• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $700 scope comparison

Yeah, and I only got 2 with limited problems out of fucking 8 that they sent me. The others had massive problems. And they kept sending me scopes with glass problems knowing that they had problems by their own admission.

Read this thread to see.

Were they 1-10's. Seems like most brands have issues with mag range.

I thought Meopta actually made scopes for Zeiss previously.
No, that was a rumor, and i'm convinced it was part of a much larger disinformation campaign that got started like 20-odd years ago. And with the reputation people had towards the old Conquest line, it apparently worked. Because those were great scopes, but lots of people overlooked them. I even heard some folks ask me, "Aren't those made in China???" And then I showed them the box where it says "Assembled in the USA"... And they were like, "Huh... Let me see it..." and then they'd look through it and realize it was a nice scope.

I mainly contribute this to the average stupidity and herd mentality among humans, but also the average hunter is a moron that listens more to what his hunting buddies and tradition told them, as to be the absolute truth, compared to what the truth actually is. Meeting your average hunter when I worked at the gun store really opened my eyes to just how much BS and disinformation and Fuddlore is spread amongst the industry and hunters. It also was the reason I stopped hunting public land, because I realized just how many morons were running around with guns out there for a $16 a year hunting license... I'm not getting shot/shot at to save some money per year and hunt public land. I'll just hunt friends and family's private land when I get invited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scopeye
https://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2621

“The very popular, though now discontinued, original Zeiss Conquest series of scopes were made by Meopta and continue to live on in Meopta’s lineup as the Meopta Meopro scopes”
Well... Big Jim is fucking wrong. They were NOT made by Meopta... Some of the internal parts were (not including the glass). The damn scopes say "Assembled in USA" on them...Meopta is made in Czech Republic...Not America. I was told directly by Zeiss that the Conquest MC parts were made in Europe and shipped to the USA for final assembly. We had a HUGE debate thread going about it on LRH, and I contacted Zeiss directly to get the final truth on the matter. This was probably 10 years ago when that thread happened.

Last edited:
Here’s another thread where people cite conversations They had directly with Zeiss. So maybe a little bit of a gray area because Meopta and Zeiss both had a hand in the Conquest scopes.🤷‍♂️ I don’t really care, just find it interesting.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nt-zeiss-conquest-scopes-still-made-by-meopta
Ironically, that's exactly what I've been saying... 🤔 And no, I've never been a member there, so that's not me. 😂

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Stiff parallax and zoom and also not quiet. You know like how some scopes sound and feel like fine dust or sand inside when you twist the knobs.
I must say this seems like an odd assessment based on your prior evaluations. I’m surprised to see you make such negative remarks about the company from what sounds like one XTR Pro scope. Just my opinion. I have no affiliation but do own one and just sold an XTRIIIi 5.5-30. The Pro does appear to have better glass and turrets and mag ring are similar IMO.

For the Meopta fans out there. Why is the Optika 6 4.5x27 so much cheaper than the 5x30? Not that much difference..
Bringing this question to the end of the line. Trying to figure out the $400 difference in the MSRP for these two apparently similar scopes.

I must say this seems like an odd assessment based on your prior evaluations. I’m surprised to see you make such negative remarks about the company from what sounds like one XTR Pro scope. Just my opinion. I have no affiliation but do own one and just sold an XTRIIIi 5.5-30. The Pro does appear to have better glass and turrets and mag ring are similar IMO.
I may appear overly critical due to $2300 MSRP and $2000-$1800 street price (depends where you buy them from) for it directly comparing physical moving parts feel and overall build quality vs Nightforce NX8, Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2, Tract Toric ELR, and the much cheaper Meopta Optika 6 currently on sale for only $699.99. The XTR PRO does have nice glass which is equal to and slightly better than some and has an excellent huge wide angle view but the much cheaper Meopta Optika 5 and Optika 6 with narrower FOV by comparison have similar quality glass. Value per dollar just doesn't do it for me that's all while a night and day superior game changing Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 could be bought for around the same price of the Burris XTR PRO.

For the Meopta fans out there. Why is the Optika 6 4.5x27 so much cheaper than the 5x30? Not that much difference..
30mm vs 34mm tube and 50mm vs 56mm front objective are their main differences right there and their price gap reflects this fact and of course there's a noticeable weight difference. Also 24MIL/84MOA(their published specs) vs 32MIL/110MOA total elevation travel reflects the 30mm vs 34mm tubes.

I personally usually prefer lighter weight scopes and as long as they have around 22-25MIL or 75-85MOA of total elevation travel in a 30 oz or less scope but the lighter the better.

Bringing this question to the end of the line. Trying to figure out the $400 difference in the MSRP for these two apparently similar scopes.
MSRP price difference is $250. $999.99 vs $1249.99. I think it's not too bad considering they use the exact same quality glass.

"Optika6 4.5-27x50 RD FFP – Meopta" https://meopta.store/products/meopro-optika6-4-5-27x50-rd-ffp?variant=32007472513110

"Optika6 5-30x56 RD FFP – Meopta" https://meopta.store/products/meopro-optika6-5-30x56-ffp

There's more than $400 MSRP price difference between the Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 30mm and Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 34mm but the ETR uses slightly better UHD glass but IMHO, it's still overpriced even when the ETRs goes on sale and don't recommend buying the ETRs based on price to value ratio and most importantly their country of manufacture is still CHINA while the superior Meopta Optika 6 can be bought for way cheaper. Maybe if the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 went on sale down to $600-$650 it may be worth buying IMHO based on the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 selling for $565.49 and unless you have both of them side by side you won't notice the difference in slightly better image quality on full magnification. The Meopta 34mm for $699.99 sure makes buying the Ares ETR pretty much ridiculously expensive buy if you ask me.

Last edited:
6 1-10s and 2 4-18s or whatever the other ETR is.
Looks like even the best of the best top of the line overpriced Chinese Athlon Ares ETR scopes still may go through serious QC problems. I personally would never recommend buying Athlon's overpriced Chinese ETR line even when the go on sale even before I read about your problems I was convinced by 2 different Athlon dealers not to buy the 4.5-30x56 ETR and got the Cronus instead for a little extra money and at least they're made in JAPAN by LOW for added piece of mind. I'd be willing to buy an Ares ETR 3-18x and 4.5-30x if they go on sale for $500-$550 3-18x and $600-$650 4.5-30x though. Whenever buying stuff made in China best to pay as little money as possible for them.

Well... Big Jim is fucking wrong. They were NOT made by Meopta... Some of the internal parts were (not including the glass). The damn scopes say "Assembled in USA" on them...Meopta is made in Czech Republic...Not America. I was told directly by Zeiss that the Conquest MC parts were made in Europe and shipped to the USA for final assembly. We had a HUGE debate thread going about it on LRH, and I contacted Zeiss directly to get the final truth on the matter. This was probably 10 years ago when that thread happened.
Just like higher end Nightforce sourcing parts from LOW in Japan and assembled in USA.

Zeiss sourced parts in Europe assembled in the USA. Czech republic is part of Europe. What's interesting is some members claim that Meoptas are made in China but I really find it extremely hard to believe since their glass is unbelievably clear and not even the Athlon Ares ETR is as clear which is the best Chinese glass that I know of.

The only 'pass down to your kids' scope in this discussion so far has been the Burris XTR3. Meopta is a Euro company that just got bought out, who knows what their future is. Athlon is a China corp.... I really would not bank on forever being able to buy/service firearms parts from a Chinese company for a whole host of reasons.

The Burris is a tank with good glass.

Athlon Optics is an American corp not a China corp and founded by some experienced former Bushnell executives. They source their products mostly from China and their higher end Chinese stuff with at least HD glass are worth buying but only when they go on sale for cheap and I can never recommend paying regular prices for them though since they're still made in China and recommend avoiding their ETR line unless you can buy them on sale for at least half of their typical street prices.

I'd also recommend avoiding their Athlon Argos BTR scopes specifically the 6-24x50 due to extremely terrible (NON HD) glass quality. The similarly priced Bushnell Engage 6-24x50 and much cheaper 4-16x44 Engage FFP illuminated MRAD on sale at EuroOptic and Scopelist with free shipping for $299.99 absolutely smokes it in every possible way (clearer than the Match Pro and Match Pro ED believe it or not) except for the Bushnell iron clad warranty that Bushnell may not even honor when that time comes and their scopes with electronics illuminated reticles auto shut off timers only have a limited 5 year iron clad Bushnell warranty though they might trick customers into believing they're lifetime when they're in fact only for 5 years. I'd even choose the shitty Arken EPL4 $299-$329 on sale even before ever recommending buying a crappy Athlon Argos which is even shittier than the Vortex Diamondback Tactical and cheaper Swampfox Patriot branded version of the Vortex.

Midas Tac 6-24x50 when they go on sale for $450 or and Ares BTR G2 currently on sale for $565.49 both I can personally highly recommend but I ly when they go on sale at these prices and never pay full regular street prices their rip off prices IMHO and remember they may be the best in class and punch way above their price points but they're still made in China.

I may appear overly critical due to $2300 MSRP and $2000-$1800 street price (depends where you buy them from) for it directly comparing physical moving parts feel and overall build quality vs Nightforce NX8, Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2, Tract Toric ELR, and the much cheaper Meopta Optika 6 currently on sale for only $699.99. The XTR PRO does have nice glass which is equal to and slightly better than some and has an excellent huge wide angle view but the much cheaper Meopta Optika 5 and Optika 6 with narrower FOV by comparison have similar quality glass. Value per dollar just doesn't do it for me that's all while a night and day superior game changing Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 could be bought for around the same price of the Burris XTR PRO.
MSRP is a joke. I paid $1400 not long ago in the PX for an XTR Pro. I appreciate your opinion and comparison to Optika 5 and 6. I don’t have experience with either. It does seem hard to believe the glass quality is similar on an Optika 5 to the XTR Pro. I would think there would be a lot of other folks echoing that if true. I have read good things about the Optika 6 but then again, the vast majority of reviews of the Pro are glowing as well. I’m all for spending less if quality is the same. “Similar” is tricky though. That means different things to different people. My PMII had similar glass to my ZCOs. Both absolutely usable and excellent quality. The ZCOs are hands down clearer glass and superior scopes, IMO. I like everything about them more. 🍻

Reactions: FuhQ
Ok. Here’s my opinion on the scopes I have in. It’s extremely amateur, but here we go.

In order of price- low to high

Athelon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50
Very difficult to get adjusted/get your eye just right. somewhat cheaper feeling. Probably the least light-gathering on this list, but REALLY impressive clarity. I tested all 4 scopes here on a 3 inch pine cone at 120 yards (just something I could see from my porch). With the Zeiss and Trijicon, I could tell that it was a pine cone and maybe count the scales if I really tried, but it was a bit blurry around the edges. With the Athelon, the image was crisp and I could see the little dark spots where bugs had eaten holes in the scales. If I were shooting from a bench, and not worried about the fact that it’s Chinese, this would be a great pick. For hunting, it just feels too finicky. Even with long-range hunting, you only have so much time to play with adjustments and get your eye lined up. Surprising clarity, though.

Trijicon 10-Mile 6x24x50.
this is a very user-friendly scope. Lightweight, but really solid feeling. Easy eyebox, parallelex has yardage marks that are accurate, which is one less thing to mess with when lining up a shot. Only gripe I have is the lack of zero stop. I can work with it, though. LOVE the LED dot at the center of the crosshair, it’s distinctly different that any other type of illumination I’ve seen. It’s insanely bright, but doesn’t wash out the image around it - it immediately draws your eye to where it needs to go and gives you confidence you’re on target. Light/glass is…just good. As in slightly better than the cheap vortex viper 6.5x20x44 that I have on there now. Not bad, just not impressive. That red dot though..

Zeiss V4 6x24x50
Not blown away. The only thing I like about this is the darker crosshair color (like a very ink black, that contrast against the background). Image quality/brightness is on par with the trijicon, but not any better (i was surprised about that). Parallelex isn’t marked for distance, which is annoying for me. Overall, it’s on par with the trijicon, but doesn’t have anything particularly impressive about it. I expected a bit more for the price..

Burris XTRIII 5.5x30x46 (SCR2 reticle)
Whoever recommended this scope, we are not friends anymore. This is a whole new level of optics I didn’t know existed. You are personally responsible for whatever happens to my bank account. When I scoped the pine cone mentioned above, it was like I was holding the the cone in my hand. Like I could SMELL it. Even at low light I could pick out every detail, and the depth renders so well I could not just see the bug holes, I could tell you how deep they were and what angles they went off on. It easily adds 15 minutes of visibility past what I’d get from the Zeiss. The reticle contrasts so well I can see it fine right up to dusk without illumination. Oh, and it feels like a tank. It’s easy and quick to dial in. The eyebox is not quite as easy as the trijicon, but way better than the Athelon. The illuminated reticle is the only thing that didn’t blow me away. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not as cool as the red dot in the trijicon. My only gripe is that it weighs a million pounds and costs twice as much as the other scopes on this list.

So at this point the Athelon and Zeiss are out. The Burris and Trijicon are in. I like them for very different reasons. The Burris is out of my price range, so I’d have to hunt with my crappy Vortex for a season or two while saving up. Might be worth it, though..

Also getting in a Meopta Optica 6 5x30x56 tomorrow. Will compare it with the Burris. I’m hoping it’s almost as good, cause I can actually afford it. I have no problem with Czeck products. Starting to think there’s a limit to the image quality you can get out of a 30mm scope, since both 34mm scopes I’ve tried thus far have been much more clear. That much of an improvement is worth the extra weight to me.

THIS is the Meopta Koshkin DLO MRAD1 horseshoe reticle in the Optika 6 4.5-27x50 I just recommend currently on sale for $674.97 at Sportsman's with free shipping.
I took a look at that one. Sportsman’s does not allow returns on discounted items, so I wasn’t willing to roll the dice..

Ok. Here’s my opinion on the scopes I have in. It’s extremely amateur, but here we go.

Zeiss V4 6x24x50
Not blown away. The only thing I like about this is the darker crosshair color (like a very ink black, that contrast against the background). Image quality/brightness is on par with the trijicon, but not any better (i was surprised about that). Parallelex isn’t marked for distance, which is annoying for me. Overall, it’s on par with the trijicon, but doesn’t have anything particularly impressive about it. I expected a bit more for the price..

Whoever recommended this scope, we are not friends anymore. This is a whole new level of optics I didn’t know existed. You are personally responsible for whatever happens to my bank account. When I scoped the pine cone mentioned above, it was like I was holding the the cone in my hand. Like I could SMELL it. Even at low light I could pick out every detail, and the depth renders so well I could not just see the bug holes, I could tell you how deep they were and what angles they went off on. It easily adds 15 minutes of visibility past what I’d get from the Zeiss. The reticle contrasts so well I can see it fine right up to dusk without illumination. Oh, and it feels like a tank. It’s easy and quick to dial in. The eyebox is not quite as easy as the trijicon, but way better than the Athelon. The illuminated reticle is the only thing that didn’t blow me away. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not as cool as the red dot in the trijicon. My only gripe is that it weighs a million pounds and costs twice as much as the other scopes on this list.
I’m surprised that you didn’t care for the Zeiss if you liked the Burris, since all my samples of each seem to have very equal quality glass & clarity. But, everyone’s eyes are different. Maybe you got a bad one? 🤷🏼 It is possible from time to time with anything man-made.

If you liked the XTR-III, you won’t find better in the price range. Overall (mechanically + optically) it is on a whole different level than all the others you have looked at, being that it has a nearly $2K MSRP, and typically sells for about $1,500 at most places. I have the exact same scope you tested, and came to the same conclusion. It’s an exceptional scope.

IMG_8875.jpeg

I took a look at that one. Sportsman’s does not allow returns on discounted items, so I wasn’t willing to roll the dice..
Wow I hadn't realized that they had a NO returns policy. Unfortunately nobody else even comes close to that sale price. Why not buy from Midway USA totally risk free and hassle free at regular price just to try out for up to 90 days (which has been their policy for a very long time this is why they're so successful) with free returns? As soon as you decide if you like it, order one from Sportsman's (before their sale ends or run out of stock) and just return the Midway USA one.

Noticed you didn't like the Zeiss and thought it was comparable to the Trijicon Tenmile while the Athlon Ares BTR G2 had superior image quality which actually didn't surprise me at all.

I also noticed that the Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 BTR G2 is also clearer than even the Japan made $1000 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 as well and Japan made $1294 Tract Toric 4-20x50 with German Schott glass and had about the same neck and neck optical quality as the way more expensive $1499 Japan made Element Optics Nexus 5-20x50.

How does the Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 compare to the more than double the price and much heavier Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 when comparing them side by side looking at their image quality at high magnification?

The Meopta Optika 6 has significantly better image quality on high magnification in fact all magnification compared to the Athlon Ares BTR G2.

I don't have a Burris XTR3 but compared to the way more expensive Burris XTR PRO, the glass is really close compared to the Meopta and the XTR PRO is supposed to have superior glass vs the XTR3.

If not, I feel kind of stupid spending way more money for the XTR PRO just for the oversized race dials if the cheaper XTR3 is practically the same scope without the huge dials.

If anyone reading this has a Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 and Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 to compare side by side how do their glass/ image quality compare on their high magnification?

Is the Burris XTR PRO worth the extra $600 premium over the XTR3?

I’m surprised that you didn’t care for the Zeiss if you liked the Burris, since all my samples of each seem to have very equal quality glass & clarity. But, everyone’s eyes are different. Maybe you got a bad one? 🤷🏼 It is possible from time to time with anything man-made.

If you liked the XTR-III, you won’t find better in the price range. Overall (mechanically + optically) it is on a whole different level than all the others you have looked at, being that it has a nearly $2K MSRP, and typically sells for about $1,500 at most places. I have the exact same scope you tested, and came to the same conclusion. It’s an exceptional scope.

View attachment 8261060
Is the XTR PRO actually worth the $600 premium over the XTR3? I don't have an XTR3 and just wondering if I got hosed buying the PRO instead that's all.

I had the 4.5-27 and the 5-30. I did not care for the reticle on the 4.5-27, I didn’t care for no wind holds inside the circle. I know it’s more of a cross over scope for hunting, so I sold it it and picked up the 5-30. I had several different scopes at the time and non of the compared to the meopta optically. I have the xtr 3 currently but didn’t have it when I had the meopta, I will have a chance to compare them side by side because my buddy wanted my meopta so I sold it to him. I don’t expect the Burris to be superior in the glass but who knows. But for the price you can get the meopta compared to the Burris, it’s already scoring more points.

With all the choices given, why not buy them all and compare them for yourself with a plan to only keep the one you like the best (that you really think is worth the money you spent) and return the rest for a refund?

Maxing out a credit card works. You're not going to be paying for the entire amount since most will be credited back via refunds.

That’s a douchebag move to do and suggest. The retailer has to take a hit selling an open box optic at that point because the consumer is too fucking lazy to do research and make a decision or to go somewhere and put hands on different models. Then other consumers have to receive product that you’ve fucked with.

I paid $350 difference for the Pro and feel the glass is a little better. The IIIi had had was really good to me though. I buy from the PX mostly. I don’t care for the red but whatever. I really like the turret feel and large numbers on both.

I'm guessing you were looking through them all at max power. The Athlon is finicky at max power, dial it back a bit and it's much easier. The Burris is better but twice the price. I prefer the SCR reticle which is a little thicker and doesn't have the tree for a hunting reticle.

In order of price- low to high

Athelon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50
Very difficult to get adjusted/get your eye just right. somewhat cheaper feeling. Probably the least light-gathering on this list, but REALLY impressive clarity. I tested all 4 scopes here on a 3 inch pine cone at 120 yards (just something I could see from my porch). With the Zeiss and Trijicon, I could tell that it was a pine cone and maybe count the scales if I really tried, but it was a bit blurry around the edges. With the Athelon, the image was crisp and I could see the little dark spots where bugs had eaten holes in the scales. If I were shooting from a bench, and not worried about the fact that it’s Chinese, this would be a great pick. For hunting, it just feels too finicky. Even with long-range hunting, you only have so much time to play with adjustments and get your eye lined up. Surprising clarity, though.

Trijicon 10-Mile 6x24x50.
this is a very user-friendly scope. Lightweight, but really solid feeling. Easy eyebox, parallelex has yardage marks that are accurate, which is one less thing to mess with when lining up a shot. Only gripe I have is the lack of zero stop. I can work with it, though. LOVE the LED dot at the center of the crosshair, it’s distinctly different that any other type of illumination I’ve seen. It’s insanely bright, but doesn’t wash out the image around it - it immediately draws your eye to where it needs to go and gives you confidence you’re on target. Light/glass is…just good. As in slightly better than the cheap vortex viper 6.5x20x44 that I have on there now. Not bad, just not impressive. That red dot though..

Zeiss V4 6x24x50

So at this point the Athelon and Zeiss are out. The Burris and Trijicon are in. I like them for very different reasons. The Burris is out of my price range, so I’d have to hunt with my crappy Vortex for a season or two while saving up. Might be worth it, though..

Also getting in a Meopta Optica 6 5x30x56 tomorrow. Will compare it with the Burris. I’m hoping it’s almost as good, cause I can actually afford it. I have no problem with Czeck products. Starting to think there’s a limit to the image quality you can get out of a 30mm scope, since both 34mm scopes I’ve tried thus far have been much more clear. That much of an improvement is worth the extra weight to me.
Clarity has nothing to do with whether they have 34mm or 30mm tubes. The difference in tube diameter is for more elevation travel and not for image quality. The larger 50mm vs 56mm from objective lens does play a part of light gathering capabilities in regards to overall brightness but not necessarily for clarity either.

I see you have only one 34mm scope whole you mentioned you have two. Which one is the other 34mm scope?

If you need lighter weight 34mm scopes then the lightest ones that I know of within a reasonable budget (well under $1000) is the Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 at around 28oz with German Schott glass which is literally the same scope as the nearly double the price $900 Vector Optics Continental 34mm twin. Optics Planet has a free returns policy within 30 days. 10% discount coupon code easy to obtain at Optics Planet as well bringing it's cost down to only $540. It has a zero stop and pop up rev indicator to let you know you're on the next full revolution just like the Bushnell Match Pro ED but the Viridian Xactus has superior glass without the milkiness that the MPED has and better feeling push pull locking turrets and has a superior lifetime warranty including their electronics.

It's not as clear as the Athlon Ares BTR G2 on high magnification though. Maybe tied with the Tenmile and Zeiss when compared side by side by side at 24x with those but you will definitely notice a much wider field of view with this Viridian Xactus similar to the Burris.

The other really light weight hunting scope with insanely good glass is the Viridian Antero 3-18x50 SFP with illuminated center dot BDC SFP reticle (since you mentioned you like the Trijicon Tenmile SFP center dot) you'll probably like this one even better than the Trijicon and weights only 22oz with better glass much wider field of view with a huge sight picture and only cost $315 with Optics Planet 10% discount coupon code with free shipping and free returns within 30 days just like the Viridian Xactus. Lifetime warranty including their electronics better warranty than the Trijicon Tenmile with it's limited 5 year from date of manufacture electronics warranty. Less than half the cost of the Trijicon Tenmile and I bet you will like this one better.

Buy both Viridian Xactus and Antero totally risk free at Optics Planet to compare with what you already got. Their primary advantages are the are in fact super light weight in their respective class and their huge forgiving eyeboxes since you mentioned it's important to your decision to keep for hunting purposes.

Man that Burris XTR3 too bad it's way beyond your spending (to keep) budget. Noticed it's on sale for $1291.99 before taxes are added. Is sure like to know how it compares to the $699.99 Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 and $1299 Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 though.

One of my friends just got a new Arken SH4 J 6-24x50 with Japanese ED glass for $299.99 on Amazon with free shipping and it's way better than the original SH4 Gen2 with the shitty glass. He might have gotten a lottery winner because it's clearer than his more expensive Arken EP5.an you should try this one too because it might be tied if not slightly clearer with the Zeiss and Trijicon Tenmile you have in image quality and hands down far superior turrets it's unbelievable really, if you get a good one like he just did. Im thinking if ordering a couple myself maybe 5 of them and return 4 and keep the best one after comparing them all to pick the one with the best glass. It's almost as clear as the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 he has which he compared it to and his EP5 which really surprised me but not as clear as the Ares BTR G2 which isn't surprising. The SH4J is also clearer than the light weight EPL4 6-24x50 as well and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and Element Optics Titan 5-25x56 and Discovery PRS 5-25x56 and about tied with the Athlon Helos 6-24x56 maybe even a hair clearer. The Arken SH4J has a huge FOV like the Burris and Viridian scopes. Eyebox not as critical as the original SH4 Gen 2 everyone complained about. The glass is the star with this one as stated I'd call a real lottery winner for only $299.99. It's heavy just like the Burris XTR3 and Meopta Optika 6. Probably the best bang for the buck you will ever buy with no equal if you get one as good as the one my buddy just got. The good news about Arken is their 30 day money back guarantee and if you need to use their warranty they're like Vortex and send you a prepaid return shipping label fir warranty so you don't need to pay anything out of your own pocket for their Lifetime Warranty including their electronics.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you were looking through them all at max power. The Athlon is finicky at max power, dial it back a bit and it's much easier. The Burris is better but twice the price. I prefer the SCR reticle which is a little thicker and doesn't have the tree for a hunting reticle.
I agree
Dial the Athlon back to 24-25 power and it’s pretty nice

For hunting purposes, I use anywhere between 4.5x and 15x magnification and up to 18x-20x maximum depends on distance and conditions when using guns fitted with the Athlon Ares BTR G2s. The extra magnification is good for prone or bench rest shooting or for spotting hits at long distances.

Many folks actually couldn't believe how clear the Athlon Ares BTR G2 really is after they bought theirs after I kept on insisting they're worth trying totally risk free at Walmart online and I've said this many times already that it really rivals even some Japan made scopes. It's clearer than many of my Japan made Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes as well.

The newest ones seem to have slightly better glass and have more elevation travel than the earlier G2 Ares. There's a more noticeable difference between the Midas Tac and current Ares BTR G2. Midas Tac is really good while the Ares BTR G2 are great at least one or two levels up in glass quality. Even the cheaper Athlon Midas G2 SFP is noticeably superior to the Bushnell Match Pro and Match Pro ED now. The earlier ones aren't as good. They must have did something recently to improve them that's why I said they may be worth paying $599 regular price for. More total elevation travel compared to their published specs and improved glass. Want to buy the Midas BTR G2 4.5-27x50 just wait till Black Friday sale and maybe get them for under $400 if SFP is preferred. It absolutely whoops my Bushnell Engage 6-24x50 (which I really thought was great until comparing them to the Midas Tac and Midas BTR G2) in glass/ image quality and sheer total elevation travel with improved stainless steel internals and a zero stop and a whopping one ounce lighter than the FFP Ares BTR G2. Other than that, the cosmetics and outer dimensions are exactly the same.

That’s a douchebag move to do and suggest. The retailer has to take a hit selling an open box optic at that point because the consumer is too fucking lazy to do research and make a decision or to go somewhere and put hands on different models. Then other consumers have to receive product that you’ve fucked with.
Doing research is totally different and rather doing things rather blindly compared to having the actual product in hand to look through and test out first hand.

Oftentimes it's impossible to find a local dealer selling certain brands of scopes and optics to compare and it's limited to their store not outside at your place or hunting or shooting range. Looking through optics inside a store isn't real life conditions.

There's way too many shilling going on and most people don't even have the eye to spot good glass vs shitty or below average glass. Many times reviews are from people who don't actually know shit and it's their first decent scope so of course they will post it's the best scope they ever bought.

Don't make purchase decisions only on reviews and specs and always always always buy several different brands at the same time to compare first hand side by side and only keep the one you like the best and return the rest. Do it on Amazon the next buyer be really thankful for you for discount open box returns or dealers selling open box demos. They got huge markup anyways they still earn healthy profits selling open box discounted price demos.

Also please use the ignore/ block member function on me right now so you don't have to read any more of my posts.

Last edited:
Hey the new Arken SH4 J 6-24x50 just might change your perspective regarding Arken. The one a buddy just got is unbelievable and clearer than the EP5. I think it's a genuine lottery winner for $299.99 on Amazon. It's night and day clearer than the SH4 Gen 2 all the way to 24x maximum magnification. Zero chromatic aberration noticed. After comparing it to a lot of much more expensive scopes I'd say it's impossible to beat regardless of price if you get one with identical QC. It's also night and day clearer than the EPL4 6-24x50.

I'm personally not a fan of Arken just so you know and ONLY this scope I can recommend provided if they are all like the one just recently received.
I don’t have a Pro, so no idea.

Why not buy from Midway USA totally risk free and hassle free at regular price just to try out for up to 90 days (which has been their policy for a very long time this is why they're so successful) with free returns? As soon as you decide if you like it, order one from Sportsman's (before their sale ends or run out of stock) and just return the Midway USA one.
Your consumer ethics disgust me. You incessantly get into threads to shill for Chinese scopes at the bottom dollar. Using a generous test policy from a retailer just to return the optic and buy from the cheapest seller you can find is abuse and nothing else. The test period has a cost associated with it, and if you aren’t willing to pay the cost, don’t start. No one ‘makes’ you buy a cheap scope or abuse a retailers test policy. It’s a choice to not save up and spend more on a better option.

Your consumer ethics disgust me. You incessantly get into threads to shill for Chinese scopes at the bottom dollar. Using a generous test policy from a retailer just to return the optic and buy from the cheapest seller you can find is abuse and nothing else. The test period has a cost associated with it, and if you aren’t willing to pay the cost, don’t start. No one ‘makes’ you buy a cheap scope or abuse a retailers test policy. It’s a choice to not save up and spend more on a better option.
Go ahead and use the ignore block member function on me so you don't need to see or read any more of my future posts thank you.

Yep. I’m not sure who is more deserving of the supreme fag of snipershide award between him and fuhq.

What a cheap piece of shit.

• Haha

View attachment 8261060
What height rings you have there?

Not to confuse your question, please take a look at the Track line of optics. I own several models and find their service, reticles and glass quality equal or superior to the options yoI have listed. You will not be disappointed.

Not to confuse your question, please take a look at the Track line of optics. I own several models and find their service, reticles and glass quality equal or superior to the options yoI have listed. You will not be disappointed.
Tract Optics Toric to be precise. Their 4.5-30x56 ELR Toric and 4-16x44 Tekoa BDC with tall turret zero stop kit and sunshade are great, however their 4-20x50 Toric LR I didn't really like due to their very minimal total elevation travel and excessive weight for a 30mm scope and both of mine seem to have had below average glass quality while my cheaper Athlon Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 was clearer and lighter with far more total elevation travel for a fraction of the cost which I specifically replaced all of my 4-20x50 Tract Torics with. I think just this specific model is their dog and wouldn't hesitate buying their other models specially their 4-25x50 ELR 34mm (the one similar to the Zeiss LRP S3 version but the Tract branded version is way cheaper with a better lifetime warranty) next time they go on sale this coming December and if you're LE/Military active or retired you get 15% off anytime.

I was just in the market for a scope and was looking for something 3-18ish.

Budget isn't really the main concern, but I don't plan on using the gun much. More of just a fun build, so I didn't feel like spending big money on the scope.

I shoot a lot of Razors (G2, G3, LHT) on most of my guns. Simply because they work well and I tend to be really hard on things and bang them up. I'm not the biggest image snob, but just need something that I can see well with, read mirage, tracts and has a good hold-over reticle.

I was considering Athlon ARES , Vortex Strike Eagle, Leupold MK5, Meopta Optika6 , and Burris XTR III. I really didnt want a China made scope based on previous experiences, so that limited it to the Leupold, Meopta and Burris. I ended up going with the XTR III mainly because I was just able to pick one up from Optics Planet for $1140 delivered to my door and it comes with an illuminated reticle without a significant bump in price.

I have no experience with Burris, but have read some pretty solid reviews of the XTR III's comparing them the to MK5's , NX8's and PST'S. Should be interesting to step out of my comfort zone of brands and try something new.

Last edited:
I was just in the market for a scope and was looking for something 3-18ish.

Budget isn't really the main concern, but I don't plan on using the gun much. More of just a fun build, so I didn't feel like spending big money on the scope.

I shoot a lot of Razors (G2, G3, LHT) on most of my guns. Simply because they work well and I tend to be really hard on things and bang them up. I'm not the biggest image snob, but just need something that I can see well with, read mirage, tracts and has a good hold-over reticle.

I was considering Athlon ARES , Vortex Strike Eagle, Leupold MK5, Meopta Optika6 , and Burris XTR III. I really didnt want a China made scope based on previous experiences, so that limited it to the Leupold, Meopta and Burris. I ended up going with the XTR III mainly because I was just able to pick one up from Optics Planet for $1140 delivered to my door and it comes with an illuminated reticle without a significant bump in price.

I have no experience with Burris, but have read some pretty solid reviews of the XTR III's comparing them the to MK5's , NX8's and PST'S. Should be interesting to step out of my comfort zone of brands and try something new.
You will be impressed with the XTR-III, especially for its price.

Reactions: SouthFLShootin
Clarity has nothing to do with whether they have 34mm or 30mm tubes. The difference in tube diameter is for more elevation travel and not for image quality. The larger 50mm vs 56mm from objective lens does play a part of light gathering capabilities in regards to overall brightness but not necessarily for clarity either.

I see you have only one 34mm scope whole you mentioned you have two. Which one is the other 34mm scope?

If you need lighter weight 34mm scopes then the lightest ones that I know of within a reasonable budget (well under $1000) is the Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 at around 28oz with German Schott glass which is literally the same scope as the nearly double the price $900 Vector Optics Continental 34mm twin. Optics Planet has a free returns policy within 30 days. 10% discount coupon code easy to obtain at Optics Planet as well bringing it's cost down to only $540. It has a zero stop and pop up rev indicator to let you know you're on the next full revolution just like the Bushnell Match Pro ED but the Viridian Xactus has superior glass without the milkiness that the MPED has and better feeling push pull locking turrets and has a superior lifetime warranty including their electronics.

It's not as clear as the Athlon Ares BTR G2 on high magnification though. Maybe tied with the Tenmile and Zeiss when compared side by side by side at 24x with those but you will definitely notice a much wider field of view with this Viridian Xactus similar to the Burris.

The other really light weight hunting scope with insanely good glass is the Viridian Antero 3-18x50 SFP with illuminated center dot BDC SFP reticle (since you mentioned you like the Trijicon Tenmile SFP center dot) you'll probably like this one even better than the Trijicon and weights only 22oz with better glass much wider field of view with a huge sight picture and only cost $315 with Optics Planet 10% discount coupon code with free shipping and free returns within 30 days just like the Viridian Xactus. Lifetime warranty including their electronics better warranty than the Trijicon Tenmile with it's limited 5 year from date of manufacture electronics warranty. Less than half the cost of the Trijicon Tenmile and I bet you will like this one better.

Buy both Viridian Xactus and Antero totally risk free at Optics Planet to compare with what you already got. Their primary advantages are the are in fact super light weight in their respective class and their huge forgiving eyeboxes since you mentioned it's important to your decision to keep for hunting purposes.

Man that Burris XTR3 too bad it's way beyond your spending (to keep) budget. Noticed it's on sale for $1291.99 before taxes are added. Is sure like to know how it compares to the $699.99 Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 and $1299 Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29x56 though.

One of my friends just got a new Arken SH4 J 6-24x50 with Japanese ED glass for $299.99 on Amazon with free shipping and it's way better than the original SH4 Gen2 with the shitty glass. He might have gotten a lottery winner because it's clearer than his more expensive Arken EP5.an you should try this one too because it might be tied if not slightly clearer with the Zeiss and Trijicon Tenmile you have in image quality and hands down far superior turrets it's unbelievable really, if you get a good one like he just did. Im thinking if ordering a couple myself maybe 5 of them and return 4 and keep the best one after comparing them all to pick the one with the best glass. It's almost as clear as the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 he has which he compared it to and his EP5 which really surprised me but not as clear as the Ares BTR G2 which isn't surprising. The SH4J is also clearer than the light weight EPL4 6-24x50 as well and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and Element Optics Titan 5-25x56 and Discovery PRS 5-25x56 and about tied with the Athlon Helos 6-24x56 maybe even a hair clearer. The Arken SH4J has a huge FOV like the Burris and Viridian scopes. Eyebox not as critical as the original SH4 Gen 2 everyone complained about. The glass is the star with this one as stated I'd call a real lottery winner for only $299.99. It's heavy just like the Burris XTR3 and Meopta Optika 6. Probably the best bang for the buck you will ever buy with no equal if you get one as good as the one my buddy just got. The good news about Arken is their 30 day money back guarantee and if you need to use their warranty they're like Vortex and send you a prepaid return shipping label fir warranty so you don't need to pay anything out of your own pocket for their Lifetime Warranty including their electronics.
What is the difference, besides price, between Xactus, Antero and Myles? Do they all use Schott Glass? Where are they made and how is the warranty?

XTR II 5-25 for $599 is tempting me.
I think I would rather have had one of the PST Gen2, but I only saw mil on sale.

Anyone want to talk me out of the XTR II?

I only hesitate because I don't exactly NEED the scope right now, and possibly in 6mo a better scope will be $600 on clearance.

I have never really paid much attention to the optics market.
Are there regularly previous Gen models on clearance for $6-$700? I don't need latest and greatest.

XTR II 5-25 for $599 is tempting me.
I think I would rather have had one of the PST Gen2, but I only saw mil on sale.

Anyone want to talk me out of the XTR II?

I only hesitate because I don't exactly NEED the scope right now, and possibly in 6mo a better scope will be $600 on clearance.

I have never really paid much attention to the optics market.
Are there regularly previous Gen models on clearance for $6-$700? I don't need latest and greatest.
The PST Gen2 is known to have weak turrets, some literally falling off while just dialing up. Do some googling, and you’ll see the stories. There’s even a few threads and posts on here about it.

And if you look at EuroOptic, that XTR-II 5-25x50 SCR is on sale for $569… $30 cheaper than you were seeing it. 👍🏼

The PST Gen2 is known to have weak turrets, some literally falling off while just dialing up. Do some googling, and you’ll see the stories. There’s even a few threads and posts on here about it.

And if you look at EuroOptic, that XTR-II 5-25x50 SCR is on sale for $569… $30 cheaper than you were seeing it. 👍🏼

I am looking at the MOA at Europtic which is $599.
I doubt I would need it, but the warranty is just better at Vortex.
If a scope is discontinued, Burris gives you a credit for their website (which is all MSRP). Vortex just sends you a new model if needed.

I am looking at the MOA at Europtic which is $599.
I doubt I would need it, but the warranty is just better at Vortex.
If a scope is discontinued, Burris gives you a credit for their website (which is all MSRP). Vortex just sends you a new model if needed.
How is the warranty better at Vortex? They both have Lifetime Forever warranties... Doesn't get much more equal than that...

Who told you that shit about them just giving you a credit if it's been discontinued? That's a load of shit. There's lots of reports on here alone, that if something was discontinued, they either fixed it, or contacted the owner about swapping it out for the newest (or comparable) version of the scope.

@Birddog6424 wanna weigh in on this? 😂

Reactions: Birddog6424