• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

Need to look into the satterlee method of load development. Only way to go. Used it on 3 guns and will never use any other method again. Too fast and too easy

So I settled on the 29.5gr of N540 powder over a 105gr Berger hybrid. Over a 20rd average it was 2831fps. SD of 7 and ES of 24. 8.1 mil of elevation to 1085yds and holding 1.7 mils for wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: alcap
So I settled on the 29.5gr of N540 powder over a 105gr Berger hybrid. Over a 20rd average it was 2831fps. SD of 7 and ES of 24. 8.1 mil of elevation to 1085yds and holding 1.7 miles for wind.

1.7 miles....that’s a hurricane force wind lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68
I'd like to know what it gets you. That is likely the direction I will go on my next one.
Well just for the heck of it I shot it over the chrono with just 25 rounds on the barrel. 105 hybrid, 30.0 RL-15, Fed 205M, Peterson brass got me 2860 fps over 15 rds. Sd wasn't great at 14 but I think switching to CCI 450's will help with that.

Reactions: BrienM
Well just for the heck of it I shot it over the chrono with just 25 rounds on the barrel. 105 hybrid, 30.0 RL-15, Fed 205M, Peterson brass got me 2860 fps over 15 rds. Sd wasn't great at 14 but I think switching to CCI 450's will help with that.

I have to agree on the 450s. My SD was in that 16-18 range with federal match primers and dropped to 7 with the 450s.

Reactions: alcap and BrienM
For the 6BR is 2850/2900 fps with 105’s is doable with a 27 inch barrel of it’s asking too much?

Anyone have data on the 110 Atips?

For the 6BR is 2850/2900 fps with 105’s is doable with a 27 inch barrel of it’s asking too much?

Anyone have data on the 110 Atips?
Yes as thats what I’m running with mine with 105’s and varget through a 27” kreiger barrel

Reactions: Raufoss
I have to agree on the 450s. My SD was in that 16-18 range with federal match primers and dropped to 7 with the 450s.
You really had that high of an SD with the 205m primers?? I had quite the opposite. I had a sd of 2.9fps with the 205m’s and with BR4’s I had a sd of 4.

I thought it was weird also. But that's what my magneto speed was reading.

It feeds really well. Zero issues. I have the MDT 12rd mags and I haven't had any feeding issues. 1 out of maybe 30 will not eject properly. But it's only happened twice now.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
It feeds really well. Zero issues. I have the MDT 12rd mags and I haven't had any feeding issues. 1 out of maybe 30 will not eject properly. But it's only happened twice now.

Awesome, thanks!

Reactions: Doc68
Don't run the bolt like a pussy!!
Though to the uninitiated one might see this as a harsh response. My first custom action was a Defiance Devient tac. At first I was nervous that it would Jack up my round if it didn't feed right and so I ran the bolt like a pussy. However, when I learned the error of my ways and if you run the bolt with full commitment....... It was as though it was a completely different action. So smooth. Fed perfectly. So avoid my learning curve and drive that bitch like ya stole it!!!!

I wish I could find varget.
Its out there, it took me about a month, but within a week I was able to get 26lbs and that was only due to purchase restrictions.

Find 4-5 websites that stock Varget and show "in stock" figures. Check them 3 times a day (breakfast/lunch/dinner) and you will find Varget easier than you think.

Ordered a barrel, berger hybrid 105's, and lapua brass.

Need to order dies and bushings. What's everyone liking?

I really like the rcbs seater dies with the window. I also have le wilson fl bushing dies for 6.5 creed and valkyrie. Thinking of going that route again.

What size neck bushings should I order with lapua brass and 105 hybrids?

Thanks

I really like the rcbs seater dies with the window. I also have le wilson fl bushing dies for 6.5 creed and valkyrie. Thinking of going that route again.

Thanks

i recommend getting harrels fl bushing sizing die. you shoot 3 rounds and send them your brass. they send you a die that closest matches your chamber. and they are only $80.

i use a .265 (some use .264) bushing to oversize the necks, then run them back over a mandrel to set final neck tension.

i use the rcbs match master die for my .223 and it is really nice.

however i stick with my forster micrometer for seating on my 6br

Reactions: bgavin
i recommend getting harrels fl bushing sizing die. you shoot 3 rounds and send them your brass. they send you a die that closest matches your chamber. and they are only $80.

i use a .265 (some use .264) bushing to oversize the necks, then run them back over a mandrel to set final neck tension.

i use the rcbs match master die for my .223 and it is really nice.

however i stick with my forster micrometer for seating on my 6br

I'll take a look at the harrels fl die.

Thanks

Thanks
Those are the dies I have, just non bushing dies. It has the micrometer seating die. I did have to take a bullet and 600grit sandpaper to the seating stem because it was leaving a ring around the tip of the bullet. I use the berger hybrid 105s.

Thanks

.266...if your going to run a mandrel go .265

MDT 12rd 6BR mags
20200919_093928.jpg
20200919_093937.jpg

small base 308 die.

Close, but not quite the same.

The ring die I have has zero chamfer at the base, and sizes *all* the way down the case web as far as it can get to the shell holder, whereas a SB die squeezes a *little* smaller, and has less radius/chamfer at the base than a regular F/L die... but it physically cannot size as far down the case web as a true ring die, both because of the chamfer/radius, and because you have to be conscious of not pushing the shoulder back too far.

I need (well, 'want' would probably be more accurate) a ring die or two in other case head sizes to go with the one I have. That one was custom made, but the guy has gone radio-silent since then. PVA was supposed to be making something similar that they called a 'small base' die that used bushings... but they don't even have it on their web site anymore.

Like I said, let me know when you find someone who makes a ring die. I'm interested.

Most people that have used them likes the Harrels precision die. Fire 3 cases 3 times and send them to him. He has a couple different sizes of dies and finishes them to match your chamber.

Close, but not quite the same.

The ring die I have has zero chamfer at the base, and sizes *all* the way down the case web as far as it can get to the shell holder, whereas a SB die squeezes a *little* smaller, and has less radius/chamfer at the base than a regular F/L die... but it physically cannot size as far down the case web as a true ring die, both because of the chamfer/radius, and because you have to be conscious of not pushing the shoulder back too far.

I need (well, 'want' would probably be more accurate) a ring die or two in other case head sizes to go with the one I have. That one was custom made, but the guy has gone radio-silent since then. PVA was supposed to be making something similar that they called a 'small base' die that used bushings... but they don't even have it on their web site anymore.

Like I said, let me know when you find someone who makes a ring die. I'm interested.

whats strange is that your having issues with a BR I shot a few barrel and never had any sizing issues.

Reactions: Tokay444
Never said I needed them for a BR 😉

Weird... I went to that page yesterday and earlier today; got a 404 error both times. Emailed them about the dies, said they were on indefinite backorder.

Reactions: 47guy
It will depend on your reamer and if you want to turn necks.

Not sore on reamer and no mention of neck turning.

Called bugholes and told them I wanted a
6br and I wanted to use lapua brass and 105 hybrids.
Will give them a call and see what they say.
Thanks

Reactions: memilanuk
Not sore on reamer and no mention of neck turning.

Called bugholes and told them I wanted a
6br and I wanted to use lapua brass and 105 hybrids.
Will give them a call and see what they say.
Thanks

if your ordering a prefit its not(i should say i doubt)going to be a tight chamber.

My 6br load is slow compared to everyone else but went with accuracy & components I have on hand.
H4895 - 28.4 grains=2813 ES of 9
Fed205M primers
Lapua brass
105 hybrid loaded .040 off lands ( wanted boat tail near shoulder/ neck junction)
Also wanted to mention, you guys having carbon issues, did you see where Eric Cortina said he uses CLR to clean carbon from his barrels? CLR is a household cleaner I also use to clean my screens & sprayer nozzles on my herbicide applicator when storing for winter. Calcium, lime, rust. Is what it stands for.

Reactions: alcap
I use CLR to clean the bore in my other rifles. Not every cleaning but will with this barrel b/c I’ll be using Varget.

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM
1# canisters of H4895 are in stock at Powder Valley. I just watched the 8# go out of stock so you’d better hustle.

Reactions: keystoneshooter
My regular load for 6mmBR is with H4895. I have Varget & H4895 on hand but I am weighing my options for future powder scarcity. My question is does anyone have a load using Norma 203B ( I know not temp stable) or Vihtavuori N540 with either 105 hybrid or 108 ELDM? just looking to expand my powder options.

My regular load for 6mmBR is with H4895. I have Varget & H4895 on hand but I am weighing my options for future powder scarcity. My question is does anyone have a load using Norma 203B ( I know not temp stable) or Vihtavuori N540 with either 105 hybrid or 108 ELDM? just looking to expand my powder options.

I'm using 540 right now.

26" 1/8 twist tube from PVA
29.5gr 540
105 hybrid
450 primers
2 times fired Peterson brass
10 thousandths off lands

1/4-1/3 MOA at 100yds.

Doc

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM
Who’s running 7 twist over 7.5?

I'm running 8 amd have zero issues up to 105gr. Dont know how much better a 7 or 7.5 would be over that.

Reactions: Tokay444