• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Addiction (Swedemoor)

Bumping this thread. How are these things running now days?

Have a brand new Tikka T3 short action that I need something to do with.

Was thinking 28” barrel, suppressed, with 150 SMKs, feeding from Accurate Mags with no binder plate (2.975”).

What say you?
Good luck with the project, should be a great combo! I found that the 150’s shot best at slightly over mag length. Although they shot decent mag loaded. I’d plan to run a 7.5 twist as well. 1:8 did fine at higher elevation in MT but it did seem to loosen up at slower velocity...not sure if it was twist but faster couldn’t hurt:) Also I put together a Mack Bro’s Ti action with a 22” Lilja #4 for hunting. My last barrel didn’t like the ELD 147 at all but this one loves them!! Easy sub .5” groups at 2945. Have a few tags to fill so I should have some animal pics soon.

Good luck with the project, should be a great combo! I found that the 150’s shot best at slightly over mag length. Although they shot decent mag loaded. I’d plan to run a 7.5 twist as well. 1:8 did fine at higher elevation in MT but it did seem to loosen up at slower velocity...not sure if it was twist but faster couldn’t hurt:) Also I put together a Mack Bro’s Ti action with a 22” Lilja #4 for hunting. My last barrel didn’t like the ELD 147 at all but this one loves them!! Easy sub .5” groups at 2945. Have a few tags to fill so I should have some animal pics soon.

What’s the best place to buy dies at this point? Whidden custom and wait? Or are there any other options I should look at first?

Reactions: MTSLW
I'm on the bandwagon. I had planned to build a 6.5 PRC from a Tikka WSM action but changed my mind and decided to rechamber a 260 CTR to 6.5 addiction instead. I don't know what I'm going to do for dies yet either. Thanks for the idea MTSLW

Last edited:
Reactions: just browsing
I'm on the bandwagon. I had planned to build a 6.5 PRC from a Tikka WSM action but changed my mind and decided to rechamber a 260 CTR to 6.5 addiction instead. I don't know what I'm going to do for dies yet either. Thanks for the idea MTSLW!
Widden is the way to go. The guys at Accuracy Addiction may have some so you could check with them. The beautiful thing about Tikkas is that they have the larger bolt face so they work with the European brass (Lapua:)

Last edited:
This is the result of a 147 ELDm on a 250yd Whitetail buck. Leaving the muzzle at 2950. It hit him like a sledgehammer!
8E817C61-1E6E-4066-9F6B-290F6631ED1D.jpeg

32CAB6C9-0BC5-4587-9959-F7E773BBA82F.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a list of good smiths with Addiction reamers? I know PVA has one but am leery of his wait times. Anyone else I might look into?

Why this over a 6.5x284 norma? The 6.5x284 has more case capacity, uses same boltface, and coal is only slightly longer. And you can buy ammo off the shelf with norma or nosler brass. Only upside is cheap lapua Sweede brass?

Why this over a 6.5x284 norma? The 6.5x284 has more case capacity, uses same boltface, and coal is only slightly longer. And you can buy ammo off the shelf with norma or nosler brass. Only upside is cheap lapua Sweede brass?

Addiction runs in a SA.

Personally I'm looking for a short action build, ideally less than 3" coal, so 6.5-284 won't work. Swede brass is also quite a bit cheaper, and no trimming and longer barrel life with almost the same speed as 6.5-284 makes an improved 6.5x55 a pretty good option. That said I am having trouble finding dies for the 6.5 Addiction. May have to get some made by Whidden. Or else switch plans to 6.5x55 GWI or BJAI because the dies seem easier to find and cheaper. I've never seen any direct comparison of the three improved versions of the swede. Any opinions welcome...

You can get Lapua 6.5x284 brass also

It’s also considerably more than Lapua Swede brass.

Personally I'm looking for a short action build, ideally less than 3" coal, so 6.5-284 won't work. Swede brass is also quite a bit cheaper, and no trimming and longer barrel life with almost the same speed as 6.5-284 makes an improved 6.5x55 a pretty good option. That said I am having trouble finding dies for the 6.5 Addiction. May have to get some made by Whidden. Or else switch plans to 6.5x55 GWI or BJAI because the dies seem easier to find and cheaper. I've never seen any direct comparison of the three improved versions of the swede. Any opinions welcome...

Whidden sounds to be the best option as far as dies go. Not positive on how it compares to the other Swede Improved cartridges though. Do they all fit in SAs?

Does the Addiction run well in AW mags? Sorry if this has been answered in the last four pages.

Reason 2 might be my favourite reason of the GWI - the natural body taper of the swede case acts as the "hold back" during fireforming. You don't have to have a false shoulder or load long. As a matter of fact this weekend in ID NRL match, I will be shooting the whole match fire forming swede brass
I agree with the fireforming load, super easy! No false shoulders or jamming, just load to mag length and go shoot!

I'm still waiting to put my new rifle together. My gunsmith has me booked for mid-February and the only hardware missing is the stock. If my Manners PRS2 hasn't arrived by then (12 months after order), then I plan buy a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 chassis, which is currently available in Aust.

I have neck-turned my first 100 pieces of brass, but I'm not satisfied with the performance of my hydraulic forming die. Understanding that I can fireform cases by shooting a projectile without jamming (although i like the idea of a light jam), does anyone have experience fireforming using the 'cream of wheat' or 'mail-o-meal' method? I don't yet have any experience with forming improved cartridges, but i am thinking of fireforming my cases using the COW/MOM method. If i do, would I simply load and shoot them? Thanks.

I wouldn't mess around with that. Just load them and shoot them. Then you know its formed perfectly to your chamber. We can all use the practice anyway!

At least I know I can. ha.

GL!
DT

My new rifle is scheduled to be plumbed together late this month. It will have Bartlein heavy varmint barrels chambered in 300 Norma Mag improved and 6.5 Addiction. The bottom metal is a Badger M5 DBM trigger guard LA CIP LM including an Accuracy International 5-round 338 Lapua Magnum CIP magazine (part # 306-86).

For 6.5 Addiction, I feel I should choose a magazine with the longest feed lips, as they will need to be bent inwards to hold the cartridges. As I have no experience with these large mags, any thoughts as to whether a 300 Win Mag CIP or 338 Lap Mag CIP mag (or something else?) is better suited? Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to put my new rifle together. My gunsmith has me booked for mid-February and the only hardware missing is the stock. If my Manners PRS2 hasn't arrived by then (12 months after order), then I plan buy a KRG Whiskey 3 Gen 6 chassis, which is currently available in Aust.

I have neck-turned my first 100 pieces of brass, but I'm not satisfied with the performance of my hydraulic forming die. Understanding that I can fireform cases by shooting a projectile without jamming (although i like the idea of a light jam), does anyone have experience fireforming using the 'cream of wheat' or 'mail-o-meal' method? I don't yet have any experience with forming improved cartridges, but i am thinking of fireforming my cases using the COW/MOM method. If i do, would I simply load and shoot them? Thanks.

I hydroform for 243AI with a Redding full length die with the decapping assembly removed. The trick to getting a good form is to blow the case out a little long and then full length resize it back down to fit the chamber. This will sharpen the shoulder and get rid of the radius that happens there when you are hydroforming. Also, you have to hit the pin to create the hydraulic pressure HARD. I am a builder that spent a lot of years as a framing carpenter. I tried the engineer's hammer and didn't get good results. I started using my framing hammer and swinging like I was trying to sink a 16d nail in one swing and viola, formed brass.
If you can't get the hydroforming to work I would follow the advice above and just use a standard load to fireform. I like hydroforming because I only have to develop one load, but it is a pain compared to loading and shooting.

Reactions: MattSplat
Unfortunately the 6.5 Addiction is missing in the pic, but left to right below: factory 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x55 Imp. 30°, 6.5x55 G.W.I. 30°, 6.5x55 Ack. Imp. 40°, 6.5x55 BJAI

6-5x55s-jpg.1058036
I don´t se any Picture. Is it missing in the tread or are my computer working against me again :)

I had my TRG 22 re-chambered to 6.5 Addiction last year (24" barrel, but I also had a 26" made at the same time so I can replace without the wait). I didn't pick up any RL26 at that time. I had Retumbo and 4831 on hand and wanted to try those. When the re-barrel was done around Christmas I started working up loads. I used 4831 to fire form and found an accurate fireforming load at about 2780 with a 147 ELD. After fireforming, I managed to get enough Retumbo into the case to get to 2900, but at that point the case was so full it was causing seating depth issues. It did look like there would be a very good node around 2850. I tried 4831 and didn't even make 2900 on my first round of testing. I managed to find a single pound of H1000. That showed potential and could reach mid low to mid 2900 with the 147 in the 24" barrel. However, with the scarcity of H1000, I didn't pursue a load with that at the time. I went back to 4831. I ended up with a load giving an average of 2900, with single digit SD. One set tested at 4 and one test gave 7. The groups at 100yds gave the best averages I've shot in any gun for a while. Ran it in a local match this past weekend and had no issues that I could blame on the load or the gun. All the elevations out to 1100 tracked with the Hornady app set for 2900 letting it adjust for temp based on 4831. It is all I could ask for in consistency and accuracy.

Until I can get some RL 26, this is what I'm going to stick with. I think to see magic velocities in this cartridge, you need RL26. My current 6.5x47 load using RL 16 pushes the 147 to 2820 (also with a 24" barrel). I'm using 11 grains more powder for an additional 80fps. Its nice to shoot for the novelty, and to use up my 4831, but this is not where I wanted to be with this cartridge. I wanted something that was going to show a velocity jump which would result in a 10% improvement in wind drift, and I think that will only come with RL26. After tweaking QL based on my results to date, it still seems possible to come close to that objective, but will need the magic speed dust.

That seems to be about right. 147’s have a long bearing surface and showed pressure much sooner than a 140. RL powder and 2” inches of barrel should give you 150-200fps. That H powder does give great SD’s though!

Unless I've overlooked it, I can't see anyones specific load data for the Addiction with Reloader 26. I'm looking for a starting point as well as someones real world results after development. I have a load with 4831 but would like to see what it can do with 26.

I got some RL 26 almost 2 months ago, but finally got to run a load ladder. The node for RL 26 with my 24" barrel and 147s seems to be coming in right at 2977 (my node for H4831 came in at 2900). I had two loads with single digit sd's (2 rd strings) that were .2 grains apart both come in a 2977 for an average velocity. The bolt lift wasn't bad. I tested two more sets higher and the last bolt lifts were firm.

Reactions: 21Bravo
Finally tested my 147ELD/RL 26 loads at the 2977 fps node. It was 81 and pretty humid. I fired 3-3 shot groups for each fine tuned charge. All three averaged under an inch, but only one was close to 1/2" (.555") average. At least 1 bolt lift was firm on each 3 shot string.

The RL 26 loads don't seem to be as consistent or as tight as my current 4831 load that shoots 2900. At the beginning of my range time I shot a 3 round group with my 4831 load. Then at the end I shot 2 more into the same group. All 5 measured .567". The increased velocity from RL26 only gives me about 2 1/2" wind advantage in a 10mph full value at 1000 yards or 1/2mph. So it doesn't really seem worth it, because my skill level isn't to the estimating within 2mph level. I'm happy at within 5mph, and hope for a big target.

When I went back and looked at my data for H1000 and RL 26, both show possible nodes with the 147 in my 24" barrel at about 2900-2915 and about 2965-2980. I couldn't get close to the high node with H4831. The H1000 was giving obvious pressure signs at the 2970 node and from the RL 26...I'm not sure I'd want to run it at a rainy match. Retumbo couldn't even get me to the 2900 node, but did show a probable node at 2840.

I'm shooting a 24" Hawk Hill barrel chambered by PVA on a Sako TRG 22 with the KRG AI magazine conversion backbone and ARC mags with 419 extensions. It was re-chambered from 6.5x47 at 793 round mark and now has 1449 total.

Reactions: 21Bravo
I have read though this thread twice now and think i have figured out the direction i need to go.
I have a Tikka T3 in 270win that shoots great but it's only drawback for me is I believe the chamber is on the loose side of the specification since it shows a bulge on pretty much all brass fired just ahead of the case head.
I grew up hunting whitetail and hogs with my dad's Carl Gustof custom in 6.5x55 and have wanted one every since.
Since I will be running a long action and the Tikka mags the addiction doesn't really seem to be the best choice since I have no need to stay within 2.9" COAL.
The 6.5x55 30° improved or the AI version would be a perfect match for what I intend to use it for is there any real advantage for one over the other ?
I plan to keep it a sporter weight rifle strictly for hunting.

Either would work well, you might see which dies you can easily get first. Moon at Crescent Customs is your man if you are looking for a smith to chamber an improved Swede for a Tikka.
I decided to rechamber my CTR 260 to 260AI to keep it simple with a short action.

Reactions: XLR308
Either would work well, you might see which dies you can easily get first. Moon at Crescent Customs is your man if you are looking for a smith to chamber an improved Swede for a Tikka.
I decided to rechamber my CTR 260 to 260AI to keep it simple with a short action.

I was thinking of sending three pieces of fired brass to Hornady and having them custom make them in a match die set.
Just haven't heard much about the custom sets they make but have numerous other Hornady custom grade dies and no complaints with those.
Not sure what the wait time would be but I could hunt with fire forming loads until they're done.

I’m thinking that I could possibly just have my Tikka 6.5x55 barrel punched out to 6.5x55AI-30 degree and get enough performance gains to be worth the cost.

Switched to a 26" Hawk Hill on my 6.5 Addiction TRG. The velocity had dropped to 2840 from 2900 (147 ELDM) and the sd's were starting to open up to 12-15. When I ran that load in the 26" it jumped to 2880 and the sd was back down to 7 with 22 for an es. I think the powder (H4831) might have gone downhill a bit in my move this summer, and then being stored in the basement of my new house. A new jug of 4831 jumped the velocity up to 2920 avg, sd 6.4, es 21 for a 10 rd string, and two 5 shot groups averaged .54". I worked up a 143 ELD load at 3040 with RL26 for hunting this fall.

Reactions: MTSLW
I finally have my new rifle chambered in 6.5 Addiction up and running:
- Curtis Custom Vector short action
- TT Diamond trigger
- KRG W3 G6 chassis (my first chassis)
- Bartlein light bull barrel 1:7.5 twist @ 26", with a 5" breach
- NF ATACR F2 4-16
- Area 419 brake

i'm currently fire forming brass with 140 gr Berger target hybrids and 47 gr AR2213SC/H4831. My first attempt with different projectiles to magazine length didn't go so well (66% ignition failure), but now I am jamming I'm getting lovely small groups.

Rightly or wrongly, I throated the chamber to best suit a 140 gr Berger positioned in the optimum position, ignoring magazine length, with the intention of shooting 140 gr Woodleigh PP SN and 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids from the magazine (generally for hunting) and single feeding the 140s (and anything heavier) for longer hunting and target shots. I plan to stick with AR2213SC/H4831, because in here in Australia the supply is more consistent (but not great) than Reloader. I hope this approach will work, but time will tell.

I'm looking forward to load development and getting shooting!

Last edited:
I finally have my new rifle chambered in 6.5 Addiction up and running:
- Curtis Custom Vector short action
- TT Diamond trigger
- KRG W3 G6 chassis (my first chassis)
- Bartlein light bull barrel 1:7.5 twist @ 26", with a 5" breach
- NF ATACR F2 4-16
- Area 419 brake

i'm currently fire forming brass with 140 gr Berger target hybrids and 47 gr AR2213SC/H4831. My first attempt with different projectiles to magazine length didn't go so well (66% ignition failure), but now I am jamming I'm getting lovely small groups.

Rightly or wrongly, I throated the chamber to best suit a 140 gr Berger positioned in the optimum position, ignoring magazine length, with the intention of shooting 140 gr Woodleigh PP SN and 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids from the magazine (generally for hunting) and single feeding the 140s (and anything heavier for longer hunting and target shots. I plan to stick with AR2213SC/H4831, because in here in Australia the supply is more consistent (but not great) that Reloader. I hope this approach will work, but time will tell.

I'm looking forward to load development and getting shooting!

Attachments

• 6C6B08CE-D042-4A78-9DF5-55956D12AD3D.jpeg
    6C6B08CE-D042-4A78-9DF5-55956D12AD3D.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DE0D1E3D-640D-4341-8C97-E129B6C59BBE.jpeg
    DE0D1E3D-640D-4341-8C97-E129B6C59BBE.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 6E6BC3B5-7B63-41BF-9012-7BCD779AF759.jpeg
    6E6BC3B5-7B63-41BF-9012-7BCD779AF759.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 74
i don’t think you can go wrong with H4831. With the extra length/capacity you built in you might be able to get H1000 to work. i also tried some reloader 16 and that grouped well, so I bet 4350 would give some good groups, you just wouldn‘t get the velocity

Okay, I finally have 100 pieces of fire formed brass, so its time for load development. I have:
- powders H4831, plus H4350 and H1000;
- projectiles for ARC mag length 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids and 140 gr Woodleigh PP SN (which has a long bearing surface); and
- 140 gr Berger hybrids for single feeding (my barrel is throated for these).

My barrel is 26" with a 1:7.5 twist.

For hunting and general plinking loads (not hot strings), I plan to start with:
- 140 gr Bergers with H4831, below 51.2 gr and work up. I would be happy with something around 3,030 fps or so.
- 130 gr Bergers with H4831 at magazine length. Any suggestions for a starting load?
- 140 gr Woodleighs with H4831 or H1000 at magazine length. Again, any suggestions for a starting load?

Thanks.

I saw this thread big fan of 6.5x55. And i didnt read threw all the thread 4 pages lol but barrel life 2500ish with 140 doing over 3000?

For the 130s, I would look at some of the information for the GWI or contact Kelbys. One of their shooters was on a thread that mentioned using 130s in the GWI, I think he was shooting H4350.

I don't expect to get 2500, unless I would only shoot once or twice and never get it hot. I expect 1200-1500. I got 1000 6.5A from my first barrel, but it was a rechamber from a 6.5x47 and had 800 of those as well, so it was a total of 1800. Over half of the 6.5A life on the last barrel (1000) was shot in PRS match conditions.

I'm shooting at 147 at either 2940 with 4831, or 2842 with RL 16.

Okay, I finally have 100 pieces of fire formed brass, so its time for load development. I have:
- powders H4831, plus H4350 and H1000;
- projectiles for ARC mag length 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids and 140 gr Woodleigh PP SN (which has a long bearing surface); and
- 140 gr Berger hybrids for single feeding (my barrel is throated for these).

My barrel is 26" with a 1:7.5 twist.

For hunting and general plinking loads (not hot strings), I plan to start with:
- 140 gr Bergers with H4831, below 51.2 gr and work up. I would be happy with something around 3,030 fps or so.
- 130 gr Bergers with H4831 at magazine length. Any suggestions for a starting load?
- 140 gr Woodleighs with H4831 or H1000 at magazine length. Again, any suggestions for a starting load?

Thanks.
Good luck with ARC mags they are junk when they get dirty.

Reactions: D_TROS
Cases prep’ed and test loads ready. I will shoot Friday afternoon, can’t wait.

Attachments

• 0CB68639-4BA1-47B4-884C-5CE7983A3707.jpeg
    0CB68639-4BA1-47B4-884C-5CE7983A3707.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 92
  • B15467F4-6377-42AC-A028-061999FB212A.jpeg
    B15467F4-6377-42AC-A028-061999FB212A.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: nrspence
I'm looking at doing the 6.5 addiction. Where are people getting reloading dies from and does anyone out there do pre fits for a nucleus action.

Widden is the best bet I think that's what most people are using. I'm not sure about the prefits. Maybe check with PVA, Josh has been chambering Addictions for a while now.

I agree with whidden for dies. I just got the hydro form die, so I need to prep and form my next set of brass. I didn’t want to lose 300 rounds of barrel life fireforming. I’m on my 2d PVA chambered barrel both have shot very well. these both were hawk hill blanks I sent. However, it might take a bit longer than posted times, bc Addiction is not a standard. I checked with sawtooth as they advertised having a reamer, that’s another place to look. I went and ordered my own reamer, after I realized I was addicted to the cartridge.

if the front edge of the nucleus magwell overhangs the magazine at all, you will want to remove or deal with the overhang. Lri does a special cut for arc mags for Rem action, dont know if the nucleus needs it too. Even the small, .020 overhang I had in my TRG caused a problem. Once it was removed, life has been good.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I was thinking about just this very thing this morning. Well, this versus .260 AI. I was considering if the Seekins Havak action might have a niche here by virtue of accommodating an advertised COAL of 3.1 inches.

Initially, I thought the .260 might finally get the room it needed. Then it occured to me that 3.1 is a good .25"+ over the 2.8" that is common for SA...and 55mm is but .167" over 51mm...so, the slightly too big for a normal SA 6.5x55 SKAN might just be perfect for an action accommodating a 3.1" COAL. Both should work off a standard bolt face, which is appealing.

Now I find myself wondering about the longest COAL my SOTIC will accomodate.

Be careful with the bolt faces. Some do need to be opened up. But I had heard the European actions (Sako/Tikka specifically) are less prone to needing the bolt face opened for the slightly larger 6.5x55 case head, so I used my TRG-22 and there has been no issue with the bolt face. I did try to use a 308 shell plate/case holder for the Addiction and that was an absolute no go.

I'll have to check that on my nucleus bolt face before I continue forward. Would anyone happen to have a piece of brass they would be willing to send me so I can check it out to make sure itll work with my action.

If you mentioned your location, it might help folks who are local to you, in responding...

Reactions: 6cmShooter
BTW, it also depends on the brand of brass. Some US 6.5x55 brass will fit in a .308 bolt face. European brass will not. At least 10 years ago, when I was running a 6.5x55 for a Savage hunting rifle, that was the case....

BTW, it also depends on the brand of brass. Some US 6.5x55 brass will fit in a .308 bolt face. European brass will not. At least 10 years ago, when I was running a 6.5x55 for a Savage hunting rifle, that was the case....
That I did not know. Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to see if I can find a couple pieces online or something to try them out. Dont wanna buy a whole bag of brass to find out it's not going to work.