• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6XC by CCR (range report)

tiltonwilder

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
6XC-1b.jpg

I just got my latest rifle and can't wait to get it to the range! It is a 6XC built by Corbin Custom Rifles in Kentucky and I am really pleased with the work. It has a 28" 8 twist Kreiger with a .236 bore screwed into a trued 700 and devcon bedded in a McMillan A5 with pillars. The reamer had a .272 neck with .104 freebore for the 105-108 class bullets. I have no doubt this rifle will shoot. I haven't seen a stick David built that wouldn't. He builds rifles with a meticulous eye and a skilled hand and is a shooter himself so he knows what needs to be done to make a rifle perform. I've got some 105 scenars loaded up and can't wait to get it on paper. Now if only my PST would come in...

Re: New 6XC by CCR

Good choice on caliber... My gunsmith and a few other people have tried talking me into one of these, but I went for the 6.5x47 instead. Keep us updated on how it shoots!

You will love this round. I currently have 3 rifles chambered in it. 2 with 8 twist and 1 with a 7.5 twist. It takes 23 MOA to reach 1K, without being pointed on the 7.5 twist. Couple of weeks ago, I shot a 5 shot group at 600 yards in B/R match using my bipod and won small group at 2.142 inches shooting the SMK 107. Not the first time doing it with that rifle either. Enjoy!

Wow. I will be picking quite literally it's twin tomorrow. I had Pierce build me a Rem 700 with a Brux 28" 1-8 twist sendero contour, and it will be sitting in an A5 GAP camp stock.

Nice rifle! And great choice of caliber. I owned a BR rifle in 6XC that would shoot 5 shot groups in the .1's at 100 yards and sub 4" groups at 1000 yards.

I currently have a tactical style rifle in 6XC and it is a shooter as well.

What powder do you plan on using?

Take care,Stan

8208 and 4350. Several have reported great results with the 8208, accurate and fast with lower pressure. We'll see...

GAP built me my 1st 6xc this year, and it hammers! So far I've only experimented with 115 DTACs and RL17, and have been very happy with the results (2945fps out of a 25" Bartlein 1:7.7). I picked-up a couple pounds of 4350 to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've looked everywhere for some load data on 8208 with no luck. I want to develope a "plinking" load with it and 105 a-maxes (if they ever come back ;>).

sigman, I saw 8208 data somewhere. Maybe 6mmbr.com? Drop down 3 grains with H4350 data and work up in .5 increments perhaps???

With 105 nakeds start around 34.5 with 8208, shouldn't top out past 37 or so. Watch closely for pressure signs as it happens fast with this powder. I'll be using Norma brass, it runs $66. a hundred.

Been running 38.5 grains if H4350 in mine with Tubb Brass, 107SMK's and WLR primers. With 105 Bergers I'm at 38.2 grains and +.015" in the lands. Same seating die setting for both bullets. The 6XC just plain shoots. Nice rifle VooDoo.

Very nice looking rig congratulations. Would like to see a range
report and so info on the loads you use.

Good call on the Norma brass. I have not heard good things about the Tubb stuff. Good luck with your new build. If it shoots as good as it looks you will be a happy camper.

First trip to the range today. I was going to post the target but didn't know how you all would feel about that since I shot three shot groups. I haven't even done any load developement yet and really wanted to shoot just to zero the scope. I had twelve rounds loaded up with IMR8208 (six with 34.5 grs. and six with 35.0 grs.)using Wolf primers behind the 105 gr. Scenars. Only shot the first three and the scope was centered. Cleaned after each shot. Then fired three shot groups and cleaned. The first group (34.5 grs.) measured .205", the second group went .177" and the third was .328 (35.0 grs.) These groups all began with a clean bore, no foulers. Bullet was seated 15 thousandths off the lands for all twelve rounds. I was really shooting to clean up the throat, but at this point I'll have to admit it sure looks like this stick is going to hammer! AT

That is a good start. Especialy with each group having a clean bore...Make sure to post some targets when you have some more load development done. The 6XC is a killer cartridge.