• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45ACP brass w/ small size primer pockets

hilbillee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Franklin, NC
I was reloading some 45's today and ran across a problem I have never seen before and was wondering if anyone else could tell me about it. Some of the brass takes small pistol primers instead of the large ones. The brass I am talking about is headstamped Winchester NT 45 ACP +P. I have never seen this before. I did load seven cases with small pistol primers and they fired okay w/ no problems. Any ideas why the brass was made like this?

Re: 45ACP brass w/ small size primer pockets

Speer also makes SPP 45 acp cases. Since a +P loads has higher pressure, some maker use SPPs (probably magnums) because there is thought to be less chance of primer setback. How this ties into my 44 Mag using LPPs is beyond my pay grade.

Winchester uses a "green" primer in the NT stuff.

Segregate the brass (LP - SP) and load.

You could sell the SP brass too.

NT stands for non-toxic, according to my reading the priming compound detonates more violently than regular primers. Look at the flash hole on your case, it should be larger than a standard flash hole. The enlarged hole is said to keep the primers from setting back.

I have read where people just reload them with small pistol primers and do OK. I would suggest backing off your powdercharge and working back up.

What he said.^^^^^^^^^

I seperate them and load them with SP primers. I don't run max loads so I use the same powder charge. No problems thus far but YMMV.

Thanks for the info guys. I had already separated them by maker. So that took care of the small vs. large primer pockets.