• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC load data

Just tested some hornady 147gr eld match ammo, 2980 fps on one lot.
But the other lot (bought a case of) tested at 3060-3085 fps. Easy bolt lift every time.

Rifle specs? 3085 with factory box 147 is rollin’

20180922_155404.jpg

Remington 700 with a 28 in Krieger mtu barrel

Diminishing returns. I am glad I didn't build a prc. I was hyped at first but am happy with the performance of my 6.5 creed rifles. Can easily get 140s over 2800 with much less powder.
That's nice. Imagine what that turd will do with 60 grains instead of 42... ?

Reactions: TITUSROCK
I have a 6.5 PRC in a Curtis Custom Axiom w/ WTO Swithc Lug, 26" MPA Barrel 1:8 (M24 profile on the build list) MPA Brake, MPA Compettion Chassis.

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 73*
Ammo Temp - 65*
Station pressure 25.35
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 3-7 from the left

Factory Hornady 147ELD Match
Crono with a Labradar - first 21 rounds fired
Stats - Average 2921.54fps
Stats - Highest 2988.9fps
Stats - Lowest 2894.12fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 94.78fps
Stats - Std. Dev 22.88fps

Second trip, reload testing -

4860 ASL
Ambient Temp - 69*
Ammo Temp - 60*
Station pressure 25.28
Clear and sunny
Wind variable 2-5 from the left then shifted to a tail wind from shooting position
600y was full value from the left (had a steel plate set)

Zero confirmation with factory ammo and LR position with Omega 30
Stats - Average 2925.2 fps
Stats - Highest 2954.35 fps
Stats - Lowest 2892 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 62.35 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 21.24 fps

First run of Reload using RL-26, Hornady 147 ELD, Federal 210, COAL 2.950, Neck tension .002, CL should bump .001
Charge weights 50.0gr to 54.5 in .5 increments

3 shot Velocity averages were 2723 to 2957. I have 2 areas that I am going to chase

53.5 gr
Stats - Average 2928.03fps
Stats - Highest 2928.6fps
Stats - Lowest 2927.54fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 1.07fps
Stats - Std. Dev 0.54fps

Velocity node -
54.0 gr
Stats - Average 2949.92fps
Stats - Highest 2955.42fps
Stats - Lowest 2943.21fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 12.21fps
Stats - Std. Dev 6.19fps

54.5gr
Stats - Average 2957.46 fps
Stats - Highest 2975.78 fps
Stats - Lowest 2946.93 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 28.85 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 15.93 fps
From Last 7.54 FPS

Yesterdays results with the charges listed above in 5 shot groups finalized my load choice.

54.1 gr
Stats - Average 3026 fps
Stats - Highest 3034 fps
Stats - Lowest 3017 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 17 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 6.2 fps

54.2 gr
Stats - Average 3032 fps
Stats - Highest 3039 fps
Stats - Lowest 3023 fps
Stats - Ext. Spread 16 fps
Stats - Std. Dev 6.8 fps

Both gave me 5 shot ragged holes at .3 and .4 MOA

Not sure why both factory Hornady ammo for a baseline both times and the charges that I tested clocked 75 +/- faster. Conditions were virtually the same, if not colder ammo and ambient (forgot my IR thermometer for the ammo).

I am sticking with this load as it's darn close to Factory with better SD/ES, and I have a speed limit of 3k at the one match that I shoot.

I'm new to this round and new to the site.

Just put 20 rounds thru my new rifle (6.5 PRC) while zeroing with some Hornady 147ELD Match that I just purchased from GAP.

Chrono was an Oehler 35P.

MV - 3061

Std. Dev. - 8.66

That's for 1 box of 20....

I'm pleased so far.

I'm new to this round and new to the site.

Just put 20 rounds thru my new rifle (6.5 PRC) while zeroing with some Hornady 147ELD Match that I just purchased from GAP.

Chrono was an Oehler 35P.

MV - 3061

Std. Dev. - 8.66

That's for 1 box of 20....

I'm pleased so far.

What are specs/details of your rifle?

GA Precision Team Rifle
Nightforce
6.5 PRC
Tempest action - 60 degree bolt - super smooth and amazingly fast
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger - 1 lb pull
Bartlein - GAP contour #7 26" 1/8
Fat Bastard Gen 2 brake
Manners Elite Tac MCS-PRS stock
PGS Stealth Floor metal
20 MOA base

Those are the details - I got 1/2 MOA off the hood of the G in a fairly unstable position. Like I said, pleased so far...

My plan is to attend local PRS matches as a prep for hunting in some pretty remote/difficult NM terrain.

There is another thread running about someone with pressure marks (ejector swipes and looked like flat primers). What is your lot number on the ammo? More to point did you get the same?

Your speeds are a touch faster than mine with 300 rounds down range (I gained 75fps from virgin). By and large people have been reporting below the advertised 2910 (?) speeds with the factory 147 load.

Hornady 147ELD 6.5 PRC Match, lot #81620. Got 2 cases.

Slightly flat primers, no ejector marks,no heavy bolt lift.

I went out again today to verify zero from a stable position- best two groups were .199 and .210. Much better than the GA Precision 1/3 MOA guarantee and I wasn’t trying very hard. Very pleased again:)

Now I just need to get my inputs correct on the Sig Kilo 2400ABS. I thought I had everything right but I was quite low at 600. Nailed it on the second shot with holdover. It was an elevation issue. I was shooting up a pretty steep incline so it could be that or maybe the factory ammo is super temp sensitive... 10 degrees cooler today than when I ran it thru the chronograph. I’ll shoot it flat next time to eliminate the incline factor.

A1815412-EA91-4CA6-865E-3BAB60F851CB.jpeg

Mines up and running... first box of factory 147 grouped .8, .6, .6 after sight in. Grabbed a few more boxes to get it broken in. Anybody loaded for 124 Hammer Hunters or have ideas for mono solids? How does RL26 work for lighter bullets? Would be pretty neat to get them singing up over 3200.

Nice looking rifle JC. Are you going to put a brake or suppressor on it? What does the gun weigh in at? Did you get a MV? How was the recoil?

Hornady 147ELD 6.5 PRC Match, lot #81620. Got 2 cases.

Slightly flat primers, no ejector marks,no heavy bolt lift.

I went out again today to verify zero from a stable position- best two groups were .199 and .210. Much better than the GA Precision 1/3 MOA guarantee and I wasn’t trying very hard. Very pleased again:)

Now I just need to get my inputs correct on the Sig Kilo 2400ABS. I thought I had everything right but I was quite low at 600. Nailed it on the second shot with holdover. It was an elevation issue. I was shooting up a pretty steep incline so it could be that or maybe the factory ammo is super temp sensitive... 10 degrees cooler today than when I ran it thru the chronograph. I’ll shoot it flat next time to eliminate the incline factor.

I should update on this post - the elevation error on the Sig Kilo 2400 AB was 100% my error... I dialed the solution wrong... drove me nuts all night... went thru my data 10 times...woke up the next morning and looked at the turrets and realized my mistake and was quite relieved! Total newbie that I am I’m not surprised.

Competed in my first local PRS match. It felt like being in a unicycle riding contest; not having ever ridden one:) Didn’t have anything but a bag... The rifle held me up nicely and I got 9th out of 17... I’ve always been a lucky bastard:) Can’t wait for the next match now that I have an idea of what’s going on.

I’m going to run the factory ammo thru the Chrono again and will update if I see a change from the 3060 I stated above or the SD.

My form 1 should be finished up really soon. It’s going to be pretty much dedicated to this rifle with a griffin mount and paladin 2 port brake. If it’s not a good performer I have an omega in jail.

Rifle is 10lb 4 ounces, recoil isn’t bad at all, no MV yet.

Cool. It’ll be interesting to follow your experiences, especially your load data once you get to that point. I’ll start reloading for this rifle within the next 6 months or so. In the meantime I’ll be shooting factory ammo and accumulating brass....

Great info all, can’t wait to get mine. Just took all the parts to the smith a couple weeks ago.

FWIW I ran some RL26 load development with some leftover POS Nosler 130 RDF. I was getting into the 3200s (one 5200fps reading - labradar is not infallible) but accuracy sucked in general. I think this is the bullet, as I have yet to get any of my 6.5 rifles to get those damn things to group under an inch no matter what I do.

I have some 120 ELD from a vendor screw up that I may load up some barrel burners with. 3200 to 3300 ought to be possible. Never would have thought of a 120 grain as a varmint round, then again I have not shot at anything with a pulse in 25 years either.

My mistake the factory ammo is rated at 2910. My avg velocity was actually 2862. First rnds through the barrel. Might speed up a litte as it breaks in.
Factory data is with 26” barrel. I didn’t see if you were shooting the same

Did Hornady use two different barrel lengths for their published data? Reloading, their books shows 26" bbl. Originally I thought I read it was tested on 24" bbl. From their website the factory 147gr is tested with 26" and the 143 eldx with a 24" bbl

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190106-155337.png
    Screenshot_20190106-155337.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 230
Anyone try Bertram and/or ADG 6.5PRC Brass yet? How do both compare to Hornady brass?

Anyone try Bertram and/or ADG 6.5PRC Brass yet? How do both compare to Hornady brass?
150 pcs of ADG 6.5PRC brass was delivered this week. I haven’t had time to go through it with any rigorousness. I’d ordered standard and case mouths wear a pretty heavy burr. No big deal. Several mouths arrived dinged up. Packing is robust. Randomly weighing five from the middle of one box 3x were spot on to the 1/10 gr.; 1x (-)1/10 gr.; 1x (-)2/10 gr.

I’ll weight sort it all, chamfer and then weight sort again. I was psyched when the first three were spot on.

Reactions: Dooby
Pricey brass. Be interested to see how the necks are. If no turning required then it might be worth the coin.

Now if RL-26 would come into stock for more than 15min.

Im posting info on my findings in the rifle section under 6.5 PRC. My velocity sped up to 2990 w factory ammo same lot of ammo after 100 rounds. I started loading for it yesterday. Im up to 3100 plus average w 147 eld w awesome accuracy. Best load yet first 3 shot .5 inch at 300 than 4/5 open up a little. Rl-26 heats my med palma barrel quick. I think i will see 3150 fps.
What barrel is that?

150 pcs of ADG 6.5PRC brass was delivered this week. I haven’t had time to go through it with any rigorousness. I’d ordered standard and case mouths wear a pretty heavy burr. No big deal. Several mouths arrived dinged up. Packing is robust. Randomly weighing five from the middle of one box 3x were spot on to the 1/10 gr.; 1x (-)1/10 gr.; 1x (-)2/10 gr.

I’ll weight sort it all, chamfer and then weight sort again. I was psyched when the first three were spot on.

I just got mine today and thought the same. They will need s little prep work. Maybe it would have been worth the 4-5 bucks for the polished brass? I was thinking the only difference would be the anneal line.

I just got mine today and thought the same. They will need s little prep work. Maybe it would have been worth the 4-5 bucks for the polished brass? I was thinking the only difference would be the anneal line.
I was told at Shot that the only difference would be the anneal line. I too would be interested in seeing what the “bright” product looked like, but the burr on these isn’t going to polish off.

Virgin Hornady brass no prep work , RL-26 w CCI 200 , no signs of pressure!!! Aiming for 3200 FPS in the spring

Not that they will be apples to apples at all with my 24'' barrel, but what powder charge did you land on with that crazy speed?

In my 24” Havak with RL-26, ADG brass, CCI 250 and a 147 ELD-M I did a quick Chrono ladder/pressure test and found a .6 grain wide node from 54.8 to 55.4 (54.8, 55.1, 55.4) that had a velocity spread of 7 fps at 2930, 2937, and 2934 fps. I ran up to 57.2 grains and noticed a light ejector mark (3042 fps) so I stopped. None of the upper charges produced a flat spot. Is this node at 2935 fps as good as it gets in a 24” barrel? Has 8133, H1000, or 4831 SC created any higher velocity than RL-26?

Just starting out with my new 6.5 PRC and appreciate all the work everyone is doing. Is anyone using Retumbo and seeing good results? From what I can tell, it seems that the most common powder is RL 26. How about H1000? I appreciate any feedback as I am starting from ground zero....

Tagging in. My Mesa Crux PRC shooting in the .3s already with factory. Gonna be a fun journey this one..

Reactions: 98Vandal
I've read several people using H1000 with good results. RL26 has been OOS since November or sooner, and was only available for about 15 minutes from Midway a few weeks ago.

I've been patiently waiting for it to hit the stores again, but I may have to suck it up and try something else.

Likewise with the Hornady Brass - OOS since Novemberish. Two other companies have been producing brass for it, but they are awfully proud of it (more than loaded ammo) and on my 4th loading of Hornady brass, primer pockets are still tight, getting consistant sub MOA groups confirmed at 750 (.5 +/-) and I have done nothing but clean and FL size with a bushing die.

Reactions: 98Vandal
I've read several people using H1000 with good results. RL26 has been OOS since November or sooner, and was only available for about 15 minutes from Midway a few weeks ago.

I've been patiently waiting for it to hit the stores again, but I may have to suck it up and try something else.

Likewise with the Hornady Brass - OOS since Novemberish. Two other companies have been producing brass for it, but they are awfully proud of it (more than loaded ammo) and on my 4th loading of Hornady brass, primer pockets are still tight, getting consistant sub MOA groups confirmed at 750 (.5 +/-) and I have done nothing but clean and FL size with a bushing die.

I would give ADG a go. Honestly I have 13-14 loads on their 300 win mag brass with 77.8gr of H1k powder and 200gr pills. So a pretty stout load. Primer pockets still tight. I'm waiting for them to come out with 300 PRC brass and I will ditch the Hornady in a second for it. Peterson and Lapua are the only other brass that are slightly more consistent then the ADG. Im thinking of a 6.5PRC barrel for an AXMC and the ADG will be the brass I pick up for it. Worth the coin to pick some up in my opinion.

Last edited:
In my 24” Havak with RL-26, ADG brass, CCI 250 and a 147 ELD-M I did a quick Chrono ladder/pressure test and found a .6 grain wide node from 54.8 to 55.4 (54.8, 55.1, 55.4) that had a velocity spread of 7 fps at 2930, 2937, and 2934 fps. I ran up to 57.2 grains and noticed a light ejector mark (3042 fps) so I stopped. None of the upper charges produced a flat spot. Is this node at 2935 fps as good as it gets in a 24” barrel? Has 8133, H1000, or 4831 SC created any higher velocity than RL-26?
What size are your fired necks in the havak? I just received mine and looking to get bushings for my dies. My loaded 6.5 prc rounds with ADG brass measure .294. Wondering how much the necks are expanding after firing.

What size are your fired necks in the havak? I just received mine and looking to get bushings for my dies. My loaded 6.5 prc rounds with ADG brass measure .294. Wondering how much the necks are expanding after firing.

Nothing to do with the havak, but you get your neck bushings 2 thou less then your loaded ammo as a good starting point. So if loaded ADG brass / ammo is .294 you would want roughly .292 neck bushing.

Reactions: scale
Nothing to do with the havak, but you get your neck bushings 2 thou less then your loaded ammo as a good starting point. So if loaded ADG brass / ammo is .294 you would want roughly .292 neck bushing.
I am planning on getting a .292 but also wondering if I’ll need a larger bushing if the fired brass is to large to neck size down in one step.

The fired neck size is dependant on the chamber, and that would be one seriously out of spec (large) reamer to make the fired neck to large to go through a bushing die.

You will be fine.

I would recommend getting 3 bushings though. One at your measured target size (ex .292) and one above and below that (.291 & .293). If you find out that your measured size is not right, then you are in the hurry up and wait for another bushing mode, unless you have a local shop that has the bushings on hand,

Reactions: scale
I wanted .292 but have a .291 laying around so that's what I'll try first. So far I'm just running virgin brass. FYI, the ADG brass was super tight, so I ran them up inside an expander ball before loading because the first 10 I loaded had somewhere around .006-.008 of neck tension. After running them over an expander ball they were about .291. I haven't shot the gun for a bit, as it's been snowing every dang day and I'm more focused on my Piercision 300 Norma Improved at the moment.

I bought a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target Rifle in 6.5 PRC. The stock is nice and adjustable, but it's wood. I machined some pillars and bedded it. I only fired one box of factory ammo prior to bedding, it was grouping on average about .6 - .7 moa.

I gave it a paint job, took to the range, swapped scopes from my Bushnell HDMR to Vortex PST 2 and was zeroing after every 5 shots. These were my best groups