• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 454 Casull Revolver

Hey All,

I am eyeing a Taurus 454 Casull revolver at a local pawn shop as a potential sidearm for hunting in Idaho. Is this caliber overkill? I am trying to find balance between knockdown power and manageablility. I am a 6ft 2in guy weighing 245lbs so i can prob handle a 454 better than a smaller guy...but still wanting your opinions.

the asking price for the gun is like $830...but if i get your collective sign-off on it I may bid around $720 (what they are going for at BudsGunds.com)

thank you!

Re: 454 Casull Revolver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a .50AE and be done with it. </div></div>

crazy.gif

Anyway, I carry a .454 Casull when I am hunting in brown bear country, but I would shy away from a Taurus. I have personally held more than one that had timing issues (Raging Bull), and have heard even more bad stuff with Taurus side arms.

Super Redhawk is The Ticket...

.454 Casull is extremely versatile, but if you handload and cast your own bullets, the .480 Ruger might be even more to your liking.

No way I would pay that for a tuarus. You can get a ruger for the same or less. Also check out the 500 & 460 smiths you can get the standard model for around 1000. Or go all out and get a used freedom arms I think Cabelas
Has some used ones in the 1300-1400 range

The Ruger is more awkward to carry. I carry the Freedom Arms, 7 1/2" bbl, easily in a cross draw holster and it doesn't get in the way of a rifle. In fact, it's my only hunting/backpacking revolver: 250gr Hornady HPs at 1550fps makes for a load hotter than a 44 Mag in a very controllable package.

Love my Freedom Arms in .454, could load it light or load it HEAVY - like a .44 mag but with more potential on the upper end.
But remember, like the .500 S&W it is too much for many users...

The grip of the single action makes it easier to shoot with heavy loads, allowing the pistol to roll in the hand and not slap the palm.

Cant recommend the Taurus. The best is the FA83, and often they can be found on the used market quite reasonably. Mine is a hammer!

I will add one here, have a Raging Bull 8 3/8" and a 2x Burris that I load and cast for. I have never had any issues in the last 6 years I have owned it. Easy to clean, handle, fire, I find the grip comfortable, the heft of the pistol makes my hottest load (36 grains of H110 under a 300 grain LFP)manageable. NOT FUN, thats why we have 45LC loads too, but manageable and quite accurate. I am 5'6" and 190 lbs. I have fun banging steel at 200 yards when there are those shooting WinMags at 100 on a 600 range(not knocking training on a 100). Bought with the intention of being a bear/deer pistol, never seen bear, but has dropped more than a dozen whitetail/mules for me. NOW, $800ish is dumb, I payed $500 for mine total and remember a few out there for that price at the time. Though you may be looking at the newer Judge line of pistols. Still wouldn't pay it.