• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

GAP has Alpha in stock as well....

At least they did when I ordered yesterday.

Reactions: Hutch_WV
Usually 200~ish. More for a train up. I took 250 to Peterson last month. But I just checked zero and confirmed DOPE right at close on Friday before match.
Ok 250 ish to be safe . Thank GOD I just ordered 200 more , that makes 600 alpha brass for me and my son . 300 each . Plus Another 250 from hornady ,that we have as spare ,in case we ever need them .

Ok 250 ish to be safe . Thank GOD I just ordered 200 more , that makes 600 alpha brass for me and my son . 300 each . Plus Another 250 from hornady ,that we have as spare ,in case we ever need them .
I’m sure you know the load may be a bit different between the brands. So if you use the Hornady on Friday train ups, you may have different dope on Saturday and Sunday. Just keep that in mind. Aim small and miss small! Have fun. I’m guessing it’s your first 2-day.

Anyone running IMR4166? I have 16lbs and am about to spin a barrel up. I was going to go with BRA but now I’m leaning towards the GT with the DTACs I have.

Is 4166 truly that close to Varget in charge weight?

Anyone running IMR4166? I have 16lbs and am about to spin a barrel up. I was going to go with BRA but now I’m leaning towards the GT with the DTACs I have.

If you do run the 4166 ,please post your results ,would like to see them . Me on the other hand just got my 6gt barrel installed yesterday . So about to start a load ,with varget , then with h5350

If you do run the 4166 ,please post your results ,would like to see them . Me on the other hand just got my 6gt barrel installed yesterday . So about to start a load ,with varget , then with h5350
I’m on same route. I have a few lbs of varget and h4350 but am always interested in new powders.

Dude in the 6GT FB group ran some 4166 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/780746612323086/permalink/1339804299750645) and got some reasonable results. 3059 avg fps / 3.6SD and printed pretty nice on paper.

Spinning up a 6GT next week myself so watching these with interest as I, like others, have a limited supply of Varget.

I'm not running 4166.

But, according to the Hodgdon website, starting charge weight for 4166 is 29.5 grains

Starting weight for Varget is 30.6 grains

They both show a max charge weight of 34 grains.

This info is for a 107g bullet.

Reactions: poke_53
In my BR with 105s it was pretty close. It think I used a touch more 4166. It gave good speed and accuracy, but I did a complete work up and not just throw a Varget load at it and hope it worked.

I'm not running 4166.

But, according to the Hodgdon website, starting charge weight for 4166 is 29.5 grains

Starting weight for Varget is 30.6 grains

They both show a max charge weight of 34 grains.

This info is for a 107g bullet.
we started our load today and we are at 33 grains of varget , we are in the mis 2800's with mt 28"proof. we are staying at that speed .

The 6GT was the easiest to load develop I have personally ever seen. Running 34.4-35 of Varget has 8 FPS total speed difference with the 105 Berger. I settled on 34.5 Varget, Hornady brass, FGMM primers and honestly just picked a number for COAL to seat the bullets and never checked the jump. It shot single digit SDs and tiny .25” groups at 2954. I decided I would try a 109 with the same load and it was almost identical results but being slightly slower. I am running a 26” A-Team precision profile Mullerworks barrel (Impact prefit)spun up by BrIan Allen. I went ahead and ordered another barrel I was so well pleased with it.

This is great to hear, Brian is shipping me my GT build as I write this , I also went with the A-Team Mullerworks barrel, also went with Impact action!

Just got my 26” 7.5 6GT barrel from GAP. All I have is SW Precision and H4350 with 105 hybrid and cci450. Couldn’t find any solid data on here, can anyone that’s using similar, provide me with a good starting charge? Thanks.

Just got my 26” 7.5 6GT barrel from GAP. All I have is SW Precision and H4350 with 105 hybrid and cci450. Couldn’t find any solid data on here, can anyone that’s using similar, provide me with a good starting charge? Thanks.
Screenshot_20210518-052924.png

You should be safe treating SW Precision as a 1:1 replacement for Varget, just work up from a light load because you may get a little more pressure (maybe not too).

i also read in PRECISION RILE SHOOTER magazine that they have gotten good results with Winchester 6.5 Staball, 100-150 fps faster

Here is a little bit of the article

Attachments

• ECC31778-3620-4F28-B17E-0EF2C72DBD16.jpeg
    ECC31778-3620-4F28-B17E-0EF2C72DBD16.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 129
i also read in PRECISION RILE SHOOTER magazine that they have gotten good results with Winchester 6.5 Staball, 100-150 fps faster
I tried that initially but had excessive pressure. I think StaBALL is too slow burning for that case size.

Reactions: Kaveman44
StaBall seems to work better for the heavies like the 115gr Nosler or DTAC

Using 107 SMK, which powders have has gotten good results. I have a bit of Varget left, plenty H4350 and Staball. I'm prepping up some cases now and want to load them up today.

Using 107 SMK, which powders have has gotten good results. I have a bit of Varget left, plenty H4350 and Staball. I'm prepping up some cases now and want to load them up today.
All of them have had good results. I'd grab varget first, but if you have more 4350 that'll do just fine as well.

Reactions: BuLLet
Got 2 8lb h4350s, maybe 8 1lb vargets...
On a gap cut chamber, using the h4350 any starting grains? Gonna use the hornady brass I first got. Have alpha now as well, but I'll start with hornady.

Thanks

All of them have had good results. I'd grab varget first, but if you have more 4350 that'll do just fine as well.

Got 2 8lb h4350s, maybe 8 1lb vargets...
On a gap cut chamber, using the h4350 any starting grains? Gonna use the hornady brass I first got. Have alpha now as well, but I'll start with hornady.

Thanks
I'd start somewhere in the 33 gr range for varget and maybe in the 34 range for 4350.
@BuLLet

from page 4, reference 105s
Those are top end values, I would DEFINITELY NOT start there.

Not sure, Brian Allen of A Team Precision did mine, I will ask

tlsmith22 Also got one from him and he liked it so much he ordered 2 more barrels

Did you guys do any seating Depth testing, just a heads up this is my first PRS gun

Hodgdon lists 34.1 as starting for H4350 and Sierra 107's, ending up going with 34.5 Grains to get a feel for the Gay Tiger!

COL 2.530, CCI 400 Primers, Hornady Brass

Last edited:
Hodgdon lists 44.1 as starting for H4350 and Sierra 107's, ending up going with 44.5 Grains to get a feel for the Gay Tiger!

COL 2.530, CCI 400 Primers, Hornady Brass
Are you sure? I would double check that data. 37.1 gr of H4350 has 109s going 3005 fps. 44.1 feels like it would spill out of the case.