• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 cheytac brass?

Hunted

Private
Minuteman
I am new here and I have a brass question
What is the life on the Bertram 375 brass using semi hot loads and what about bullets? what bullets do you guys use in a 1:11.5 barrel and how long does the barrel live I'm thinking 1500 rounds with those ballistics and if you had to choose between a 416 Barrett and 375 for over 3000 yard what would you choose how much is per round compared to the Barrett using reloads :confused:

Yeah, wow. That was kind of a shotgun blast of "huh?wha?omg?eh?"

Don't bother comparing with the .416B; erase it from your memory. Bertram .375CT brass is good, comparable to the old Jamison brass and should last you at least 4-6 loads (some more, some less, it all depends). As for bullets, 350gr HPBT are popular because they are relatively cheap but for performance look at the solids, particularly the Predators from Dynamic Research. Cutting Edge and Lehigh also makes .375 solids, but I can't speak to their performance. 3000 yard shooting? Step back a bit and think about that one.

Welcome to the Hide.

Choose solids or jacketed bullets - don't mix. Well, you can try but you will find that solids are VERY picky about the condition of the bore and if you go and shoot a bunch of jacketed bullets you'll find the next batch of solids opening up. That are just clean the shit out of the bore between bullet types. Using a .375CT for hunting as well as attempting 3000 yard shots is going to be problematic because of this bullet situation. There are plenty of jacketed bullets that are well suited to hunting, but for ELR shooting you'll get better performance out of solids. Unfortunately, there's no free lunch.

The bertram brass has done very well for us. We have 8-10 reloads from some, with a MV of 3030fps. As dogtown Has said, there are alot of inexpensive bullets to pratice. For the very long range stuff you need a concentric projectile. The solids will do that for you. We also have a prototype Hollow Point for hunting so you dont have to change. Yes they cost a little more but you get the range for target shooting and hunting that you can expect from the 375 Cheytac. The Bertram brass has a thinner neck then the Jamison brass, and its not as brittle.

You will be hard pressed to get a .375CT that's under 15lbs, besides at that weight it would beat the shit out of you. I suppose you could drop a Stiller action into an XLR HD chassis and spin a thin contour barrel?

Yes, for dies call CH4D and they'll square you away.

Hunting Shack is selling a 333 grain solid that shoots really well. At 3100 FPS in Bartram Brass, no pressure, and if it continues to follow the ballistic program as well as it has so far, 2400 yards is possible.
The Sierra Match kings have been a slight dissapointment. The overall length of the bullets varies by .030". This can screw with your "believed" BC at longer ranges. Yes, I have sorted them by lengths and they shoot very well sorted... They shoot not as well unsorted..
Listen to Dogtown...

I picked up some "Cutting Edge" .375 solids in the 377 grain configuration. They also have hollow point solids for hunting at 375 grains each. I'm working on the 4th reload of Jaimison brass with some fairly hot loads. I have a goal of consistent hits at 2 miles (3,520 yards). Don't know if I'll ever achieve that goal. Rocky Mountain Bullets have a jacketed bullet with an aluminum tip that has a very impressive BC. They're expensive though! I do like their rebated boat-tail design.

15 lbs is a stretch. I followed the prescription outlined by Dogtown: XLR HD, Stiller 1.6", Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel and it looks like it'll be around 18 lbs. All the parts are in but assembly is not yet complete. The barrel is 85 ounces before fitting and w/o muzzle break.

Now thats light weight with great performance and still very shooter friendly with the right brake fitted.

KG
Is that weight at 11.5 lbs rifle only or all up weight with scope and rings
Just picked up my 2 carbon builds with 30" carbon fibre barrels which weighed in at 10lbs 13.5 ozs (338-378Wby) and 11 lbs 0.5 ozs (300 RUM) both rifles complete with scope and rings and 3 shot magazines and bottom metal
In 375 cal I would estimate adding another pound

KG
Is that weight at 11.5 lbs rifle only or all up weight with scope and rings
Just picked up my 2 carbon builds with 30" carbon fibre barrels which weighed in at 10lbs 13.5 ozs (338-378Wby) and 11 lbs 0.5 ozs (300 RUM) both rifles complete with scope and rings and 3 shot magazines and bottom metal
In 375 cal I would estimate adding another pound

Yep complete with scope, ready to go hunting, just need to add bipod & ammo :)