• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7.62x51 build

tacdriver7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
Lurker out of the shadows. I need some assistance on my build
So far I have an armalite ar 10 upper assembly with the 20" 416r stainless heavy barrel.I plan on having this barrel reduced to 18 inches however I was wondering what the sacrifice in accuracy between 18" and 16" would be. The barrel will also be getting fluted and threaded for a flash supressor . I plan on using this rifle between 100 to 750 yards (if I can find a range ). My second question is does anyone make a(Quality)lower that will allow me to use mags other than the armilite mags?? they seem a little pricey. I know they are reliable but I was just qurious.I plan on a geissele trigger,a full rail system handguard, houge handall handle, magpul rps stock . Any assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Re: 7.62x51 build

Going from 18" to 16" won't make the rifle less accurate, but it will decrease the muzzle velocity, and therefore the max effective range. It will also mean you will have larger come-ups when adjusting for different ranges, and wind will have more of an impact. All of these would be more noticeable on the longer end of the ranges you said you will be shooting at, especially out past 500 yards or so. So long story short, it won't make the rifle any less inherently accurate, but it will make it harder for you to shoot the rifle as accurately, especially at longer ranges.

You will also have an increased muzzle blast and flash, which can mess up your vision in low-light situations as well as give away your position, if those are considerations for you. A flash hider will help some, but there is only so much you can do about muzzle flash on a 18", or especially a 16" .308. You can't change the fact that you are burning a significant amount of powder after the bullet has left the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: henschman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You can't change the fact that you are burning a significant amount of powder after the bullet has left the bore. </div></div>

Not to pick a fight or anything, but if he reloads, the OP can use a powder with a faster burn rate to alleviate some of the flamethrowing potential. Just throwing that out there for whatever it's worth.

Armalite's are a good piece for the money, but you pay the price when it comes to mags. The SR-25 paterned guns will win this fight IMHO. P-mags are 20.00 retail, and can be found in any gunshop worth a hoot.
Best of luck on your build, JPG

Thanks for the replies so far At first I will not be loading my own ammo I will try to find out what it likes to eat and if all else fails I will work up a loading program to eek out more accuracy if needed. I was leaning to the 18" barrel length and a muzzle break for velocitys sake .To be realistic if I need to reach out beyond 500 to 600 yards I will go to my remmy 700 xcr tactical in 300 win mag. I spoke to a person at armilite today and he was advising me at one point they were concidering a 16 in barrel length sass program bu decided not to persue it so I was interested in everyone elses opinion on the subject. as far as the lowers go I was hoping there was another option for mags but if not so be it . I have been torn between the ar 10 and dpms sass and decided to go this route hopefully not in vain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">must be a slow day for the overflow at ar15dotcom </div></div>
Not following ?? Never been to that site mabye I will check it out.

i have a NIB eagle industries (made by armalite) AR-10 lower. send me a message if you're interested in it.

Badshot thanks for the info I will check it out for sure. As you can tell this is my first ar .I am mostly a bolt gun shooter but decided to come over to the dark side
cool.gif

Slothlacrosse you got mail

X2 on what was said about the Armalite mags...at 30.00 ea if you buy 5 of them, they're not overly priced, and there isn't a better mag on the market. You can also check out 7.62sass.com for Armalite deals, and he also sells the Aero Precision AR10 lower which is an excellent alternative if you're building your own. It's as good as the Noveske lower and 100.00 less expensive. Dealing direct with Armalite is also useful. Good tech support, always good delivery times and 100% Armalite.
JMO

I have made the decision to go with an armiltie lower to keep things clean. I have been able to find lowers for around 230.I think I can manage that .I also spoke to Armilite about the factory 2nds wich are usually due to a bad anodizing job but they had none avalible at the moment . I do plan on a duracoat job on it so that would have been the best case senario.

Armalite mags are 5 for 120 IIRC. Factory armalite stripped lowers are 205 at 762sass, and they have the quad rail free float armalite handguards for 235.

I wouldn't blow a bunch of money having the barrel fluted, cut, threaded right out of the gate. Just shoot the thing. If it shoots well the most messing with it I would do is maybe install a brake.

I will have it cut to 18" and threaded for a break for sure.My smith said he would do it for $60 (good friend of mine). I was able to score a nib armilite stripped lower for 188 shipped today so woo hoo !!. I also ordered a yhm light weight rail also.I was going to go with the sws e1 but it is heavier than the yhm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silverbullet-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Armalite's are a good piece for the money, but you pay the price when it comes to mags. The SR-25 paterned guns will win this fight IMHO. P-mags are 20.00 retail, and can be found in any gunshop worth a hoot.
Best of luck on your build, JPG </div></div>

The difference in mag prices is no longer a real issue. ArmaLite Gen II's are $25 and can be found even cheaper if you look. I picked up a half dozen for $18 each, same price as Pmags and more reliable IMHO. If you want sticker shock look at prices on factory KAC or DPMS mags.

I don't think 5 -20 rd mags for 150 is that bad of a deal. I can cope with that. ordered my prs , lower assembly kit minus trigger,butt stock tube, and buffer kit today. As soon as this stuff starts arriving I will get some pics together. As for the trigger I am thinking of a geissele trigger not sure wich one. Any other opinions??? From what I understand you cant get any or much better then geissele.

I run an 18.5" Criterion barreled 308 AR.
It has been supersonic to 1000 yards, tested down to 30 deg F. @ 800' msl.
I get 2700 ft/sec with the 155 Amax, and the sierra 155 palma bullet is even better.
I need 39 MOA up from a 100 yard zero with the Amax.

Going down to 16" barrel and you will still be good to 900 yards.
You'll lose less than 100 yards of supersonic distance.
If that is a deal breaker, then go longer.
One thing about shorter barrels that should be considered:
The velocity deviations are often greater with shorter barrels, you may actually see an improvement in accuracy with the shorter barrel at shorter distances (shorter barrel is usually stiffer), you may see increased vertical spread at longer distances.
Long barrels seem to shoot tighter SD's.

The Geissele is the trigger to get.
It also has a long history of being awesome, so you know the design is solid.
I love his two stage triggers.

Thanks for the info Hamilton I Have decided on 18". It needs to be accurate out to 600 to 700 yards . Anything beyond that I will be shooting my bolt gun in 300 win ,mag. I am not sure which trigger I was thinking of, the ssa,ssa-e or s2s I don't know much about them to tell wich would be the better for my application. Mostly hunting and target shooting .The twist on my barrel is 1:11.25 so I am thinking of a 146 to 148 grain for accuracy purposes due to the twist of the barrel. I think a heavier gran with that twist would not be as accurate.

Little update I have all of my parts together with the exception of the trigger . I have decided on the geissele national match dmr model. I am waiting for the ar 10 vise block and wrench to arrive to disasemble jonny 5 so I can send the barrel out for cutting threading and fluting.

1:11.25 barrel will usually stabilize bullets up to 180 or 190gr. 175gr SMK usually shoot really good out of that twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow stalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little update I have all of my parts together with the exception of the trigger . I have decided on the geissele national match dmr model. I am waiting for the ar 10 vise block and wrench to arrive to disasemble jonny 5 so I can send the barrel out for cutting threading and fluting. </div></div>

The DMR is an amazing trigger.

It amazes me every time I pull the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooper_257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1:11.25 barrel will usually stabilize bullets up to 180 or 190gr. 175gr SMK usually shoot really good out of that twist. </div></div>

Cooper thanks for the info. I have been thinking a lighter 168 grain but if it will shoot the heavier 175-190's that opens me up to more combinations

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow stalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little update I have all of my parts together with the exception of the trigger . I have decided on the geissele national match dmr model. I am waiting for the ar 10 vise block and wrench to arrive to disasemble jonny 5 so I can send the barrel out for cutting threading and fluting. </div></div>

The DMR is an amazing trigger.

It amazes me every time I pull the trigger. </div></div>
I'm glad to hear that I was going to go with the ssae but after speaking with then I think for the extra 80 bucks the adjustibility is well worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-11.25 spins my 175g smk outstanding </div></div>

agreed, so does mine.

That's where I will start thanks for the input.Are you loading or using a match grade or bulk??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow stalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">must be a slow day for the overflow at ar15dotcom </div></div>
Not following ?? Never been to that site mabye I will check it out.</div></div>

Ugh, the further down you get, the more the 11.25 is spinning...eject eject!

Update ,ordered trigger, waiting on upper vise block and barrel nut wrench to arrive to send barrel out for smithing . Still waiting on rail to arrive .

Update, Barrel out and sent for smithing hopefully back next week. Still do not have rail??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">must be a slow day for the overflow at ar15dotcom </div></div>

Classic. Never did like that site.

it may be too late but doesnt MEGA makes a lower that fits armalite pattern but takes magpul mags?

Update Ended up sending the barrel to Clint Butler at heavy buffers he did a awesome job on it lightened it up alot and cut it to 18" re crowned and threaded .Ordered a sws E1 rail and national match dmr trigger .I will be puting some pics up soon so all of you can give me some ideas of what you think so far. Due to the cost of the build so far I think my glass will be millett bk81008 4-16x50 trs gen 2. Thoughts on this piece??

For your vewing pleasure.
My sws E1 and trigger are in as welll will get pics tomorrow . Then pics of the mock up and then the fun begins . A 6 color duracoat camo job of my own design .
DSC03514.jpg

DSC03513.jpg

DSC03509.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

DSC03512.jpg

DSC03513.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow stalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For your vewing pleasure. </div></div>

All I see is a Photobucket message saying images were moved or deleted.

Fixed Mocked up to make sure all components fit before duracoat enjoy.
IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4521-1.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

Update in line for the duracoat should be finished by the end of next week.

That's a good looking stick.
What did your final price come to for your AR10 DIY-build?
Can't wait to see it camo'd and the range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slick rifle! </div></div>
Thanks can't wait for the camo job to be finished!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Korruptor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good looking stick.
What did your final price come to for your AR10 DIY-build?
Can't wait to see it camo'd and the range report. </div></div>
I spared no exspense on this build and got what I was after the first time so Including glass I would say around 3k. I don't think I did that bad but the range report will tell all...

So I finnaly got a call from my smith/ duracoter saying my rifle is finished and since it took so long he had a suprise for me at his cost .This is what I found when I got there
IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

I said Sweet but what do you have for me?? He said go back up front for a minute . After a couple of minutes he said ok come see .
IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

Still have to get my stamp and get it dura coated to match the rifle but that completes this build. My next step is waiting on tubbs tms to arrive to break it in and do a range report..