• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm PRC

Gtscotty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
I've seen some rumors swirling on other sites about a new SAAMI standard 7mm PRC cartridge rollout in the near future. Didn't see a thread on the topic here, so I figured I'd start one as a place to collect rumors, news and eventually load data once it's introduced.

I'm interested to hear what folks have heard, but from reading what little is out there, the consensus of rumors seems to be that the 7mm PRC is:
- Another Hornady introduction.
- A long action cartridge ased on a necked down (and maybe shortened a bit) .300 PRC.
- Slated for a fall introduction.
- Possibly similar to or even a straight standardization of the 7mm LRM.
- SAAMI standardized but not yet published.

Not sure who this guy is, but saw on another forum that he claims to have had some conversations with pew pew industry folks on he 7mm PRC (~14:20)

Looking at the new cartridge section of the SAAMI website, it looks like new cartridge publications seem to come out quarterly (mid-Jan, mid-June, mid-Sept, etc) so if the cartridge really is almost ready to launch, maybe we'll see prints come out in June?

I've been planning a new elk rifle for a while, oscillating between 7mm SAUM, .280 AI, and .300 WSM. If this 7mm PRC turns out to be real, and is Intro'd and supported in standard Hornady style, it might be just what I'm looking for.

Reactions: RickyRodney
Aaron Davidson over at Gunwerks made a comment on his podcast recently that the 7 LRM would become the new 7 PRC through Hornady. I’m looking forward to seeing it become standardized. Seems like a great cartridge.

Reactions: Gtscotty
Not sure who this guy is, but saw on another forum that he claims to have had some conversations with pew pew industry folks on he 7mm PRC (~14:20)

He sort of annoys me... but there's not many gun channels around anymore, and even less that have good production value, so I watch his channel occasionally. I've seen him say on a previous video he's been in the youtube business for many years, I dont know what channels or how he monetized it, but Backfire is only a couple of years old.

What is he talking about he's disappointed its not a short action to be a SAUM successor? The majority of us build our SAUMs in medium or long actions already.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Why wait, all three of those choice you listed are excellent
I might not, but a new well supported 7mm Magnum would be just about perfect for what I want to do. I don't have any 7mms, so I'd kind of like to go that route over the .300. Would love a SAUM, but if bothers me that every time I search for brass online it's always out of stock. It's technically made... just seems to be unavailable. .280 AI is probably the most likely option, but if I'm going LA anyway, a beltless standardized Magnum case with a bit more umph might be an attractive alternative.

He sort of annoys me... but there's not many gun channels around anymore, and even less that have good production value, so I watch his channel occasionally. I've seen him say on a previous video he's been in the youtube business for many years, I dont know what channels or how he monetized it, but Backfire is only a couple of years old.

What is he talking about he's disappointed its not a short action to be a SAUM successor? The majority of us build our SAUMs in medium or long actions already.

Yeah, this is really his only video I've seen and really just thought the tidbit about 7mm PRC was interesting, could pass on the rest. Not sure why he would want a short action PRC, seems like the shortest most folks would want to go with something like a SAUM or 7mm-6.5mm PRC would be an XM anyway.

Last edited:
Aaron Davidson over at Gunwerks made a comment on his podcast recently that the 7 LRM would become the new 7 PRC through Hornady. I’m looking forward to seeing it become standardized. Seems like a great cartridge.

Yes I'd heard that as well, but his post in this thread made it sound more like he hoped the LRM was becoming the PRC, but wasn't sure. Of course maybe he wasn't supposed to spill the beans on the podcast and was just walking it back a little.

Yes I'd heard that as well, but his post in this thread made it sound more like he hoped the LRM was becoming the PRC, but wasn't sure. Of course maybe he wasn't supposed to spill the beans on the podcast and was just walking it back a little.

Interesting. I’m inclined to believe that he spoke sooner than he should have and had to do damage control.

Either that or maybe this was his way to corner Hornady into following through after pushing for it for 6 years lol. Get so many people talking about it that they have to do it.

Last edited:

winner winner chicken dinner.

Look for announcement in October at earliest.

That's my opinion only...

Another option without the wait Would be to just build a 28 Sherman. It’s a 300 PRC necked to 7 with a 40 degree shoulder & a little less body taper.

That’s my plan. Have action & a cip mag chassis already, but 308Win Tac class build comes first.

If they release a 7PRC great, then you can shoot factory ammo in the Sherman to fire form just like the 30 Sherman with 300PRC.

Till the 7PRC is released, 28 Sherman head stamp ADG brass and dies are in stock.
4AD8B9F1-7729-4536-9AE4-4699A6BF58E5.jpeg

Anyone know what kind of action this would use? Would a 6.5 creed be able to get converted to this or would I be better off just getting a new action? I have a new 6.5 creed rem 700 mountain rifle but not a big fan of the 6.5 creed. 7mm prc sounds like it could a do everything round and not be undersized for elk or moose. Of all my rifles for hunting, my 7mm rem has been my favorite for sure and this new round sounds awesome

Anyone know what kind of action this would use? Would a 6.5 creed be able to get converted to this or would I be better off just getting a new action? I have a new 6.5 creed rem 700 mountain rifle but not a big fan of the 6.5 creed. 7mm prc sounds like it could a do everything round and not be undersized for elk or moose. Of all my rifles for hunting, my 7mm rem has been my favorite for sure and this new round sounds awesome
6.5 Creed won't work.

You need long action with mag bolt face & preferably a chassis or bottom metal that accepts cip 3.850" mags.

Reactions: TxLite
The saami 7prc. It's actually a dang near knock off of the 7 blaser mag thats a design back from 2011. The 300 & 338 blaser mag case dimensions were pretty much taken by Nosler when the 28/30/338 noslers came about. Nothing new here.......

Removed images, guess I wasn't supposed to be sharing them. @Gtscotty if you'd do the same over on accurate shooter I'd appreciate that. If not, whatevs

Last edited:
The saami 7prc. It's actually a dang near knock off of the 7 blaser mag thats a design back from 2011. The 300 & 338 blaser mag case dimensions were pretty much taken by Nosler when the 28/30/338 noslers came about. Nothing new here........attached first is 7prc, second is 7 blaser.
View attachment 7891944View attachment 7891945

Interesting, it's still not on the SAAMI new cartridges page, where did you find it? Do you have the cartridge drawing as well?

Looks like it's not a straight neck up of the 6.5 PRC or neck down of the 300 PRC.

Screenshot_20220615-061444~3.png

Screenshot_20220615-062056~2.png

Also not exactly a 7mm LRM.

Don't think I've ever seen a rifle chambered in a blazer cartridge, or a even a Blazer cartridge itself, so the PRC being similar to an unobtainable pre-existing cartridge is neither here nor there for me. The case size itself looks interesting to me, in between the 6.5 PRC and the LRM.

Interesting, it's still not on the SAAMI new cartridges page, where did you find it? Do you have the cartridge drawing as well?

Looks like it's not a straight neck up of the 6.5 PRC or neck down of the 300 PRC.

View attachment 7892105

View attachment 7892106

Also not exactly a 7mm LRM.

Don't think I've ever seen a rifle chambered in a blazer cartridge, or a even a Blazer cartridge itself, so the PRC being similar to an unobtainable pre-existing cartridge is neither here nor there for me. The case size itself looks interesting to me, in between the 6.5 PRC and the LRM.
I know some people who know some more important people. Blaser cases are popular in Europe. I have a 25 cal wildcat on the 7 blaser. Brass is readily available,dies as well. I believe it'll have same csse capacity as a 7mag, around 80gr. So you're correct, right between 6.5 and 300 prc. Has a longer neck va bullet diameter conpared to the other two prc, which I like.

So possibly 7RM performance with a modern case design, should be fun with a factory 162/175/180.

I’m curious what the market analysis is on this. I get the impression that the 7mm in general occupies the middle ground popularity wise between the newish 6.5’s and the mid range 300 magnums. So I’m not sure this will take off like the other PRC cartridges since if a 6.5 won’t do it, most people will go straight to the 300.

So possibly 7RM performance with a modern case design, should be fun with a factory 162/175/180.

I’m curious what the market analysis is on this. I get the impression that the 7mm in general occupies the middle ground popularity wise between the newish 6.5’s and the mid range 300 magnums. So I’m not sure this will take off like the other PRC cartridges since if a 6.5 won’t do it, most people will go straight to the 300.
7mm is a fair easier to shoot. To get equal bc of a 180gr or heavier 7mm, you gotta go 230gr or heavier in the 30. Lot more recoil, and powder needed to get the same velocity. 7 saum with a 180 hyb at 2900 or faster is arguably one the most efficient, effective rounds out there.

7mm is a fair easier to shoot. To get equal bc of a 180gr or heavier 7mm, you gotta go 230gr or heavier in the 30. Lot more recoil, and powder needed to get the same velocity. 7 saum with a 180 hyb at 2900 or faster is arguably one the most efficient, effective rounds out there.

I shoot multiple 7 SAUMs and agree with everything you said.

Wonder how this will perform out of a 18-20" barrel, been looking for a maneuverable elk rifle and this may do it.

That's what I really want, I have a 17" .280 ai out getting threaded now, but I'd love to give this 7mm PRC a try in that kind of rifle if it is well supported. Looks like it landed in a nice spot size wise, around the 7mm RM, plenty for anything I hunt, but hopefully boasting four digit barrel life numbers.

Seems they left a little gas on the table with this one. Was hoping for something similar to a 7LRM with just a little more capacity. 28 Nosler and even a 7-300 prc are a little too overbore. And even a 7lrm doesn't offer much over a 7 rem mag. Was hoping this new sammi 7 prc would be somewhere in between. My kingdom for the goldilock 7 mag... Atleast this sammi 7prc would be great size for Tikkas, especially if Tikka ends up offering it with an appropriate twist barrel.

Reactions: Yote Klr
Seems they left a little gas on the table with this one. Was hoping for something similar to a 7LRM with just a little more capacity. 28 Nosler and even a 7-300 prc are a little too overbore. And even a 7lrm doesn't offer much over a 7 rem mag. Was hoping this new sammi 7 prc would be somewhere in between. My kingdom for the goldilock 7 mag... Atleast this sammi 7prc would be great size for Tikkas, especially if Tikka ends up offering it with an appropriate twist barrel.
sizing for tikka 3.4" would be silly imho

they really need to target the new medium lengths for 180/195gr bullets (also work in tikka or standard r700 long actions)

Tikka magazines are a little short to accommodate their current factory offering of a typical 7 rem mag loaded with heavy bullets. Their magazine length is more ideal for 150-168 bullets with the magazine coal restrictions. However, their magazines would work well with this 7 PRC. A 7 saum with 180's would be better suited in an intermediate length action.

I’m ready to see more info on this. I’m ready to build a 7mm

Agree on the Tikkas, twist rate would be my concern, they seem to prefer twist rates on the more leisurely end of the scale for some reason.

Basically a blaser mag.
It is a little shorter to the neck shoulder junction, and it has a shorter neck than the blaser mag.

Another option without the wait Would be to just build a 28 Sherman. It’s a 300 PRC necked to 7 with a 40 degree shoulder & a little less body taper.

That’s my plan. Have action & a cip mag chassis already, but 308Win Tac class build comes first.

If they release a 7PRC great, then you can shoot factory ammo in the Sherman to fire form just like the 30 Sherman with 300PRC.

Till the 7PRC is released, 28 Sherman head stamp ADG brass and dies are in stock.
View attachment 7864709
ADG brass sucks...

Reactions: abn31c
ADG brass sucks...
Really? Ive found it to be superior to anything else in 300 or 65 prc. Or saum, 7mag, rum or 300wsm too. Adg brass does not suck. It's hard to find especially in certain chamberings, but that's the only bad part in my opinion. I will agree that the prc chambers need to be oversized by 002 at the web to work well with harder thicker brass. But v2n after 4-5 reloads on Horandy and lapua you have clickers and extraction issues. ADG it just shows up on 3rd firing.

180’s @ 2950 in a 24 in barrel. That’s all I needed to know! Sign me up captain!

Build a 7rem mag.......my brothers rifle with 26" barrel runs em at 3080 with H1000.
Well how am I supposed to be hornady nuthugger if I do that? Seriously tho, I wanted to build a 7mm blaser mag. This just makes that project easier and will be able to buy ammo in the box store near me.. eventually.

Well how am I supposed to be hornady nuthugger if I do that? Seriously tho, I wanted to build a 7mm blaser mag. This just makes that project easier and will be able to buy ammo in the box store near me.. eventually.
I can agree with that. The 7prc will run excellent from a Tikka.

I wonder how long til you see brass dies reamers ect.
Well a reamer could be yours in 3 months. If dies were available you could form from 300prc. But it'll likely be a while. I know one smith with a reamer on order. You know what would be easier? Neck a 300wsm down to 7mm. It'll be within a few grains capacity.

Tikka magazines are a little short to accommodate their current factory offering of a typical 7 rem mag loaded with heavy bullets. Their magazine length is more ideal for 150-168 bullets with the magazine coal restrictions. However, their magazines would work well with this 7 PRC. A 7 saum with 180's would be better suited in an intermediate length action.
Tikka works great with a 7 saum and 180's.

Well a reamer could be yours in 3 months. If dies were available you could form from 300prc. But it'll likely be a while. I know one smith with a reamer on order. You know what would be easier? Neck a 300wsm down to 7mm. It'll be within a few grains capacity.
No i agree just would be nice to have one with no nicking down ect. But this new round looks perfect but what is it really going to do over a 7 mag or 7-300 wsm ect

Did not see the speed, 3.340 oal and a 180 (eld?) doing 2950. Seems about between WSM and RM. Interesting. If Lapua or ADG makes brass it will be very interesting with some of the higher energy powders.

No i agree just would be nice to have one with no nicking down ect. But this new round looks perfect but what is it really going to do over a 7 mag or 7-300 wsm ect
It gives you the performance you would want with 180-195 gr bullets without a rebated case or a belt or having to stuff bullets down into the powder column all without being too over bore.

Exactly the same concept the 300 PRC was designed for that everyone thought was a waste of time over a 300 WM but seems to have exploded in popularity.

Last edited:
I understand that and I have said this would be the perfect case. So I agree with you about all that. I was strictly saying velocity wise as far as all of them achieving the same speed no difference.

Reactions: nick338