• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**6 Creedmoor**

Ok, got my shit together this morning and using the Deep Creek Method, measured my distance to the lands. 1450rds on the barrel and it's still shooting great (see post above).

Last time I measured the distance to the lands on this barrel it had ~500rds down the pipe... this is a 26" Proof Research Competition Contour Stainless 6CM Origin prefit 7.5T.

@500rds: distance to lands = CBTO 2.235"

@1450rds: distance to lands = CBTO 2.241"

That's only .006 fucking thousandths of throat erosion over ~1000rds!!!

I did this twice, a second time with a different piece of brass and different bullet, same result.

So by running a load that's ~175-200fps slower than @High Desert duck, and jumping a bunch more (+0.095" more to be exact), the throat on my barrel is eroding at a rate MUCH slower than on his barrel.

Someone better at math please help me out, but, it looks like by running hotter and right up on the lands he is getting 2x the amount of erosion as I am, in only 1/4 the rounds...

So, scientifically-speaking: his barrel is wearing a metric fuck-ton faster than mine is. (In fact, sorry dude, but my barrel, with twice the rounds on it, is probably in better condition than yours at this point.)

Comparing one barrel to another isn't really much of anything... so I hope anyone with anything of value to add on this will chime in...

Last edited:
Reactions: Noobilicious
It's funny, I've been messing around with more and more bullet-jump to where .020" off or closer seems crazy to me now hahaha.

What I like about the Deep Creek Method is that it's so precise: there's no measuring over and over again or throwing anything out, once there's no more "click", you measure your dummy round and you're done, that's it. Though you're right, I guess it can be easier with some actions over others, with an Origin all it takes is a twist to pull the firing pin assembly, and a fixed ejector means no disassembly required.

I was going to take a measurement this morning, but was too lazy to get into it before running errands and before going out and shooting another 50rds. But now, part of me doesn't even want to know where the lands are because it's shooting just fine and sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Someone put a popper at 1250 yards, and I figured if I got an impact on the IPSC I'd try to hit it... ended up going 9 out of 10 going back and forth between the IPSC and the popper (I probably should have stopped for a lottery ticket on the way home hahaha):

View attachment 7727115View attachment 7727117View attachment 7727118
Nice shooting! I took my 6CM out to 1260 this past thursday. It didn't suck.

Reactions: CK1.0
Ok, got my shit together this morning and using the Deep Creek Method, measured my distance to the lands. 1450rds on the barrel and it's still shooting great (see post above).

Last time I measured the distance to the lands on this barrel it had ~500rds down the pipe... this is a 26" Proof Research Competition Contour Stainless 6CM Origin prefit 7.5T.

@500rds: distance to lands = CBTO 2.235"

@1450rds: distance to lands = CBTO 2.241"

That's only .006 fucking thousandths of throat erosion over ~1000rds!!!

I did this twice, a second time with a different piece of brass and different bullet, same result.

So by running a load that's ~175-200fps slower than @High Desert duck, and jumping a bunch more (+0.095" more to be exact), the throat on my barrel is eroding at a rate MUCH slower than on his barrel.

Someone better at math please help me out, but, it looks like by running hotter and right up on the lands he is getting 2x the amount of erosion as I am, in only 1/4 the rounds...

So, scientifically-speaking: his barrel is wearing a metric fuck-ton faster than mine is. (In fact, sorry dude, but my barrel, with twice the rounds on it, is probably in better condition than yours at this point.)

Comparing one barrel to another isn't really much of anything... so I hope anyone with anything of value to add on this will chime in...

What speeds are you running with which Bullet? I found a couple of great speeds for the Berger 105 Hybrid and the 109 LR Hybrid. I'm running the 105 at about 2970 and the 109 @2940. Both are about 0.020 off the lands. Both shoot lights out at 1200+. And I just passed 100 rounds on the barrel. I just don't feel the need for speed anymore. I chased that with my .260 recently and blew through a lot of brass and just general ass pain.

What speeds are you running with which Bullet? I found a couple of great speeds for the Berger 105 Hybrid and the 109 LR Hybrid. I'm running the 105 at about 2970 and the 109 @2940. Both are about 0.020 off the lands. Both shoot lights out at 1200+. And I just passed 100 rounds on the barrel. I just don't feel the need for speed anymore. I chased that with my .260 recently and blew through a lot of brass and just general ass pain.
Yesterday I was running only 2791fps at 69degF (pretty dang slow by traditional 6CM standards), 112gr Match Burners, which actually have turned out to become a pretty awesome stand-in for DTAC's, yielding a G7 BC of .305 for me.

I think I'm now a total convert to using a heavier 112/115 Match Burners/DTAC's versus the Hornady 105HPBT/105 ELD-M's which I also have run a bunch of... there does seem to be a little more magic with a heavier projectile going slow vs a light one going slow... but, then again, I never really tried those loading them like I am these days (slow and big jump), they might be great like that too, IDK? The lighter bullets should mean even less recoil, maybe not as good in the wind downrange, but if they still perform, then maybe some guys might like them better?

I was never lucky enough to score a large enough quantity of Berger Hybrids of either 105 or 109 variety to have any opinion or anything to offer, but they must be good because they're always expensive and/or sold-out hahaha.

I can only speak for myself, but from the way things are going for me running slow and using a big jump, it's looking like I might get twice the usable barrel life as usual for 6CM and my brass (300ct Lapua 22-250 necked up to 6CM) will last forever (or at least a couple barrels)...

I think the main thing I've decided upon is: more bullet jump is good (for my purposes at least).

It's all still a dance around barrel harmonics, but that means: sine waves, and sine waves are reoccurring and get larger as one gets further away from the lands when loading... so seems like if you can load in a bigger more forgiving "hump" of the same harmonic wave further down the line, you can end up with a load that still shoots, but isn't as finicky or as much of a throat burner... that's my guess anyways.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was running only 2791fps at 69degF (pretty dang slow by traditional 6CM standards), 112gr Match Burners, which actually have turned out to become a pretty awesome stand-in for DTAC's, yielding a G7 BC of .305 for me.

I think I'm now a total convert to using a heavier 112/115 Match Burners/DTAC's versus the Hornady 105HPBT/105 ELD-M's which I also have run a bunch of... there does seem to be a little more magic with a heavier projectile going slow vs a light one going slow... but, then again, I never really tried those loading them like I am these days (slow and big jump), they might be great like that too, IDK? The lighter bullets should mean even less recoil, maybe not as good in the wind downrange, but if they still perform, then maybe some guys might like them better?

I was never lucky enough to score a large enough quantity of Berger Hybrids of either 105 or 109 variety to have any opinion or anything to offer, but they must be good because they're always expensive and/or sold-out hahaha.

I can only speak for myself, but from the way things are going for me running slow and using a big jump, it's looking like I might get twice the usable barrel life as usual for 6CM and my brass (300ct Lapua 22-250 necked up to 6CM) will last forever (or at least a couple barrels)...

I think the main thing I've decided upon is: more bullet jump is good (for my purposes at least).

It's all still a dance around barrel harmonics, but that means: sine waves, and sine waves are reoccurring and get larger as one gets further away from the lands when loading... so seems like if you can load in a bigger more forgiving "hump" of the same harmonic wave further down the line, you can end up with a load that still shoots, but isn't as finicky or as much of a throat burner... that's my guess anyways.
How far you jumping the 112s in ur creed? You must be burning a faster powder than normal? Usually you drop that low in velocity, inconsistent ignition occurs.

How far you jumping the 112s in ur creed? You must be burning a faster powder than normal? Usually you drop that low in velocity, inconsistent ignition occurs.

I'm jumping ~.100" (yep, one-hundred thou). For powder I'm just using Sta-Ball 6.5, 41 grains, no ignition issues.

I arrived at 41 grains with a scientific wild-ass guess and it netted me ~2900fps in the summer (TN summer = mid/upper 90's, nasty near 100% humidity). My MV has been slowing down as the temps have dropped, but not as bad as one might think since the humidity has dropped too. The gun still shoots fine so I haven't changed anything.

I'm jumping ~.100" (yep, one-hundred thou). For powder I'm just using Sta-Ball 6.5, 41 grains, no ignition issues.

I arrived at 41 grains with a scientific wild-ass guess and it netted me ~2900fps in the summer (TN summer = mid/upper 90's, nasty near 100% humidity). My MV has been slowing down as the temps have dropped, but not as bad as one might think since the humidity has dropped too. The gun still shoots fine so I haven't changed anything.
I appreciate the info! I tried the 112s in my 6gt, the most accurate seating depth was 75k but wasn't as consistent as 109lrht. The 145 burners shoot best in my 6.5x284 125k off lands.

Reactions: CK1.0
The info above is loaded to 2.800" and guesstimated speed is 2996 FPS with a 40.0 grain charge of URP at 96% fill capacity.
I found some of it (URP) recently and gave it a try. It is as clean and easy as MRP, and the lower node at 38.75 gave me good accuracy, with B105 going out at dasherish speed of 2875.

Reactions: MilSpecOkie
Did you clean the barrel before measuring the lands? And did you use the same bullet and piece of brass?

Clean barrel yes, same type of brass/bullet yes, exact same specific pieces no…

I think I see what you’re getting at and you’re probably correct in that there’s some room for error, but I doubt it’s that far off. Even if I’m off by as much as 0.010”, still seems my erosion is going more slowly than usual with the big jump and going slow…

I have a brand new version of the same thing, same barrel and everything else, enough of the same components to shoot it out, that I’ll be putting on sooner or later and I’m going to try to track that one more meticulously… though, I’ve hit the 2000rd mark and was hitting 1moa plates at 1000yrds yesterday pretty easily, so it could be awhile, I’m hoping I’m going to see 2500rds (or more?)…

CK1.0

I always set one bullet and piece of brass aside to use for the life of the barrel, or multiple barrels.

I have 2K 112s that I bought as I was about to run out of Berger’s. Of course the week I got them I got my shipping notice in my back ordered Bergers. I need to work on the 112s. I hope I have as good of results as you.

Reactions: Doc68 and CK1.0
It's hard to grasp for me logically. I guess what I mean is, How do you see your barrel being shot out at the end of it's life span? .006" for the first 1000rds, .010" (?) for the next 1000rds, and then .150" in the next 200rds? Or do you think your barrel will go 3000-5000 rds?

I've measured and tracked about 6 barrels. Along with my gunsmith who tracked about a dozen during a years period. I eroded the lands .090" on a Bartlein barrel shooting a 6.5x47 130 Hybrids at 2830fps. That initiated this big experiment to see whose barrels were eroding as quickly. We tracked 6BR's, 6XC's, 6 Dashers, 6.5 Creedmoors. All the barrels we tracked eroded at a rate of .002 to .006" per 100rds.

IDK... it certainly surprised me how little it has eroded, but to your point, that's assuming I have my shit straight and I measured accurately.

I suppose there's a chance I screwed up measuring it the first time around? That could be one way my numbers got wonky?

That said, I've honestly pampered the barrel the entire time and haven't shot anything faster than 2950fps, and to my knowledge I've never heard of anybody babying a 6CM barrel as much, so there's also a chance I've got my facts straight.

Though, whether I've got my shit straight or not on measuring the erosion, the barrel has been weirdly consistent and stable for all 2000rds. I haven't changed a thing, same components, same charge, same seating depth, everything. As a result it's been almost boring and has allowed me to concentrate on getting better at actual shooting instead of dicking around with load development. I've never experienced that before and with previous barrels I had to make adjustments here and there over the life of the barrel, not this one...

When I spin on the next barrel I'm going to set aside a piece of brass and bullet to keep/use just for measuring purposes (ala @MilSpecOkie) and I guess I'll see what I get, this time making sure to keep things as pseudo-scientific as I can.

Reactions: owyheerat
I'm also starting to load over .100" off the lands on some of my barrels. I certainly do think there's probably some merit to the idea of reduced throat erosion from longer freebores/ jumps

Yeah, something good is happening I think, shoots boringly the same, for a long time (which is great IMO).

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but I'm going to try to clean my gun and measure my distance to the lands before I hit the range next, I will then put the case and bullet I use to measure aside and shoot 100-150rds (I usually shoot 50rds a range trip, so this will take a few weeks). I'll clean the gun again, pull the bullet (gently/carefully), resize/mandrel the case, then reseat the bullet before I measure again. Then I guess I'll see what I get?

We built 2 different 6 Creeds with the same barrel, chambered consecutively, and shot in the same matches.

One barrel got fed a steady diet of FGMM 105s around 3,160fps.

The other got nothing but Berger factory-loaded 105s around 2,990fps.

The first barrel went to about 1,100 rounds before it took a dump. We got the Berger barrel to 1,800 before we got sick of trying to shoot it out. There’s certainly something to shooting the bigger cases at slower speeds if the consistency is there.

For me, I went to BR this past season and missed the 6CM every second of it. My AT-X is going to get 110a-tips over H4350 around 3,000fps this season… see where that leaves us.

Reactions: tydex21
We built 2 different 6 Creeds with the same barrel, chambered consecutively, and shot in the same matches.

One barrel got fed a steady diet of FGMM 105s around 3,160fps.

The other got nothing but Berger factory-loaded 105s around 2,990fps.

The first barrel went to about 1,100 rounds before it took a dump. We got the Berger barrel to 1,800 before we got sick of trying to shoot it out. There’s certainly something to shooting the bigger cases at slower speeds if the consistency is there.

For me, I went to BR this past season and missed the 6CM every second of it. My AT-X is going to get 110a-tips over H4350 around 3,000fps this season… see where that leaves us.
I agree. I have a couple of very promising loads with Bergers...... 105 HT around 2975-2980 and 109 LRHT around 2950-2960. They get out to 1300+ pretty easily and very accurately. So I'm hoping I get a lot of barrel life out of these. I just don't feel the need for more speed.

Been developing on Staball6.5 in a PVA/Rock Creek 26" 7twist 6Creed

108Berger boat tail jumping .020"

Large pocket starline brass

Fed210 primers

44.2 gets me 3115fps and ES in the teens.. Easily sub .4

From my data as of today it looks like the powder adjustment is roughly .65fps per degree of temp change.

Last edited:
Can you expound on this? What did you miss about the 6CM?
Thanks
It has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with confidence. I simply shoot 6 Creed better than I do BR.

105s at 2,800 vs 105s at 3,000 makes very little difference down range. Maybe a tenth or two in wind past like 700 yards or so, I just prefer the Creed.

I still have the BR and I’ll still shoot it. I’ll just shoot the Creed more often at matches.

It has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with confidence. I simply shoot 6 Creed better than I do BR.

105s at 2,800 vs 105s at 3,000 makes very little difference down range. Maybe a tenth or two in wind past like 700 yards or so, I just prefer the Creed.

I still have the BR and I’ll still shoot it. I’ll just shoot the Creed more often at matches.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Good luck next season

I just getting back into reloading for my 6 creedmoor, and, sadly, I am at the point of having to buy new consumables. Does anyone have any experience with Vihtavouri N540 with berger 105 match hybrids? I can get 8lbs of viht for a reasonable price, but I have only ever used 4350. It is listed on the viht site as one of the recommended powders, I just wondered if anyone had experience with it.

TIA!

They list some info for N540 and 105 Berger on the Vihtavuori rifle reloading data website.
Had the same thoughts of trying N540 but H4350 has not disappointed.

Reactions: Rebel Rooster
I wanted to update the thread with what I'm seeing as far as barrel erosion when running kind of slow (~2850fps) and using a healthy bullet-jump (~.100"). This barrel has never been run hotter than that, and bullets have never been closer than 0.100" off the lands since new (other than a handful when new and testing jumps).

FWIW, I'm using the Deep Creek method of finding the lands. On the suggestion of @MilSpecOkie I'm using the exact same piece of brass and bullet to do my measuring, and I will use the same ones for the rest of the barrel's life.

@reubenski pointed out that I might be screwing up my measurements by measuring when the barrel is dirty, and he's right, so looking back, I'm kind of throwing out the measurements I took earlier in the barrel's life because I didn't have anything in my notes indicating whether I was measuring a clean barrel or not (and I can't remember).

Also, think my autocomplete has been deleting the word "near" in my last couple posts earlier in the thread when I'd write "near 2000rds" because after seeing it, it made me paranoid, and I had to go back through my notes and make sure I haven't got the barrel's actual round count screwed up... sorry for any confusion (I confused myself too). The barrel truly has "near 2000rds" on it now at an actual 1800. It was easy for me to verify this because I'm now out of Federal LRP's, which I only had 2000 of, and after getting rounds 1801-2000 ready and loaded, I had to get into a case of CCI 200's to load rounds 2001-2100.

tempImagepPVXaf.png

So now, what I do know is:

I cleaned the barrel/chamber at 1500rds, took a measurement, and got a CBTO of 2.241" using a 112gr Barnes Match Burner.

This morning, with 1800rds on the barrel now, I had a chance to clean the barrel/chamber and take another measurement, same exact brass and bullet as before and got a CBTO of 2.243".

So, while not exactly scientific, I'm a lot more confident in my results this time around with these last two tries, and so far the results are still fairly surprising, in that my results show less than ~0.001" of erosion per 100 rounds - when typically 6mm Creedmoor barrels erode at a rate of 0.006-0.007" per 100rds (per Cal @ www.precisionrifleblog.com who's about as a reliable source as anyone, https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/03/24/how-fast-does-a-barrel-wear/).

I hate cleaning guns, so I won't promise I'll check it again at 1900rds, but I do plan to clean the gun and measure again after 2000rds down the tube, and I'll again update the thread with those results in case anyone else cares...

Last edited:
I’m newly reloading 6CM for precision (hope to start competing in PRS once I get load development dialed in) using Lapua brass for a PVA cut barrel.

In an attempt to save a few bucks and out of conscience because it was local, I got a hornady “custom grade” die set and an expanding mandrel (.241”) from 21st century innovation. I’m using the full length sizer to bring the case down, with the expanding ball removed, then the mandrel to make the inside neck as concentric as possible with ~.002” neck tension (dipping case neck in graphite line before the expander).

The problem I’m seeing is I think the FL die is making the neck too small, .265” outside diameter with the total case thick was accounting for .030” of that (so .235” inside diameter before expander mandrel), because after I run the expander mandrel the lip has a bell flair out to .277” until it goes down to the expected .271” outside diameter maybe ten thousands below the lip. Chamfering/deburring isn’t removing the blow out lip and it’s still pretty noticeable.

Do I just cut my losses and switch to the Redding FL bushing sizer with .268” (for use with mandrel) or .271” for no mandrel?

Edit: messed around with it more this evening. Turns out the flare was from lack of lubrication. I’d been using graphite powder dip to lube the necks before the expanding mandrel, but apparently that wasn’t working well as the flare went away once I gave the mandrel a nice rub down with unique case lube. Still on the fence about switching to a Redding bushing die, but I guess I’ll see how these cases go before I make a decision either way.

Last edited:
I’m newly reloading 6CM for precision (hope to start competing in PRS once I get load development dialed in) using Lapua brass for a PVA cut barrel.

In an attempt to save a few bucks and out of conscience because it was local, I got a hornady “custom grade” die set and an expanding mandrel (.241”) from 21st century innovation. I’m using the full length sizer to bring the case down, with the expanding ball removed, then the mandrel to make the inside neck as concentric as possible with ~.002” neck tension (dipping case neck in graphite line before the expander).

The problem I’m seeing is I think the FL die is making the neck too small, .265” outside diameter with the total case thick was accounting for .030” of that (so .235” inside diameter before expander mandrel), because after I run the expander mandrel the lip has a bell flair out to .277” until it goes down to the expected .271” outside diameter maybe ten thousands below the lip. Chamfering/deburring isn’t removing the blow out lip and it’s still pretty noticeable.

Do I just cut my losses and switch to the Redding FL bushing sizer with .268” (for use with mandrel) or .271” for no mandrel?

Edit: messed around with it more this evening. Turns out the flare was from lack of lubrication. I’d been using graphite powder dip to lube the necks before the expanding mandrel, but apparently that wasn’t working well as the flare went away once I gave the mandrel a nice rub down with unique case lube. Still on the fence about switching to a Redding bushing die, but I guess I’ll see how these cases go before I make a decision either way.
I’d try the Hornady die like you planned on and see how far down the neck gets sized. If it takes it down to say .255 and you have to size it back up .010” or more I would get a bushing die instead. Hornady bushing dies work just fine for me. If you have an annealer then I wouldn’t worry too much about it as it’s not going to over work the brass anymore than most FLS dies.

For you to consider, the SAC modular sizing die for the creedmoors... it's a lifetime investment worth every penny.

more info here

Reactions: XikoPlavi
I just getting back into reloading for my 6 creedmoor, and, sadly, I am at the point of having to buy new consumables. Does anyone have any experience with Vihtavouri N540 with berger 105 match hybrids? I can get 8lbs of viht for a reasonable price, but I have only ever used 4350. It is listed on the viht site as one of the recommended powders, I just wondered if anyone had experience with it.

TIA!
No experience with the N540, but I'm having amazing success with IMR 4451 and 105 Hybrids in both my 6 CM Bolt (AI AT - Proof barrel) and my new JP 6CM upper. My bolt gun also really loves the 109 LR Hybrids with 4451 as well. I find that powder is a great substitute for H4350 and is typically more often available.

Reactions: Rebel Rooster
I've used it with hornady lrp and Lapua srp brass. I didn't have any hangfires in either brass , but my sd was greater then either rl26 or h4350. My sd was in the teens with sta ball, which for me is good enough for plinking ammo.

Reactions: Mjnelson
I've used it with hornady lrp and Lapua srp brass. I didn't have any hangfires in either brass , but my sd was greater then either rl26 or h4350. My sd was in the teens with sta ball, which for me is good enough for plinking ammo.
I had the same high sds with staball and lapua srp brass with berger 105s. I would be fine with the sds with hornady pills, but not those berger gold nuggets.

I also got hangfires with staball 6.5 and peterson SRP brass, but it's been cold lately.

Im gonna run 6creed eventually (meaning in my bolt gun put a threaded barrel on). Right now I’m doing 6.5 creed on that gun and a gas ar10.

So, I’ve been stocking up on 6mm stuff (bullets, brass). Got the SAC Creedmoor dies and Redding comp bushing for the 6.5. (Have not switched to the sac yet).

This thread seems to show that most use SRP brass lapua , even Peterson. I see some using hornady LRP.

I wanted to get Peterson LRP but can’t find in stock yet.

Is it safe to say most shoot SRP for 6creed or is LRP preferred.

I have a good Amy of lapua SRP

I was gonna get some of both (I know most people just stick with one or the other BUTTT I’m trying both and wanted Peterson)?

Is large the better bet (if so why does lapua not make large)?

When I first got my 6 Creed, I used large primer. Then small primer was easily available, I never really saw any performance difference. If you are shooting hot loads, there may be a benefit to small primer because pockets and web area have more material and should be more resistant to expanding. But i have never shot hot enough loads where I think it would make a difference..

Im gonna run 6creed eventually (meaning in my bolt gun put a threaded barrel on). Right now I’m doing 6.5 creed on that gun and a gas ar10.

So, I’ve been stocking up on 6mm stuff (bullets, brass). Got the SAC Creedmoor dies and Redding comp bushing for the 6.5. (Have not switched to the sac yet).

This thread seems to show that most use SRP brass lapua , even Peterson. I see some using hornady LRP.

I wanted to get Peterson LRP but can’t find in stock yet.

Is it safe to say most shoot SRP for 6creed or is LRP preferred.

I have a good Amy of lapua SRP

I was gonna get some of both (I know most people just stick with one or the other BUTTT I’m trying both and wanted Peterson)?

Is large the better bet (if so why does lapua not make large)?

The only advantage to LRP brass is if you don’t have SR primers but have LR primers.

If you already have Lapua 6CM brass then you already have the best brass available.

Reactions: XikoPlavi
Thanks. Yeah have 500 lapua 6mm already. I may not even mess with the LRP then. I am aware of hot loads doing better in SRP for pressure. That’s the same with 6.5. I guess I just don’t get why most people use large for 6.5creed

So far I’ve reloaded my 6.5 with large only but I do have smalls for the 6.5 also

Anyway, thanks

And BTW I can’t find any 4451 powder around but I’ll keep looking

Anyone have a good load with 4350 and 110 A-Tips?

Actually hoping to run them a little slower, between 3000-3050 to see how they do recoil wise.

Anyone have a good load with 4350 and 110 A-Tips?

Actually hoping to run them a little slower, between 3000-3050 to see how they do recoil wise.
ATips and 40.5 H4350 = 3098fps, I did no load development, shot bugholes, I,d dial powder back so my speed is around 3050. This a KRF prefit barrel for a Sake 26" .Its a fast bullet compare to 115 DTACs which Iv usually shoot.
of course start lower work up.

With all the talk about 6CM at Dasher speeds, I thought I would give it a try too.

Rifle: AIAT --> 26" Benchmark
Powder: 39.5gn H4350 --> 2890fps
Primer: CCI 200
Brass: Hornady 6CM --> .001 neck tension
Bullet: 115DTAC non-moly --> .005 jump
SD: 7.6

In all my other rifle loads, I use Berger bullets. Jump testing finds a standout and I'll roll with it so that was the plan with the DTAC. Testing did not seem to go well at first, so I worked my way back to the lands from a 20thou jump. Ended up with a very slight jump at .005 - so I'll roll with that for now. Was really hoping for a long jump. I guess they just like minimal jump in my barrel. Does anyone else have this experience with DTAC?

I will mention that I could watch the bullets print holes on paper, so I'm excited about the possibility of spotting trace in my scope. I've never shot a round where this was possible.

Attachments

• 6CM - 1.jpg
    6CM - 1.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 6CM - 2.jpg
    6CM - 2.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: 30cal user
I
With all the talk about 6CM at Dasher speeds, I thought I would give it a try too.

Rifle: AIAT stock --> 26" Benchmark
Powder: 39.5gn H4350 --> 2890fps
Primer: CCI 200
Brass: Hornady 6CM --> .001 neck tension
Bullet: 115DTAC non-moly --> .005 jump
SD: 7.6

In all my other rifle loads, I use Berger bullets. Jump testing finds a standout and I'll roll with it so that was the plan with the DTAC. Testing did not seem to go well at first, so I worked my way back to the lands from a 20thou jump. Ended up with a very slight jump at .005 - so I'll roll with that for now. Was really hoping for a long jump. I guess they just like minimal jump in my barrel. Does anyone else have this experience with DTAC?

I will mention that I could watch the bullets print holes on paper, so I'm excited about the possibility of spotting trace in my scope. I've never shot a round where this was possible.
I’ve shot Dtacs at 2850-2890 and around 3000fps. I always jumped them from .060-.090 on a fresh barrel and never adjusted for life of barrels. At the lower speed it’s much nicer to shoot and spot trace and impacts. There’s no real performance loss at the lower speed

Reactions: impactaddict
If targets would have printed with a longer jump, I would have rolled with that. Nothing did any good from .02 - .09 so I abandoned it. Maybe prematurely?

I'd advocate trying the longer jump again, worth a try... chances are (and this goes for all of us, all of the time) the groups we see on paper are as much about how good of a day we're having, as much as anything else we're up to... that's why it's probably a good idea to try anything/everything again just to be sure it wasn't a fluke before getting locked into cement.

I've shot thousands of DTAC's (when we could get them 😩) and they worked from .060" off and further back for me, think the last barrel I ran them in liked them with around ~0.080" of jump IIRC. YMMV.

And as I've already been sort of preaching, I still totally dig running the 6CM like a Dasher... accurate and fun, and haven't missed a shot yet that I could blame on the round moving too slow lol.

>-> To follow up on post #594 - between working too much and shitty weather, I just got my current barrel up to 2000rds.

I had a mishap with my original piece of brass and bullet I was using to measure throat erosion (dropped it and it took a good hit off the floor, then nearly couldn't find the sucker, and then ruined the bullet because I forgot to chamfer the case when resetting it). So no data for rounds 1800-1900 as I'd planned.

Cleaned the barrel/chamber at 1900rds, measured distance to the lands with a new brass/bullet combo using the Deep Creek Method, and got 2.248" BTO (BTO measured using the Hornady comparator with 243 insert).

Shot another 100rds, rounds 1901-2000.

Cleaned the barrel/chamber again, measured distance to the lands with the same brass/bullet combo as at 1900rds (using the Deep Creek Method and Hornady comparator again), and got 2.249" BTO (maybe 2.2495", or add another .0005" to be more conservative, say 2.250" ).

So, seems crazy, but by never running this barrel faster than 2900fps, never loading closer than .100" off the lands, I'm only seeing ~.001" - .002" of throat erosion per 100rds... and I'm still hitting 1/2moa plates at 1000 yards and don't seem to be having any more hardship than usual hitting anything else out to 1250.

I haven't shot any honest to goodness 100 yard groups, or groups on paper, period, in forever... I plan on doing some of that in the near future and checking up on how the barrel is printing/performing in that respect soon.

Quick up date on the 6 creedmoor I’ve been rpunning for last 6 months. Out of projectiles so I’m going back to my 25gt. Pulled the barrel last night after measuring erosion and giving it its first patch since 100 rounds. as I posted earlier the erosion has been super consistent at .015 per 250 rounds.

total shots now 1251. erosion over the last 250 rounds more than doubled to .035. The last 150 were Berger 105 boat tail at 3110 jumping .005 at the beginning of this set and ending at a jump of .040, 250 rounds later.

Had a couple of longer (900 yard) shots fall .2 mil short. Didn’t get the chance to chrony or group it as I didn’t have any more loaded. But I think it was going south. I missed some small targets that I normally would have hit but who knows but I could have been me. I still have the barrel I might throw it back on later this year and check it out.

Reactions: Snaz