• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 creedmoor loads for JP rifles 22'' barrel

LVMED

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2013
I am doing an AR10 build and I decided to go with 6.5 creedmoor using a JP barrel and high pressure enhanced bolt. I was hoping someone here who has a LRP-07 or any other rifle with their barrel had some load data. I will be using 123 smks, 139 lapua scenars and 140 amax. I searched the forums and the reloading thread and I came up with nothing.

Around 43-45gr of H4350 for the 123's and about 42gr H4350 for 139-140's. H4831sc is also worthy of a work up for the heavy's starting at about 45gr going up to 50gr. There is some news about Superperformance and H100V showing great accuracy and higher velocities with the 260 Rem. RL 15 and RL 17 seem to be on the ticket as well but I just haven't messed with those yet. I can assume you will be running an adjustable gas block and found that to be a must for optimal performance. Please, please start low, I would hate for you to have something bad happen following those numbers.

Yeah, I got the adjustable gas block. I also have load data for my bolt guns that are right around what you posted. I was just hoping someone had a specific load so I could get it up and running for the Sept 6 match. You going to be there?

I have had predictably good results with H4350 with 123/139 Scenars in a 22" Criterion barrel, at max levels half grain below those listed above-100d heat at 1200', Tubb CWS, full weight carrier, adjustable gas block. As noted, work up to any load fm 1-2 gr below max-there will be nodes in your barrel that work well without consuming your brass too quickly. I use ASC metal mags that allow me to load to 2.82 without issue-PMags keep that to 2.80, in my experience. My barrel has seen near 1000 rounds, and long throated to start-extra mag length helpful.

You might want to also try some 123gr A-Max's. John Paul uses them in his 6.5 Creedmoor and gets 1/2moa accuracy.

On another note, are you getting a silent captured recoil spring system? They are very nice, particularly in large platform rifles. I installed one in my LRP-07 in 260 Remington and it really helped smooth out the recoil impulse.

Good luck with your new stick!

My 22" 6.5CM LRP-07 showed a strong preference for 123 Scenars and 130 VLDs. It had occasional extraction & ejection issues with 139/140/142 loads but runs perfect with 123 Scenars and 130 VLDs.

Current load is 210M primers, 43.2gr H4350, 123 Scenars, at 2920fps. Extremely accurate, no signs of stress on the primers or brass, and flatter to 1K than the best/safest 139/140/142gr load I worked up for the rifle.

Another excellent load was 210M primers, 130 VLD, 42.5gr H4350 at 2800fps. The primers showed a slight bit of pressure signs but nothing too bad. Also extremely accurate, slightly moreso than the 123 Scenar. At the time I couldn't find any 130 VLDs in stock anywhere but I did manage to snag 2K 123 Scenars so I'm still shooting those.

If you call JP they will strongly recommend the 123s and 130s over the 139/140/142 bullets in their 6.5CM and .260 rifles. My testing mirrors their recommendations, the 139/140/142s all had occasional ejection & extraction issues and even with pretty mild loads they were much harder on the primers, brass, and primer pockets than the 123s and 130s.

Oh, and make absolutely sure you have the new "high pressure" bolt with the smaller .068" firing pin. The standard bolts with the .080" firing pin don't play nice with primers in 6.5CM & .260, expect mild cratering to outright piercing depending on your load and the tolerance stack up in the bolt & firing pin. If you purchased the barrel & bolt within the last few months it should have included the High Pressure bolt.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got the adjustable gas block. I also have load data for my bolt guns that are right around what you posted. I was just hoping someone had a specific load so I could get it up and running for the Sept 6 match. You going to be there?
I plan on being there. Today, 45.5gr of H4831sc was my most accurate with the 140 SMK. The best it would do is right at .910 inch. Tomorrow I am headed to Nellis to work up the 142 SMK. The more I read, the better the 123's look. According to Applied Ballistics, the 123 gets to 1000 with 20 inches on the 142. The wind can get pretty stout here in Las Vegas and really change directions around those canyons, plus the mostly 1K max range Sin City Precision sticks to, makes me want to pull my hair out trying to decide which bullet to use.

JP recommends the smaller bullets because the larger bullets extend so far down into the case that they take up too much room for the powder. Of course this is caused by us having to load to mag length. If you have seen my other posts, I have put over three hundred rounds through my CM doing load dev, only to find out that my scope had shit the bed. Oh well! The last combo I was trying when I figured it out was 42gr of Rel 17 with a 123 Nos CC. It was shooting pretty solid in the .6-.8 inch range. Something interesting to check out... On the Nosler load data website, Rel 17, and H4350, have almost matching numbers. Same charges, same velocity, etc. they look almost identical on paper. Something to think about when H4350 is so hard to find.

Just got back from load development with the 142 SMK and H4831sc. 46 gr showed .380 at 100. 2784 was the average velocity, ES 9, SD 4. I think my chrono is half junk so those numbers may be a little tight, or even way off.

Regardless of the chrono numbers, .380 is way cool.

That is pretty neat. Surprising for a lower end, nearly stock gun. It is a DPMS LR-260. The only mods are an adjustable gas block and an SR Gold trigger. To be honest, the .380 was only a 3 shot group but that is all I needed to determine the correct load. Others were right at 1 inch in either direction. 45.5gr was about .77 and 46.5 was about .88. It's interesting that a half grain makes such a difference.