• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AAR - BHTC/MCSA TEAM PRECISION MATCH 11/13

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Thanks to our sponsors:

Wells Custom Guns for putting up the grand prize, a .30 cal suppressor.

American Rifle, for a beautiful set of precision scope rings.

Sierra Bullets for two five box gift certificates.

We congratulate all of our shooters for some fine marksmanship. First three teams are:

Blaster - Tony / Rob
Team R&D - Jim/Jamie
"Sod off Wanker" - Steve L / Richard J

High individual shooter: Jamie D of Wolf Precision, Team R&D.

It was a lot of work putting this on, but it seemed like everyone enjoyed it. I will post the full CoF tomorrow for all to see.

Unfortunately I have lost my clipboard and all the score sheets too. If you guys can help fill in the finish order I would appreciate it.

Pics & Video are coming. Thanks to Jeff W of "The Coney Island Whitefish" for the equipment and photog skill.

We caught a 1 hour standstill detour on 322. I'm bushed.

--Fargo007

Re: AAR - BHTC/MCSA TEAM PRECISION MATCH 11/13

Freddy we caught the same traffic on 322 and lost about an hour. Got home about 1am last night. Beat today LOL

A big thanks to Freddy and Mike for putting on a fun and challenging match. No big white steel here. Camouflaged UKD were the words of the day. Starting from the first cold bore shot at a well hidden team of UKD steel in the brush at about 575 yards that you and your team mate had to find, range and command fire on under time. We will definitely make the trip back down for another BHTC match.

Was great to meet a bunch of great guys as well including the guys from Rochester and Josh as well as some old friends like Jamie and Jim.

Also would like to thank our sponsors Hornady, Schmidt and Bender and GA Precision for giving us the tools to help make the work easier.

Well done! to Freddy and Mike for putting on a nice one-day match with some interesting & challenging stages.

I always prefer the No-laser range finders rule and even though we were on an established range Freddy and Mike threw in a distance offset to keep us thinking.

Camo'd targets we're cool

My favorite stage was "shooting off your dead buddy" which team SOW "cleaned" at ~300yrds.. and I learned that Steve has a pulse in his butt!... don't ask...

Well done to Rob01/Nomad and Jamie/Jim

Thanks also to Miflin Co. Sportmans club, Impact Data books and the rest of the sponsors.... and whoever made the cherry cheesecake (first time I've been served cake/coffee at the range)..

I'll be signing up for the next BHTC comp.

Richard J

Anyone have a pics?

btw. I won't comment on my team mates team-name choice "Sod Off Wanker" more than it was 'nicely' British and a good effort from my American 'brother'

Freddy, Mike, MCSA, match sponsers, thanks for putting on a great match. Lots of fun, and for a short match I feel like I got a decent amount of shooting in.

I'd agree with Richard, the camo steel targets were a nice touch. You guys should get Krylon to sponser the next match.

Congrats to team Blaster on the win.

Richard, good shooting. Sorry about the Team name but Jamie suggested "Team Wanker" which I couldn't subscribe to.

PB130003.jpg

Team Blaster and Team R&D, Freddy on the spotting scope
PB130002.jpg

down range shot of MCSA
PB130010.jpg

Richard on the barricade
PB130008.jpg

Jamie on the barricade
PB130005.jpg

Jim on the barricade

Great pics. I forgot my camera unfortunately and didn't get any.

CoF:

ALL targets were steel, and were camouflaged and placed behind brush, in defilade, and no target was at an exact -00 yardage. Everything was a 'tweener.'

1 - Cold bore shot on two UKD targets at 593Y from a location 40Y behind the traditional firing line on a plateau in the brush. Find them, range them with scope reticle, and engage under time limit.

2 - Range Estimation KYL - Pick a target you and your teamie can both hit with only two rounds each. Any target. Points were the yardage divided by 10 only if it was hit by both team mates.

3 - 1000Y challenge - 5 shots each target/shooter to hit two targets at 1004 and 1012Y.

4 - IED team - Three bad guys are doing something to the path that crosses the range around 735Y. Find, range, engage. 5 rounds to make 3 hits.

5 - HVT - A 100Y sprint to fire off a dirt berm at a B27 target 400Y away. Only 9-10 ring and head shots counted. One shooter had to take the head, the other the body.

6 - Standing Orders - 700Y target standing, braced on a post. 10 shots to hit it with a 5 point bonus for every unused round.

7 - Barricade. Shooters choice of target for point value (longer the higher) with 10 different barricade positions including a sideways rifle shot.

8 - Holdover - Targets from 400Y to 700Y were engaged with zeroed knobs. 10 rounds to make as many hits as possible under time.

9 - Buddy shot - One plays dead, the other shoots from his rump roast at a 300Y target.

I do think there's a certain balance between round count and stage value/realism/applicability. If you go low on the round count, you had better be high in those other categories, and that's what we aimed for.

--Fargo007

ROb01, what power setting did you use most often? I know your S&B has a wide range and was just curious as to which power setting you use most often?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDECK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROb01, what power setting did you use most often? I know your S&B has a wide range and was just curious as to which power setting you use most often?</div></div>

I used from 10-12x for barricades and drill that would have the shooter be more unstable. Most shooting was done at 15-20x but used up to 25x to get good views of targets for ranging with the reticle as with the cooler temps mirage wasn't really a factor. That's why I like having the large power range as it makes the scope more versatile for my needs.

Rob01, I can see why you like this scope. It gives you nothing but options.

Team Blaster,
WHat are the rifle tri-pod's you guys are using in the prone photo above.

Looks like it was a very well thought out match.

Jack

Thank you Freddy and Mike for a great match. Congrats to Tony and Rob and to Rich and Steve and to Jim - good shooting you guys! It was a great match and always nice to see old friends and make new ones.

I liked the camo targets and the format. It made it challenging and a lot of fun.

See you all in 2011.

JamieD

Fred and Mike, another challenging and FUN shoot. I have some photos, if I can figure it out I'll post them.
We got caught in some of those detours and it took an extra 2 hours or so to get back to the island.
DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

Great job Mike and Freddy...

Thanks to Mifflin Co Sportsmans Club for hosting the match, (and the gentleman that provided the cherry cheesecake, as well as the breakfast and lunch)...

The stages were very well thought out and challenging.. I think my favorite was Standing Orders followed by the Hold Over drill..
I liked point value for distance also...

Congrats go out to Rob and Tony for the win..
Jim and Jamie for second
Richard and Steve for third..

Jamie for high overall...

I also want to thank Dave Preston for the invite to shoot with him. This guy is going to be tough at the matches next season...

Thanks again guy's
Dave.O

Thank you Freddy and Mike for ANOTHER great match! And THANK YOU to the members of MCSA for their hospitality and CATERING the event! And the offer to provide us shelter for the night previous is more than generous. You guys spoil us every match! Except for the traffic jam it was a GREAT day! I'll try to get the group and winner shots up soon. By the time I finally went to bed last night I had been up for 40 hrs. so my brain isn't working to well today! Congrats to Team Blaster!
Jeff W

Congratulations to Rob and Tony, it was a pleasure to meet you guys and shoot together on Saturday. I had a great time shooting with Mike and it was a very enjoyable weekend.

Congratulations to Jamie for the high score of the day. I hope you enjoy that set of rings from American Rifle Co. I've been nothing but pleased with mine.

Thank you to Dave Wells of Wells Custom Gunmakers for bringing out a suppressor for me to run a little while during a short lull in the match, it's getting harder and harder to wait for my paperwork to come through now.

This was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the next BHTC match and I think Freddy and Mike put together a fun, challenging match. Thanks to all of the sponsors and I hope to see everyone out there again soon.

Did the shooters that were used as butt rests feel any of the muzzle blast on their legs or torso when the rifle had a muzzle break?
jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did the shooters that were used as butt rests feel any of the muzzle blast on their legs or torso when the rifle had a muzzle break?
jack </div></div>

My partner was shooting a 7wsm with a thruster brake, I felt the blast, not as bad as you would think though...

Sorry for delayed response been a long 4 days for me. I am settled and finally a chance to thank Freddy and Mike for a great match and a great day of shooting.

It was a pleassure to meet some new shooters and to make it some new friends. As always it was great to see my old friends as well as to be able to shoot with one of my two great team mates.

Jamie way to rock this weekend as well as Jim get that head cleared up and limit the mistakes brother

Steve L / Richard J way to rock as well.

I really liked the format and the scoring system for this match!!
I felt that it allowed shooters to pick their shots and earn points to how much risk they took. I also liked the ability to take multiple shots and be rewarded for using less then the next guy.

The camo targets made it fun as well.

Thanks again and we look forward to coming and playing again.

Holy crap that looks like fun. Is this strictly a team event?

That one was but in the future they might do an individual match.

Correct - this was a 2 man team match, but not all of them will be so.

We will have individual effort matches in 2011, including one that is a 2 day, 2 gun match (Carbine & Long range).

Mike and I were satisfied with how it went and will tweak a couple bottlenecks out. I am overjoyed to have finally found a scoring model that rewards the super-ninjas for the long range first round hits, but still allows the greenhorn to put some score on the board and hit the target. Nobody wants to shoot & miss all day, and truthfully it's good for everyone to keep new blood coming into this sport.

Definitely expect some more good things from us this coming year in terms of both competition and training.

--Fargo007

I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for a solo match. I won't feel so guilty about misses and bad calls on the UKD ranges, would hate to bring someone else's score down with my inexperience!

You should come to as many tactical/precision matches as you can. It will help you cement down all the stuff you learn in training.

The opportunity to see how the more advanced shooters are operating their gear, making their RE and wind calls and getting it done is alone worth the trip. You will see people make some amazing shots every time. I have several times seen LE and MIL shooters shooting it with little regard for the competition aspect but for the value of the time behind the gun in situations they can exert no control over.

It's a casual, friendly atmosphere with no attitude or swagger. I've never run into a situation where shooters new to competing were not welcomed. The ball-busting is always legendary, and no doubt some lessons are learned and taught in that too.

I'm also looking at hitting a match off the Eastern seaboard this year. Prolly down in TX since I just made a friend there, they've got a few kickass comps, and I want to retire there anyhow.

--Fargo007

I have a bit of good news, albeit late.

My clipboard was lost, and up until today I was convinced all the score sheets were on it.

I was wrong.

Cleaning out my workshop, I found a box in the corner.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that somebody on the staff must have taken the sheets off my clipboard and stuck them in that box.

They are all recovered, and I'm happy to post the scores from the Team Match.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=...amp;output=html

Looking forward to seeing everyone at our next one.

--Fargo007

Cool. Thanks Freddy. Looking forward to June.