• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

390 grain Hornady A-Tip load development 375 Cheytac

I loaded the first lot of Atips up today today

With a “hard” jam in my chamber I was at 4.395”COAL, talking to some others shooting this projectile some were having success at 0.1” jump and others said 0.04”, I started with 0.04” and seated to 4.350” COAL, I don’t have a BTO measurement I need a new wheel for the Forster tool for 375 cal
BB brass, Fed gold primer, 2218 powder

I only have the CH4D dies but they are producing repeatable ammo, the neck tension looks to be 4 or 5 thou, getting tight but not silly, with SMK’s I had 3 tho but that was with many times fired brass

I have access to ADI 2218/H50BMG, I loaded from 130 to 134gr, at 134gr I had zero pressure sign the bolt fell open easy, no swipe or stamp on the case head and a SD of 5 on a 2825fps average, I will do another test from 134 upto 137 and see what can be achieved, I hoping to find the next node before pressure gets to high would be good to get to 2900fps but not sure I will achieve it

Just doing pressure tests at 100 everything grouped better than expected

We also tested the Bullet Seeker chrony out, with the parabolic adapter, same deal as before the muzzle blast of the Cheytac is to much for it to get reliable readings, the parabolic adapter did get more readings than without though, some strings only getting one shot reading, positioning under the barrel was best we got 3 readings out of a 5 shot string, the velocities matched the cheap and nasty Cauldwell chrony that reads every shot, the program for the bullet seeker chrony is good though once it is worked out, with smaller guns it is all good.

Last edited:
5CA9342A-2A91-46CE-BB18-FC0A04C38BD2.jpeg

Was a 5 shot string, first shot failed to read at all, 4th shot didn’t have enough detections for a real reading was only like 30 detections and a silly velocity, the program highlights these shots to edit them out

Reactions: 232593
Hill Top.

Im .025 off and they are wicked. 375 enabelr. Use something like retumbo powder.. 2925fps for me

In my HTI 375CT i had early pressure signs with Retumbo ( AR2225) ...also had several hang fires even with 215m,s,
Thats odd... my case is at 90-95% capacity for sure. 124gr retumbo.
215m,s also.

I tried h50bmg and couldnt get enough in the case. And vhit n570 seemed too horny pressure signs but fast fps.

Retumbo is too fast for a ct and 390s
Geno, the case capacity of the enabelr to the CT is basically the same, why do you think retumbos too fast in the CT case, do you think it has to do with the longer more slender case of the CT?

Geno, the case capacity of the enabelr to the CT is basically the same, why do you think retumbos too fast in the CT case, do you think it has to do with the longer more slender case of the CT?
They aren’t basically the same at all. Look at the prints again. CT is bigger

Tested the ATIPS with 136 grains of RL50 & Bertram Brass again. .075” of the lands was about 1 MOA. .100” off the lands was about 1/4-1/3 MOA. However the ES went to shit. I may need to adjust the charge?

Tested the ATIPS with 136 grains of RL50 & Bertram Brass again. .075” of the lands was about 1 MOA. .100” off the lands was about 1/4-1/3 MOA. However the ES went to shit. I may need to adjust the charge?
Your “n” for the SD and ES needs to be 10-20 shots before you draw conclusions. Use Labradar during some long range work and re-evaluate later if the .100” off needs adjustment is what I would do.

Your “n” for the SD and ES needs to be 10-20 shots before you draw conclusions. Use Labradar during some long range work and re-evaluate later if the .100” off needs adjustment is what I would do.
When you do the 10-20 shots does your RL50 load ES stay in the single digits still? When you do how much time do wait between shots? I’m going to give that a go when I get a chance to shoot on private land out to 1600m, landowner has a Labradar he will set up.

Anyone plan on trying out 24N41? I’m debating it but I think I have a decent H50BMG load and am getting there with RL50 & Bertram brass, so I’m not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. Really starting to like these ATIPS.

Reactions: Alien61
Anyone plan on trying out 24N41? I’m debating it but I think I have a decent H50BMG load and am getting there with RL50 & Bertram brass, so I’m not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. Really starting to like these ATIPS.
I tried it. No advantage. Can’t fit enough in a case to get acceptable speed. Either that or can’t get speed without pressure I forget which but I abandoned it either way.

Was a 5 shot string, first shot failed to read at all, 4th shot didn’t have enough detections for a real reading was only like 30 detections and a silly velocity, the program highlights these shots to edit them out
BTW thanks for the report on the bullet seeker and muzzle break issues.

I run suppressed, so I have to put my LabRadar is safe distance in front of the muzzle and just off to the side. In order to get the acoustic sensor to pick up.

390 ATIP in stock at precision reloading
and even cheaper at Brunos
and even cheaper at Graf:

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C. and 232593
390 ATIP in stock at precision reloading
and even cheaper at Brunos
and even cheaper at Graf:
Awesome, thank you!!!

Excessive twist is a fool’s pursuit. I know u said not your rifle. But in general
Gents, I have recently won some competitions in ELR 1 and 2 mile with my .375 CT, setup is as follows:

VICTRIX factory .375 CT THRONE rifle
1:8 twist
38inch Bartlein barrel
Running necked down .408 peterson brass
VVN570 propellant
Hornady ATIPs 390gr
TPL is 4.310 inches
Load is 124.5gr
Average temperature in SA (this is where we shoot) is 30 degrees C.
3009 fps is the average (after the barrel has set, took about 130 shots) and before that it was 2980fps on a 0.8SD over 5 shots with a 2 ES.
I now get a SD of 4 and ES of 8 over 20 shots (including cold bore).
I really struggled to get to this point and hope this can help other fellow shooters.

Gents, I have recently won some competitions in ELR 1 and 2 mile with my .375 CT, setup is as follows:

38inch Bartlein barrel
VVN570 propellant
Hornady ATIPs 390gr
TPL is 4.310 inches
Load is 124.5gr
3009 fps is the average (after the barrel has set, took about 130 shots) and before that it was 2980fps on a 0.8SD over 5 shots with a 2 ES.
I really struggled to get to this point and hope this can help other fellow shooters.
Nicely done

Did you put any specific neck tension on your brass for that awesome 20 shot ES?

I’m not familiar with the Victrix Throne Is it a new model?

Last edited:
Nicely done

Did you put any specific neck tension on your brass for that awesome 20 shot ES?

I’m not familiar with the Victrix Crown. Is it a new model?
@Alwyn Landman
What's the COAL length on the Magazine; I didn't see the spec on line (just curious).. thanks

38inch Bartlein barrel
VVN570 propellant
Hornady ATIPs 390gr
TPL is 4.310 inches
Load is 124.5gr
That is quite some awesome stuff! Great to hear you're getting great results with those projectiles through a 1:8 barrel. Some people were having me believe they were going to explode somewhere down range mid-"flight". Can't wait to get my new 375 barrel and really give those ATips a try.

Nicely done

I’m not familiar with the Victrix Throne Is it a new model?
Hello mate,

Yes, I use a .1 mandrill so 0.374 is what I use, I use .1 with all my brass right through from my 6.5CM which I use for PRS, 338 all the way through to my 50cal work rifle.

Hope this helps.

That is quite some awesome stuff! Great to hear you're getting great results with those projectiles through a 1:8 barrel. Some people were having me believe they were going to explode somewhere down range mid-"flight". Can't wait to get my new 375 barrel and really give those ATips a try.
100%, Ive heard the same, apparently one should not push past 3020FPS with a fast twist, so far has not happened to me.

Nobody has 20 shot ES in single digits. Almost nobody.
Almost nobody, unless the labradar lies, owner of the range couldn’t believe it either, below is ones from my labradar.

Attachments

• E60B114B-6C5E-44C7-8FC8-F89C354B14EB.jpeg
    E60B114B-6C5E-44C7-8FC8-F89C354B14EB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • 27D0CF23-832C-4E22-B30C-25C342F469E0.jpeg
    27D0CF23-832C-4E22-B30C-25C342F469E0.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 88
  • FA67459F-5374-4391-A22A-6CBC5A486E95.jpeg
    FA67459F-5374-4391-A22A-6CBC5A486E95.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 95
Almost nobody, unless the labradar lies, owner of the range couldn’t believe it either, below is ones from my labradar.
I’d be very happy with that. What powder and what length barrel? 390 ATIP Inprwsume?

Do any of you A-Tip guys have leftover/excess Hornady red polishing bags that you'd be willing to part with?
I'm looking for some to replace the mesh bags on my brass catchers. I contacted Hornady and they are not offering the bag by itself.
I'd be willing to pay postage or make a commensurate donation to the 'Hide [I'm sure Lowlight would appreciate some extra Christmas cheer this time of year].
Thanks for your considering my request,
steveH
I have a shit ton of them if you want them. I'll send them free in a flat rate box if you're in the USA and you still want them

I've run the numbers over and over in QL for 24n41 trying to find a place for it, and it just never got the speed to compare with H50BMG or RL50 so I never cracked the jug. I never never hardly ever have seen anybody (ever) reporting that their load has settled on that powder. So I agree juice not worth squeeze

I'm looking at H50BMG because I'm worried about temp stability of RL50 but first, I'm not sure I've seen much temp instability with RL50 (though I'm sure it's there) and second I don't wanna work up another load (H50BMG wasn't available when I started this quest), and 3rd I'm afraid I'd lose velocity. Anybody have a head to head comparison of the 2 powders with the 390 (or even the 750 AMAX in 50 BMG, my other application for RL50 currently)?

I'm looking at H50BMG because I'm worried about temp stability of RL50 but first, I'm not sure I've seen much temp instability with RL50 (though I'm sure it's there) and second I don't wanna work up another load (H50BMG wasn't available when I started this quest), and 3rd I'm afraid I'd lose velocity. Anybody have a head to head comparison of the 2 powders with the 390 (or even the 750 AMAX in 50 BMG, my other application for RL50 currently)?
I can only relate to RL50 and 400cels - I figured out a decent load late fall , 2990 ave 4.5sd ambient ~ 90deg , I was screwing around with seating depth in early feb ~ 40 deg , the foulers ( same load, cbto) ran across the LabRadar at 2983 ave sd 6 , at 500yrds no viable difference in poi, your mileage may of course differ - and it could have been any number of factors. The 2990ave was 10 x groups of 5 rounds each , the 2983 was 1 group of 3 , statistically insignificant

Reactions: secondofangle2
I have a friend in Prescott AZ that shoots FCSA competitions and apparently has set some records using RWS Primers & Brass with 795 grain TENX projectiles and RL50. He did a test in the summer with ammo at the current temperature and some that was in an ice chest. He states that he only observed a single digit overall increase in ES.

I can send you what I have, both tests conducted in Southern Arizona winter temps if you like. Same brand of brass & same lot of primers.

I finalized my H50 BMG ATIP load last month in 50 degree temps. When I get my HTI chassis back from DT I’ll chronograph it again in the 70-80 degree weather and post results.

I know the same guy you do (D.A.) and he told me the same thing. He also supplied my RWS brass and primers for 50 BMG

WRT H50BMG temperature sensitivity in the .375 CT, George (former owner of Rocky Mountain Bullets) told me a few years back when he was giving me the load data for his 375 grain bullets that in temperatures below 0 H50BMG will have hangfires. Maybe the FED215 does not have enough energy for reliable ignition of H50BMG at those temps? Never had an ignition issue with Retumbo even at -15. Maybe RL50 is good to go bellow 0 as well? Guess it depends on your area, I don’t have to worry about extreme cold temperatures here.

Head to head for velocity or temp sensitivity?

I know the same guy you do (D.A.) and he told me the same thing. He also supplied my RWS brass and primers for 50 BMG
Speaking of 50BMG RWS.....just got 200 new cases..:)

Attachments

• 20230214_202534.jpgwww.jpg
    20230214_202534.jpgwww.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230214_202537.jpgwww.jpg
    20230214_202537.jpgwww.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230214_202611.jpgwww.jpg
    20230214_202611.jpgwww.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 29