• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 Lapua

Are these the first rounds through the barrel? Its likely you will see it speed up after 100-150 rounds. I haven’t used 4350 but in my experience you should be able to run 3100 with 105’s safely.
Yes, it is a new barrel, these are the first rounds through it. Understood about the speed up as it starts to break in. As far as the brass goes, are the markings from the ejector and firing pin indicative of an issue, or is that normal for 6x47 Lapua?

Yes, it is a new barrel, these are the first rounds through it. Understood about the speed up as it starts to break in. As far as the brass goes, are the markings from the ejector and firing pin indicative of an issue, or is that normal for 6x47 Lapua?

Guys don't like it when I point this out, but in my load development efforts with the 6x47L, I found velocity to be incredibly inconsistent from one day to the next with small primers.

I fixed the problem by forming my brass from other cases like 6XC or 22-250 so I could run large primers.

Once I did that, the performance became far more consistent over wide temperature changes.

It's worth a try if you are having similar problems.

Guys don't like it when I point this out, but in my load development efforts with the 6x47L, I found velocity to be incredibly inconsistent from one day to the next with small primers.

I fixed the problem by forming my brass from other cases like 6XC or 22-250 so I could run large primers.

Once I did that, the performance became far more consistent over wide temperature changes.

@PracticalTactical
What powder are you using?

I'm new to 6x47 Lapua and 6mm in general. I'm running a Terminus Zeus action with a 26in Proof steel barrel. My concern is around the brass after being fired for the first time, and if I'm getting high pressure signs or simply not doing something properly.

All of these loads are with brand new Lapua 6.5x47 brass necked down to 6x47 using a Forster full length sizing die. I am using 105gr Berger Hybrid Target bullets, starting with 37gr of H4350 and ran .5gr increments laddered up to 40gr. I am seeing the ejector marks and scuffing on the brass. The primers are showing some flattening and puckering around the firing pin, but the velocity and charge weights seem reasonable. These are all using CCI Small Rifle primers. Am I on the right track with this load development? Should the brand new brass be showing ejector marks and scuffing, or the level of primer flattening/cratering around the firing pin?

Here are some photos of the brass - 105gr Berger Hybrid Target - H4350 - Top Row 37gr @2836fps, bottom row 37.5gr @2886fps:View attachment 7668282

105gr Berger Hybrid Target - H4350 - Top Row 38gr @2931fps, bottom row 38.5gr @2989fps:

View attachment 7668283

105gr Berger Hybrid Target - H4350 - Top Row 39gr @3030fps, middle row 39.5gr @3071fps, bottom 40gr @3113fps
View attachment 7668284
I run a Terminus Zeus also in 6 creed and it marks up brass in the same fashion with mild loads. It’s just the edges on the ejector hole are sharp. You could buff them down a lil. I know 3 others that did same thing. Those primers aren’t even flat anyway. You’re load is fine

Reactions: Andrew2011

What’s your process for forming brass from 6xc?

What reamers are you guys using? Cortina talks of his being a straight 6.5x47 necked down to 6mm instead of any other dimensions being changed compared to the 6.5.
How different is a "regular" 6x47 L compared to a 6-6.5x47 ?

How different is a "regular" 6x47 L compared to a 6-6.5x47 ?

I believe one in the same animal. Early nomenclature (name 6-6.5x47) was when the 6.5 x 47 Lapua was first necked down to 6mm.

I think on my next rebarrel I'm going to switch to 6x47 since I'm already setup for 6.5x47. I've ready 6x47 is finicky? I seem to find mixed results, this thread included. Also appreciable barrel life? Can you expect 2500rds out of it? That's plenty if so, albeit probably wishful thinking depending on the desired performance.

I had thought of switching to 6GT, especially given the inception of factory ammo.

Last edited:
I’ve read where the caliber can be finicky as well.

I’m on my second rifle chambered in the caliber, and I’ve not had any issues with relatively low SDs.

I’m 1400 rounds into my second 6x47L chambered rifle, and it’s holding a SD of ~7 with my terrible reloading skills. However, it has lost 50 fps from the last time I ran it over the Magnetospeed.

Reactions: Sbenc
I’ve read where the caliber can be finicky as well.

I’m on my second rifle chambered in the caliber, and I’ve not had any issues with relatively low SDs.

I’m 1400 rounds into my second 6x47L chambered rifle, and it’s holding a SD of ~7 with my terrible reloading skills. However, it has lost 50 fps from the last time I ran it over the Magnetospeed.
What kind of speed/bullet are you running with that?

I’m currently running a Berger 105 Hybrid at an average velocity of 3006 fps.

A couple other folks I shoot with run one as well, and they’ve had good luck with the caliber too. I don’t believe either one of them have any plans of swapping calibers as their main long range gun.

I think on my next rebarrel I'm going to switch to 6x47 since I'm already setup for 6.5x47. I've ready 6x47 is finicky? I seem to find mixed results, this thread included. Also appreciable barrel life? Can you expect 2500rds out of it? That's plenty if so, albeit probably wishful thinking depending on the desired performance.

I had thought of switching to 6GT, especially given the inception of factory ammo.

I honestly haven't had any problems in five 6x47L barrels, well except the one that the idiot GS used epoxy between the barrel and recoil lug to make up for diving to deep with the reamer. Even so it still shot less than moa but it had poi shifts that got worse over time. Barrel burned out and I found out about the epoxy thing when I finally bought a action wrench and barrel vice.

Residing at 6700 ft elevation and haven't had ignition problems with CCI450 primers even using H4831SC in cold weather.
SD's in the 7-8 range.
Had a super good barrel last time with some really tight groups out there a ways.
Out shot guys with big guns at 1450Y one time which was interesting to me.
Friggen brass is sitting on the shelf with some of them over 30 firings and still have snug primer pockets.
In the old days won many a field course match and this cartridge was the trick at the time.

The bad - nope it don't get long barrel life unless you dial it back I suppose. Average for all my barrels was 1700 or so rounds and often giving it more powder plus seating the bullet out farther to extend what life was left. But 105's at 3172 fps(last load I used) is hard not to want because it is formidable. But 115 DTACS at 3000 fps was what I had the most succes with at my peak.

I don't compete in tactical matches anymore so I went to 6mmBR because I like the long barrel life and all this cartridge has to offer, especially because the place I shoot at most often only goes to 785Y.

I honestly haven't had any problems in five 6x47L barrels, well except the one that the idiot GS used epoxy between the barrel and recoil lug to make up for diving to deep with the reamer. Even so it still shot less than moa but it had poi shifts that got worse over time. Barrel burned out and I found out about the epoxy thing when I finally bought a action wrench and barrel vice.

Residing at 6700 ft elevation and haven't had ignition problems with CCI450 primers even using H4831SC in cold weather.
SD's in the 7-8 range.
Had a super good barrel last time with some really tight groups out there a ways.
Out shot guys with big guns at 1450Y one time which was interesting to me.
Friggen brass is sitting on the shelf with some of them over 30 firings and still have snug primer pockets.
In the old days won many a field course match and this cartridge was the trick at the time.

The bad - nope it don't get long barrel life unless you dial it back I suppose. Average for all my barrels was 1700 or so rounds and often giving it more powder plus seating the bullet out farther to extend what life was left. But 105's at 3172 fps(last load I used) is hard not to want because it is formidable. But 115 DTACS at 3000 fps was what I had the most succes with at my peak.

I don't compete in tactical matches anymore so I went to 6mmBR because I like the long barrel life and all this cartridge has to offer, especially because the place I shoot at most often only goes to 785Y.

I think I'm going to run it then. It just saves me a great deal of headache from farming out all my brass and dies to just buy a bushing and go. I think I'll stick at conservative speeds like @LawnMM has suggested to try and tame barrel life. Though I've had my 6.5x47 for 7 years now I think and still haven't burnt it out. I think at 2300rds. So not terribly worried about barrel life. School/Life has really gotten in the way for shooting. I have 4-6 more years then I'll be able to actually start enjoying things again.

Also I wonder if I could use 6.5 staball? Just loaded up some for 6cm and it throws really well. Was surprised at case fill too.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
I have a lot of detail to share and will do soon. Here is final final.

Berger 105 VLDs at min 80 thou jump.
H4350 39.6gr 3075 fps. ES=5.5 SD 2.6. Shoots same hole at 100. Vertical tested at 500 and 1150. 500 < 2" and 1150 inside 5".

Proof 26" comp contour. Cut by Preece in UT.

Took a lot of work to end up here, but worth it. This is my PRS gun for this years national matches.

What jump are you guys using as a starting point?
From my experience, how much jump gets best results depends on your throat length but even more so on your specific throat diameter.

It's not exactly a secret, but throat diameter is rarely discussed as a factor that regulates accuracy.

Reamer makers err on the side of sloppy for safety sake, but died in the wool long range precision guys will want the tightest possible throat for obvious reasons.

If you have a real nice throat that fits your bullets with a perfect slip fit, then you can jump as much as you want and still get a good result. If you have a sloppy throat, you will want to jam to provide some guidance in the taper to ensure at least the nose starts into the rifling centered.

If you have a sloppy throat and a tight neck, at least you can save the day by neck turning and minimizing neck clearances. If you have a sloppy neck and a sloppy throat, well that's a worst case scenario and you will never have consistently great groups. I find there are more hummer barrels out there than we tend to realize, but we rarely get hummer throating jobs.

To this point, don't look to your reamer spec to determine your throat diameter... Best to do a Cerrosafe chamber cast and measure that... If you are 0.001 clear or more, you're pretty much screwed if you want to shoot bug holes. Hard core accuracy guys want more like 0.0002" clearance over actual bullet diameter but they flirt with a dangerous condition of pushing the bullet back into the case when they chamber the round. As with most things about shooting, its a balancing act.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is the wrong place. I’ve loaded 6x47 Lapua with 38.6 gr H4350, CCI450 and gotten very good results.

Due to the powder shortages, I’m looking at StaBall 6.5. Does anyone have real world experience with the temperature sensitivity?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. I’ve loaded 6x47 Lapua with 38.6 gr H4350, CCI450 and gotten very good results.

Due to the powder shortages, I’m looking at StaBall 6.5. Does anyone have real world experience with the temperature sensitivity?
If you are having temperature sensitivity problems, it's not your powder... its weak ignition.
Try forming cases from large primer brass like 22-250 or 6XC.

What kind of brass life are people seeing with 6.5L necked down to 6.0L using Lapua brass?

What kind of brass life are people seeing with 6.5L necked down to 6.0L using Lapua brass?

20-30 reloads on a case, unless you are running them hot. They do get either split necks or e v e n t u a l l y show signs of seperation at the web, but in both Lapua flavors they are extremely durable, with occasional annealing and minimum bump on the shoulder when full length sizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TapRackBang
20-30 reloads on a case, unless you are running them hot. They do eventually get either split necks or e v e n t u a l l y show signs of seperation at the web, but in both Lapua flavors they are extremely durable, with occasional annealing and minimum bump on the shoulder when full length sizing.
Thanks wasn’t sure and appreciate the info looking to go 6mm and I have lots of 6.5L brass or the other option is go 6BR.

I anneal every 5 reloads and am going on 18 firings on my brass without losing a single case to split necks or loose primer pockets. I run a mild load and the primer pockets are just starting to feel "normal" compared to very tight pockets when I started.

Setting up a slow 6mm for my wife to shoot prs this year. Wanted br speeds but better feeding/ejection.

H4831sc 42.5gr
105jlk at the lands
2810fps 3.3sd over 10 shots

Tight little knot of a group and this was shots 15-25. Definitely shows potential to do what I’m wanting

Reactions: 117D-RTO and DIBBS
Setting up a slow 6mm for my wife to shoot prs this year. Wanted br speeds but better feeding/ejection.

H4831sc 42.5gr
105jlk at the lands
2810fps 3.3sd over 10 shots

Tight little knot of a group and this was shots 15-25. Definitely shows potential to do what I’m wanting
Just checking in to see how this worked out for you, about to spin up another barrel and wanted to run this one slower.

I just picked up my 6x47 from the smith, and am planning to get some slower loads going. I've been shooting 6 BRA for the last year with excellent results using a 105 Hybrid at 2773 FPS.

I've seen a couple of guys in this thread talk about it, but not seeing a lot of "after" posts. I've got 16lbs of h4350, about 1500 112 Match Burners for practice, and 1k of the DTACs.

Any results from anyone in the 2800-2880 FPS area with h4350? I'd have to drop to 36gr or something is my guess to get a decent slow load goin.

I just picked up my 6x47 from the smith, and am planning to get some slower loads going. I've been shooting 6 BRA for the last year with excellent results using a 105 Hybrid at 2773 FPS.

I've seen a couple of guys in this thread talk about it, but not seeing a lot of "after" posts. I've got 16lbs of h4350, about 1500 112 Match Burners for practice, and 1k of the DTACs.

Any results from anyone in the 2800-2880 FPS area with h4350? I'd have to drop to 36gr or something is my guess to get a decent slow load goin.
That would be about right. I ran 36.8 with DTACs to get 2840ish with peterson brass. I'll be running 6x47 again this year with the same bullets you have and will be running in the mid 2800s. It should shoot really good running slower than the old way of thinking. Good luck

Reactions: rothgyr
I did a couple more hours of googling and found some load data on Accurate Shooter suggesting 37ish of the h4350 and DTACs at close to 2850 (extrapolating on someone's super light load), and 39.5 for the 2950 load. Seems like all the posts in the last decade were around trying to get as high a velocity as possible. "Couldn't get up to speed" is super common across the threads out there, and "speed" must have referred to 3050 fps or something. I have zero intention of pushing my bullets in the barrel torcher high nodes. I'll post results once I get my loads shot, and my barrel speeds up.

Anyone using Shooters World Precision rifle in their 6x47 Lapua handloads?

Anyone using Shooters World Precision rifle in their 6x47 Lapua handloads?
32.5 grains behind a 105 Nosler blem. I made them for a little fun shoot at 2MOA steel between 200 and 500 yards. I ended up having some left over and was making hits on a reduced silhouette at 1K.

Some compare it to Varget and 4064, and I would agree in how it performs in the 6x47.

So I went through the whole thread and noticed most twists are 1:8 or 1:7.5. I'm planning to get an osprey barrel from PVA in 6x47 with a .110 FB which they recommended for the 115 DTACs I have. That being said, their 6mm barrels are all 1:7. Is that too fast for this or should I be just fine?

I have a micron precision sizing die and peterson brass on hand. Looking for RL16 right now.

So I went through the whole thread and noticed most twists are 1:8 or 1:7.5. I'm planning to get an osprey barrel from PVA in 6x47 with a .110 FB which they recommended for the 115 DTACs I have. That being said, their 6mm barrels are all 1:7. Is that too fast for this or should I be just fine?

I have a micron precision sizing die and peterson brass on hand. Looking for RL16 right now.

1:7 is the best option for 115 DTACs. That way they are fully stabilized and you are getting the max BC out of them. That is what i shoot with DTACs in 1000 Fclass. I get from 2k to 2.5k rounds per barrel

I’ve had good luck with 1:7 twists with 105, 109 hybrids and 115 Dtacs,

1:7 is the best option for 115 DTACs. That way they are fully stabilized and you are getting the max BC out of them. That is what i shoot with DTACs in 1000 Fclass. I get from 2k to 2.5k rounds per barrel
What brass are you using? I've heard some folks say that the peterson is a little thick in the neck wall.

What brass are you using? I've heard some folks say that the peterson is a little thick in the neck wall.

I started out with Lapua so once i reduced the neck, i turned the necks. Then i got some Peterson and the necks were thicker than my turned necks so i turned them also. I didn’t have to because they chambered perfectly. But i use a honed Forster sizing die and needed neck consistency.

David

I started out with Lapua so once i reduced the neck, i turned the necks. Then i got some Peterson and the necks were thicker than my turned necks so i turned them also. I didn’t have to because they chambered perfectly. But i use a honed Forster sizing die and needed neck consistency.

David
If I am having my chambered with a no neck turn reamer(PVA is doing it) and using peterson brass and a die that isnt mapped 100% on my chamber(the micron precision die) i probably don't need to neck turn, correct? Making sure I dont need to buy more gear haha

If I am having my chambered with a no neck turn reamer(PVA is doing it) and using peterson brass and a die that isnt mapped 100% on my chamber(the micron precision die) i probably don't need to neck turn, correct? Making sure I dont need to buy more gear haha

I can’t help you here. I turn all my necks for best concentricity of the loaded round and uniform let off of the bullet. My chamber was SAMMI. I didneed to turn, I chose to turn them all

David

I can’t help you here. I turn all my necks for best concentricity of the loaded round and uniform let off of the bullet. My chamber was SAMMI. I didneed to turn, I chose to turn them all

David
To my knowledge the 6x47 is not saami nor cip standardized, just a wildcat.