• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 grendel velocities

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I started whitetail hunting about 5 years ago and have always used my ar chambered in 6.5 grendel. I now have a different firearm for whitetail.

I remember researching the round before I built the AR, but I didn't remember how slow it was. I started reloading last year. I don't have a Chrono, but reloading manuals are putting 120-130 grainers at like 2200-2500 fps.

Any one use smaller bullets like 90gr and get velocity's closer to 3000fps? I have a 22" criterion. Would it even be possible, without really pushing the envelope.

My 18” JP gets 2450 with factory 123gr SSTs And 28.3gr of 8208. Thats more than enough to kill deer at normal distances as it’s still traveling 2000fps at 250yds. Your 22” should be getting at least 100fps better than that. Most reloaders prefer 120 gold dot for whitetail with similar speeds but I can’t find them anywhere to try them

Last edited:
    My 18” JP gets 2450 with factory 123gr SSTs And 28.3gr of 8208. Thats more than enough to kill deer at normal distances as it’s still traveling 2000fps at 250yds. Your 22” should be getting approx 100fps better than that. Most reloaders prefer 120 gold dot for whitetail with similar speeds but I can’t find them anywhere to try them
    I took a whitetail at around 300 yards 3 years ago with 120 OTM. Decimated the shoulder, but the vitals where completely fine. Not sure how it even died. After that I never took a shot over 150 yards. Ended up getting a 6mm creedmoor, and building a 300 SAUM right now. Don't want to have the opportunity to take a buck at 300 yards and not be confident about it.

Reactions: DubfromGA