• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 CM powder dilemma

AHall

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2011
Western Slope, CO
I have been building and researching on my rifle for nearly 2 years now. Over the last few months I was able to build a loading bench and aquire many of the necessary components needed. Now that the 6.5 is nearly in the completion stage I'm getting kind of worried. I haven't been able to find any h4350 locally, different states, or over the internet. I have 200pcs of new hornady brass, 300 140gr Amax's, and 100 140gr SSTs. Should I look into trying a different powder? I noticed h4831 is in stock at Natchez. Mixed reviews on this powder. Only other powders people seem to use is ramshot hunter, v100, re17, and possibly re15. Which all are unavailable as well. Any suggestions on what to do or tricks or sources of finding powder?

A friend if mine has used Reloader 17 and it works well. I have no reason to try anything else but H4350 until I run out of my supply. Has anyone ever tried IMR 4350? I have seen the IMR on the shelf recently. The burn rate cannot be too much different but I do not know anyone who has tried it in the 6.5 CM. I use IMR 4350 in one of my .300 Win Mags as well as my fast twist .22-250 (along with 80gr AMAX) and they both run great.

Rx17 is available at Powder Valley.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't aware of powder valley. I just purchased 5lbs of reloader 17, 8lbs of h414, 1000 br2 primers, and 100rds of 120gr amax to try.

Hopefully that will get me started til h4350 is available. Or maybe my rifle will like this powder better.

I tried rl17 and 140 sierra match kings not too long ago. 41 grains and a coal of 2.775 shot great out of my rifle.

Until I was able to find 8#of H4350 recently, I was using IMR 4350 and it performed very well. Still have about 12# on hand and plan on using it in the future if I run short on H4350. Was using 41.0 gr. behind 140 gr. VLD's. The problem now is that 140 gr. VLD's are nowhere to be found. BTW Powder Valley is good outfit and my first choice for buying components.

I tried Accurate 4350 as a substitute for H4350 in my .260 and it works every bit as well.
41.9 gr AA4350 = 42.5 gr H4350 in my rifle.
I was able to buy plenty of Accurate 4350 in recent history.

Joe

I have only shot IMR4350 out of mine. It is what I could find when I got the rifle, so I have stayed with it. I get great results with it. I have a few lbs of h4350 on hand now, but I haven't tried it yet.