• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

I was out breaking my barrel in and decided to see how my 6GT handled 500 yards with a 12-15 mph crosswind. My vertical spread was about 1/2" and my horizontal was about 2-1/2" or less. I was running 105gr hornady bthp at 2853fps. I am working up a load with 108gr ELDM's H4350 and Hornady brass that will do even better. I will post my load workup once I have dialed it in.
View attachment 7746397
You'll likely find best accuracy 2900-2920 or just up on the top side of 3k. That 3k velocity node may be warm/hot in your rifle with Hdy brass.

Reactions: JBarton
You'll likely find best accuracy 2900-2920 or just up on the top side of 3k. That 3k velocity node may be warm/hot in your rifle with Hdy brass.
I saw a light ejector swipe at 38.6gr H4350 but no flattened primers or heavybolt lift. I hit 3042fps at the top end and if I wasn't paying attention I wouldn't have noticed the light plunger mark. I couldn't feel it but it was there.
Looking at my velocities 36.3gr to 37.3gr is where I'm going to work on. Average speed is closer to 2940fps. I'm going to the range now and willpost my results.

When I used h4350 36.0 got me right around 2850. Alot of my buddies had that be their same load too.
I'm running 36.0gr h4350 behind 105gr bthp at 2853fps for break in. It shot great. I might drop down pending tonight's results.
I'm having fun with this one.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
I saw a light ejector swipe at 38.6gr H4350 but no flattened primers or heavybolt lift. I hit 3042fps at the top end and if I wasn't paying attention I wouldn't have noticed the light plunger mark. I couldn't feel it but it was there.
Looking at my velocities 36.3gr to 37.3gr is where I'm going to work on. Average speed is closer to 2940fps. I'm going to the range now and willpost my results.
I run 36.6gr H4350 in my 28" bartlein with 109s at 2920 -40k shoots pretty dang good there. 3 other local gt shooters are at same speed. My last barrel was 108s at 2940 with rl16.

I run 36.6gr H4350 in my 28" bartlein with 109s at 2920 -40k shoots pretty dang good there. 3 other local gt shooters are at same speed. My last barrel was 108s at 2940 with rl16.
What was your round count when you pulled your barrel and the accuracy it still held at distance?

Last night's range trip was not as good as I was hoping. I was off and not able to shoot a decent group to save my life. It was not a waste, I did collect some good data on both my 6GT and my new 30 Sherman Magnum. It wasn't a bust overall.
20211123_174801.jpg20201117_194031.jpg
I think I'm going to slow my load some. I had decent ES and SD numbers at the lower charge weights. I don't have my notes but they were in the single digits and grew as the charge increased. I started at 36.3gr and was shooting 5 round groups. 36.3 and 36.5 shot the best. I'm going to test 36.0, 36.1, 36.2 and 36.3gr.
My barrel is definitely speeding up still so I might hold off and keep shooting my 105gr bthp load. I just hit 120 rounds. I will hopefully get some more range time over the holiday weekend and dial in my load.

How many rounds do most of you put through a new barrel before you dial in the load? Should I just continue dialing in the load using the 108gr ELDM'S?

Reactions: Dooby and Daverx7
What was your round count when you pulled your barrel and the accuracy it still held at distance?
That 236 bore Krieger was the best shooting barrel I'd ever ran until 800 rounds, and I started having pressure issues. I used iosso, kroil, jb, chameleon, boretech you name it, still had problems. I learned a lesson, don't run tight bore match barrels on prs rigs. The thing still shot well in the mid 2800s but I might as well be shooting 6br in that case. I then had a 237 bore bartlein mod400 spun and have been very happy with it.

Last edited:
Ive been sick as hell this week and decided to get out and work on my 6GT and 30 Sherman Magnum loads. I seems like the 108gr eldm like around 0 050" of jump. Just did a range trip working on powder charges and seating depth test. Not my best day for accuracy but it still shows me where I need to be.
MPA PMR Pro 26" 7twist barrel
Strike Eagle 5-25 x 56
atlas cal bipod wiebad mini fortune cookie bag..
off barrel mounted v3 magnetospeed
0x Gap/Hornady brass
108gr Eldm
CCI400 SRP
36.1 to 36.4gr of H4350
Overall results seen in picture.
20211201_180106.jpg

I shot the 36.1gr loads without a magnetospeed a couple days ago. I was shooting a little better. Still shows 0.055" jump to be ideal. See second picture.
20211129_171812.jpg

I'm leaning towards the following load.
36.3gr H4350
108gr Eldm
Hornady brass
Cci400 srp
0.055" jump 1.935" cbto
Coal: 2.495"
Average speed: 2891fps

Last edited:
Reactions: Daverx7
I might reshoot the .025 again as well as .022 and .028 to see if they shoot better.

I've been through a couple hundred 108gr ELDs and 112gr MB, and can't seem to get my GT to reliably stay much under 0.6-0.7". That's a little disappointing since my 6.5 RPR put down several sub 0.4" groups when it was new, before I stopped load development and started the real shooting, and my CTR was similar... Oh well I think it's time to take the better performers, pump them out in volume and get to the fun part of shooting.

I've been through a couple hundred 108gr ELDs and 112gr MB, and can't seem to get my GT to reliably stay much under 0.6-0.7". That's a little disappointing since my 6.5 RPR put down several sub 0.4" groups when it was new, before I stopped load development and started the real shooting, and my CTR was similar... Oh well I think it's time to take the better performers, pump them out in volume and get to the fun part of shooting.

Specs on the rifle build?

Specs on the rifle build?
Origin Action
MDT XRS chassis
TT Diamond
PVA Rock Creek button shouldered prefit 23"
Vortex Razor AMG in M10 rings

Certainly not suggesting it's a chamber related issue, and I probably should have gone more main line on the barrel, but the PVA was basically the only 6GT shouldered prefit I could get in a fairly short timeframe. Mostly tired of driving an hour and a half each way to the long range to load develop at 200-300 yds with the 1,200 yd range right next to me empty and calling lol. Figure I'll take a load it likes ok like 34.5gr Varget under 112gr 110 thou off and run it on out, if it is good enough for my casual purposes then I'll stick with that, if not, maybe it's new barrel time.

I've made it through a few sessions of finding the velocity nodes (Chrono issues) with the 108g ELD-M's, StaBALL, CCI41's, and Hornady brass. My next outing will be doing the seating depth tests and then repeat with the tuner brake.

I too am starting to wear out of my 60-75 min drive for my development. haha I sure wish I had something closer that had RSO to keep people from barrel sweeping me. EEECK!

I'll report back if I'm able to get consistent good groups with this combo.

Could
I've made it through a few sessions of finding the velocity nodes (Chrono issues) with the 108g ELD-M's, StaBALL, CCI41's, and Hornady brass. My next outing will be doing the seating depth tests and then repeat with the tuner brake.

I too am starting to wear out of my 60-75 min drive for my development. haha I sure wish I had something closer that had RSO to keep people from barrel sweeping me. EEECK!

I'll report back if I'm able to get consistent good groups with this combo.
could just be the bullets. Berger 105 hybrids, 109 hybrids and Hornady 110 A-Tips all shot one hole groups for me.

My barrel should be fully up to speed, and now that I'm done just looking at velocities (with peeking at some groups from time to time), I'm hoping I can focus on seeing how the ELD-M's can consistently group.

Here are a couple of examples that it can group decently with the ELD-M 108's, so I'm excited to see what it can do. If it can't do it, I'll move on to the SMK 107's and use these ELD-M's for my 6ARC. haha

1639241632088.png
1639241740525.png

My barrel should be fully up to speed, and now that I'm done just looking at velocities (with peeking at some groups from time to time), I'm hoping I can focus on seeing how the ELD-M's can consistently group.

Here are a couple of examples that it can group decently with the ELD-M 108's, so I'm excited to see what it can do. If it can't do it, I'll move on to the SMK 107's and use these ELD-M's for my 6ARC. haha

View attachment 7758684 View attachment 7758686

Looks like you're good to go, can you give the details on your rig?

Looks like you're good to go, can you give the details on your rig?
I never know if I just got lucky with the groups. haha But, it shot some Copper Creek ammo with the ELD-M's very well (see embedded image below), and it was with a brand-new barrel. In fact, I haven't been able to get my loads to match theirs, so there is hope I can squeeze it in some.

My rig is my first humble build:
  • Savage 12 FV (pulled a never shot 6.5 CM barrel off)
  • Savage Pre-fit Criterion Barrel - Stainless Steel, 1:7.5 Twist, MTU Contour, 26"
  • EC Tuner Brake (Stainless Steel 6.5 version) - Have not used the tuning part yet, but IMO a great brake
  • 20 MOA Rail
  • Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR-1x (Gen 1)
  • MDT XRS Chassis with added weight and forend accessories

1639243315681.png

This is the 5-shot group I got with the Copper Creek ELD-M 108's - with it being just the 14th-18th shot through the barrel... So, it is showing great potential.
1639243457798.png

You are correct. I have found the best accuracy around 2900-2920fps. Just verified my alpha ocd brass load today.
MPA 26" 7 twist barrel
1x Alpha OCD Brass
Cci400 srp
36.3gr H4350
108gr ELDM
CBTO 1.940" with 0.050" jump.
Average speeds around 2920fps so far.
Speeds are about 10 to 15fps slower than virgin brass loaded with the same amount of powder. I've only ran a handful of 1x brass and am liking the results. Both virgin and fired brass shoot fantastic.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-12-19 14:57:39.760401.jpg

Reactions: RS14
Alpha Brass, 450s, Berger 109, 36.7gr H4350 right at 2940. Shoots .2-.3's. Bartlien 7.5 twist barrel @ 26".

That is with virgin brass.

Now to see how it shoots with annealed, neck bushing sized, mandreled and Henderson trimmed. I think it may even shoot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS14 and JBarton
I will be wrapping up my ELD-M/StaBALL (my quick throw) load today, and will move on to my accuracy/extreme low SD/ES load development.

Just due to availability, I will be using SMK 107's for this, but I'm going back and forth between H4350 and Varget. From what I've seen in this thread, both powders can produce very accurate results.

Is there a reason to use one over the other?

I will be wrapping up my ELD-M/StaBALL (my quick throw) load today, and will move on to my accuracy/extreme low SD/ES load development.

Just due to availability, I will be using SMK 107's for this, but I'm going back and forth between H4350 and Varget. From what I've seen in this thread, both powders can produce very accurate results.

Is there a reason to use one over the other?
H4350 needs more powder to achieve the same results, granted we are talking 3-4 grains but still it's there.

Reactions: Daverx7
some RL15.5 data 6gt 109 hybrid, 26in barrel. magneto was attached.

Attachments

• RL15.5.jpg
    RL15.5.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 122
  • RL 15.5 (2).jpg
    RL 15.5 (2).jpg
    229 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Gtscotty
Chambers / throat /lead ? Would all of you all guess to say that all of your GT chambers were all cut with reamers made from the same spec. sheet ? With the amount of lead time involved when ordering a new barrel, I'm planning to order one soon. If all the reamers are the same there won't be any hunting.
What I'm after is being able to load H 108 ELD M's so they touch the rifling's and have the gas ring / base of a full Cal. bullet at the neck/body junction.
I've asked a few sellers of prefit barrels ,and am waiting to hear back.

Chambers / throat /lead ? Would all of you all guess to say that all of your GT chambers were all cut with reamers made from the same spec. sheet ? With the amount of lead time involved when ordering a new barrel, I'm planning to order one soon. If all the reamers are the same there won't be any hunting.
What I'm after is being able to load H 108 ELD M's so they touch the rifling's and have the gas ring / base of a full Cal. bullet at the neck/body junction.
I bought mine through MPA. I'm going to be buying another barrel from them. Probably going to ask them to use the same reamer if possible. Damn thing just shoots. The weak spot in the system is me.

I recently wanted to see if I was wasting my time neck turning my brass. I ran 108gr eldm, alpha ocd brass, cci400 primers and 36.3gr H4350. CBTO 1.940 with 0.050" jump. I loaded 25 with neck turned brass and 25 with brass not neck turned. Needless to say I am now neck turning the last of my brass.
Neck turned brass had on average better ES by 5, better SD by 2 and shot better between 1/16-1/8 moa at 100 yards. Managed my best group yet while doing this test. Neck turned brass.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-12-24 15:26:48.671778.png

My Reamer is a JGS.

My COAL when touching the lands with Hornady ELD-M 108gn is 2.550".

That puts the shank of the bullet .246 (85%) into the neck according to GRT.

My experience with the ELD-M's is that the Ogive is quite a bit forward compared to the Bergers so the OAL's are on average about .040" shorter.

Lapua ScenarL 105gn are even shorter. They are 2.530" when touching the lands which seats them .250" (87%) into the neck.

PTG reamer .120 freebore. I made a bunch of dummies to see where they sat and the 108 eldms were almost at neck shoulder junction at .030 jump, sit deep in case. I had more room with 105s and 108 BT targets. I am going to stick with 108 BT targets.

Just picked up my GAP PPR today.

Ive been able to get some 108 ELDm, have Hornady brass and plenty of primers. But powder I’m hurting on. I only have a pound each of varget and RL16 and not sure when I’ll be able to find more. So in looking at other possibilities, a local shop has a couple bottles of StaBall I could get and they have a ton of Superformance.

I havent seen anyone really talk about Superformance, though it is on the Hodgdon reload data. I’d like to start with something I can have plenty of so I can find something that works and just shoot awhile without worrying if I’ll be able to find more of the same powder.

Anyone using Superformance? Should I grab a couple pounds of StaBall or just break in the gun with the RL16 or Varget and then use the other for a load and hope I can get more before long?

Any advice appreciated.

Ive been able to get some 108 ELDm, have Hornady brass and plenty of primers. But powder I’m hurting on. I only have a pound each of varget and RL16 and not sure when I’ll be able to find more. So in looking at other possibilities, a local shop has a couple bottles of StaBall I could get and they have a ton of Superformance.

I havent seen anyone really talk about Superformance, though it is on the Hodgdon reload data. I’d like to start with something I can have plenty of so I can find something that works and just shoot awhile without worrying if I’ll be able to find more of the same powder.

Anyone using Superformance? Should I grab a couple pounds of StaBall or just break in the gun with the RL16 or Varget and then use the other for a load and hope I can get more before long?

Any advice appreciated.
I'm running superformance in my 6.5cm to save my H4350 for my 6GT. Superformance did okay but I struggled to get my extreme spreads where I like so . As far as staball, it's supposed to work well. I picked up a lb to try but haven't yet.

Superformance working well in 6.5?

I didn’t mention above, I do have a few pounds of H4350, but use that for 6.5 so didn’t really want to use it. But I guess if Superformance works better in 6.5, I could buy that and change that load and use the H4350 for the GT.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty much all of the 6.5 powders work well, you just need 3-4 more grains to equal the speeds of using something like varget or n150.

Superformance working well in 6.5?

I didn’t mention above, I do have a few pounds of H4350, but use that for 6.5 so didn’t really want to use it. But I guess if Superformance works better in 6.5, I could buy that and change that load and use the H4350 for the GT.

Thanks for the feedback.
I was running 140gr hornady match bthp, hornady brass, 210m primers and 44.9gr superformance. Shooting around 1/2 moa with a Bergara HMR B14 Wilderness.
Avg: 2770fps
ES:15
SD: 7

Reactions: camocorvette

Any advice appreciated.
Congratulations, I have had mine for one year next month. I used Varget 42.3 that I liked but ran out. So, I switched to StayBall 6.5 that is recommended by Gardner. I load. 38.5 with either 105 Bergers. They told me that the same load will work for their 109, but work up the load.

Any advice appreciated.
Can you find IMR 4166 or 4451, SW Precision, SW 4350 or Long rifle?

I’m on the lookout for all those powders, but right now online there is nothing out there unless you get lucky.

The local shop (still 40 min away) only has those I mentioned and IMR4895. They have other random stuff and pistol powder, but those are the only rifle ones that might work.

I may just grab a couple lbs of the StaBall, that will at least get me going for a few hundred rounds and I can keep an eye out for other powders to come along.

Has anybody tried Alliant Reloder 17? Its right next to H4350 on my burn rate chart.

I happen to have 8 lbs of the stuff, but can't find data on it for the 6GT anywhere.

Reactions: Jlcichocki
Has anybody tried Alliant Reloder 17? Its right next to H4350 on my burn rate chart.

I happen to have 8 lbs of the stuff, but can't find data on it for the 6GT anywhere.
I dont have any first hand experience using reloader 17. But here is some data using Gordons Loader tool. Hope it helps. And obviously start low and work your way up.

Attachments

• 6gt.JPG
    6gt.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 66
Thanks . I just ordered an upgrade for my old Windows 7 version of Quick-Load and will check this out when it arrives (30 days). I think RL17 is kind of a long shot idea, but I'm going to check it out since my stock of Varget is gone and H4350 likely to be gone around mid-summer.

I am just about out of 105 hybrids and can’t find any. I can get regular Berger 105 target. Has anyone had success transitioning these?

I run the Berger 108 BT Target. Easy to tune and very good bullet. I would assume the 105s would be the same. Tangent ogive like Sierra match kings.

Reactions: ma smith