• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 and Berger classic 168's

TacRabbit

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2011
Clovis Nm
Has anyone worked on loads for 7mm-08 using 168 berger classic hunters. I am interested in Hodgdon powders, specifically H1000, H4831, Varget, and H4350. Please include bbl length, charge wt, COAL, and velocity if possible. Any first hand info would be greatly appreciated.

25" Remington varmint. 2600+ with H4350, 45.0
Not a lot of info as I only fired a few. Much more the 162, same powder and some with 414. I think 1000 and 4831 are slow for your 7-08
ETA; there are some 7-08 threads. Varget and MR [?] are mentioned. I might try Varget with a lighter bullet. H4350 is common and I like it.

Last edited:
Thanks Sporter, every little bit helps. I agree about H1000 and 4831 being a little slow but if someone has tried either one I would love info as I have quite a bit of both. Varget has been my go-to powder for 7mm-08 and 308. I load 7mm-08 with Varget/162 Amax's and get around 2750 fps in a 21" barrel. Decided to try the bergers due to lack of availability with the Amax's.

Can't help with those powders but I use the 168gr Classics in my two 7-08's. They seem pretty tolerant of seating depth and are not as finicky as the 168gr VLD's.

I load both of mine in front of Reloder 17. Rest of the the components are Lapua 260rem brass neck expanded up to 7mm, RWS primers. I'm seeing 2750fps with nil signs of pressure.

I'm about to start load development with them and Alliant 2000-MR to hopefully gain a little more tolerance of extreme temp swings we sometimes have here. A typical Aussie day can start off at a min of 2 degrees celsius and end up around high 20's low 30's.

At my last comp the RL17 load had less than 3" of vertical at 500 yards shooting off a bipod and my fist under the rear.

I switched to them as Amax's are unavailable and the 168gr Berger VLD's are in short supply.

They work exceptionally well on hogs at extended ranges. I try and standardize on one load for both hunting and target.

I'll post my load work results back here in the next two weeks.

Thanks Dino for the reply. I have contemplated using RL17 but I like the stability of hodgdon powders and we have some pretty wide temp swings also. What barrel lengths are you running?

One 22" and the other 23&3/4".

I'll keep you posted on results with Alliant 2000 M-R. Loads are done just need the range time this week to chrony and identify nodes at different charge weights, go back & seating depth test and then a 500, 600, 700 yard comp next Saturday.

One 22" and the other 23&3/4".

I'll keep you posted on results with Alliant 2000 M-R. Loads are done just need the range time this week to chrony and identify nodes at different charge weights, go back & seating depth test and then a 500, 600, 700 yard comp next Saturday.
Busy schedule. Sounds familiar.
Appreciate the info.

Factory Tikka Varmint in 7mm-08 (23&3/4" Barrel)
Roedale RCS11 Stock
Lapua 260Rem Brass, neck expanded up
RWS Primers
168gr Berger Classic
Alliant Power Pro 2000 M-R
Shot off bench with front and rear sandbag
Temp around 80F and 75feet altitude

I started with a COAL of 2.912" which is .020" off jammed in my rifle.

Started at 42 grs and worked up to 45.5gr in .5gr increments. Nil pressure signs in my rifle. ES was all over the shop at the lower charge weights (over 50fps)
At 44.5 - Velocity 2747 Av with ES of 52
At 45 gr - Velocity was 2770 av with ES of 20
At 45.5gr - Velocity was 2813 av with ES of 9

From 44.5 up 3 shot groups were around .5" at 100 yards.

3 shot Groups from 44.5 - 45.5 when overlaid - around 3/4" for 9 shots

Settled on 45.3gr and went to seating depth test.

Ran seating depth starting at 2.922 " in .005 increments down to 2.882"

Shot at 200 metres with a left to right 3-5mph on and off breeze. (I made no attempt to hold for wind or wait for the same condition as I'm interested in vertical dispersion)
Atlas bipod and rear bag off concrete (no benches available)
3 Shot groups. Most groups around 1" with the best around .8" horizontal spread. All groups were well under .6" of vertical with the best around .25".

I've run out of time so I will go with 45.3gr at 2.885" COAL at 2800fps and take this load to 500, 600, 700 yard comp on Saturday. Comp shot off bipod and rear bag on grass.

Some observations;

Powder appears to like running at higher pressures
I saw nil pressure signs, easy bolt lift, no extractor swipes, primers still have mild radius on edges
Flows through my RCBS thrower as good as any ball powder - I won't bother weighing charges like with RL17 as I weighed all these and there was less than .1gr variance over 50 throws.

Meets or exceeds RL17 velocities in this rifle with room to spare in cases - no loads were compressed. My RL17 load is mildly compressed.

Hopefully this powder is more tolerant of variable temperature conditions than RL17.

I'll report back after comp.

Factory Tikka Varmint in 7mm-08 (23&3/4" Barrel)
Roedale RCS11 Stock
Lapua 260Rem Brass, neck expanded up
RWS Primers
168gr Berger Classic
Alliant Power Pro 2000 M-R
Shot off bench with front and rear sandbag
Temp around 80F and 75feet altitude

I started with a COAL of 2.912" which is .020" off jammed in my rifle.

Started at 42 grs and worked up to 45.5gr in .5gr increments. Nil pressure signs in my rifle. ES was all over the shop at the lower charge weights (over 50fps)
At 44.5 - Velocity 2747 Av with ES of 52
At 45 gr - Velocity was 2770 av with ES of 20
At 45.5gr - Velocity was 2813 av with ES of 9

From 44.5 up 3 shot groups were around .5" at 100 yards.

3 shot Groups from 44.5 - 45.5 when overlaid - around 3/4" for 9 shots

Settled on 45.3gr and went to seating depth test.

Ran seating depth starting at 2.922 " in .005 increments down to 2.882"

Shot at 200 metres with a left to right 3-5mph on and off breeze. (I made no attempt to hold for wind or wait for the same condition as I'm interested in vertical dispersion)
Atlas bipod and rear bag off concrete (no benches available)
3 Shot groups. Most groups around 1" with the best around .8" horizontal spread. All groups were well under .6" of vertical with the best around .25".

I've run out of time so I will go with 45.3gr at 2.885" COAL at 2800fps and take this load to 500, 600, 700 yard comp on Saturday. Comp shot off bipod and rear bag on grass.

Some observations;

Powder appears to like running at higher pressures
I saw nil pressure signs, easy bolt lift, no extractor swipes, primers still have mild radius on edges
Flows through my RCBS thrower as good as any ball powder - I won't bother weighing charges like with RL17 as I weighed all these and there was less than .1gr variance over 50 throws.

Meets or exceeds RL17 velocities in this rifle with room to spare in cases - no loads were compressed. My RL17 load is mildly compressed.

Hopefully this powder is more tolerant of variable temperature conditions than RL17.

I'll report back after comp.

Tac,
I have been thinking of the same bullet because I like the idea of one bullet for hunting and LR target shooting and my personal preference for hunting is Berger. The Amax's, however, will be back out in about two weeks according to Hornady--they are in production as we speak.

According to QL, in a 21" barrel and COAL of 2.800", your max load of Varget will be 40.0 gr for 2537 ft/s. All others on your list go downhill from there (again, this is according to QL). In the Hodgdon powders, the MV increases slightly with H414 but not by much. I didn't try any powders other than Hodgdon.

dino,
Let us know how the comp. goes. It's my understanding the Berger is usually pretty honest with their B.C. so I'd like to see how the Classic holds up to its alleged .604. To me the VLD really isn't worth the extra length for that small increase in B.C.

Colcalcipherol,

Yes, Berger's BC claim is spot on. I've been using the 168gr Classics for a while.

Input .309 G7, muzzle velocity and the other variables and it's given me first round hits out to 1000yards.

I'm in Australia so it will be a while before we see 162gr Amax's on our shelves again. To be honest I'm sticking with the Bergers as they are a lot easier for me to get and a far bit cheaper than the Amax's price over here. $47.50 for 100 classics vs $54 for Amax when I last got them.

Colcal, thanks for the quick load reference. I hope that the a-max's do start showing up again soon. I have had good luck with them for target and game and already have a load worked up for them. I have a feeling that it may be a while before we start seeing them in stock though.

Dino, I am interested in your findings with 2000 MR in regards to temp sensitivity especially if it yields higher velocities with better metering. Keep us posted.

I'm currently loading the 162gr Amax over 2000MR and I'm printing 3/4" groups at 300yds.

I have a 17 inch 7-08 and have had good luck with the 168 vlds over H4895. I'm not close to the reloading room so I don't know what the charge is, but they shot very well.

TacRabbit, send me a PM if you need some 162 amaxs.

Early last week Hornady quoted me ". . . will ship within 2-3 weeks . . . "

I bought a couple of pounds of H4895 this weekend given that QL recomends this powder over Varget but only by a smidge.

Barnes has the Match Burner 7mm at 171 grs the claimed BC is .645 has anyone played with them yet?

Sorry Blokes,

Been a bit short on time.

Comp ended up being 500, 600, 600 comp as our 700 yard mound is a pile of truck dumped dirt.

I went with 45.3gr 2000-MR at 2.885" COAL at 2800fps. Lapua 260rem cases expanded up, RWS Primers.

I used Strelok and come ups were as indicated for 500, 600 yards.

A light switching wind and a little bit of rain, around 28 degrees Celsius but pretty good conditions overall.

I was lucking enough to win despite the idiot behind the rifle making a few technique errors which is what happens when you shoot once every blue moon.

Managed to snag 7 out of 10 V bulls on our figure B target at 600 yards. V Bull is 6". The pulled shots I'd like to blame on the wind but they were called by me as crap technique.

The load looked like it held very good vertical viewing the spotters through the scope (Looked no more than 3" of vertical at 600 yards)

I have a few ejector shines on some of the cases but primer pockets still tight, they have had 3 loads through at the above charge weight. May have been from the rapid portion of the shoot.

I may back the load down to 45gr and play a bit more with seating depth when I have some time.

What are the specifics on your load and rife?

I guess it's time for me to add some specifics. After shooting for load development I decided on 42gr of 2000mr. This was in the middle of the node and was starting to show some slight pressure signs. Next came the bullet seating depth test. I use base to ogive length only. Too many variables with COAL for me. I got little groups witthis helps someoneh 2.239 ogive length. Im using Lapua 260 brass necked up and Wolf primers. Hope this helps someone.

I guess it's time for me to add some specifics. After shooting for load development I decided on 42gr of 2000mr. This was in the middle of the node and was starting to show some slight pressure signs. Next came the bullet seating depth test. I use base to ogive length only. Too many variables with COAL for me. I got little groups witthis helps someoneh 2.239 ogive length. Im using Lapua 260 brass necked up and Wolf primers. Hope this helps someone.

What was your barrel length and velocity.

Greg,
How far off the lands is that?

Here is my load for my 17" barrel. 308 lapua brass neck turned and sized down. 40.0 gr varget seated .010 off the lands. Only 2550 fps but very accurate. Sub .5 moa. Im about to load some for a friends new custom. It will be a 22" barrel. Going to try 2000 mr first.

Reactions: chevy327
I loaded up to 45 grains of pp2000 with 140 accubonds. Settled on 44.5 at 2870fps. My barrel is 26" so I might try and hit the next node which should be around 46.8.