• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 RUM build it in place of CHEYTAC

Coyote3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Wyoming T.S.
Does anyone have any data on this caliber or used it for LR hunting. Is it practical or just go with the 338 RUM instead?

Re: 375 RUM build it in place of CHEYTAC

I have shot long range with a 375 H&H and the RUM is even hotter.
It will kick the s--- out of you.
The 338 may have better SD bullets, the Brits love the 338 Lapua,
so.....
Question is, what is long range. I live upstate WY and have yet to find anything I can't gey within 400 yards of.
Where you at?

Had one in a Rem700ss, that rifle was not near heavy enough for a cartridge that runs on the heals of the 378 weatherby, it was very accurate though.

With 98 grains of H-4831sc (max load in the hodgdon manual), it would push a 300gr partition to 3000 fps without any pressure signs. That is about 200 fps faster than it should have been going. maybe it was just a fast barrel, i dont know. I dont recommend trying to push them that fast, it was safe in that rifle, but may not be in another. Besides, the recoil with that load was brutal.

I killed one bull elk at a tad over 300 yards with a 270gr barnes x at about 2900 fps in 2005, and it worked very well. It is more rifle than i need around here so i sold it.

Im not real up to date on the selection of suitable long range bullets in that caliber, but i think it would make a decent long range caliber in the right rifle, and a good muzzle break.

I agree with the above poster about getting as close as i can to game animals, i feel i owe them that respect.

Forgot to ad my load with the barnes x was 85.5 grains of reloader 15 in new remington brass and cci large magnum rifle primers. These were the old x bullets not TSX's. This is a max load in the barnes manual and would shoot clover leafs in by rifle and recoil was not too bad.

Will use for hunting but was going to use it for LR target and general reach out and touch something rifle instead of a 50 cal. Use a 300 Win for elk hunting so don't need it for that. Just wanted to see the general opinion on it compared to a Cheytac or if it would even compete.....

I think i would go with the 338 RUM for long range work, i think you would have a better selection of suitable bullets. Or better yet you could neck up the 300 RUM to 338 and have a bit more case capacity. I think its been done but cant remember what its called. Kind of a poor mans 338 Lapua.

The Remington brass does not like to be reloaded many times, unlike Lapua. Reloading data also makes the 338RUM and 338LM look very comparable, but when hand loading I think there would be a huge difference.