• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

30.6g Varget with 105 Bergers at 2850 from a 27” barrel. Low SD, cannot remember at the moment. Less than 100 rounds on barrel so far, so we'll see if it speeds up or not.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I need help. I switched to a 109 Hybrid and from Lapua to Peterson brass. I’ve been working with tech line because I’ve been getting heavy bolt lift with swipe at slow velocities.
28” Hawk Hill 7.5 twist barrel and impact action. I’m only at 2705 FPS with 27.4 gr of Varget at 0.050 of riflings with 109 hybrid. I get heavy bolt at 27.8-27.9 gr!!!!! I even turned necks because a fired case neck measures .273 and a loaded round with unturned necks are .271 and so he thought that was the problem. Nope or at least not completely. I’ve used wheeler method to to find riflings and to verify shoulder isn’t a problem. On virgin brass the case headspace expansion on Petersen brass is .006 and Lapua was .004.
I switched because I wanted 500 rounds so I didn’t have to reload brass in order to shoot every week but giving up that much velocity is a ton. With Lapua and 105 hybrids 2850 was easy and not pushing the limits. However my tech support guy thinks 2750 should be all I should expect and I’m not even getting that before pressure becomes an issue. Am I crazy?

Reactions: wyat45
Had same problem with Peterson brass in 6xc . Switched to Norma and solved the problem. I'm not saying I recommend norma brass, but it worked in this case. Go back to lapua

Reactions: ifgator and BrienM
I need help. I switched to a 109 Hybrid and from Lapua to Peterson brass. I’ve been working with tech line because I’ve been getting heavy bolt lift with swipe at slow velocities.
28” Hawk Hill 7.5 twist barrel and impact action. I’m only at 2705 FPS with 27.4 gr of Varget at 0.050 of riflings with 109 hybrid. I get heavy bolt at 27.8-27.9 gr!!!!! I even turned necks because a fired case neck measures .273 and a loaded round with unturned necks are .271 and so he thought that was the problem. Nope or at least not completely. I’ve used wheeler method to to find riflings and to verify shoulder isn’t a problem. On virgin brass the case headspace expansion on Petersen brass is .006 and Lapua was .004.
I switched because I wanted 500 rounds so I didn’t have to reload brass in order to shoot every week but giving up that much velocity is a ton. With Lapua and 105 hybrids 2850 was easy and not pushing the limits. However my tech support guy thinks 2750 should be all I should expect and I’m not even getting that before pressure becomes an issue. Am I crazy?
Also going 2700 with 109 seams to be pretty good from the previous posts I've read in this thread.

Good advice. I liked the quality but I’m wanting to start shooting fclass 1000 yards as a way of getting more experience as I’ve gone through a medical nightmare for 4 1/2 years and am ready to pull the trigger on a regular basis. Anyway giving up that much velocity seems like too big of a compromise. Another thing is when temps go from 45 degrees to 90 degrees I might have needed to slow down even more. I can better justify going back to Lapua.

I'd be checking for a carbon ring as well. The only time I have ever had a pressure problem with a 6BR variant when using "normal" load amounts of Varget was when a carbon ring got started that I didn't catch right away. A straight 6BR should be able to be run around 30 grains of Varget @ somewhere around 2850 depending on how slippery your barrel is, length of barrel and how hot your version of Varget is.
Have you done an interior volume H2O test of the cases to see how much difference there is?
Cheers
Good advice. I liked the quality but I’m wanting to start shooting fclass 1000 yards as a way of getting more experience as I’ve gone through a medical nightmare for 4 1/2 years and am ready to pull the trigger on a regular basis. Anyway giving up that much velocity seems like too big of a compromise. Another thing is when temps go from 45 degrees to 90 degrees I might have needed to slow down even more. I can better justify going back to Lapua.
If you plan on shooting 1000 yard F-class, your 109 grain Berger will have a lot of "hang time" with the 27XX velocity at the muzzle. On a really calm day, a 6BR variant going 2950+ may be able to hang with the 7mm calibers, but the minute the wind kicks in, the bullet will take a beating. There is a reason most of us shoot a 7mm caliber with 180 hybrids for LR matches.
Cheers

I'd be checking for a carbon ring as well. The only time I have ever had a pressure problem with a 6BR variant when using "normal" load amounts of Varget was when a carbon ring got started that I didn't catch right away. A straight 6BR should be able to be run around 30 grains of Varget @ somewhere around 2850 depending on how slippery your barrel is, length of barrel and how hot your version of Varget is.
Have you done an interior volume H2O test of the cases to see how much difference there is?
Cheers

If you plan on shooting 1000 yard F-class, your 109 grain Berger will have a lot of "hang time" with the 27XX velocity at the muzzle. On a really calm day, a 6BR variant going 2950+ may be able to hang with the 7mm calibers, but the minute the wind kicks in, the bullet will take a beating. There is a reason most of us shoot a 7mm caliber with 180 hybrids for LR matches.
Cheers
I’m just going to start shooting with what I have and realize I’ll take a beating. I just want to play the game. If I have as much fun as I did at the one and only match last summer then I’ll build a Fclass rifle over the winter and most likely a 284 by Alex wheeler.
I’m assuming the water difference is significant and I’ve already fought with carbon rings unfortunately. Just keep coming back quickly and frankly has ruined some of the fun I thought I’d have with the 6BR because it comes so quickly that I’m always wondering if it’s affecting my load development. Regardless I just ordered 500 cases of Lapua brass and may try my supply of RL15

Love this thread. Been shooting a dasher for a while but switched back to the straight BR while the dasher is out getting another barrel. My 6br is a x caliber 1:7.5 savage prefit on an origin action. With the standard 30 gn varget lapua brass and 105 hybrids I’m getting 2895 with an sd of 3.7. This load chrono’s out at that speed and drops verified out 1k with that dope. Guess it’s a fast barrel, my dasher is getting 2950 with 31.4. Would love to try a 22BR

Reactions: lash
I’m just going to start shooting with what I have and realize I’ll take a beating. I just want to play the game. If I have as much fun as I did at the one and only match last summer then I’ll build a Fclass rifle over the winter and most likely a 284 by Alex wheeler.
I’m assuming the water difference is significant and I’ve already fought with carbon rings unfortunately. Just keep coming back quickly and frankly has ruined some of the fun I thought I’d have with the 6BR because it comes so quickly that I’m always wondering if it’s affecting my load development. Regardless I just ordered 500 cases of Lapua brass and may try my supply of RL15
Good on ya for being out there. Do you have the ability to scope the barrel and see if you have a carbon ring going? If you have some Kroil, plug the muzzle and fill that baby up and let it sit for about a week, or if you can identify the ring, go after it with kroil and a bronze brush. Brush, patch clean, patch with kroil, sit for 24 hours, repeat. Do that for about 4 days and shoot it again. Kroil is a magic elixir for me on both carbon and copper.

Several guys I shoot with have Alex chamber rifles for them. The guy knows what he is doing... (y)

Would love to try a 22BR
I have two rifles set up in 22BR for p-dog shooting; old school Ruger #1 that is on it's 5th barrel and a Falkor/KRG Bravo setup that I built this winter. Will be out in Montana hammering them in 3 weeks. Most fun you can have with your clothes on...especially at my age.

Reactions: orkan
I have two rifles set up in 22BR for p-dog shooting; old school Ruger #1 that is on it's 5th barrel and a Falkor/KRG Bravo setup that I built this winter. Will be out in Montana hammering them in 3 weeks. Most fun you can have with your clothes on...especially at my age.
I've been out half a dozen times smashing them up already. :)

Reactions: Joel Danielson
I've been out half a dozen times smashing them up already. :)
You are fortunate to live in SD. I used to shoot a lot around Kennebec and NW of Mobridge. Back in the 80's I could shoot out a 22-250 barrel in a week...:giggle::cool: Couple guys that played for the North Stars and I would go through 500 rounds each in a day, and that was back in the day with the #1 and a Remington 700.
Cheers

Reactions: orkan and lash
Guys, I cannot find reloading data for 105 gr Berger BT Target and VV n 140. There is ZERO data on VV's website and ZERO data at Berger Bullets' website. Where should I start load development and where is max on this?

I'm going to join the 6BR club here shortly. I pre-ordered an AI AT-X and while I'll shoot it in .260R, I'm also going to use it in PRS and shoot the 6BR.

I have an AI barrel, some factory Lapua with the 105 and a short action custom die set arriving this week, to go with Lapua brass, CCI 450s and Varget that already landed. For once, I'll have all the components before a rifle arrives. :)

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Guys, I cannot find reloading data for 105 gr Berger BT Target and VV n 140. There is ZERO data on VV's website and ZERO data at Berger Bullets' website. Where should I start load development and where is max on this?
My load is 29.9 of N140 with a 109 berger. It runs 2820ish out of a 26" Proof barrel and using Lapua brass. Using CCI 400 primers out of necessity right now and they are still round after firing with no sign of high pressures.

Reactions: DH302
As with many manuals those numbers look kinda low.

That combo certainly isn't getting the typical speeds everyone reports when using Varget etc.
Exactly. I saw the reloading data on 105 Scenar, but frankly speaking they seem suprisingly low. I cannot get Varget, so I will be developing my load using VVn 140. My assumption is I should start my load at 2 grains above minimum provided for Scenars, however I would like to ask you guys for your kind guidance on this.

@orkan is rocking H4350 and speaking to the results.
I’ve got lots to try when the ranges open back up.

As someone with a new 6BR and both Varget & H4350 I too am curious

How accurate are we talking Orkan?
I was running Berger 109 with 30.2 Varget, .030 off lands. I try and shoot NRL/PRS. I have access to 105 now. With the shortage I could only find 109. I have 6.5 Lbs of Varget, 9 Lbs of H4350, and 3.5 of Benchmark.

What is your load?
31gr. Though you should start somewhere around 28.

How accurate are we talking Orkan?
3zvMZlEh.jpg

5 on the left, 3 on the right.
rFq5zx2h.jpg

My 22 BR likes H4350 also.
U07Jt0Ch.jpg

O9ylJ3eh.jpg

I always enjoy crushing the "kyle's" and their large cartridges at distance with the little 6br-based stuff. :)
It's so much fun. My local range only goes to 1000 and has a 10" plate out there. One day my buddy comes over with his dasher and just smokes it 10/10 and the guy next to him is struggling to hit the 16" plate with his 338. That guy asked what my buddy was shooting and his face was utter disappointment when he said it was a dasher.

It's so much fun. My local range only goes to 1000 and has a 10" plate out there. One day my buddy comes over with his dasher and just smokes it 10/10 and the guy next to him is struggling to hit the 16" plate with his 338. That guy asked what my buddy was shooting and his face was utter disappointment when he said it was a dasher.
1,000 with a 338 should be like cheating.

Reactions: lash and Tshootz
Should be, and honestly I was surprised he was struggling to hit the plate. But not everyone knows how to effectively use their tools.

Reactions: Defender3

A couple years ago I was shooting against friends, one with a 30-06 bench rifle using 210's and a 6.5 PRC using 150 SMK.
My little 6mmBR definitely overcame them at all distances to 1000Y and when we went to get our steel I was shocked to see 1.5" vertical for 9 of the 10 shots, that one hit was 4" higher. It was too windy to keep them all on a 10" steel though, my steel was 19" wide but the group was a foot wide.

Would I like the precision the 6mmBR offers with more BC, heck yeah I would, but 6mmBR does surprisingly well in barrel life, low ES, ample energy to see hits and misses compared to 22 cal, less recoil than the 6.5's. No fireforming, not much not to like.
If I actually practiced I could get good with 6mmBR!

I am putting together a 6MM BR and recently found IMR 4166 powder and didn't want an 8lb jug if it wouldn't work well in the BR. I am going to use Lapua brass with the Berger 109s and 108 Hornadys out of a 26" barrel.

Any of you have experience with IMR 4166 powder in your 6MM BR with the heavier bullets? Appreciate any insight, loads, velocities, etc.

Reactions: BlueLacy
I am putting together a 6MM BR and recently found IMR 4166 powder and didn't want an 8lb jug if it wouldn't work well in the BR. I am going to use Lapua brass with the Berger 109s and 108 Hornadys out of a 26" barrel.

Any of you have experience with IMR 4166 powder in your 6MM BR with the heavier bullets? Appreciate any insight, loads, velocities, etc.

ive used 16lbs of it. very close to varget. very temp stable.

id start load workup at 28 gr and go from
there. my sweet spot was just under 30 iirc

GL
DT

ive used 16lbs of it. very close to varget. very temp stable.

id start load workup at 28 gr and go from
there. my sweet spot was just under 30 iirc

GL
DT
Excellent - thank you... I will post up some results once I put it together. It's not too easy to find info other than the standard ~30 grs Varget with 105s.

Reactions: D_TROS
I luv Discord, I was able to get 5lbs of Varget from Natchez and 5lbs from MidSouth this week. I should be GTG for the 6BR, well, once the AI AT-X arrives. :) Seems 30 - 30.5grs of Varget in Lapua Brass over the Berger 105 is a hammer, but I'll work up a load for the AI.

IMG_9643-1998119.jpg

Reactions: Zack_va248
I luv Discord, I was able to get 5lbs of Varget from Natchez and 5lbs from MidSouth this week. I should be GTG for the 6BR, well, once the AI AT-X arrives. :) Seems 30 - 30.5grs of Varget in Lapua Brass over the Berger 105 is a hammer, but I'll work up a load for the AI.

IMG_9643-1998119.jpg
Out of my AI AX 26” Win Tac 6BR 30.4grs Varget, BR4’s, 105gr Berger HT, 1.645 CBTO moving at 2910fps have been absolutely money

74420726-C94F-4791-958C-0E0D58DC85CF.jpeg

My limited experience tells me that with the 6BR and 105s, just pick the speed you want and go shooting. I haven’t found a bad load yet, but went with a medium speed load at 2850 to balance out performance and barrel life.

I'm shooting an 8t 26" Criterion on a Savage 10.

I started and ended at 30.0gr Varget underneath a 105 Berger.

Right out of the box velocity climbed from 2815 to 2840 in 20 rounds

I didn't bother with any other development. Instead, I just shoot it.

I have two other slow twist 6-BRs and load development was the same. They didn't care what I fed them.

That’s the same article I read and determined to try .060” as well.
I also have some 4895, and VV150 to tray. @orkan is onto something with H4530 which I have as well. I think he’s shooting the larger capacity variants on the BR though, but worth a shot.
My lands were at 1.802”. I was able to find them with the barrel off and extracting with my finger nail.

I’ve never heard of that. So you just pull the barrel and slowly push the bullet in until you make contact with the lands

I assembled a cartridge with a piece of brass that I know chambered with no resistance. Seated the bullet long, and began setting it back a few thou at a time until I could take it out of the chamber with my fingernail with no resistance.

Last edited: