• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

50 yards Anschutz 1710 HB, XLR chassis 23" barrel, 65 degrees F 5300' alt. inside. Weaver 36x fixed scope. Barrel Tuner install and test for best nodes. Made the tuner out of 6061 aluminum with 1.375 x 20 threading, total weight almost 13oz. Was a fun lathe project.

Put a barrel tuner on the rifle, needed to find a good node setting. Take a look at Varmint Al's excellent 22 tuner page for more info on using tuners: http://www.varmintal.com/a22lr.htm Great for a bench gun, maybe not so much for other matches.

Started here at a setting of zero and worked up to .650" in .025" increments. Promising groups at .150" and .550" led to further testing around those values, with .540" being the eventual winner after shooting nearly a full brick of Center-X over 3 hours. Just showing the first and final targets to save lot of in-between targets. It was interesting to see how the tuner changes moved the groups around the aim point and opened or closed them up.

Starting target for tune at zero:

final tune setting testing page with an outstanding .072" group at .540" tuner setting for an average of .131"! :

F3Fs3cl.jpg

Last edited:
Holy smokes! That is an excellent target no matter if it was shot indoors, great shooting!

I have everyone up to date on the results I think, if I missed anyone lately pease don’t hesitate to let me know and Ill get on it.

Tiger Shilone, How much do you think shooting indoors improved your group size? Never had the chance but have always wanted to?
GREAT shooting by the way!!!

Tiger Shilone, How much do you think shooting indoors improved your group size? Never had the chance but have always wanted to?
GREAT shooting by the way!!!
No wind = accurate measure of the rifle's capabilities.

Wind is ALWAYS blowing in Colorado, so shooting indoors was a nice break. 2 weeks ago at an outdoor ARA rimfire match I was having to hold off over an inch to hit center targets and the wind (5-16+ MPH as measured on wind anemometer at bench) would switch from 10 o clock to 2 o clock unpredictably with nasty results on the target card if you missed the wind change. To be honest I wasn't 100% dead sure where my zero POA/POI was on any of my rifles that I took to the indoor range. It's nice to have an accurate baseline.

Vudoo and Anschutz were shot off a rest and the 10/22 off bags. I intend to take the 10/22 back to that range with a larger mag scope and a PMACA chassis to see if there is improvement to be made

So to answer your question, shooting indoors was a huge advantage for my group sizes, the lane rental cost was well worth it.

50 yard indoor range:

Typical bench set up for ARA, note wind flag and anemometer on bench:

typical colorado day at the range, see the target backer that has broke loose flipping in the wind. This 3P Appleseed clinic was cancelled about 1/2 hour after this was taken as the entire target card line was ripped down by the wind and blowing sand started jamming up actions:

Last edited:
CZ 455 with Keystone 24" barrel and BScar 2 stage trigger set to 6 ounces. 10-40 Argos scope set at 32x. Ammo was Lapua X-Act.
Nice, I hope I can get in on the next group buy... if there is another one. How does it shoot with peasant ammo like SK?

Nice, I hope I can get in on the next group buy... if there is another one. How does it shoot with peasant ammo like SK?

It actually shot very nicely with CCI Standard. In my first test 6 groups averaged .321. SK Pistol Match averaged .297. Eley Edge and Lapua Pistol King shot relatively poorly, with .460 and .366. R-50 was all over the place and I didn't bother to measure it. I used SK Standard to sight in the new scope but I didn't shoot a proper 6x5 target with it. 5 groups with it measured .455 but it was only that low because of one .197 group. The rest ranged from .421 to .615. It just wasn't consistent.

Reactions: BigTex
Great shoot A-Rob. If the rest of the rifles they did shoot as great as that, they hit a gold mine. I can see alot of 457 owners going that path.

Great shoot A-Rob. If the rest of the rifles they did shoot as great as that, they hit a gold mine. I can see alot of 457 owners going that path.

I think that with a tuner like a PRXIII it will probably shoot just as good as anything out there. With the barrel and trigger it doesn't give up any ground to rifles costing 2x as much, IMO.

Shoot today 6/24/29.
Weather was 65 and raining with 4-5 switching winds.
50 yards.
Ammo was Federal Ultramatch UM22
Gun: Vudoo V22 16" Kukri barrel in AIAT chassis with NF ATACR 5-25 Mil-C
Average .3033"/.5794 MOA
Smallest group .2"/.39 MOA

It is an interval timer. Beeps every 30 seconds to 90 seconds then 15 secs 10 then 5. Help me learn to Pace myself. And time management on 120 sec nrl22 stages. Don't have to worry about asking for time left.

Reactions: Mr. Z and Macca
Where are the Tikka T1X owners? I sort of use this thread as a crucible to boil off all the BS and demonstrate who makes truly good shooting 22lr rifles. Lately I see a few Annies (no surprise), lots of CZ's with some modified, a handful of Sakos and a ton of Vudoo's (also no surprise. But conspicuously absent are the Tikka owners. I spotted only two and they were well down the order. What gives? When the T1X hit the market, I was seeing several impressive 50y groups from them being posted on the T1X thread. Are they just not good enough? Somebody fill me in. I kind of like the little Tikka but have not yet been able to get my hands on one to try out. How do they compare to a CZ457 or a Savage Mkii? How do they compare to the Vudoo? in accuracy?

Reactions: jbell
I'm one of the Tikka owners. Also an Anschutz owner. Never touched the Savage or CZ. I've posted a bit on the T1x thread about what I think of the rifle. I definitely feel that right now, I'm the limiting factor with mine. I refuse to use any ammo above $5-$6/ box until that changes. I don't feel the ammo is holding it back at this point. So far, for the money invested, I don't think it can be beat. Again, no experience with the Savage or CZ. I've seen some of the targets you've posted in the past. I'm confident your aggs with this rifle would be smaller than mine.

Another 100 yard entry. Just a tiny bit better than my old one. Vudoo, Vortex 5-25X50, Midas. Smallest group .532", average .865". This shooting groups is hard work. I shot 2 others with CenterX and SK Pistol. The Midas was the best.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: A-Rob and Sledge1
CZ 455 with Keystone 24" barrel and BScar 2 stage trigger set to 6 ounces. 10-40 Argos scope set at 32x. Ammo was Lapua X-Act.
[/QUOTE]
@A-Rob do you find the high power scope helps ? i notice you didn't use it at full magnification... I ask because i'm contemplating getting a higher power scope than the 6-24 that i'm currently using. (using old eyes as an excuse :) )

OK folks, after the fantastic groups shown above please bear in mind that i'm a newbie ! In fact this is my second day with this gun.

I got a bit inspired by @Tiger_Shilone and I thought other newbies might find it interesting to see that ammo types really aren't so important before you get the fundamentals right.... (also someone needs to balance out the results shown by the really competent shooters - some of are human ;-) )

Sig Sauer 200STR.
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x50
ammo type and group sizes on each of the target images.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cuzz
for what it is worth with such a small sample set here are the ammo types sorted by group size.

and sorted by average group size

i'll try and remember to add to this over time to see if i get a clear picture when there are a significant number of results (and as my shooting gets better !)

Reactions: brianf and A-Rob
@A-Rob do you find the high power scope helps ? i notice you didn't use it at full magnification... I ask because i'm contemplating getting a higher power scope than the 6-24 that i'm currently using. (using old eyes as an excuse :) )
[/QUOTE]

Definitely helps me for that last bit of precision. My first test was with a 27x FFP scope and the crosshair was just too thick. In order to put the bullet exactly where I want for group size testing I want high power. I just kept it on 32 because it was a good balance of magnification plus ease of getting behind the scope vs. 40x. I was surprised at the ability of the Argos to focus clearly even at Max power. If not shooting for tightest groups on paper I would use a scope with maybe a 24x upper end. That's the trade-off IMO. If you want to do anything at all away from the bench, high power scopes are a definite handicap.

Also remember this was a test of the rifle, not any shooting skill by me. Everything was done off of a front mechanical rest and rear bag and I shot it free recoil, with very minimal body contact with the rifle.

Last edited:

I finally shot a 200 yard target that I'm not embarrassed to post. Average 2.708" and best group 1.962.

Vudoo, Vortex 5-25X50, SK Blue, 200 yards.

Reactions: A-Rob
I was asked to take some pictures of my Sig Sauer 200 STR - so here they are:-

This one is in .22 rather than the normal 6.5x55 that is used for competitions here in Norway.
The bipod is a Dolphin AB Carbon, it's really an F-class bipod but with it's extreme cant adjustment it works really well for the 50, 100 and 200m terrain prone shooting that i like to do.

Compare contrast to V22 please.

Sauer is a 3 lug 60 degree action with the best fire control group (safety and trigger) I have ever used. It’s a vertically operated safety super smooth and easy to operate. With an excellent 2 stage trigger with a completely adjustable shoe, very similar to the TRG trigger in feel and operation. It’s the same barreled action as a SSG3000 if you have used one of those. Mine was 100% reliable and as accurate as my Anschutz or Vudoo. You can look back at the older versions of the 6X5 to see how it shot. I truly like the Sauer as well and better in some ways than the V22. Its too bad you can’t get them in the US. Best of all the 22lr is a conversion as the rifle is a centerfire by design, change the barrel, bolt, & add a magazine adapter.

IMO the thing that sets the Vudoo apart from the rest (aside from the customer service of VGW) is the magazine being an AICS pattern and a R700SA footprint with a Remington trigger. They are so easy to configure to your liking.

Here's a picture of mine in its natural environment :)
unfortunately today it was also the natural environment to every biting insect known to man !

this is a 100m and 200m range

Went out again with the Tikka T1X, and I had 40 rounds of Eley Match Biathlon... way too expensive but I wanted to see if the rifle liked it. Since only 40 rounds, I did 10 rounds of fouling only and to zero it compared to the SK Standard.

Right now for me 25yd zero with SK Standard
100 yards =
2.2 mil up for SK Standard
1.6 mil up for Eley Match Biathlon

Tikka T1X, KRG Bravo, stock action & barrel.
Elay Precision Spring on stock trigger @ 1lb.

Avg Group Size - 0.875"
Best Group Size - 0.46"

Reactions: A-Rob and Sledge1
So I went out today and shot the 50 yards 6x5 @50yards and did a 3x5 @102 yards. I used Sk rifle match, Laupua center x, and Federal match.

As you can see from the last picture, I forgot my front rest and had to improvise with sandbags stacked on each other. The gun had approximately 300 rounds of CCI Standard through it without cleaning it. I ran the Federal Match, the SK Rifle, and Lapua in that order. 50 Yards first and then at 100. The gun was never cleaned. I did not use fouling rounds in between sets. I just shot the gun, The suppressor has had about 2k of rounds without cleaning it. They say guns are more accurate without a suppressor. For the $430 non-heavy barrel 22lr these things flat out shoot. I have Anschutz, CZ453 and 455 and savages. This is by far my favorite rimfire.

results

50 yards

SK Rifle match .339
Federal Match .585
Lapua center x .535

Best at 50 was Laupua with a .168 and SK @.18

102 yards

SK Rifle Match .912 I had a group really open up due to me using the two groups it was .683
Federal Match 1.466
Lapua Center X 1.20

best 100-yard group .556 with SK Rifle Match

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepod
So I went out today and shot the 50 yards 6x5 @50yards and did a 3x5 @102 yards. I used Sk rifle match, Laupua center x, and Federal match.

As you can see from the last picture, I forgot my front rest and had to improvise with sandbags stacked on each other. The gun had approximately 300 rounds of CCI Standard through it without cleaning it. I ran the Federal Match, the SK Rifle, and Lapua in that order. 50 Yards first and then at 100. The gun was never cleaned. I did not use fouling rounds in between sets. I just shot the gun, The suppressor has had about 2k of rounds without cleaning it. They say guns are more accurate without a suppressor. For the $430 non-heavy barrel 22lr these things flat out shoot. I have Anschutz, CZ453 and 455 and savages. This is by far my favorite rimfire.

results

50 yards

SK Rifle match .339
Federal Match .585
Lapua center x .535

102 yards

SK Rifle Match .912 I had a group really open up due to me using the two groups it was .683
Federal Match .912 I had a group really open up due to me using the two groups it was .683
Federal Match 1.466
Lapua Center X 1.20

Looks like I should get some rifle match for my rifle and see... I have 1500 rounds of SK Standard Plus left to burn through though..

Reactions: Prebanpaul

results

50 yards

SK Rifle match .339
Federal Match .585
Lapua center x .535

102 yards

Federal Match .912 I had a group really open up due to me using the two groups it was .683
Federal Match 1.466
Lapua Center X 1.20

Paul,
That is a nice shooting rifle. I have a few questions about your targets. I don’t see any 100 yard 6X5, only 3X5 correct? On the 50 yard targets I don’t see any where I can post up on the results because each target has one target with a 6th round called flyer. Not to be an ass hole but we try our very best to stick to the spirit of this thread (6 consecutively shot targets with 5 rounds each, if you have a flyer it is what it is that round counts in the group size which also counts in the target average). The last thing I am trying to figure out is on your target shot with SK ammo the bottom left target looks like you have it measured outside to outside at 0.372” and if you use the 0.224” like you did on the rest of the groups the CTC would be 0.148”, you have it as 0.018”. On the subject of measuring groups most here either use 0.222” as the bullet diameter years ago when we started this thread we had a discussion on what size to use for bullet diameter to get a CTC measurement, this is because if you measure a single bullet hole in most general paper it will be anywhere from 0.185” (rarely) up to 0.222”, hardly ever will you find paper that a single hole will be 0.224” so we settled on 0.222” to give the best group without padding anything.

Shoot us some more without shooting the flyers over and I’ll get it posted up.

I just went out and shot this for the tikka thread, and to get better. I read where someone posted that the do not see many Tikkas on here. So I figured I would post for information purposes. I will get some more sk and do another one.

I just went out and shot this for the tikka thread, and to get better. I read where someone posted that the do not see many Tikkas on here. So I figured I would post for information purposes. I will get some more sk and do another one.

Gotcha, it certainly appears to be an excellent shooter. I look forward seeing more!

Did a 10x5, as I was testing out 2 lots SK Standard Plus to see if would matter. Also shooting suppressed today to see if it would matter. First 5 shots out of the barrel were amazing and I got excited... but of course every other group would have something a little off :(

First time shooting prone as well, some fundamentals to work on. A lot of left & right wiggle from heart rate and shakiness.

T1X 100 yards
Prone
1lb trigger

Avg Group: 1.04"
Best Group: 0.54"

Slight improvement from my SK Standard Plus last week on the 6x5.

When doing bipod/bag like Rainier's picture, is your body touching the rifle or are you just lining it up and pulling the trigger? I guess if I want to rule out the shooter, I should just stick the rifle in a sled to see how well ammo/gun performs?