• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

40X HELP

burgessb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
in the woods
I am thinking about odereding a 40x from cmp. they are out of complete hb actions. i know pt&g has the bolts but i have a few queations.

1. is the pt&g bolt complete?

2. only 40x's left at CMP are standard barrel. how hard to find a replacement barrel??

3. is it worth all this?? i really love reminton 700 type rifles and i know these are shooters.

thanks for the answers in advance

Re: 40X HELP

the CMP inventory that was at camp perry was rough. IMHO not worth the cost to finish/correct

You're basically buying the action which will probably be a 722 style. The PTG bolts are going to be 2012 before you can get one.

Might be better off looking elsewhere - actually, that one in the link is nice... ignore the stock.

so how much trouble to fit a reg barreled 40x int o rem 700 stock. looks like thats all they ahve left and i may just get one before they dry up? thanks

The standard barrel is basically the same as a varmint or PSS barrel contour. The HB is quite a bit heavier.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker and other sites. As was stated above, one can buy a complete rifle damn near cheaper.

You have the 40-X and 40-XB. The XB is a heavy barrel and it is VERY heavy. The XB is based on the 700 action and the x is based on the 722 action. Both will work in a Remington 700 stock, but the 40-X will require minor cutting of the stock around the safety area. The 40-XB is drop in to 700 stocks. Same with trigger groups.

Here's one of my 40-XB's with a 40-X bolt in it for the pic:

IMG_2458-1280.jpg

I have another 40-XB that has a PT&G bolt, which is much nicer and looks like a Rem 700 bolt (other than the boltface and lug placement).

The biggest issue with building up a 40-X(B) is finding a bolt if you don't already have one. PT&G won't be making more until at least Summer 2012.

There were two 40X in the FS section a couple days ago (good price IIRC)... If I didn't already have one I'd have jumped on one of them.

Yep,

"J&C" and I are both looking to sell.

His is USMC and mine is US.

But don't let me dissuade you from a project
wink.gif

Here is a picture of the 40xb stock and some parts I recently bought. I was thinking the stock would work with my 40x standard barrel but the barrel channel in this xb stock was cut way too wide to use. I am looking for someone to trade stocks.
40x.jpg

Shamrock this all depends on what you want to use the 40x for. If all you need is a gun for plinking pop cans the cost is not worth it. I own several anshutz 22s and can honestly say they are better suited for hunting than the 40x.At least the type of hunting I am doing, Mostly tree rats. Also consider that just getting the parts together is not the end of this. You have to know someone who can put them all together.And This skill don't come cheap.

IMAG0038.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg
IMAG0035.jpg
Here is the rifle I just put together I had an expert gunsmith cut and recrowed the barrel to 22"

i want to use it for some accurate 22 fire. i want to put it in a hs precision stck just like my 308 and my 223.

i guess the main reason i want one is they are getting hard to find and they look like my other rifles.

but i am also thinking of buying a 10/22 and playing with it some until i can get/build a 40x. decisions decisions

+1 on what Doofsking said.
Check Rimfire central and Gunbroker. They come up there all the time.
I dont think they are worth the hassle to parts build for what you end up paying for a single shot rig. I did it once and it was not worth it to me and that was long ago when they were cheaper. But, if you gotta have the clone 700 thing, you will have to pay more for it.
There will probably be more of barreled actions coming up in circulation because of the recent sales so it may save you some money to wait and keep your eyes open.

Here's a 40x that I just got put together. I built it to shoot 22 f-class. Might look like what you have in mind of putting together.

Specs:
CMP Rem 40x barrel/action heavy
PTG 40x bolt
Jewell trigger
H-S Precision stock for Rem 40x
IOR 20 MOA base
Warne 30mm rings
Vortex scope
B-square level
Eagle stock pack

speakspics500.jpg

speakspics501.jpg

I'd stick with the standard barrel and see how it shoots. The HB is HEAVY. Any stock that fits a 700 varmint barrel will fit that rifle after you relieve a area around the safety lever (easy). Bell and Carlson has some decent sharp shooter/target stocks for about $225 or else use any 700 varmint/target stock you see used for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is the rifle I just put together I had an expert gunsmith cut and recrowed the barrel to 22"</div></div>

What kind of stock is that?