• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5mmSAUM No Turn Neck???

nikchiew

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2005
NZ
Looking at the feasibility of chambering the above mentioned round as I don't like to neck turn when ever possible :). What would the neck specification be and would it deteriorate accuracy? Thanks for advice.

One of my team mates is currently doing load development with a rifle chambered with the "no neck turn reamer", I will direct him to this thread once he gets his dialed in. He, I believe, is going to experiement with turning the "insides of the necks" due to the method we have been using to form brass, he will be able to elaborate on that better than I.

I have a rifle in that caliber, but it isn't the "no neck turn chamber" Mine shoots great with brass that I have sized and neck turned by Copper Creek with 130 Grain Berger HVLD's loaded with 63 grains of H-1000 loaded .063" off the lands. (only took me around 600 rounds to find the OAL it liked!) :)

One of my team mates is currently doing load development with a rifle chambered with the "no neck turn reamer", I will direct him to this thread once he gets his dialed in. He, I believe, is going to experiement with turning the "insides of the necks" due to the method we have been using to form brass, he will be able to elaborate on that better than I.

I have a rifle in that caliber, but it isn't the "no neck turn chamber" Mine shoots great with brass that I have sized and neck turned by Copper Creek with 130 Grain Berger HVLD's loaded with 63 grains of H-1000 loaded .063" off the lands. (only took me around 600 rounds to find the OAL it liked!) :)

63 grains? You must be screaming…. what speeds are you getting? Remington brass?

Yeah, they are moving pretty good. I don't know what velocity is for sure. I have reverse engineered it through ballistic program and it comes up with 3250. I have loaded down a batch to run in the local match here, we'll see how they do. (the only chrono I have access to is a POS, so the reverse engineering seems to get me closer to being accurate than actually shooting through that hunk-o-shit! :) )

Yeah, I am running Remmington brass. I don't know what brass life is, I have a fresh batch with only two firings on it now, early on, I was over pressuring things by jamming them into the lands until I got that sorted out and I was only getting 4-5 firings out of that stuff before I started losing neck tension. I don't anneal, not sure if that would help, but what was happening is even after FL sizing you could drop a round through the necks, it actually helped me "find the lands" I didn't have a dummy round, so I used one with marginal neck tension and loaded it long, chambered it, and remesured it, it pushed the round further in and I used that as my "on the lands" measurement. I am no reloading guru by any means, but I bull dozed my way through it and it shoots like a champ now!

I am absolutely loving the rifle. Got an elk on the run at 320 yards (running up hill away from me. spine shot it) Got a mule deer head shot at 560 yards, it is doing what I built it for! :)

Yeah, they are moving pretty good. I don't know what velocity is for sure. I have reverse engineered it through ballistic program and it comes up with 3250. I have loaded down a batch to run in the local match here, we'll see how they do. (the only chrono I have access to is a POS, so the reverse engineering seems to get me closer to being accurate than actually shooting through that hunk-o-shit! :) )

I glanced right over your bullet type. 130gr Berger should be good to go at 63gr in Remington brass. Thats what we run.

Annealing will help your brass life.

What Elite Iron suppressor are you using?

I am running the Elite Iron Delta Suppressor. It came out of their custom shop, I went with a 3/4" thread to match my JP brake on my Creedmoor, it is also chambered and stamped for 6.5, I believe the Delta is generally there .223 can and they opened it up for 6.5, it works well and doesn't have a negative affect on accuracy. (I used to get a shift in POI when installing it, we clocked the can so that the shift would be "up" instead of "left" like it used to be and it seems to have effectively removed the shift) I can run the same dope with or without it.

***note: my explanation of them opening up a .223 can to 6.5 is from my Layman's interpretation of what went on there, you may want to research that further, but that is my understanding, it does the job at keeping the noise to a minimum and when I run subs in my Creedmoor it is like shooting an air rifle! The ping of the steel is by far the loudest noise you here!***

There is also a whole thread on the GAP EXTREME HUNTER IN 6.5 SAUM that has info for both turned and no turn chambers and specs for both of them.

I am running the Elite Iron Delta Suppressor. It came out of their custom shop, I went with a 3/4" thread to match my JP brake on my Creedmoor, it is also chambered and stamped for 6.5, I believe the Delta is generally there .223 can and they opened it up for 6.5, it works well and doesn't have a negative affect on accuracy. (I used to get a shift in POI when installing it, we clocked the can so that the shift would be "up" instead of "left" like it used to be and it seems to have effectively removed the shift) I can run the same dope with or without it.

***note: my explanation of them opening up a .223 can to 6.5 is from my Layman's interpretation of what went on there, you may want to research that further, but that is my understanding, it does the job at keeping the noise to a minimum and when I run subs in my Creedmoor it is like shooting an air rifle! The ping of the steel is by far the loudest noise you here!***

So they just altered a 223 can by opening up the bore to allow 6.5 to pass thru or did they alter the baffles to work with higher pressures? I would be very cautious of running a magnum load in an altered 223 can if that is the case.

I only ask because the suppressor looks very small. I run their 338 Sierra can on my SAUM, it does a great job.

You bring up a valid point, I really don't know what their process was. Not sure if they literally just bored out one of their standard 223 cans for 6.5, or if there was more to it, I have shot it a fair amount both with the Creedmoor and the SAUM and haven't had any issues, The SAUM will be going back in the safe for a fair amount of time until I start getting ready for hunting season next year, so I will hit them up at SHOT this year and run that by them.

Ya you should address that with them. If it's an altered 223 suppressor and you are shooting magnum powder loads thru it, just a matter of time before you see some damage.

I was thinking more about this today and I forgot, but I did call them before I ran it, as one of my shooting buddies had brought it up before I threaded my barrel for it (I had originally ran a different thread pitch brake on this one, so we had to re-do the threads), so I called and let them know what the caliber was and that I was expecting velocities in the 3250 range and they did give me their blessing on it. One of those senior moments I guess, I had forgot all about it until today when I was pondering having the discussion with them at SHOT this year.