D