• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.50DTC loads Pic Heavy!!!

The Mechanic

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego County Ca.
Is a repost of this but since It was reloading I thought I would give it another go.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1162788#Post1162788
Finally got out this weekend for some shooting and was able to get some trigger time as apposed to loading a helping everyone like usual. So I didn't get as many pics as I wanted to but next time I promise
Started out the night before loading some .50. Thought it would only take a couple of hours but turns out I didn't get to bed until about 3:00 in the morning. what a night.
Tumbled, annealed, tumbled again on the left then deprimed on the right
Picture038.jpg

Primer pocket swaged
Picture039-1.jpg

Picture of my stand for the presses mounted to the concrete floor adjustable for height (stand alone weighs about 90LBS
Picture040-1.jpg

Flash hole uniforming and deburring after case trimming .10 for .50DTC case length
Picture041.jpg

Primer pocket uniforming
Picture042.jpg

both cases trimmed case on left still has .50BMG shoulder height case on right has shoulder pushed .10 for fireforming
Picture043.jpg

same two showing slight difference that makes it Kalifornia legal
Picture044.jpg

cases ready for another trimming suckers get longer when you push the shoulder and size them
Picture045.jpg

cleaned, sized, trimmed, deburred, uniformed, primers seated ready for powder and projo's
Picture046.jpg

ready for shooting. center rounds had already been fireformed that is why they look a little fatter.
Picture.jpg

Re: .50DTC loads Pic Heavy!!!

Picture047.jpg

ready for some blasting can't get really that far down in the river bed was paced off at about 190 yards to the boulders on the far side.
DSC07517.jpg

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/TheMechanic2/?action=view&current=MOV07520.flv

For rounds that havn't been firformed yet they grouped pretty nice this was a 3 shot group was a bit on the hot side at around 102 degrees so running in the sand out to the target to reset the 1/2 steel plate was good exercise. Had to use the stand as the sand was pretty hot to go prone in short sleeves. Forgot the shooting mat at home. Looks to be just large of a 1 inch group so I will call this about .5 to .7 MOA with fireform loads should do a little better with the AMax.
DSC07528.jpg

DSC07527.jpg

Back side with lots of boulder dust.
DSC07529.jpg

Got in some shots with my new Nighthawk GRP Recon also I got from here on the hide. Nicest pistol I think I have ever shot to date even limp wristing on purpose It wouldn't mis-feed. The slide feels like it is on ball bearings. Overall a little sun burned but VERY happy

Edited by The Mechanic (2 seconds ago)

wished I had taken more pics shootin'.
Should be getting 3 more Hollywood dies next week. They are unbelievable.

Why would non fire forming cases be illegal in Californiastan? I just don't understand some of their laws. NICE groupings though!

Anything that shoots the .50BMG is considered an assault rifle in Kalifornia. The round is legal to own and shoot as there is no "control" over ammo (other than DD, tracers, etc.) So to answer your direct question non fireform cases are completely legal own. The whole idea of the slight change (.10 shorter, shoulder moved down .10 and after firing the case holds 295.2 gr. of water. The .50 BMG holds 289.4 gr. of water with a straighter case wall so as most cartridges go shorter fatter makes better.
here is a good example
bmg_dtc_conv.jpg

Now I have some fireformed cases I will load up some AMax and give that a shot. Hoping for .3 to .5 MOA out of it if I do my part but going to wait until I get my Hollywood micrometer in line seater.

Thank you Mechanic for the blue print. I am about to do some resizing myself. Now that I'm taking notes, would you be kind enough to tell me how much you had to take off the second time when you trimmed the cases...

This is an excellent thread, with impressive results. Great Shooting…

Thank you
Jose

Last edited:
Nope, it's a subtle variation originally intended to get around a French .50BMG ban. A .510DTC chambered rifle won't chamber a .50BMG cartridge, so to that original intent it works. When Arnie signed the 2005 .50BMG ban in CA, clever folks went back and looked at what Monsieur Denis did in France and decided to duplicate it. EDM Arms was one of the first to put out rifles supporting that cartridge, however their reamer spec was slightly different around the shoulder, hence there are two specs: .510DTC-Europe & .510DTC-EDM