• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 6mm RAT

ARP

Predators NightMare
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Greenwood, AR
I have finally found enough time to start working on my new F Class type rifle. The caliber is a 6mm RAT, designed by hide member Krebaum, and built by Lee Wells of Accurate and Reliable rifles. Both of these guys are outstanding people and I highly recommend either of them. The 6mm RAT is a 6.5 Grendel which is necked down to a 6mm bullet. The neck is then blown forward .075 inches and the shoulder set to 40 degrees. I have not even shot this rifle yet, but anticipating in the 2800-2900 range with the 107 Sierra Match Kings.

The upper is a heavy wall billet with a side charger. The barrel is a 26.5 inch Satern SS 1:8 twist. The float tube is a WOA. There is an AR Gold trigger inside and a 20 MOA EGW base underneath the Larue mount that holds the 12-42x56 NightForce BR scope that has an R2 reticle inside. Magpul grip and Magpul PRS stock. Sits on top of a 6-9 Harris swivel with notched legs. Paint is duracoat and was sprayed by myself. I may add a bit more "flair" to it with logos but it is pretty much where I wanted it here. Thanks also goes out to DebosDave of the hide who is helping me with hydroforming the brass to avoid having to fireform.

I am liking this thing thus far and will be load developing and shooting over the summer and hope to shoot a comp or three within the coming year with it.

Re: 6mm RAT

I love my 6rat. Lee built mine as well. Shoots phenominally! Built it for coyote, and an occasional deer, rifle shoots 87s vmax in the .5moa range with little tuning at 3000fps.

That paint scheme is INSANE! looks good. to me its blue.... a favorite of us Kentucky guys!

Thanks guys. I will report back once I get loads worked up and get some range time with it.

I am in the process of building something similar, however, I decided to go with the 6mm BRX instead of one of the Grendel based 6mm catridges. Looks like you've got a great rifle.

Bump for BC
smile.gif

How do you like all that magnification? I think it is too much for me in a field rifle but to each their own. Nice rig though. Good luck

Magnification is fine for me. Not an issue at all. A person can select anywhere from 12 to 42 so somewhere in there is a mag that works.

I just feel that lower mag is better for my self for quick, close and slightly farther shots especially when the target is on the move. I love my 12-42 NF BR but it only get used on my BR heavy gun and sometimes on my light gun. I love the rig though. SUper nice and I'm super jelous

this gun won't shoot less than 600 yards very often and then at a static target

I have not even shot this rifle yet, but anticipating in the 2800-2900 range with the 107 Sierra Match Kings. (Quote)

Might just make it into the 2800 area with the 107's. Mine is a 22" and able to push 105 Amax @ 2740, 87 Vmax @ 3000. Tried the 107's and didn't have much luck, 105 Amax was best followed by 108 Bergers. This is a really great round, turns a hohum AR into a long range contender.

This one has the 26.5 inch barrel and should be into the 2800 - 2900 range fairly easily. First light loads shot for fun show that it will be able to do such without too much effort. Just haven't had enough time to work on it as of yet which pretty much sux.

Just ordered my 6Rat from WOA. This thread helped me decide.

Recko, you decided well. Mine shoots really well. No load development. 87 vmax and 105 amax and imr8208xbr wads em up in clover leaf groups I'm telln you.

Casey,
Have you done any fire forming while shooting the 105s and even at long distance? I am hoping the 105 A-max shoots. If not, it looks like Bergers it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recko555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered my 6Rat from WOA. This thread helped me decide. </div></div>

Here's a builder in Iowa who chambers a lot of rats. Did a great job on mine. Rifle has killed a lot of animals running a 87gr vmax at ~3050 via 22" saturn.

http://www.accurateandreliablerifle.com/products.html#anchor_262

The link in the above post is the person who built mine.

Yeah, I know of him and his website. Thanks for the link though. I have done business with John before and like his work, so I decided to stay with him.
I will probably buy brass, case length gauge, and stud adapter from Lee though. Where is everyone buying Hornady 87s and 105s at? I can't find any in stock.

Recko: Yes. And i can't tell much differenc in the accuracy. The fire forming load is 20 grains of 8208.

Trying hydroforming with these. Will see how that fares

Recko, I'm looking at my load notes.
The fire-forming load is around 25 grains of 8208. And it is very accurate.
The running load is 28.5 grains of 8208 and a 105 AMAX with an overall length of 2.265" in formed brass. This load is good for about 2750fps.
The 87VMAX load is 30.5 grains of the same powder for about 3000fps.
The numbers are for naked bullets.
These two bullets have proven the more consistent performers for some other shooters and me. This powder has proven the less temp sensitive too.
Be careful. I don't think I have a typo error here but it is possible. I over-charged my RAT once by two grains, which is more than 10%. It did not work well at all. Mr. Holliger had to work on it.

url]

WOA upper, RWS brake (just to see the trace sooner, and to look cool)
The High Rider is little too high for ulimate weld, but I had to show it off.