• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 prc right choice?

Man7dowN

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2017
I ordered a 6.5 prc from sac.

Wondering if I made the right caliber choice.
Looking to just have fun at the range without excessive recoil but also stretch out to a mile one day.

What's your thoughts on the 6.5 prc so far

Reactions: BCX
I don’t think you’ll have an issue with it.

I’ve shot smaller cartridges to a mile but now I’m getting a new barrel just for that with more cowbell.

Only tough part about shooting at a mile is those 140 and 147’s can be hard to spot but they can certainly get there.

Overall I think the 6.5PRC is a decent design.

thanks for the reply, ill just stick with the 6.5cm for now and see where that takes me, maybe look at new barrel options in the future.

Why not go with the PRC when you have the choice. Good brass available (ADG in stock at many places right now). New heavy pills that can move much faster with the PRC. 156 gr Berger's. 150 smks. 153 A-Tips. Seems like a no brainier to me. If your even thinking about 1k plus why not the PRC?

Why not go with the PRC when you have the choice. Good brass available (ADG in stock at many places right now). New heavy pills that can move much faster with the PRC. 156 gr Berger's. 150 smks. 153 A-Tips. Seems like a no brainier to me. If your even thinking about 1k plus why not the PRC?
At a mile even the heaviest high BC 6.5 bullets are at times going to be problematic to spot and even hits are sometimes hard to see in high mirage/low visibility situations.

If you groom your target area it’s really helpful.

180-200grain bullets are pretty decent to spot normally and hits are generally fairly noticeable.

285-300 grain bullet are wonderful to spot and hits are glorious.

I haven’t been around 230-250’s from hero class 300 magnums but I imagine they are pretty good like the 338’s.

I ordered a 6.5 prc from sac.

Wondering if I made the right caliber choice.
Looking to just have fun at the range without excessive recoil but also stretch out to a mile one day.

What's your thoughts on the 6.5 prc so far
I think if you get the shorter freebore in conjunction with readily available short action configurations it is a win.

My gripe is that with the longer freebore you’re gonna have some jump to work with unless you run with the medium actions (xm length for Defiance).

At a mile even the heaviest high BC 6.5 bullets are at times going to be problematic to spot and even hits are sometimes hard to see in high mirage/low visibility situations.

If you groom your target area it’s really helpful.

180-200grain bullets are pretty decent to spot normally and hits are generally fairly noticeable.

285-300 grain bullet are wonderful to spot and hits are glorious.

I haven’t been around 230-250’s from hero class 300 magnums but I imagine they are pretty good like the 338’s.

I agree with you.

I'm just comparing the two the OP asked for specifically. I don't even shoot 6.5 anything at a mile. 30 magnums for me. 215 and 230 pills from 2900 to 3k+ fps pending your load and barrel length get it done very nicely.

But between the two in question specifically, I would go for the PRC.

I agree with you.

I'm just comparing the two the OP asked for specifically. I don't even shoot 6.5 anything at a mile. 30 magnums for me. 215 and 230 pills from 2900 to 3k+ fps pending your load and barrel length get it done very nicely.

But between the two in question specifically, I would go for the PRC.

For 1400ish and beyond I’d definitely pick PRC over my 260 or a 6.5creedmoor as well.

I shot my 6.5PRC out to 2100y at the NF ELR Match. Got a hits pass 1700y and 1st round hit at 1801y.

And I was pushing 140's at a slow 2962fps. Only had a week to break in a new barrel and find a load, using ADG Brass.

300PRC might be an easier choice if you're going to consistenly push past 1500y. Especially with the new 230-250gr A-Tips. Tempted to give that a try and shoot my 6.5PRC for the RTC Matches.

But the 140's held their own for me. If I shoot the 6.5PRC again for next ELR match, I'll try and push them around mid 3k fps.

I overheard a conversation at the range on Saturday.
Guy 1: I bought a 6.5PRC barreled action.
Guy 2: Wow 6.5PRC sucks ass. You should get a 6.5 Sherman.
G1: Well it was a good deal...

To be fair, guy 2 looked and sounded like a real douchebag so I’d take his advice with a grain of salt.

Reactions: WhiteNnerdy

To be fair, guy 2 looked and sounded like a real douchebag so I’d take his advice with a grain of salt.

6.5 SS is an innovative cartridge.
It doesn’t make 6.5 obsolete at all.

Reactions: charnicus

Rather than just say sucks ass he should’ve elaborated on the why. I agree when that’s the best someone can come up with they look / sound like a douche.

Reactions: Steel head
Rather than just say sucks ass he should’ve elaborated on the why. I agree when that’s the best someone can come up with they look / sound like a douche.
I concur.
Dude 2 almost certainly doesn’t have any 6.5 magnum or probably ever even seen one in person, just an internet commandouche.

6.5 saum
6.5PRC
6.5 SS
All are short action friendly.
All are close in speed.
Just minor changes with minor results from those changes.
In a world without 2.95 mags the 6.5SS would have a bigger advantage.

first off thank you all for the info its a good talk, im sure its been talked about 1k times on here lol..

im sticking with the 6.5cm , you cant have it all with one gun. im sure we all would like to

you cant have a low recoil bullet and hit a mile consistently , and you cant go to the range and enjoy some good shooting all day with allot of recoil...

ill just enjoy the 6.5 for being a good gun with good recoil and get something in 30cal for reaching out to that mile and beyond when the time comes

ill post some pics here when the gun is complete. ( SAC ) short action customs is doing my build and have worked with me a ton. mark and the sac team has been great

its just a matter of deciding on a scope now. the gun is set in stone.
looking at spending 2-3k been looking at nf and khales somthing around 5x25-56

Last edited:
first off thank you all for the info its a good talk, im sure its been talked about 1k times on here lol..

im sticking with the 6.5cm , you cant have it all with one gun. im sure we all would like to

you cant have a low recoil bullet and hit a mile consistently , and you cant go to the range and enjoy some good shooting all day with allot of recoil...

ill just enjoy the 6.5 for being a good gun with good recoil and get something in 30cal for reaching out to that mile and beyond when the time comes

ill post some pics here when the gun is complete. ( SAC ) short action customs is doing my build and have worked with me a ton. mark and the sac team has been great

In decent conditions with a prepped target area you might be surprised what the Creedmoor can do.
Post pics when you get it.
SAC builds awesome stuff so it will almost certainly amaze you.

I concur.
Dude 2 almost certainly doesn’t have any 6.5 magnum or probably ever even seen one in person, just an internet commandouche.

6.5 saum
6.5PRC
6.5 SS
All are short action friendly.
All are close in speed.
Just minor changes with minor results from those changes.
In a world without 2.95 mags the 6.5SS would have a bigger advantage.
I agree. All have readily available brass as well which is a great thing. We live in great times.

its just a matter of deciding on a scope now. the gun is set in stone.
looking at spending 2-3k been looking at nf and khales somthing around 5x25-56
You’ll enjoy the 6.5 Creedmoor. Very accurate round and easy to shoot. There are a lot of good loads floating around in various posts.
Do show some pics of the completed work.
For scopes while you wouldn’t go wrong with either of those too I’d recommend the Minox ZP5. Some good things are being said about the Steiner M7Xi which is next on my purchase list. Both of which can be had in your price range if you do some shopping around.

Reactions: Man7dowN
My son bought his first PRC and we took it out Saturday and Sunday. Took it to 1405 with Hornady Precision Hunter 143's at around 3000fps. His is a hunting gun (lightweight profile) Christensen Arms Mesa.

Reactions: seansmd
I had a prc built 7 months ago it's my first custom built rifle so lots of learning is happening behind it but I chose it because it can kill elk and it's not to much for an antelope never had it past a thousand yards but it's easy to get there but has enough recoil (not a lot)were you have to realy focus on your fundamentals and when I get there I can take it further than a thousand so I wont outgrow it fast so in my opinion it's a great starter caliber and I am very happy with it