• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.375 Cheytac questions

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
Ok so I am rounding up parts and stashing money for a .375 CT and have a few questions.

It looks like 1:11ish is the standard twist, is that what I should go with for most bullets? I haven't picked a bullet yet.

Muzzle brakes? Recommend something effective. The rifle will be built as heavy as possible but I want to enjoy shooting this rifle.

I am going to use a Stiller action and a XLR chassis with the XLR bipod. You guys who have them make any suggestions, I'm sure I'll have more questions as this project goes along.

Thanks

Ok so I am rounding up parts and stashing money for a .375 CT and have a few questions.

It looks like 1:11ish is the standard twist, is that what I should go with for most bullets? I haven't picked a bullet yet.

Muzzle brakes? Recommend something effective. The rifle will be built as heavy as possible but I want to enjoy shooting this rifle.

I am going to use a Stiller action and a XLR chassis with the XLR bipod. You guys who have them make any suggestions, I'm sure I'll have more questions as this project goes along.

Thanks

10.5-11 twist is a great all around twist. We run a 10.5 twist on the HTI in .375 and the 330-370 class bullets are great. You are going to get a lot of differing opinions and I'm sure some will be opposite of what I am saying.

You can go faster twist and run a heavier bullet with a higher BC, but then you sacrifice velocity. Run the 350 class bullet at a higher velocity and you sacrifice BC. We have done it all. I chose to go with the more available and user friendly bullets that will give us the best of both worlds using a standard .375 CT chamber.

If you are dead set on running the heavier, higher BC bullet, run a modified chamber to get your cvelocity up to take advantage. Keep in mind, these are relatively low round count/life barrels. Fireforming is not your friend in this case.

The DTA brake on the 20 pound rifle chambered in 375CT recoils less than the 338 in an SRS platform. Dream to shoot. My last conventional 375 had a Lawten brake on it and was not too bad either.

to follow up:

You heard about DTA shooting the 375 CT to 3080 yards. We had sub MOA vertical. That was with the Cutting edge 352 MTac Solid. Factory rifle, factory ammo.

If you run a heavier, high BC bullet at a lower velocity, you gain nothing......

If you are dead set on running the heavier, higher BC bullet, run a modified chamber to get your cvelocity up to take advantage. Keep in mind, these are relatively low round count/life barrels. Fireforming is not your friend in this case.

Russ- are you saying the .375 with a modified chamber and heavy projectiles is an especially short barrel life entity, or just .375s in general? What would be your guess for normal .375 barrel life?

Love the HTI, thanks for your work on it.

If you keep the pressure down and velocity around 3000 fps you will have good barrel life. Try to stay around 350 grain bullet. It gives tremendous performance out to and beyond 3000 yards. I shoot a 16 lb 375 CT and the recoil is like my 300 win mag. It weights just a little more than my M24 did, but has 3 times the range. Check out Barker Machine works. Very light and accurate rifles.

Barker Machine isn`t making anything at this time. The 375 Cheytac is probably one of the best long range cartridges going. Go with Bartlein gain twist barrel (11-6.5 exit twist) 400gr Cutting Edge bullet. BC rules in the wind.

Barker Machine isn`t making anything at this time. The 375 Cheytac is probably one of the best long range cartridges going. Go with Bartlein gain twist barrel (11-6.5 exit twist) 400gr Cutting Edge bullet. BC rules in the wind.

425 CE in 375 DCM (375/408 imp) at 3100+fps takes some beating, 32" 12-7.25 Bartlein.

But in reallity there is very little difference between the 350s & 425s as far as wind goes, the 425s still come out on top, just.

If I want a tried and true set up that I won't have to do a bunch of experimenting with would I just go with an 11.25 twist and shoot non solid bullets?

My plan is to get proficient at 1500-2000 before I jump into pushing it to the outside edge of its usefulness. Down the road I can get into something specifically set up for that.

I'm pushing a 377 gr. Cutting Edge bullet with 134 gr. of Retumbo out of a 29", 1:11" twist at 2,950 fps. The gun was built by one of our advertiser/supporters of the "Hide", weighs about 20 lbs. with the scope and seems to be doing just fine. I'm not entirely sure, but he may have put his own proprietary muzzle break on it.

Barker Machine Works - Do a search here on them before you buy anything from John

You might check the recent postings about BARKER MACHINE WORKS by doing a search before you buy anything from them.

I think the last piece they are waiting for with mine is the Stiller action. Went with a Brux 1-11.5 tw at 30'' hoping to be able to shoot the 350gr SMK's with a suppressor. If they will shoot reasonably well at moderate distance i will be happy.

Watching this thread, as I have similar Chey-Tac interest in a similar build. Stiller, XLR, but I am still thinking 408.

I got talked into a 34" barrel, I don't plan on packing this rifle anywhere so I wanted to get the max velocity. Mine will have a Brux barrel as well.
I went back and forth on the .375vs.408 and it came down to super sonic range. The .375 has it wipped

Interesting, on the 375 over the 408. How many manufacters are there for bullets?

Ok, I'll edit this to say, I found a few sources of both. Looks like the 408 might have a couple more, but the 375 has the Sierra SMK, that in itself is worth it.

Last edited:
Far more .375 options compared to .408 - which is one of the reasons it became more popular.

Yes, the main reason is the .375 stays supersonic 400-600 yards longer than the .408, yet the original developers of the cartridge decided .408 diameter would allow them to corner the market on bullets. That was the case for a number of years, but things have changed since then and there are other options available...but not at the same level as the .375. For civilian ELR shooters the .375 can't be beat but for the .mil world .408 is more advantageous of the two because of developments of special application bullets (finally).

Yes, the main reason is the .375 stays supersonic 400-600 yards longer than the .408, yet the original developers of the cartridge decided .408 diameter would allow them to corner the market on bullets. That was the case for a number of years, but things have changed since then and there are other options available...but not at the same level as the .375. For civilian ELR shooters the .375 can't be beat but for the .mil world .408 is more advantageous of the two because of developments of special application bullets (finally).

I see, said the blind man. Very interesting.

I just hope Retumbo is a bit more available by the time mine is done. I have a whopping 3lbs of Retumbo right now.
Might have to shoot sparingly for a while.

You might check out Reloader 33 or Reloader 50 also for this rifle if you can't find Retumbo. Depending on what you are doing, they might work. I found for my 338LM because of the barrel length that RL-50 actually fits the rifle better----not saying it would be better for you, but it might be a viable substitute if the availability is better.

You might check out Reloader 33 or Reloader 50 also for this rifle if you can't find Retumbo. Depending on what you are doing, they might work. I found for my 338LM because of the barrel length that RL-50 actually fits the rifle better----not saying it would be better for you, but it might be a viable substitute if the availability is better.

I thank you for the information. I plan on trying a couple of different powder combinations. Cartridges like this remind me of the old days and having to use duplex loads.

RonA

Thankfully Retumbo has been available recently and I went from 3# to 24#. Action came in and I'll have the suppressor made in the next week.
I've been reading that a couple of people have been having good luck at shorter ranges using the 260 Gr. Accubond(Nosler) in the .375. If it
shoots it well at 400-600 yards I might get to use it a lot more shooting ground squirrels and Coyotes. My old .338 Lapua was great with the 200gr
Noslers out at that distance. My little .221 Fireball runs out of steam before it gets 1/2 way.

I'm using a 50 cal L.E. Wilson trimmer. You can call them up and either have them make a case holder based on the fired and resized cases I sent them (fired from a DTA-HTI) or send three fired cases from your gun. It only took about two weeks to get it.

Last edited:
Is reloader 50 a possible option for the 375 using 375 grain Rocky Mountain bullets? because I can't find any retumbo.

RL50 brings my 375/408 imp, 375 DCM alive, it gives better speed than H50BMG with the CE 425s & Retumbo with the 350 CEs, it's worth a try in the 375CT.

I just started loading the 375 grain Rocky Mountain bullet in my .375 Cheytac using 50BMG powder (AR2218).
Using the recommended accurate load of 138gn I am only getting 2975fps from my 32" 10 twist. I can get over 3100fps easy using Retumbo.
Anyone got any idea what the maximine charge with 50BMG might be with the 375gn Rocky? Pressure at 138gn seems mild and 140gn is starting to be a compressed load in my chamber.

I just started loading the 375 grain Rocky Mountain bullet in my .375 Cheytac using 50BMG powder (AR2218).
Using the recommended accurate load of 138gn I am only getting 2975fps from my 32" 10 twist. I can get over 3100fps easy using Retumbo.
Anyone got any idea what the maximine charge with 50BMG might be with the 375gn Rocky? Pressure at 138gn seems mild and 140gn is starting to be a compressed load in my chamber.

See if you can find some RL50 over there :)

Thanks I guess I'll get 16 pounds and if it doesn't work someone will need it

Don't buy a bunch if you don't need it. I ended up with quite a few 1# containers of Retumbo for my new rifle and if you want to try a pound or two of it let me know. At least you can see if your rifle likes it. Keep your eyes peeled in the mean time, but when delivery gets close let me know if you need some to try.

RonA

I'm running 1:10.5 with pretty good luck on a stiller action.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind it will proll be a few more months before I get it back

Dogtown ( actually, several guys here, excaliber, kiwi greg etc. )are a walking wealth of knowledge on the 375CT. I've picked several brains here in more than one thread. I have no complaints with my 1:10.5 as it does work on the 350gr solids and that is most of what I shoot but, I may shake things up with a gain twist anyway next time.

My former login was "jwoolf" but, for whatever reason, I could not log on and the old old email address I used with the account, I no longer have so, I'm now joew instead of jwoolf.

Last edited: