• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 7mm Rem Mag Scope under $500?

FLAVIO

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2013
Hello good people!

I'm hoping to leverage the magnitude of collective experience on this forum to advise my next purchasing decision.

I'm in the market for a scope for my 7mm Rem Mag. I Primarily enjoy target shooting over long distances (300-900m)

I have roughly $500 to spend.

I'm in Canada, so there's some complications buying some scopes from some American retailers in some States :S

Possible candidates include:

Red-field revolution
Vortex Viper HS
Weaver 10T

Any advice/ knowledge of deals would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty new to this glorious hobby that is shooting, so please forgive my any apparent ignorance or lack of jargon.

Thank you, in advance, for your input!

Which rifle, and will you be hunting with the rifle? Just that the 7mm is a nice flat cartridge, tough to spot you own shots though. Of the scopes you listed the Vortex HS does well for dual duty (Hunting Shooting), hence the name HS. Fast turrets will dial out to 700-900 or so meters in one turn (24 moa, 162 Amax). Now the only downer to the 1/2 moa is that your 100m zero may be a bit over or under the x ring as you obviously have 1/2 moa of adjustment. If you are shooting steel it wont matter. I ran an HS for a while until I saved up for my NF, it did everything I wanted and nothing I didnt. Resale value was excellent as well.

The Revolution is a tough little scope and perfect for a hunting rifle you dont mind bumpin around. Glass is approx Leupold VXII equivalent, but again is really set up for hunting.

Which rifle, and will you be hunting with the rifle? Just that the 7mm is a nice flat cartridge, tough to spot you own shots though. Of the scopes you listed the Vortex HS does well for dual duty (Hunting Shooting), hence the name HS. Fast turrets will dial out to 700-900 or so meters in one turn (24 moa, 162 Amax). Now the only downer to the 1/2 moa is that your 100m zero may be a bit over or under the x ring as you obviously have 1/2 moa of adjustment. If you are shooting steel it wont matter. I ran an HS for a while until I saved up for my NF, it did everything I wanted and nothing I didnt. Resale value was excellent as well.

The Revolution is a tough little scope and perfect for a hunting rifle you dont mind bumpin around. Glass is approx Leupold VXII equivalent, but again is really set up for hunting.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't plan on doing much hunting at all, really... But who's to say I won't get into it in the near future :S
What's so bad about a target scope, that negates it's practicality for hunting?

I'm hoping to get a scope, that will allow me to dial in my shots. Do I really need magnification above 10?
Is eye relief around 4" a must?
Is a 40mm objective my best option.

I'm open to other suggestions, these were just what I picked up from other forums... they were dates years ago, so who knows what's changed.

Thank you again!

The only consideration about the hunting aspect is you don't really want to exceed 4x-6x on the low end. For your use, the 4-16x viper hs would be nice. If you can live with a fixed power scope, the SWFA SS 10x, 12x, or 16x are an excellent value and tough to beat, that is if you're not hunting. I really like the Leupold Mark AR mod1 3-9x, 4-12x, and 6-18x for sub $500 mil/mil glass, very light weight and great warranty. Another routenly reccomended scope with rave reviews for a budget is the midwayusa weaver 3-10x40 GS for $300.

There are scopes designed for various shooting scenarios. The reason I ask is that this forum is tailored more to long range shooting with a tactical emphasis. So most folks will suggest scopes that are designed for ranging, and very quick follow up shots. First focal plane and a variety of reticles. Now you have target shooting, F-class, Olympic style etc, and you have "shooting at targets" i/e ringing steel at different ranges from different positions. See what I am getting at, you can hunt with pretty much any scope, but if you will be shooting from a bench the entire time, you can find something along a benchrest scope, high mag, tall turrets and very fine adjustments. You would not want a Leupold MK4 with M3 turrets if you are trying to put all of your 10 rounds in the x ring, you also would not want to dial three revolutions to get from 300-800m to engage a target either.