• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm PRC

I always shit on Nosler myself but Im on 7x of a small lot of 7 SAUM and so far so good, got 8x with shitty Gen 1 Hornady 6.5 SAUM brass.

Just a bit less than a SAUM but if it’s just a necked up 6.5 then the clicker issue will still be there. I will be interested to see if that issue comes into play with the new 7.
Clicker issues are gone with a reamer that's 535 at the 200 line. Many smith's have adopted it already. Its a necessity on the 65 and 300 versions using tough premium brass. The 7mm variant will likely need the same.

The 7prc will be larger than a saum. The 65prc is just slightly different from less. 7prc will be around 80-82gr capacity. The 65 is 70, 300 is 96.

huh, I don't think this is good news. 80gr is the same as 7 WSM.

7 PRC should be made from 6,5 PRC, which is VERY popular and you can get brass from at least 7 producers, and have 70gr capacity; just between 284 WIN and 7 SAUM, imho...

huh, I don't think this is good news. 80gr is the same as 7 WSM.

7 PRC should be made from 6,5 PRC, which is VERY popular and you can get brass from at least 7 producers, and have 70gr capacity; just between 284 WIN and 7 SAUM, imho...
Then just build the 7/65prc. Or better yet just do 7saum. It's a fantastic case.

Reactions: Schw15 and TxLite
I think the majority are running the 7 saum in a long action, in which case you might as well opt for a little more capacity and what I expect will be great industry support.

The 7 prc will be a Winner just because of the factory ammo backing but 7 saum is hard to beat. Hopefully everyone adg Paterson ect. Produces brass from the get go not just hornady

Reactions: cast10k
Peterson is leaving a lot on the table by not picking up 7 SAUM brass.

Reactions: Schw15
When I heard of the release my first reaction was, "Huh, that sucks." I said that because im finishing a 7mm-65PRC project right now, barreled-action is done and at the painter's, everything else, including custom dies from Whidden, is secured, just need to find and buy a stock. I was bummed because I've been putting all the pieces together for better than a year to this wildcat that is suddenly no longer a wildcat. Then I read on: It's not a necked up 6.5 PRC but a new case, a case thats 0.2" longer pushing into at least an XM action. Additionally I thought of how I can use the Lapua 6.5 PRC brass I have for my project, and IF Lapua gets on board with the 7 it'll take quite a while, same with Peterson, ADG, etc. And no, I'm not interested in running Hornady brass...at all. It's crap. I'm excited for this new cartridge, and it may eventually go on the "to build" list. But, it's not the direction I thought they'd go which disappointed me a little.

The additional .2" of case length and increase in COAL, thus almost necessitating an XM length action is pretty much a show stopper for me. While the 7 PRC could be built on a Tikka action, I prefer the Rem 700 clones. For now, and the foreseeable future, I'll stick with my 7 SAUM.

Reactions: Hunt_4life
The additional .2" of case length and increase in COAL, thus almost necessitating an XM length action is pretty much a show stopper for me. While the 7 PRC could be built on a Tikka action, I prefer the Rem 700 clones. For now, and the foreseeable future, I'll stick with my 7 SAUM.
It was meant as a long action cartridge from the start. Why rob case capacity by stuffing it in a medium length action?

Reactions: Emerson0311
17055281-988B-495F-84DD-717F50A03157.jpeg

7 SAUM vs 7 MAX vs 7 PRC

Im thinking more of the lines of 7 PRC IMPROVED ;)......that is if i even chamber one up!

28 Sherman Mag is basically a 7-300 PRC Ackley Improved or Sherman Improved...

I have a 30 SM and think about playing w the 28 SM all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Sleepertruckguy
Most guys say its to much work.. I have ran better than a half dozen IMP cartridges. Love them, never had any issues.

I don't run them any more because I just don't want to blow the cases out. Not enough time anymore like I use to have. I also found the 30 nosler to be a great overall case.

Reactions: BCX
Most modern case designs benefit the least amount from Ackley Improving. I just hate trimming brass :ROFLMAO:

That would be a slick ackley improve case.
What are you going to gain? There's already minimal taper. Standard ackley taper is 0.01" per inch of case length. Thats already in the design. So going from 30 to 40° shoulder will net you maybe 1.5-2gr capacity at best. So 3% increase in capacity makes a 1% increase in velocity at SAME pressure.

What are you going to gain? There's already minimal taper. Standard ackley taper is 0.01" per inch of case length. Thats already in the design. So going from 30 to 40° shoulder will net you maybe 1.5-2gr capacity at best. So 3% increase in capacity makes a 1% increase in velocity at SAME pressure.
It would just be for the longer brass life and no trimmering that comes with ackleys. But I have no plans on building one I actually don't have any plans on doing a 7 prc anymore it was a thought but I'm sticking more with 30 cal.

That would be a slick ackley improve case.
Is that worth fire forming and custom dies? Maybe to you, buy most definitely not to me. Richard Sherman will gurantee latch onto this, put his 0.006/" taper with 40° shoulder for a 4% increase of capacity and 10% increase in velocity at 90k psi chamber pressure no doubt however!

Is that worth fire forming and custom dies? Maybe to you, buy most definitely not to me. Richard Sherman will gurantee latch onto this, put his 0.006/" taper with 40° shoulder for a 4% increase of capacity and 10% increase in velocity at 90k psi chamber pressure no doubt however!
Honestly I was just talking and reacting to what BCX said and I think it would be a nice looking ackley case. Something about the 40 degree shoulder but I have no plans on doing one ever. I don't even do the 30 sherman because I don't want to blow out Soni went with a 30 nosler. I get what your saying and I honestly don't disagree. Not all cases that get ackley actually increase in velocity. I've had my fair share of them and been around them. I personally don't like blowing the cases out anymore. I don't have a dog in this fight more conversation and agreeing with other people. That's all

Honestly I don't see how this cartridge fails. If you want a short or medium action round then stick with a 7 SAUM. If you're old school and just can't break away from the 7mm Remington there's nothing wrong with that, it's a great cartridge. If you need a barrel burning laser then build a 28 Nosler. This gives you a modern case, appropriate in capacity to equal the 7 Rem, with less powder, more barrel life, that will allow the use of any current 7mm bullet in a standard long action. Seems like a win to me.

Last edited:
Yes, i posted the RCC 7 PRC brass next to my 7 MAX brass the other day. Just made a dummy round for the fanboys..... Still debating if I'm going to spin up a barrel in 7 PRC. One of my smiths has a reamer on order. Waiting to hear back from Whidden on dies. I have a modBB 7MM 1-7.5 twist on order.

Yes, i posted the RCC 7 PRC brass next to my 7 MAX brass the other day. Just made a dummy round for the fanboys..... Still debating if I'm going to spin up a barrel in 7 PRC. One of my smiths has a reamer on order. Waiting to hear back from Whidden on dies. I have a modBB 7MM 1-7.5 twist on order.
I seen that pic I guess I just didn't think about it haha I'm just curious about brass

I will prob end up running the 7 PRC in my AI AXSR. My 7 MAX feeds fine from a single stack mag but may run into issues w a double stack mag.

I seen that pic I guess I just didn't think about it haha I'm just curious about brass
I posted in one of the threads that RCC has 7 PRC brass in stock. Expensive but its a work of art!

On a side note, my 7 Max throat looks awesome. Has only moved .02 w N570 with 500 rounds. 7 PRC should be similar depending on powder used and pressures ran.

Reactions: Flyin6 and Schw15
I posted in one of the threads that RCC has 7 PRC brass in stock. Expensive but its a work of art!
Yes it is I almost tried some but decided not too. It looks awesome though. They claim very tough 50 reloads

I primed one case. Primer pockets are nice and tight.

Yes it is I almost tried some but decided not too. It looks awesome though. They claim very tough 50 reloads
Can you point to where they claim 50 reloads? Or, has someone done so? I’m genuinely curious as that’s almost unbelievable. (and incredible!)

Can you point to where they claim 50 reloads? Or, has someone done so? I’m genuinely curious as that’s almost unbelievable. (and incredible!)
I talked to them on the phone a while back and they said they couldn't guarantee 50 but said that was very possible. Not sure never bought any

I'm just curious to everyone who says fire forming is to much work or time consuming. Do you not take 150-200 to speed up ur barrel before load development anyways?

I find if I do load dev before it speeds up I have to start over. I will say if you start before it can give you a good starting point but nothing super solid. I just load up 200 brass with a medium load and go shoot steel or what ever. Have fun then you have brass ready to start load development.

• Love
Reactions: BCX and b6graham
I always start a fresh barrel w new brass and YES fire form my brass before doing serious load development. At some point we clean our barrels and need foulers? Perfect time to send 5 virgin cases into the chamber, set them aside if you need fresh cases down the road.

I'm just curious to everyone who says fire forming is to much work or time consuming. Do you not take 150-200 to speed up ur barrel before load development anyways?

I find if I do load dev before it speeds up I have to start over. I will say if you start before it can give you a good starting point but nothing super solid. I just load up 200 brass with a medium load and go shoot steel or what ever. Have fun then you have brass ready to start load development.
Haha that is a very good point. I always get a load right off the bat and run it then adjust from there but sometimes it does suck because the speed up happens and then time to redo the load. When I had ackleys I would create a medium charge a d just blow them out have fun and then started developing my load and no worries about any change by then

Reactions: Taylorbok