• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm STW for long range work

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
hey guys, well been kickin around the idea of turning my STW into a long range rig. i have a .308 and shoot it out to 800 yrds. but want something to shoot 1000 plus with a little more stank on it without having to buy another rifle. i have a model 70 7mm STW that i use for hunting mainly. ive shot 168 grn vlds outta it sub moa. just wondering if anyone used this caliber for long range work. i am thinking of rebuilding it with a match barrel. trued action and a nice bedded stock. any suggestion on tube length and twist rate.

any help would be appreciated

Re: 7mm STW for long range work

I have had the opportunity to keep score for a guy shooting 1,000 yard F-Class with a 7STW. Its a flat shooting rig, no doubt, but probably seriously overbore to be used for that practice consitently.

When I take my 7WSM to the desert to shoot long-range (1,200 to 1,600 yards), I run between 40 and 60 rounds through it in 30 to 45 minutes. I doubt an STW throat would survive too many of those types of trips. If you go slow and let her cool down you might nurse it along for a while.

JeffVN

Depends on projo weight, bbl length, powder choice, etc.

if its shooting the 168 bergers into sub moa then run that load,

shoot that thing for a while till you burn the barrel out of it then re-barrel, but if its sub moa now i wouldnt mess with it.

those 168's out of a stw will go a long long ways.

I ran a 7ultra mag back in the day it was an easy 200fps faster than my wsm at time but the ultra was a 26in tube and a 23in tube on my 7wsm at that time

I run a 7WSM at 2,920 fps with Berger 180s out of a 28" tube in my KMW Surgeon SA and at 3050 out of a 30" tube in my F-Class rig.

The 7STW that was at our F-Class comp was running the 168s at over 3,200 from his 30" tube.

JeffVN

yeah i guess ill just leave as is for a while. i wanted to put a better bench type stock on it, a heavier barrel and a muzzle break and make it more enjoyable to shoot for long periods of time. i also thought about turning it into another caliber.