• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

Making some ladders with a 26" Proof Carbon 1:7.5T. I'm somewhat surprised by the low speeds. The barrel is brand new (these are my first 75 shots). Speeds are measured with magnetospeed v3. Unfortunately some speeds have not been picked up (so that's why some have no SD data)

VV N555, Lapua SP, CCI400, 5 shot per load. No signs of pressure. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 12.05.19.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.59.48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zack_va248
Making some ladders with a 26" Proof Carbon 1:7.5T. I'm somewhat surprised by the low speeds. The barrels is brand new (these are my first 75 shots). Speeds measured with magnetosspeed. Unfortunately some speeds where not picked up (so that's why some have no SD)

VV N555, Lapua SP, CCI400, 5 shot per load. No signs of pressure. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

View attachment 7511885

View attachment 7511895

Keep proceeding up. That’s exactly what I did I kept going up to 44.9 grain with only moderately flat primers and some cratering but no heavy bolt lift. That might not even be the true max but with the heavy cratering I’m calling it there.

And I’m just regurgitating info here but everyone says your barrel will speed up a little bit around the 200 mark. I personally also noticed a good bump in velocity, 50+ feet per second, by just moving to magnum primers. CCI 450s and even a bit more with the Tula.

Last edited:
Making some ladders with a 26" Proof Carbon 1:7.5T. I'm somewhat surprised by the low speeds. The barrel is brand new (these are my first 75 shots). Speeds are measured with magnetospeed v3. Unfortunately some speeds have not been picked up (so that's why some have no SD data)

View attachment 7511885

View attachment 7511895
Keep shooting it and keep adding charge until you see pressure signs. Every rifles different. It’ll definitely pick up some more speed over the next 75-100rds. All of this though is subjective to what your intentions are with the rifle. Your only 80-100fps from the optimum speed. Which honestly isn’t much in terms of performance. Especially 600y and in. Your elevation will be within a tenth or two of that higher velocity. Windage wise it won’t be much either. Your brass will last longer not being on the cutting edge of pressure. Accuracy over speed in my opinion will net more impacts over time. Either way you go I’d expect it to pick up some speed on its own with rd count.

Reactions: NamibHunter
I forgot to mention that I'm also getting visible muzzle flash that can be seen in my Terminator T4 brake. Something I never had (or noticed in this this degree) with my 24" .308 loading vvN140

My speeds dropped 40fps from virgin brass to 1x fired FL sized brass lol but my ES/SD went down. 140gr hybrids, 42.8 gr h4350, lapua srp, in a 24” Bartlein AI barrel. I’m happy with this setup I think
08BCC2D9-D4AB-4A70-A0A0-B3D45B559A7C.jpeg

Questions: Any one ever try Hodgdon superformance powder? I have some and there's reloading data for it. I normally just use H4350. What bullet weights and charge amounts? Also, I see Varget data for 6.5CM, anyone use Varget? Thanks in advance.

Questions: Any one ever try Hodgdon superformance powder? I have some and there's reloading data for it. I normally just use H4350. What bullet weights and charge amounts? Also, I see Varget data for 6.5CM, anyone use Varget? Thanks in advance.
I think we're going to see more and more powder questions coming up as we continue in this shortage, someone uses up all their H4350 but can't find anymore will be looking at alternatives.

If you can't find load data for a particular powder, but you can for another that is close on the burn rate chart it would be wise to start at the low end and work your way up. I've built my own burn rate chart that uses a lot of the powders available in the USA out of the below resources

6.5 Creed load

26” MPA barrel, 1:8
Berger 130 VLD Target
35.1 gr H4895
CCI BR-2
Hornady brass
COAL 2.78
2670 FPS
View attachment 7519551View attachment 7519552

Two very nice groups sir!

Of course your muzzle velocity is quite slow for a 130 gn projectile from a 26” barrel, but if this is your widest node, be happy that your barrel life will be far higher than those that push their 130s to 2850 fps. 😊 [Like me!]

You will not lose that much in wind drift below 500 yards. Good practice load. For a 1,000 yard load, you will probably want to go with a heavier longer bullet with a higher BC.

Last edited:

Have used Superformance to develop a deer hunting load using the 127 gn Barnes LRX bullet in both 6.5 CM. Also made a very nice 180 gn hunting round for my 30-06 that i used to take an aoudad in the Texas Hill Country at 150 yards. Hit the top of the heart and penetrated both lungs, with a good exit wound. Muzzle velocity of about 2730 fps. The aoudad ran 15 yards and toppled over. Tough critters.

The extra 100-150 fps in speed helps to open up these copper bullets, giving devastating terminal performance below 350-400 yards. Typical hunting distances in Texas are 50-250 yards, but it is reassuring to know you can take a 350 yard shot when needed.

The Barnes web site list load data for Superformance. Of course start low and work your way up. Pressure shows up quite suddenly with these copper bullets.

F59208E6-9D1F-411D-BB04-14395586367B.jpeg

F3D1F72B-9956-4CAD-8973-EBBCE364238F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shooter McGavin

Btw: Have used Superformance once before to develop target ammo for an accurate Savage 12 with a very long 30” Shilen (replacement) barrel with a fast 7.0 twist. H4350 gave disappointing results: White smoke, no red flash at all, and speed topped out at 2790 or so, so clearly the powder was fully burned out by the time the bullet left the muzzle. Switched to Superformance and it managed to push a 150 SMK (which requires a 7.5 twist) to well over 2,900 fps. Clearly it could exploit the long barrel and extra bullet dwell time. The load did not group that well so i stopped using Superformance in that barrel.

I only use it for hunting ammo now, where the extra 100-150 fps speed helps to extend the range where the bullet will mushroom properly. I also got the impression it was rather temperature sensitive, but others might know better.

Yes, I use it in my 147g ELD-M stuff now. I'm getting around 1550FPS at 1000 yards, which is about 125 fps faster than the factory ammo with an average MOA of low .4's to low mid .5's!

Yes, I use it in my 147g ELD-M stuff now. I'm getting around 1550FPS at 1000 yards, which is about 125 fps faster than the factory ammo with an average MOA of low .4's to low mid .5's!

That is a superb result.

Any issues with temperature sensitivity on hot summer days: Could you use the same load in winter and summer?

That is a superb result.

Any issues with temperature sensitivity on hot summer days: Could you use the same load in winter and summer?
I shot this load all summer up to about 90 degree temps. I shot in a competition on Labor Day weekend and the temps dropped to the high 40's. The range master told me the density altitude was 3100', but the actual altitude is only around 1700'. The humidity was 70% that day. I wished I had comparative data for the hotter weather, but I had to add about a minute and a half more to have the same results. So I dont think it may be very stable. I haven't had an opportunity to shoot again since then to see if it stays consistent. Oh yeah. 44.8g with a COAL of 2.810". Still fits the magazine, and it's a RPR that is all factory.

I've been reloading 6.5 CM since early last year with my Bergara B-14 HMR (hunting and range shooting at only 100yds so far). I've only used LRP (CCI 200), starting with Hornady and S&B brass. I got some Starline brass a few months ago and have gone through a couple reloads. Getting decent results so far, but I'd like to get some higher quality brass to see how well my results improve. My favorite bullet has been the Berger 135gr Classic Hunter.

I'm thinking Lapua would be a good choice, and it seems that SRP is pretty popular here for brass longevity among other reasons. I also see that many use magnum SRP as well. What is the advantage of magnum over regular SRP for this cartridge? Does it just provide more reliable ignition and consistent velocities?

I recently got the Redding Type S Match die set, and have a .288 Wilson bushing. I might pick up the Redding nitride .288 soon, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

I've been reloading 6.5 CM since early last year with my Bergara B-14 HMR (hunting and range shooting at only 100yds so far). I've only used LRP (CCI 200), starting with Hornady and S&B brass. I got some Starline brass a few months ago and have gone through a couple reloads. Getting decent results so far, but I'd like to get some higher quality brass to see how well my results improve. My favorite bullet has been the Berger 135gr Classic Hunter.

I'm thinking Lapua would be a good choice, and it seems that SRP is pretty popular here for brass longevity among other reasons. I also see that many use magnum SRP as well. What is the advantage of magnum over regular SRP for this cartridge? Does it just provide more reliable ignition and consistent velocities?

I recently got the Redding Type S Match die set, and have a .288 Wilson bushing. I might pick up the Redding nitride .288 soon, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

You're not likely to see much difference in ES/SD, nor accuracy by going to Lapua or SRP. What you will see is an increased tolerance for >65ksi (i.e. Over SAAMI pressure) loads. If you treat your brass right, you may see increased brass life. YMMV, IME, etc....

Reactions: DMP
Anybody here messed around with the 136 Lapua Scenar L bullets? I ordered up a 100 of them to try.

You're not likely to see much difference in ES/SD, nor accuracy by going to Lapua or SRP. What you will see is an increased tolerance for >65ksi (i.e. Over SAAMI pressure) loads. If you treat your brass right, you may see increased brass life. YMMV, IME, etc....

i started with Hornady brass (same batch, but not weight sorted), and saw brass life of 3-5 reloads before primers would fall out. Brass was too soft. Groups were OK but not great (0.7”). SD was around 11-14 fps. [Not meaning to beat up on Hornady: Have been told by friends who use Hornady that the latest brass is better quality. Have not tried them again, but perhaps it is time.]

Then switched to Nosler Custom Competition brass (mostly fully prepped and factory weight sorted to 1.0 gn) and saw a useful increase in hit probability at 600 yards, and i would say they were worth the $1/case price, as brass life went up to 8-10 reloads. Groups size at 100 improved (0.35”) and SD came down from 11-14 fps range to 8-10 fps. Then switched to Lapua SRP brass, mostly to improve brass life. Recently got one batch up at 30 reloads. Also the intent was to reduce reloading costs: Brass cost is now below 5 cents per reload.

Accuracy of the weight sorted (1.5 gn range) Lapua loads are probably about the same as the Nosler loads, but life span is 3x better. [Btw: You can now get cheaper SRP brass like Starline. Have a batch on hand, but have not done much with them yet.]

Last edited:
“I recently got the Redding Type S Match die set, and have a .288 Wilson bushing. I might pick up the Redding nitride .288 soon, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.”

From my experience I started with the Redding nitride busing and switched to the Wilson as my runout was lower on the Wilson. I think there are a few post here and on other forums where others shared the same. Not that my runout was a problem on target but sometimes I measure something and then obsess over fixing it...even when it’s not broke...

Is 2875 FPS too fast for 140 ELD’s?

24” MPA Barrel
42.6gr H4350
140gr ELD
Lapua brass
CCI 450
2875 FPS

Is anyone else getting these speeds? I’m getting a slight ejector mark but nothing else. Worried that maybe they’re going to fast and should back down some.

-Grain+ over max book charge... Check
-Thicker brass than what load data is published with... Check
-Excessive pressure signs (ejector swipe)... Check

2875fps with 140's and H4350 is hot. Velocity isn't free. You get it with longer barrels (you don't have) and higher pressure (you do have) all else being equal.

24” MPA Barrel
42.6gr H4350
140gr ELD
Lapua brass
CCI 450
2875 FPS

Is anyone else getting these speeds? I’m getting a slight ejector mark but nothing else. Worried that maybe they’re going to fast and should back down some.
Maybe my barrel is slow but I’m running 42.8gr h4350 with 140 hybrids and getting 2760ish with fed 205m’s out of a 24” bartlein. But I’m not getting any pressure signs or anything.

With the primer shortages going on....
I have a few Winchester WLR primers on hand....
Would like to find a flat of CCI 200 or Federal 210.
that being said, can CCI 350 (magnum pistol) be a viable substitute for the #200 standard large rifle primers?

With the primer shortages going on....
I have a few Winchester WLR primers on hand....
Would like to find a flat of CCI 200 or Federal 210.
that being said, can CCI 350 (magnum pistol) be a viable substitute for the #200 standard large rifle primers?
Interesting thread on the topic.

24” MPA Barrel
42.6gr H4350
140gr ELD
Lapua brass
CCI 450
2875 FPS

I think that’s pretty fast...I definitely saw pressure signs and heavy bolt lift over ~2820 but I’ve read where plenty of people in this forum run above that with no pressure signs.

Here’s the node I settled in at:

26” DesertTech
42.2gr H4350
140ELDM
Lapua brass
Remington 7 1/2

Attachments

• 0E48A202-5006-4C77-B1F4-0C750FB00DB5.png
    0E48A202-5006-4C77-B1F4-0C750FB00DB5.png
    397.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I think that’s pretty fast...I definitely saw pressure signs and heavy bolt lift over ~2820 but I’ve read where plenty of people in this forum run above that with no pressure signs.

Here’s the node I settled in at:

26” DesertTech
42.2gr H4350
140ELDM
Lapua brass
Remington 7 1/2
My barrel seems to be really fast. Testing with a Magnetospeed V3. I’m going to test at 41.0gr tomorrow and see how that goes. Seems like it could be on the edge of a velocity node but in the middle of an accuracy node, so unsure about it but going to test it anyways.

Attachments

• D1A16A1B-8EC4-4119-BD82-487CB9D5AA10.jpeg
    D1A16A1B-8EC4-4119-BD82-487CB9D5AA10.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 115
  • E785F7C8-0CD2-4326-B587-7D544BF45FEE.png
    E785F7C8-0CD2-4326-B587-7D544BF45FEE.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 811187EE-6A48-47F7-BEFF-475232E51AA4.png
    811187EE-6A48-47F7-BEFF-475232E51AA4.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 117
Reactions: Glassaholic
Wow...there’s a lot of pages to look through. Here in Canada, there is a serious shortage of powder happening. H4350 or even IMR4350 is unobtanium up here.

I have quite a bit of IMR4064 and I would like to see if anyone has a load for it with 140gr class bullets. The rifle has a 24” 1:8” Bartlien barrel. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of data with this combination.

I would guess that the velocities I am looking for would be around 2700fps to 2750fps. Although that might be a stretch for only a 24” barrel.

The brass is Lapua (LRP) and the primers are BR2’s. My bullet is the Berger 140gr Hybrid Target. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow...there’s a lot of pages to look through. Here in Canada, there is a serious shortage of powder happening. H4350 or even IMR4350 is unobtanium up here.

I have quite a bit of IMR4064 and I would like to see if anyone has a load for it with 140gr class bullets. The rifle has a 24” 1:8” Bartlien barrel. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of data with this combination.

I would guess that the velocities I am looking for would be around 2700fps to 2750fps. Although that might be a stretch for only a 24” barrel.

The brass is Lapua (LRP) and the primers are BR2’s. My bullet is the Berger 140gr Hybrid Target. Any help would be appreciated.

Sierra load data for their 140 SMK using IMR 4064 is 32.7 to 37.3 gr; 142 SMK is 32.4 to 36.9; both 2300 to 2600fps
Hodgdon website using 140 amax is 32.0 to 35.7 - 2400 to 2600fps; 142 SMK is 34.6 to 36.8 - 2500 to 2600fps

Interesting thread on the topic.
Thank you for the response.
the other issue I have found in my 6.5 Creedmoor brass is federal appears to be using small rifle primers. Winchester and Hornady use large rifle primers.

Attachments

• 3571FE31-C6F4-4B05-9238-2C4DE529CBE3.jpeg
    3571FE31-C6F4-4B05-9238-2C4DE529CBE3.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 73
Thank you for the response.
the other issue I have found in my 6.5 Creedmoor brass is federal appears to be using small rifle primers. Winchester and Hornady use large rifle primers.
In better times, you could choose one and only work up loads for that size. At this point, it's probably good to have options for whatever size primers you can find.

Reactions: steelman303
18" Krieger Barrel 1:75

140 A Max (discontinued)
Lapua Brass (New)
Fed Small Rifle Primers
H4350 41.5 gns
OAL 2.810
MV 2501

SMK 150
Lapua Brass (New)
Fed Small Rifle Primers
H4350 40.1 gns
OAL 2.840
MV 2363

I was able to take the 140 A Max out to 800 yards with full left to right wide (about 20 mph). The SMK 150 I was disappointed with the muzzle velocity and tried to do another ladder test. I started at 41 and went 41.9 gns H4350. There was cratering and a small amount of flatting. All the groups were very disappointing to say the least. I may just have to be happy with what I have as the barrel is the limiting factor. I wanted a short barrel, however, when I re-barrel this I will go with at least a 22" barrel, if not a 24" barrel.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Shooter
How many rounds down your Krieger? Curious if barrel’s velocity has maxed out, or if newer, still picking up speed. Reason for asking is I have a 20” 1:7 twist +2 gas AR barrel being spun up by Keystone and also shoot 140 AMax in both 21/22” Bartlein/Lilja barrels at 2670-2725ish with 41.5 H4350. Hoping to get to 2650 with AMax or Scenars without pushing brass too hard. Just seems 2500fps is a bit slow for 18” barrel. Thx for any feedback.

Shooter
How many rounds down your Krieger? Curious if barrel’s velocity has maxed out, or if newer, still picking up speed. Reason for asking is I have a 20” 1:7 twist +2 gas AR barrel being spun up by Keystone and also shoot 140 AMax in both 21/22” Bartlein/Lilja barrels at 2670-2725ish with 41.5 H4350. Hoping to get to 2650 with AMax or Scenars without pushing brass too hard. Just seems 2500fps is a bit slow for 18” barrel. Thx for any feedback.
At this point I have 250 rounds down it. I am just trying to get some loads to shoot since I have 1000 SMK 150. I’m looking at trying Varget for the SMK 150s. Loaded up a ladder test today. I also have an eight pound jug of superformance I’ll try with the SMK 150 if varget doesn’t work. I am happy with the A Max 140, but I only have 200 of those left. I did just find 500 147s bulk pack behind some boxes so I need to do a ladder test with those too.

Reactions: bobke
Interested in your results. Have large stash of 140 AMax, 136/139 Scenars to work with before retreating to lighter weight fodder. Really curious to see how 7 twist responds to well established loads. Appreciate your reply.

18" Krieger Barrel 1:75

140 A Max (discontinued)
Lapua Brass (New)
Fed Small Rifle Primers
H4350 41.5 gns
OAL 2.810
MV 2501

SMK 150
Lapua Brass (New)
Fed Small Rifle Primers
H4350 40.1 gns
OAL 2.840
MV 2363

I was able to take the 140 A Max out to 800 yards with full left to right wide (about 20 mph). The SMK 150 I was disappointed with the muzzle velocity and tried to do another ladder test. I started at 41 and went 41.9 gns H4350. There was cratering and a small amount of flatting. All the groups were very disappointing to say the least. I may just have to be happy with what I have as the barrel is the limiting factor. I wanted a short barrel, however, when I re-barrel this I will go with at least a 22" barrel, if not a 24" barrel.

The 150’s and heavier don’t do so well in short barrels (need a bigger case with more powder, like 6.5 PRC). I had a 30” Shilen 6.5 Creedmoor barrel (1” diameter) spun up with a 7 twist for these super heavy bullets, for a Savage 12. Could get 2850 to 2940 fps if RL-17 or Superformance was used. [Not my favorite powders (temp sensitive).] These powders appeared to do better at exploiting the longer barrel. The 30” barrel had the wind drift of a 6.5x284, but groups at 100 were typically no better than 0.6”. Super long barrels are more ‘whippy’ than short stubby barrels.

Last edited:
Namib
Is your comment regarding heavy bullets not working well in short barrels based on a velocity requirement or that most 6.5 barrels run an 8 twist, rather than something faster like a 7 or 7.5 twist, whether short or not? Is comment tied to a stability calculation generated by velocity or twist rate, or both?

Getting ready to take the dive into reloading, have a basic / dumb question. When you guys are out testing loads, do you shoot 3-5 shots and let everything cool down for a few minutes before going onto the next group? If so, how many shots / min break do you take? What is adequate cool down? (im shooting 6.5cm out of a 24" barrel with a suppressor)

Getting ready to take the dive into reloading, have a basic / dumb question. When you guys are out testing loads, do you shoot 3-5 shots and let everything cool down for a few minutes before going onto the next group? If so, how many shots / min break do you take? What is adequate cool down? (im shooting 6.5cm out of a 24" barrel with a suppressor)
I like to cool down or shoot in string (6 bullseye LD target, shoot one shot on each bullseye after each other) to help eliminate barrel temp issues. Also, the Magnetospeed Rifle Kuhl is a clever little tool to help cool the barrel. Unless I'm sighting in, I always like to shoot 5 shot groups, some even advocate 10 shot groups

Re: **6.5 Creedmoor Loads**

Today I did some checking and pulled apart 2 factory 6.5 Creedmoor 140gr cartridges and even though the box says there is 41.5 gr of H-4350, we measured 42.4 and 42.6 gr of powder. I'm pretty sure this matches what others have found when they pulled bullets as well.
Good to know and I am glad you checked!!

Right wrong or indifferent I’m running two 5 round strings then pulling my can cover back and letting things cool for a little bit. 24” barrel, TBAC ultra 9

Not sure if this is the correct way, but I generally shoot 5 shot groups and try to let the barrel cool for a couple minutes between groups. My range has mandatory cease fires that last about 5 minutes and occur every 20-30 minutes, so that forces the barrel to take an additional break. I confirm zero (my magnetospeed changes POI) with 3-5 rounds before I start running through the different charges.

Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 creedmoor
Lapua SRP 2x fired brass
Fed205mAR
Berger 130gr AR hybrids
VV N555
CBTO 2.262 COAl 2.880ish
43.4 avg 2596 ES 13 s-d 5.2 first shot had lower pressure case fouling group 1 moa
43.6 avg 2624 ES 8 s-d 3.4 see group below
43.8 avg 2643 ES 8 s-d 4 see group below
44.0 avg 2658 ES 10 s-d 5.4 see group below
44.2 was a 3 shot group slightly over sub moa and something happened with my magneto. Also there may have been the slightest ejector swipe but primer looked fine no heavy bolt lift. Otherwise NO pressure signs. I pulled a shot at 43.6 and 43.8 so I would like to try those pods again and maybe a lid at 43.7

Attachments

• 00578D43-B561-40EE-9A99-336D9342A29D.png
    00578D43-B561-40EE-9A99-336D9342A29D.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 88
  • AD07EE25-1669-462B-B08A-EDCF20AD469C.png
    AD07EE25-1669-462B-B08A-EDCF20AD469C.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 0A8378AF-73B1-498D-A18D-784774BCA21D.png
    0A8378AF-73B1-498D-A18D-784774BCA21D.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
Got my hunting rig out last weekend Browning x bolt with some new Lapua brass 123 eldms shot best with 42.5 h4350 didn’t chrono 5 shots 100y I think .4s can’t remember exactly
48C5D63F-107C-40C7-855D-4F4D8EFE54CA.jpeg

Namib
Is your comment regarding heavy bullets not working well in short barrels based on a velocity requirement or that most 6.5 barrels run an 8 twist, rather than something faster like a 7 or 7.5 twist, whether short or not? Is comment tied to a stability calculation generated by velocity or twist rate, or both?

I should have been more specific: Heavy bullets often have high BC and for target shooting purposes, choosing a very heavy high BC bullet will always help wind drift (if your barrel has a fast enough twist rate to stabilize it), whatever your barrel length, even at shorter distances. Wind is always the biggest factor, just check out one of Cal Zant’s WEZ analysis. This benefit comes at the (very minor) cost of more bullet drop, so you have to dial a little more, but no big deal as long as your scope has enough elevation travel. Even a 200 fps lower speed will have very little effect on the stability factor and it is mostly a question of required barrel twist rate. At a worst case 200 fps slower muzzle velocity, group size will go up only about 10% due to wind drift differences caused by the slightly longer hang time of the bullet. BC benefits quickly overwhelm the disadvantages of lower muzzle velocity. The increased wind drift of the bullet caused by a short barrel is really not that much, and unless you are in the top 5 of your sport, it is not going to matter.

Of course if you want enough speed out of a short handy rifle with an 18” barrel, just go up to a short magnum caliber (eg from 6.5 Creedmoor to 6.5 PRC). And live with the muzzle flash, blast wave and extra noise, and the increase in recoil (which is quite benign for all 6.5 calibers).

BTW: If you are in the PRS or NRL games, you will probably pick a 6 mm caliber as the low recoil disturbs your sight picture less allowing you to better spot your impacts and your misses, and allowing for faster more accurate follow up shots.

For hunting bullets that need enough speed to expand properly to ensure significant hydraulic shock, the loss of speed from using a very short barrel can be problematic. My hunting rifles are 22-24”, while my targets guns are 26 and 30”.

For 6.5 Creedmoor, stability considerations only play a role if you select the Sierra 150 gn SMK, which requires a 7.5 twist. IMHO Sierra made a tactical mistake with their design, and Hornady and Berger designed their bullets correctly so they can stabilize in a standard 8 twist barrel. (Almost all existing 6.5 Creedmoor rifles are 8 twist).

But ever the optimist: I predict/hope that is going to change in the future and gun makers will move to 7.5 twist. And we might see high BC 6.5 mm target bullets around 160 to 170 grain. And yes they will have muzzle velocity similar to a 308. 😊 That drop in speed does not matter as much as most people assume.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobke
I just read 13 pages of loads and found very few shooters using something other than H4350.

Can those of you who are not loading with h4350, rl16, or rl26 post your loads? I am trying to see which alternate powders people are using with success.
Thanks...

Reactions: tyfoon
I just read 13 pages of loads and found very few shooters using something other than H4350.

Can those of you who are not loading with h4350, rl16, or rl26 post your loads? I am trying to see which alternate powders people are using with success.
Thanks...
Shooters World Long Rifle 41.5gn, 140gn eldm/bthp Peterson SRP brass. SD/ES 15ish/30ish over a few hundred.

Reactions: stello1001

Thanks...

Have used H4350, RL-17, RL-16, Superformance, IMR4350, and Varget. Even surplus WC852.

They all have pros and cons:

1) IMR4350 performed almost identical to H4350 but needed 0.3-0.4 gn more for the batch i was using. Shot the 120s and 140s very well (did not try the 130s). Same group size. Slightly temp sensitive, but not terrible.

2) Superformance shot 120s, 130s, 140s and 150 well at very good speed (around 120 fps faster) but the loads are compressed (i used an ultrasonic toothbrush to settle the powder before seating, still crunchy). Temp sensitive.

3) RL-17 was fast and accurate but very temp sensitive. Need a winter and summer load. About 150 fps more speed. Good groups. Some concern that it eats barrels faster than other powders. Difficult to stay on the flat part of the speed vs powder charge graph.

4) RL-16 was remarkably accurate in my MPA rifle, gave adequate to good speed and shot tiny groups of around 0.10” at 100 with 135 gn weight sorted Atips. Amazing accuracy. Cannot find any!

5) Varget was accurate but speed was about 100 fps lower than H4350.

6) Surplus WC852 surprised me: It gave 1” groups at 400 while fire forming brass. Remarkably accurate with cheap Hornady 140 gn BTHP bullets. It was very cheap, but it is hard to find this powder now. No published load data. I loaded low and never looked for a max load, around 2500 fps with 140s. The seller wrote on the label “As IMR4831” so i loaded 1.0 grain above the starting data for this powder and it worked just fine. Will likely never get beyond 2600 fps as this powder was meant for military 30-06 machine guns, and these batches were apparently rejected for being too slow.

Last edited: