• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

For anyone with n140, I tried Barnes 112 match burners fr 31.5 to 33 in .5 increments. I got slight heavy bolt lift at 33.0. the 32.0 load was very stable and shooting very well at 600. Muzzle velocity was around 2850 according to the kestrel custom curve profile at 600 yards.

For anyone with n140, I tried Barnes 112 match burners fr 31.5 to 33 in .5 increments. I got slight heavy bolt lift at 33.0. the 32.0 load was very stable and shooting very well at 600. Muzzle velocity was around 2850 according to the kestrel custom curve profile at 600 yards.

I am running N150. Just did testing this weekend with 105 hybrids and it looks like 33.7 is going to be a winner at 2990.

Got my Alpha OCD brass from GAP. Loaded and shoot 100 rounds. Shot great. Except; Having a major issue with my brass ejecting due to a weak extraction. I have a GAP Gladius which is a defiance tenacity. If I use Hornady brass, there is no issue with it extracting and ejecting. Tried Virgin and fired brass, same issue.

The one thing I noticed is that the top of the case head where the extractor lip grabs the case is smaller/less on the alpha brass. I think it’s not enough surface to grab the brass.
Noticed a big difference on the Hornady case, much more surface for the extractor to grab.

Anyone else seen this issue??

Assuming GAP PPR, I have
Got my Alpha OCD brass from GAP. Loaded and shoot 100 rounds. Shot great. Except; Having a major issue with my brass ejecting due to a weak extraction. I have a GAP Gladius which is a defiance tenacity. If I use Hornady brass, there is no issue with it extracting and ejecting. Tried Virgin and fired brass, same issue.

The one thing I noticed is that the top of the case head where the extractor lip grabs the case is smaller/less on the alpha brass. I think it’s not enough surface to grab the brass.
Noticed a big difference on the Hornady case, much more surface for the extractor to grab.

Anyone else seen this issue??
I'm assuming GAP PPR, I'll check mine tonight. I don't have any loaded alpha rounds but I have some virgin/empty cases.

Mine works fine, granted I'm having to guide it in there to close the bolt on it since it doesn't have a bullet seated, but it wants to eject it across the room.

Just an FYI, Midsouth has 6 GT brass with a "GAP 6MMGT" head stamp. A Midsouth Tech said it looks ex actually like the bulk Hornady 6GT brass they got in the past.

Just an FYI, Midsouth has 6 GT brass with a "GAP 6MMGT" head stamp. A Midsouth Tech said it looks ex actually like the bulk Hornady 6GT brass they got in the past.
Gap has the same and also the Gay Tiger brass OCD. I got 300 of the alpha delivered today. Looks just like the Alpha OCD I got a few months ago. Other than the 🌈🐅 head stamp.

Reactions: khuber84
This is bound to be a fun relationship, first three shots fired through this barrel.
20210823_172330.jpg
20210823_172619.jpg

In my past experience the first round down a brand new bore will be a inch or two away from those that follow, I was pleasantly surprised that didn't happen here.

I was just out to get some velocity baseline's and see how it compares to my past two GT barrels. I had this Bartlein 400MODBB cut to 24 inches rather than my 26 inch norm. I plan to run a suppressor next season. Surprisingly, velocity seems to be maybe 10fps off what my 26" trends. Looks like 32.6 grains of varget works well with 109's and that's my match load currently for my other rifle, so I'll probably run that for a while to give it some time to settle in and then take it out to distance after I have a few more rounds down the barrel.

20210823_193818.jpg
20210823_192801.jpg
20210823_184027.jpg

Last edited:
I was able to get out today and test some of the imr powders in the 6gt today. 4166 shows a lot of promise. had some great numbers at little lower velocity than my varget load. These were only 4 rounds per powder charge just to find the good stuff. 4451 was good, definitely would work but has higher sd/es. 26in shilen barrel chambered by spinners fit and chamber. Defiance action. 700 down the tube. for reference my varget load is 33.8 with a 105 hybrid at 2960 fps. SD 4 ES 10 checked over about 10 rds multiple times. Getting low on the 105s and have enough varget to finish them off. Im sure numbers will go up with a larger sample but also glad to find a substitute to varget. 2nd firing on hornady brass weight sorted. jump is around .090. die was set for the 105s which jump about .070. tested higher charges but numbers went up. these were best numbers.

109 hybrid
33.4 IMR 4166
AVG. 2890
SD 2
ES 4

109 hybrid
35.9 IMR4451
AVG. 2848
SD 5
ES 13

Reactions: MDof2
Just finished Wife's new 6GT. Big Horn Origin, Manners PRS with mini chassis, ZCO scope, Atlas bipod, barrel done by Anthony Ward of Crown Ridge Barrel Works, X-caliber 7.5 twist finished at 27", brass is Alpha OCD, BR4 primers, 105 Hybrids sitting at .065 off lands. 32.5 grains of N150, .002 neck tension running 3001 fps.

20210902_175256.jpg
20210901_104857.jpg
20210806_142821.jpg

Ok. She is a shooter! Curtis Vector, Benchmark VCC contour 7.5 @26”, by Straitjacket . XLR Comp chassis.
Sub .5 MOA, got 3rd at last regional match

105 hybrid
.065 off
37.8 H4350
3025 FPS Going to find the next lower node before next match.
500 through barrel

Alpha OCD (fired .002 bump)
Annealed on DIY induction annealer every time
Hornady dies
K&M mandrel
Trimmed to 1.719~1.7195
Dburr & Chamfer

this thing is easily the best shooter I’ve had.

As it turns out, you're correct, I was wrong. I'm behind the times and I apologize for the now archaic correction to your methods.

Thanks to @reubenski for the article link. Looking for nodes isn't exactly wrong, but its not right either. And looking for flat spots in velocity certainly isn't what I thought it was. So I'm an old dog meeting yet another new trick 🤣
I must have missed it reading through, but what article link? Also, is the idea behind using Kroil that it penetrates under fouling and loosens it up? I've used it for stuck bolts and the like, but never barrel cleaning.

I have my first GT barrel on the way, planning on using StaBall with 112s and 108s, but since I managed to snag a keg of Ar-Comp for my Grendel the other day, I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with that powder in the GT. Probably a little fast to be ideal, but maybe still in the workable range.

Anyone have load data for Reloder 15.5 and Berger 109's (CCI 450, alpha brass)?

Also if I recall correctly George also recommended for the bullet to be 105’s . I don’t know why people try to go heavier , if it was the caliber was done to spit the 105’s.
That’s easy. 105s are tough to find, and being the innovative bunch that we are, we push the limits and try different variables. Unorthodox to some, but great things have been shown to come from taking the oath less traveled

Loaded up some more of this on Saturday. Just a load picked, not worked up.

Sierra 107 SMK
Hornady GAP New Brass
34.5 grains H4350
CCI 400 Primers (old 1980 or so)
COL 2.530

Cold bore group of 5 after cleaning and storage @ 200 yards.

20210913_175907.jpg

I got a Labrador but have yet to break it out of the box... case is no where near full, 38.1 is max... so just under 3000 I'd assume.

They shoot like lasers now... :)

How fast could you push them?

Last edited:
I must have missed it reading through, but what article link? Also, is the idea behind using Kroil that it penetrates under fouling and loosens it up? I've used it for stuck bolts and the like, but never barrel cleaning.

I have my first GT barrel on the way, planning on using StaBall with 112s and 108s, but since I managed to snag a keg of Ar-Comp for my Grendel the other day, I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with that powder in the GT. Probably a little fast to be ideal, but maybe still in the workable range.
Sorry, that link was sent to me in a PM. I just went to look for it and can't find it. It was a long running 12+ page article here on the Hide discussing chronograph velocity ladders. They work, and they don't is the Cliff's Notes. In a nutshell, velocity ladder flat spots rarely repeatable on multiple strings. And nearly any velocity can achieve single digit SDs with proper reloading practices.

I've sent a ton of rounds over a chronograph since being made aware of this information. I've found its mostly true. With my 6GT I've found about 8 out of 10 loads in .2 increments can stay in single digits. And some are lower than others. So I put this new method to work and a brand new 22BR barrel and first determined my max load, then tested 1 to 2grs lower in .2 increments, and ended up with a load shooting faster than my prior loads, and running <5fps SD. It was pretty easy, and it didn't take any more rounds downrange.

The Kroil works great on barrels. I was already using Kroil followed by Hoppes. The Kroil soaks into the carbon and it knocks out fast. Its the bomb at scrubbing out a carbon ring. Im going to give Kroil and JP bore paste a try for the life of my 22BR barrel and see how it does.

This is the break-in load I have been running on a new barrel. No load development other than quick jump test between 0.040" and 0.007". Data collected at 120 rounds on 26" Benchmark VCC.

Berger 105 gr Hybrid
33.0 gr Varget
CCI 450
GAP Hornady Brass (virgin with minimal prep)
+/-0.060" jump (1.914" CTBO)
26" Benchmark VCC, 1:7.5" twist
Average MV: 2,875 FPS
ES: 16
SD: 6
5 shot group sizes are 0.4"-0.6" at 100 yards.
Temperature: 80
Humidity: 25%
Pressure: 27

Reactions: Dooby and RS14
28" bartlein 7.5tw mod400 M24
ARC nuke gen2
MPA matrix
36.5gr H4350, 109s @ 40k off lands
Shoots tiny groups at 100y and stays under 2" @ 400y on 10 shot strings. This load runs 2910 in hot weather and 2880 in the 40s. Fall is upon us here in Montana and I'll likely load 36.7gr remainder of our prs season up here to keep me at 2910 area as it shoots smallest there. This is from my last session at 45°. I have also shot this same load 5k and 10k further from lands with no POI shift and half moa groups at distance.

20210908_113737.jpg

reaching out again to see if anyone has reloder 15.5 data?

28" bartlein 7.5tw mod400 M24
ARC nuke gen2
MPA matrix
36.5gr H4350, 109s @ 40k off lands
Shoots tiny groups at 100y and stays under 2" @ 400y on 10 shot strings. This load runs 2910 in hot weather and 2880 in the 40s. Fall is upon us here in Montana and I'll likely load 36.7gr remainder of our prs season up here to keep me at 2910 area as it shoots smallest there. This is from my last session at 45°. I have also shot this same load 5k and 10k further from lands with no POI shift and half moa groups at distance.

View attachment 7704081
That’s some good testing.

I have a hart 7” twist blank and am contemplating getting it chambered in 6GT instead of 6CM that I’m currently running.

I noticed most folks are running slightly slower twist barrels for the GT. Is there any reason why a 7” twist work well for the 6GT?

I have a hart 7” twist blank and am contemplating getting it chambered in 6GT instead of 6CM that I’m currently running.

I noticed most folks are running slightly slower twist barrels for the GT. Is there any reason why a 7” twist work well for the 6GT?
Depends on what bullets you want to run. If you’re loading 112s and 115s, you shouldn’t have any problems.

If you have any qualms, run some data on the Berger Twist Rate Calculator.

Reactions: Hutch_WV
@Birddog6424
I've used Kano Kroil mixed with Shooters Choice MC#1 along with Kroil/JB to clean barrels since the mid-1990-2015 or so. Since then I've only used Bore Tech's products and their Chameleon Gel. Which is something like the JB Bore Paste products and works just as well IMO.

The strong smell of the Shooters Choice was a real turnoff, but back then it was that or CR10, and/or Sweets. Used both at one time of another, CR10 a lot, both were best with ventilation and/or outside.

The Kroil/JB will make quick work of the powder residue buildup, but I can say the same thing for the Chameleon Gel too. Nice to know people still find them useful.

I was at the Big Sky Brawl too and the guys from Applied Ballistics were great at truing my App past 700-800 yards. Their data for 22 LR is 2nd to none IMO, it's great having them offer their expertise to the shooting industry..... and for Free, they deserve a huge shout out for what the do!

Thanks Applied Ballistics and their mobile lab team!

Best wishes to you too BirdDog!

Reactions: Birddog6424
@Birddog6424
I've used Kano Kroil mixed with Shooters Choice MC#1 along with Kroil/JB to clean barrels since the mid-1990-2015 or so. Since then I've only used Bore Tech's products and their Chameleon Gel. Which is something like the JB Bore Paste products and works just as well IMO.

The strong smell of the Shooters Choice was a real turnoff, but back then it was that or CR10, and/or Sweets. Used both at one time of another, CR10 a lot, both were best with ventilation and/or outside.

The Kroil/JB will make quick work of the powder residue buildup, but I can say the same thing for the Chameleon Gel too. Nice to know people still find them useful.

I was at the Big Sky Brawl too and the guys from Applied Ballistics were great at truing my App past 700-800 yards. Their data for 22 LR is 2nd to none IMO, it's great having them offer their expertise to the shooting industry..... and for Free, they deserve a huge shout out for what the do!

Thanks Applied Ballistics and their mobile lab team!

Best wishes to you too BirdDog!
Great feedback. There's no replacement for experience.

There's been such a trend away from cleaning regimens and abrasive products. Its funny to see guys like the AB team, who study the hell out of everything before they chime in, go back to the roots of something like JB paste. Most folks think that stuff is the devil.

I'm going to try it on my current 22BR barrel and the new 6GT barrel I'm spinning on this fall.

My GT is a 7 twist no issues shoot great

Reactions: BigB1

There's been such a trend away from cleaning regimens and abrasive products. Its funny to see guys like the AB team, who study the hell out of everything before they chime in, go back to the roots of something like JB paste. Most folks think that stuff is the devil.

I'm going to try it on my current 22BR barrel and the new 6GT barrel I'm spinning on this fall.
I usually clean every 200-230 rounds in my gt running H4350. If I go more speeds start creeping up due to fouling, once my speeds go above 2930 the groups open up considerably from where it shoots in the 2900-2920 area. I usually use bore tech products to clean all the fouling, then use a patch of iosso to polish the throat for 6-8 strokes then the barrel gets 2 full passes. Then flush and patch out any remaining iosso. It usually takes 10-15 rounds to get back the 2900-2910 speed where my hand loads run after doing this.

I'm running a 7.5 Proof that absolutely hammers berger 105's, 109s and Barnes 112's. you'll have no issues with a 7 twist for any of those as well.

I'm running a 7.5 Proof that absolutely hammers berger 105's, 109s and Barnes 112's. you'll have no issues with a 7 twist for any of those as well.
I’ve been playing with the 112s, but haven’t had great success yet. I always seem to have a flyer. What speed/jump are you running them at?

20+ years ago I used to think the Std. JB to would slightly lap factory barrels hoping they'd shoot better!?! I went thru a few of those tubs way back then and the Bore Bright to finish lapping the barrel..... Not sure what the grit level is on either of those tubs, but it looked alot like lapping compound to me back then. I still have them both in my cleaning kit, I do know BR guys used them to clean the throats of their rifles. I thought if those guys swear by it why not try it so I did.

I had a 280 Rem. Kimber of Oregon that you could see tooling marks in the grooves of the barrel! Nothing would have helped that bbl. It shot well with the bullets jammed on a mild load, turned it into a 7x57 mauser it was loaded down so much. It was a beautiful rifle, I sold it for a lot of money in 2004. Got caught up in 30-06 custom rifle that wouldn't shoot, traded it for a Kimber 300 WSM Montana that would the next year..... Only to turn that into a 6.5/300 WSM that I've hunted with for the last ten years now.

I just pick up my GAP/Impact 308 that I have a 6 GT barrel for, which I'll one day spin on and get down to business. Until then I'm still using a SAC 260 I bought used last year..... It still hammers if I do my part. That said I'm getting old and everything is going to hell in a handbasket. So I'll more than likely be doing more RO'ing than matches in the years ahead.

Cheers, and keep the steel ringing!

Reactions: Birddog6424
I’ve been playing with the 112s, but haven’t had great success yet. I always seem to have a flyer. What speed/jump are you running them at?
I had to jump mine 65 thou to get them to start grouping. I believe I was in the low 2900s with h4350.

I haven't run the 112's in the GT specifically. (yet....)
I was posting in reference to the twist rate question.

Where I have run the MB 112's (6mmRem, 243 Win, 6CM) they did like a fair bit of jump if I recall (not at the bench at the moment so can't look up the exact info) and I was 99.98% running them on the higher end of the velocity window.

If I recall, one of the very first 6GT threads started by the SoCal guys included the Matchburners.

They seemed to have good luck with them.

As I posted a couple pages back after seeing how well the 175gr performed on Doppler from my buddies 308, I'm surprised more people aren't running them.

I just bought a bunch of 140gr MBs to run in my 6.5 gasser. So far they are shaping up to be a very good round.

Need some advice on some rapid load development for a class I have coming up in two weeks. I've got two hours at the range this weekend to test out, and have the following:

105 Nosler RDF
Varget
H3450
Alpha OCD

Any thoughts for some charges I can run with those powders in a quick test?

Need some advice on some rapid load development for a class I have coming up in two weeks. I've got two hours at the range this weekend to test out, and have the following:

105 Nosler RDF
Varget
H3450
Alpha OCD

I’d start by throwing the RDFs in the trash.

I ran them in a 6 Creed and they just plain suck.

Groups all over the map with no rhyme or reason to anything, and I know I’m not the only one that’s experienced it.

Reactions: Mxridr
anyone know what the max chamber pressure is for 6gt?
Bout half grain below ejector marks lol I'm just messing, I'll look in GRT when I get home if someone hasn't posted.
Edit-
Gordon's Reloading Tool has max psi at 63,091psi.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddie102870

105 Nosler RDF
Varget
H3450
Alpha OCD

34.0 of varget, 36.0 of h4350. Those are my go-to loads that also showed good results with my buddy's 6gt.