• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

Shooting a match this weekend and just jot the barrel done last week. Did not have time for a break in and full load work up so just tool a SWAG and ended up good enough for now.

26" Krieger MTU 1/7
new Hornady brass
WSR primers
Berger 105 VLD target .010" off
34g Varget
.002" neck tension
2963fps avg, sd12
shot right at .4 moa

Also tried 112 Barnes match burners .030" off over 33.5g Varget. Was a little slow and only got .75 moa. Will revisit the Match Burners when I have some spare time to do some load development.

Reactions: DubfromGA
150 rounds down the barrel today, barrel is still speeding up. Did a seating depth test with some pretty decent results.
26” 1-7.5 - .120 FB - Bartlein Impact/Stuteville.
New Hornady Brass
Hornady 110 gr. A-Tip
35.54 gr. RL-16
Fed - 205M
.242 mandrel
.0365 - OTL
1.9360 - BTO
2.5990 - COAL
2777.8 - Velocity
14 - ES
5.3 - SD
Target is 100 yards -
43 Degrees

Attachments

• 2E86250B-5D87-4196-95A1-66590ACA00D5.jpeg
    2E86250B-5D87-4196-95A1-66590ACA00D5.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 224
150 rounds down the barrel today, barrel is still speeding up. Did a seating depth test with some pretty decent results.
26” 1-7.5 - .120 FB - Bartlein Impact/Stuteville.
New Hornady Brass
Hornady 110 gr. A-Tip
35.54 gr. RL-16
Fed - 205M
.242 mandrel
.0365 - OTL
1.9360 - BTO
2.5990 - COAL
2777.8 - Velocity
14 - ES
5.3 - SD
Target is 100 yards -
43 Degrees
where did you get that target , I love that it has for all of the info.

Does anyone have load data for Re15 or Re19, shooting a 70g or 85g bullet?

Probably an odd request, but I've got a decent supply of each and would like to load 150 rounds with these powders before dipping into the Varget, H4350 and match bullets.

Has anybody run a successful load with the 115 DTacs bullets in a 6mm GT Rifle? If so, can you share your load and powder used?

I can’t help, but something to consider. Do you have enough free bore in your chamber to run them?

Also would like info on 115 dtacs. Lucky to find anything right now. Just bought G.A. production rifle. Not sure on freebore. 7.2 twist. Thanks

Thanks they had a lefty in stock and grabbed it. Hopefully the dtacs will shoot.

Quick noob question, I have both brand of brass , will they both shoot differently with the same exact load, or will it differ?
Thanks

So hornady has more capacity ,but alpha is faster, with less power?
Same load with two different case capacities is going to give you different speed and barrel harmonics. This will likely impact your group size and point of impact.

If the explosion is contained in a smaller vessel it will build more pressure. That is why he said the Alpha would likely be faster with the same load.

Develop a load for both type cases and don’t mix them while shooting. That would be most people’s suggestion, mine included.

Reactions: mr.quick
Same load with two different case capacities is going to give you different speed and barrel harmonics. This will likely impact your group size and point of impact.

If the explosion is contained in a smaller vessel it will build more pressure. That is why he said the Alpha would likely be faster with the same load.

Develop a load for both type cases and don’t mix them while shooting. That would be most people’s suggestion, mine included.
I get it now ,thanks guys . I greatly appreciate ,all of you that gave your honest opinion.
Again thanks .

I was only 9 FPS faster when switching from Hornady brass to Alpha OCD brass with the same weight of powder, same primers, same bullet and same barrel.

Well I got 400 alpha non OCD and 250 Hornady , for me and my son ,and I didn’t want for him to use one brand and me an other.
I thought that it wouldn’t matter that much , but the guys who posted earlier ,make a lot of sense. The best thing to do is do two different loads and see how it goes .
I was only 9 FPS faster when switching from Hornady brass to Alpha OCD brass with the same weight of powder, same primers, same bullet and same barrel.

I wish id gone ocd brass, and the pallet that GA received 3 day ago was gone in like 24 hrs. The Hornady brass is okay, but any loadings with 105-110gr bullets goin over 2950 in my 28" barrel results in loose pockets after two firings. Once again a Hornady fail.....
We aren’t going to go over the 2950 ,I think anything between 28 and 2900 is what we are looking for .

Reactions: Mxridr
6gt is not a 6 creedmoor. See so many people wanting 2950-3000 FPS. I am working on my new gt and pretty sure it will settle in at 2800-2850 ish. Using hornady brass which is pretty soft too.

6gt is not a 6 creedmoor. See so many people wanting 2950-3000 FPS. I am working on my new gt and pretty sure it will settle in at 2800-2850 ish. Using hornady brass which is pretty soft too.
There you go that is what I am looking for

Kris

I am waiting on some too. I didn’t think a pallet would go that fast and missed out too.

I'm running 3000 with VT 103s. 34.2 of varget and 450s. 24" tube. on the 3rd firing now of hornady brass and pockets still feel good.

Reactions: aauya
I've certainly been struggling with my GT. Honestly though, I think its unrelated to the round itself. It simply won't stay on a node.

I put a couple hundred rounds on the new barrel, it had damn near no copper build up in it. Went to load development, landed on a great node at 2920fps and shot a .1 group with it. While practicing the load became ridiculously fast and inaccurate, 18 SD 56 ES. Scrubbed the barrel, it was a disaster of copper and carbon, and it settled back into that same node shooting bugholes. 200 rounds later, its a shotgun blast and velocity is all over.

So at this point I've scrubbed it again, and I'm just waiting for a break in the rain storm to go out and chrono it again. I'm 600 rounds into this barrel, I should have long since left finicky behavior behind. And this is my fifth Hawk Hill barrel from Shawn. All my others have been great. So much so that I keep buying them.

So we'll see. Im starting to get irritated with it.

I've certainly been struggling with my GT. Honestly though, I think its unrelated to the round itself. It simply won't stay on a node.

I put a couple hundred rounds on the new barrel, it had damn near no copper build up in it. Went to load development, landed on a great node at 2920fps and shot a .1 group with it. While practicing the load became ridiculously fast and inaccurate, 18 SD 56 ES. Scrubbed the barrel, it was a disaster of copper and carbon, and it settled back into that same node shooting bugholes. 200 rounds later, its a shotgun blast and velocity is all over.

So at this point I've scrubbed it again, and I'm just waiting for a break in the rain storm to go out and chrono it again. I'm 600 rounds into this barrel, I should have long since left finicky behavior behind. And this is my fifth Hawk Hill barrel from Shawn. All my others have been great. So much so that I keep buying them.

don't you think your SD and ES are too high? To me single digit numbers is what i look for

Your ES and SD aren't really standing out as what I'd classify as a "node."

Maybe time to start over.

This was my node in the pics below.

But within 60 rounds of shooting those rounds across the chrono and shooting that group, my velocity climbed up, my SD was ridiculous, and it stopped grouping.

So I scrubbed it, it was filthy with copper and carbon. And it went back down to a 4 SD in 10 shots, and was single hole again.

So I took it to an NRL match, 190 rounds. Just checked it yesterday, and its back to 18 SD and 51 ES. Utter garbage. There's just no excuse for it.

And they are the exact same rounds I loaded and checked before the match. I loaded 250 at the same time.

But within 60 rounds of shooting those rounds across the chrono and shooting that group, my velocity climbed up, my SD was ridiculous, and it stopped grouping.

So I scrubbed it, it was filthy with copper and carbon. And it went back down to a 4 SD in 10 shots, and was single hole again.

So I took it to an NRL match, 190 rounds. Just checked it yesterday, and its back to 18 SD and 51 ES. Utter garbage. There's just no excuse for it.

And they are the exact same rounds I loaded and checked before the match. I loaded 250 at the same time.

Have you doubled checked your powder weight , to make sure you are on point? Also what do you use to seat your bullets, do you prep your brass?

Reactions: Birddog6424
Have you doubled checked your powder weight , to make sure you are on point? Also what do you use to seat your bullets, do you prep your brass?
Reloading practices were my first suspicion. I crawled all over my brass and my rounds with calipers, and birddogged (no pun intended) every load. They are as intended.

If these still don't shoot after scrubbing the barrel I'll go back to the drawing board. Start from scratch with a new velocity ladder and rework the load and seating depth. If it comes to that I'll definitely be a little bent at having to go through this with a 600 round barrel on a mid-sized 6mm that I drank the Kool-aid of being easy to load.

If it has something to do with the barrel build up I'm not sure what the fix will be, beyond scrubbing it every 100 rounds and hope it stops.

Must guys I shoot with at NorCal shoot them a little slower and I must say the groups at long range have been awesome.

50 FPS is maybe.1 better wind at 1k not worth it

Brand new Bartein barrel 35.2 H4350 DTAC was 2740. 30 rounds down tube. Should speed to 2840 ish. Maybe

guys also have you guys thought that your speed is a little too hot , that might be the reason of the build up, I might be wrong.
Hornady Brass (Virgin)
CCI BR-4 primer
105gr Berger Hybrid ~75 thou off the lands
34.2gr Varget - Not a compressed load, but fills the case up ~97%
26" Bartlein, standard .120 freebore reamer

Gives me ~2980 fps, half MOA or less groups, and single digit SD's

I've seen multiple guys try and run this cartridge too slow (with varget anyway) and it doesn't end well. Lots of dented brass because it didn't have enough pressure to properly seal up.

Reactions: Mxridr
Is H4350 the ticket for guys that want to run it on the slower side?

Hornady Brass (Virgin)
CCI BR-4 primer
105gr Berger Hybrid ~75 thou off the lands
34.2gr Varget - Not a compressed load, but fills the case up ~97%
26" Bartlein, standard .120 freebore reamer

Gives me ~2980 fps, half MOA or less groups, and single digit SD's

I've seen multiple guys try and run this cartridge too slow (with varget anyway) and it doesn't end well. Lots of dented brass because it didn't have enough pressure to properly seal up.
how many rounds do you have barrel ?

flawless ?
The rounds I've loaded? They've been flawless so far...

Factory ammo, not so much. I put about 100 rounds of prime's offering through it and was pretty dissapointed. They run 115gr nosler RDF's over a ball powder (I suspect StaBall) and I think they developed their stuff for the .170 freebore chambers. I had to seat their stuff back 20 thousandths plus just to not be jamming in the lands. Called them about it, but they told me my chamber was "really tight." Asked them what reamer they developed it for and at first they said SAAMI (there's not a SAAMI spec yet) but then they just said "the standard reamer." Bartlein spun it up for me and they used a reamer to GA spec at .120 freebore (what George recommends unless you're going to be running the heavy stuff mostly)

Last edited:
The rounds I've loaded? They've been flawless so far...

Factory ammo, not so much. I put about 100 rounds of prime's offering through it and was pretty dissapointed. They run 115gr nosler RDF's over a ball powder (I suspect StaBall) and I think they developed their stuff for the .170 freebore chambers. I had to seat their stuff back 20 thousandths plus just to not be jamming in the lands. Called them about it, but they told me my chamber was "really tight." Asked them what reamer they developed it for and at first they said SAAMI (there's not a SAAMI spec yet) but then they just said "the standard reamer." Bartlein spun it up for me and they used a reamer to GA spec at .120 freebore (what George recommends unless you're going to be running the heavy stuff mostly)
Also if I recall correctly George also recommended for the bullet to be 105’s . I don’t know why people try to go heavier , if it was the caliber was done to spit the 105’s.

Is this Varget (or what powder) that your seeing this powder and carbon fouling? That's an excellent target and grouping.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Shoots 115 just fine. Plus that is all I could find right now

Is it a Krieger? My barrel is going through something similar. Had a stupid accurate load for 500 rounds, very stable, teens for ES in 10, now all a sudden its over pressure and shooting like crap, big vo spreads. I cleaned the barrel down to bare metal, suspecting carbon ring even though I couldn't find one. Had 108 bergers going 2940 in a nice powder node 10k off lands. I wonder if since the throat is getting a lil rough at 600 rounds it's causing issues.
This is a 7.5" twist 26" Hawk Hill. This is my fifth barrel from Shawn, they've all been fantastic.

I also scrubbed mine down to the metal the first time this happened.. it cured it for a while.
guys also have you guys thought that your speed is a little too hot , that might be the reason of the build up, I might be wrong.
2920fps is by no means fast for this cartridge. While testing I got up to 3040fps before primers were flat and bolt lift started to see some slight stick... There is nothing about this round that points to the 105gr bullet as the best choice. Its a mid-sized 6mm that can run about anything if you're willing to work it out and accept the results. I toyed very seriously with running DTACs at 2800'ish. The 105 and 103gr VT were pushed for obvious reasons, as Tom was involved in the conception and development, and George wanted to compete head to head against the Dasher shooters and win some of those fellas over.

Though I dont believe velocity is causing this particular problem, I do intend to explore a node I saw at around 2840fps with the 109gr. I am also going to tinker with the DTAC once I get some throat erosion and see how it performs. I have a 6mm throater but didn't want to bump the freebore on a brand new barrel and effect the shorter bullets I wanted to play with.

I'm already in line for a new barrel, so I'm just going to experiment with this one and see if I can find something I love about it. And I need to figure out whats causing this issue.. I have ruled out a few things,, but still need to get to the bottom of it.
Is this Varget (or what powder) that your seeing this powder and carbon fouling? That's an excellent target and grouping.
This is the interesting variable. I'm running 35.8grs of Shooter's World Long Rifle.

So far I've been impressed with it. I'm not ruling it out as my cause, but I think its a long shot at being the issue. This powder is branded as Lovex in Europe and has been around a while. Its a burn rate smack in the middle of Varget and 4350. It has a good reputation with no issues I could find in carbon build up or rings. Also, my travel partner is on his 2nd 22GT barrel running this stuff, and its performed excellent for him. He's running 90gr Atips at 3100fps and its a killer.

But its on my radar as being the issue.

Reactions: V-Ref
Its a PITA...but if it shoots that good with that combo...I'd say leave it alone, and just clean it after every range session/match day. Takes 15-20 minutes?

You can burn up a good barrel, trying to make it do what you wanna do (or at least I have). That looks to be a very solid grouping load/gun, especially if you get that to repeat over multiple test sessions.