• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 9mm Quietbore solvent trap/suppressor failure

Steel_Weasel

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
I recently ordered and assembled a Quietbore 9mm solvent trap after receiving an approved Form 1 from the ATF. I drilled the baffles in the prescribed manner with the Quietbore fixture. During test firing the unit was checked for fit and mis-alignment at round 10 with no noticeable issues. On round 17 the body of the unit separated from the rear end cap and ejected itself downrange. Ammunition being used was factory 9mm, a mix of Federal 147gr and Winchester 124 gr. Spent cases exhibited no deformities or other discernable defects.
I took the unit to a machinist who inspected the unit and baffles and found no baffle strikes or other noticeable damage but indicated the rear threading on the tube body was suspected failure point.

I sent Quietbore an email 4 days ago but have yet to hear anything back. Needless to say I'm disappointed as I was planning on purchasing other Quietbore solvent traps with the intention of submitting Eform1s to convert them suppressors as well. Is there anything that can be done to salvage this unit or did $500 just get flushed ?

Attachments

• 20200622_153726.jpg
    20200622_153726.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200622_153753.jpg
    20200622_153753.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 202
I'm sorry to hear about this and interested in the resolution to your issue. I have the same can and have several hundred trouble free rounds through mine.

You will not hear back from QB, is my guess. They are a "solvent trap maker", and anything you do to change their product, is on you. I agree, it sucks; but alas, there is an answer! You can still send your can to a proper SOT, and have them repair the proximal end mounting thread. As long as the tube is not compromised.

Is that AR9? Interesting thread adapter. What do the other side (muzzle facing side) of the baffles look like?

Wow, thats crazy. I’d like to see the inner tube threads at the muzzle.

I have the same trap, used all the same stuff. About 400 rounds of 115,124,147, and 157. No issues. This sucks, man! Definitely send it to an SOT. Gonna have to spends some cash to get it resolved, but you won’t be out the $500 already.

Reactions: AMGtuned
No baffle strike? So no damage to most of the components? Buy a new tube and muzzle cap. Engrave the new tube and destroy the old tube. Reassemble. $75 fix.
Gemtax prevents the tube replacement, legally ,I'm pretty sure.

Oh. Well disregard. I don't want to advise illegal activity. Thanks for correcting me. Glad you're here to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Don't replace the tube. I was wrong.
I wasn't trying to be a dick if it came across like that. They can fix everything up to the serialized section, whatever they choose to engrave. After that we have to eat the bill.
Google AAC and gemtec. Brittingham was repairing / improving/ rebuilding gemtec cans to spite Doc Dater essentially.
Big shit show that resulted in gemtec asking batfe for a ruling, we got the gemtax as a result.
Back when silencer talk was a good site, many of us watched it happen live. Didn't sit well with me.
Have a great day man.