• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 case length with bullet problems now!

shepherm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2006
West Oklahoma
I just trimmed 50 rounds of LC 5.56 and was thinking maybe I trimmed to much. I am loading for a 5.56 AR15 and read the Hornady manual and it says 1.750, is this right for 5.56?

Re: 5.56 case length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shepherm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Hornady manual and it says 1.750, is this right for 5.56? </div></div>
Yes. The 223 and 5.56 are the same externaly. The 5.56 runs at about 62K PSI, and the 223 Rem runs at about 52K PSI, which is the main difference.

Thanks for the quick reply! I now have another problem!! I trimmed the cases and started to measure powder for working up a load. Buy the way I am using Hornady BTHP 68gr, LC07 brass, cci 400, and Varget. I started at 24 grs and went up by .2 but when I got to 24.4 grs you can see what looks like a seating mark on the bullet. When I get to 25.8 grs you can really fill the mark made when seating them.

It is just below the tip and it is a groove not just a mark like I first said. Here is a picure of the loaded bullet:
DSC_0162.jpg

Thanks again

Shepherm, I had the same problem with Varget and .223. It was filling the case too full and the bullet was getting marked because it was compressing the powder. I switched to Benchmark and that resolved the problem.

Thanks deisel

Dang I was hoping you were not going to say that! I have about 26 lbs of varget that I use for the 22-250 and was going to use it for the 223 and 308 also. I was wondering if that is why hornady does not go that high on the varget charge in their book but hodgdon data does.

I had posted a Varget question on another website. My book says 27gr is max load for 223 and I thought there was noway to get that much powder in there. The guys suggested along drop tube or vibration to settle the powder.

Try H-335, it meters great(at least thru my Dillon)and about 25grs. seems to work for me. YEAH, I load the old 55grn FMJ bullet but I have 2, 5gal buckets of them to burn up.
Respectfully,
LG

Ok I cleaned my seating die and it made it much better (there was some stuff in it). I also forgot I just got a x-die set from midway in last week( I ordered it February 12th) so I took the seater out of it and tried it. It seems even better, but it leaves a scratch on the bullet. I may try to smooth out the new seater stem and see if that does away with the scratch. Either way it is a lot better than it was! Thanks for everyone’s help.

I made my own drop tube out of an old pen body. It is about 5" in length and works great. I have not tried to seat a bullet yet but the powder is about 1/8 to 3/16 lower than without using the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bfoosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try a powder drop tube, they work quite well.... </div></div>
They work to get about an extra grain or two in, but are a pain in the arse to use. I go to a faster powder (less charge weight) or a ball powder when you get overly compressed charges.