• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.458 SOCOM Ballisitics? (Novice quesiton)

I was reading an article (RRA LA-15 .458 SOCOM review) and they say the .458 SOCOM has around the same energy as a .308 or NATO equivalent? I seen a ballistics chart on the .458 and I noticed the energy wasn't very high.

So I have to ask, what'd be the benefits of the .458 over the .308 which is readily available? If they both have roughly the same ft. lbs of force, how is the .458 any harder hitting? Obviously the .458 throws a heavier bullet, just slower, but wouldn't any differences show up on the ballistics chart? Does the heavier round = better penetration/stopping capabilities and that doesn't show on the ballistics chart?? Am I missing something?
frown.gif

Re: .458 SOCOM Ballisitics? (Novice quesiton)

The SOCOM is not a LR round; it's more comparable to a 45-70 than a 308. It's going to stomp on the 308 for bullet weight and will take down just about anything you want it to. It fits a standard AR-15 platform, and common bullet weights range from 300-450gr. It can run up to 600gr (subsonic) bullets of the right type.

The 308 will stomp the SOCOM for distance, but you're going to max out under 200gr. You need an AR-10 platform with this.

Cycles 500gr subsonics, standard ar-15 platform.
68gr Aluminum HP's at 3000fps, 300gr JHP's at 1800fps (ive hit 2000), 405gr JSP's at 1750fps, 300gr TTSX from barnes, as well as 330gr, 450gr, 500gr solids. Speer had a tungsten core 600gr Grand Slam for awhile too. Stopping power/terminal effect inside 100 yards is dramatic to say the least. Compare that to the .223 rem in the same platform.

its kind of comparing apples and oragnes but i would say inside 150yds 458 socom would be your best bet. over 150 yds go 308. you might be able to streach that distance to under 200 go 458 and over go 308

Penetration and wound channel profile are pretty much determined by bullet construction and its velocity. Without going too much into terminal ballistics, basically the bigger the hole is the more blood is going to pour out of it. When you use a pointy bullet the tissue is pushed aside--when you use a blunt bullet the tissue is ripped away by blunt trauma. Envision a sewing needle going through a t-shirt versus a length of re-bar. Energy numbers don't kill quite the same as a big bloody hole does. The most important thing is shot placement of course..

I can't think of any situation where I would rather have a .458SOCOM over a .308WIN.

The .308 is devastating up close and can still drop a target at half a mile.

Now one spot where the .458 does interest me, is that it is legal in Indiana for "pistol caliber rifle" hunting. Whereas the .308 is not legal.
wink.gif

I'd take a heavy big bore bullet for hunting inside of 200y any day.

My dad and I developed what is effectively the 450 Bushy in 44 caliber, and we did it almost 10 years ago now.

His test rifle has not failed to drop an animal within 50ft of where it stood ever, and only 1 time out of the last 8 deer did the animal go anywhere. That deer made it 40-50ft and crashed under a tree. Here's a thread I started about big bore and cast lead bullets, he wrote up his experiences with it. This is 5 seasons of hunting condensed.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1474793#Post1474793

The big bore bullets don't need to be going all that fast to cause huge damage, and you also don't get the massive meat destruction like you do with a high velocity round.

For East Coast hunting where shots are rarely outside of 200y, and more than likely are inside of 100y, the 458 SOCOM is an awesome deer round.

Also, high velocities make bullets "blow up" and if you're shooting a boar, giving it a dose of 300gr that drills in one shoulder and out the other will stop it way faster than putting a 150gr partition across the brisket.

Haven't heard much about it but seems the .458 would be great for in city fighting where you won't get long clear shots going street to street. Thats the first thing that comes to mind.

May have to do some more research on this round. Sounds interesting if nothing else.

from my reading on the .458 is that it was designed to be a carry with you upper. So when you have a enemy(it was made for the military) that is bunked up behind something it is swap the top of your ar and take them out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQdRkG5Hko

some one feel free to correct me if I have read wrong.

jc- you're pretty much on target with that. it's also made for close quarters weapon, since a 300 or 350 RN will hit like a ton of bricks. Up close the momentum that the round carries is well in excess of what the 223 produces.

that is what I thought, have thought about it as a nice bear/cougar gun o shit gun, kinda hard to beat 9 rounds of that stuff in one mag, I think you could knock down a bear rather quick with one. but back to the op question, I would only want it for closer range 150-175yrds and down, most of my shots would be like I said on a charging bear, or if I had time a charging cougar, so close

Have you ever thought about the 450 Bushmaster? Pretty awesome ballistics there also.