• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

About To Buy A Rifle in .308 Win Steyr Vs. Bergara Vs. Howa?

coderz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2021
Montana
Ok, 6.5 creed is out before anyone says anything. I reload my own ammo, and 30 caliber bullets like .308, 30-06 and eventually .300 PRC are what I want to stick to, but thanks ;). All of these rifles are within a few hundred of each other which makes this hard.

I've been eyeballing and just can't decide between the three different rifles I've narrowed this down too for long range.

The Steyr Arms Pro THB and preferably the 26 inch (though they make this same rifle in 20 inch) seems to be an excellent choice. My gut instinct tells me go for this one, that said the chassis on it and the stock are nothing impressive. Still, it seems like a sub-MOA amazing rifle. You can see this below:
https://www.scopelist.com/Steyr-Arm...5-8x24-Tactical-Heavy-Bbl-Rifle-56343G3G.aspx

Then next up is the Howa 1500 with the awesome heavy aluminum precision chassis and the decent scope and bipod package. As far as value goes this does look good.
https://battlehawkarmory.com/produc...osition-luth-ar-mba-4-waluminum-chassis-stock

Lastly the rifle everyone loves to love is the Bergara B14 HMR
and in this case I was looking at the woodland wilderness camo version. Seems like the best action in terms of smoothness?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ber...-bolt-action-rifle-woodland-camo-b14s371.html

Out of these rifles what would people here recommend and what experiences do you have with these said rifles to justify one over the other etc? Thanks so much for your help, they're all just too good to pick!

Out of those three and no other info, my vote is the Howa. In that price range why not an RPR?

if you want better info from people, give some more info.

How far is long range for you? 300 yards? 900? 1500?
what will you be doing with it? pack it up a mountain to hunt, or carry it to the benchrest in the backyard
what accuracy are you looking for at what range? 1inch at 100yards? 1inch at 300yards? Minute of IPSC at 500?
you shooting it off a bench, truck window, cookie, tree stand?
will it be used for anything other then paper/steel?

-C

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I’d look for the Howa in the oryx chassis and grab an Arken scope, but it’ll be a heavy rig for lugging around the mountains.

Out of those three and no other info, my vote is the Howa. In that price range why not an RPR?

if you want better info from people, give some more info.

How far is long range for you? 300 yards? 900? 1500?
what will you be doing with it? pack it up a mountain to hunt, or carry it to the benchrest in the backyard
what accuracy are you looking for at what range? 1inch at 100yards? 1inch at 300yards? Minute of IPSC at 500?
you shooting it off a bench, truck window, cookie, tree stand?
will it be used for anything other then paper/steel?

-C

Fair points. I want a precision rifle, but also a rifle that could potentially be brought into the mountains for hunting at some point. I'll admit, the Bergara seems to fit that bill the most. That said, top accuracy from a bench is the highest priority even over hunting. I don't know that the Steyr will underperform though in any of those. Thought?

The Howa chassis has a magazine release in front of the magazine, which is not conducive to barrier shooting.

In the Best Buy category would be waiting until Brownells gets Howa Barreled Actions back in stock and buying that plus the stock of your choice.

-Stan

I have a steyr ssg04 in 308. Love it. Come w bipod and rail. Sub moa at 100 yd w any 168gr match ammo. Only major issue is no aftermarket support. Can’t get an upgrade stock for it.

The Bergara is the better deal, imo.
You're saving near $300 you could put towards better glass or ammo. Decent stock, and it's cerakoted.

Tikka UPR, compares in price to the first two.

Looks like they have dumped most of the CTR models in .308, that would be my 2nd choice. You could luck up and find a blued 24".

How refreshing. Someone actually asks which is best instead of making a purchase and then asking everyone if he did ok. Have no experience with Styer’s but the Howa and Begara are both pretty decent rifles. Yep, you can purchase better than these three, but the answer to that is a whole lot more $$. Probably do ok with any of your choices.

The Steyr has a stock with a poor flexible forend, far and away the most expensive to get re-barreled and by far the least aftermarket support.

It's also the one I would buy. lol I just like em. Love most things about my scout. Regret passing on a few Pro Hunters. Was mere ounces away from a mouse click to purchase a 6.5THB but held off. Went another route instead. Really like what I bought instead, but my desire for the THB is still there. When I come up with a new excuse or new caliber to try in one, I'll probably buy one.

(Edit to add: Crap that didn't take long. About 45 seconds for new reasoning (excuse) to hit me. I can buy the THB in 6.5 when I replace the barrel in my current 6.5CM. I'll just rebarrel that to something else. Genius!)

Last edited:
The package may seem like a deal, but you can just walk that Nikko Sterling scope (and probably the mount/rings) straight to the trash can. I’ll not bad mouth the bipod as I still use a Harris/clone, but it certainly isn’t anything special- and being unnamed probably means it’s a knockoff instead of an actual Harris.

As has been posted above, you’re pretty much stuck with how the Steyr comes to you, so you better like it.

The Bergara is a Rem clone, so you have built in aftermarket support.

I haven’t read anything bad about the howas.

All of them are to heavy for me to want to take on a sheep or goat hunt.

get this instead:

I believe they also make a version with 24" barrel if you have short barrel issues.

you're getting an excellent barrel, trigger, and action. is NOT compatible with R700 aftermarket upgrades, but if you are on a budget and don't feel a need to upgrade stuff every 6 months, this is an excellent choice

I think you'll get better reliability and usage out of the Tikka over the choices you presented.

If you decide you want a different stock/chassis, the KRG Bravo works great with it for a great price and will upgrade you to AICS magazines as well.

If you want smoothness, Tikka > Bergara

I would have to go with the B14 out of those options for adjustable stock, barrel quality, and pre-fit compatibility.

I have the styer THB in 308 I allso put it in a mannors stock I purchase thru styer this rifle is well worth the money and will serve you bench shooting and a carry rifle.You cant go wrong not a lot of after market as they dont need any.
Rick

Reactions: silentheart
Of those you listed, I would say the Bergara, and I like Howa rifles alot.
1. If you decide to upgrade to a chassis, there are more options.
2. More folks would want your take off stock, as it is a 700 footprint.
3. Price

I have the styer THB in 308 I allso put it in a mannors stock I purchase thru styer this rifle is well worth the money and will serve you bench shooting and a carry rifle.You cant go wrong not a lot of after market as they dont need any.
Rick
Thank you all so much for all this help. The HOWA with the chases mentioned on gun broker does seem great, then again so does this Tikka.

I think I'm down to the Tikka or the Steyr. I'm leaning towards the Steyr if I don't want to change anything. What MOA can I expect even without changing the stock on the Steyr? What kind of groups are you getting with the THB .308 Steyr, and what's your barrel length friend?

Mine is 24in. I got my first ssg04 and a friend tried and shot 3/4 moa on his first outing with ppu 168 bt match ammo. He was so impressed that he insist buying it off me. So, I sold it to him and bought another ssg04. My 2nd ssg04 give me 1/2 moa group indoor during sight in twice. In the hind sight, I should have gone w a ssg08. I just could not justify extra $2k for the same gun with better chassis.
Steyr plastic stock is on soft side, just don’t lean in too much.
Any Tikka heavier barrel will do the same accuracy as steyr. steyr has noticeable thinner profile barrel compare to my sako trg22.
Both steyr and tikka are great choice. I would pick tikka for better aftermarket support.

Last edited:
You should also consider the Bergara HMR Pro with 20 inch barrel in 308. All stainless. Cerakote. Smooth action. Bore approaches custom level. Amazingly accurate. Assembled in US.

Reactions: Robert4
Mine is 24in. I got my first ssg04 and a friend tried and shot 3/4 moa on his first outing with ppu 168 bt match ammo. He was so impressed that he insist buying it off me. So, I sold it to him and bought another ssg04. My 2nd ssg04 give me 1/2 moa group indoor during sight in twice. In the hind sight, I should have gone w a ssg08. I just could not justify extra $2k for the same gun with better chassis.
Steyr plastic stock is on soft side, just don’t lean in too much.
Any Tikka heavier barrel will do the same accuracy as steyr. steyr has noticeable thinner profile barrel compare to my sako trg22.
Both steyr and tikka are great choice. I would pick tikka for better aftermarket support.
But according to Sniper Central some ammo like 175gr BTHP actually got 0.25 MOA groups with the THB?

I also get that their test might depend on a lot of factors like the barrel lottery etc. But I'm wondering what metrics you're going by to say Tikka shoots better or "as good as Steyr"? I'm not saying you're wrong by the way, I'm just wondering?

Also, wouldn't a heavier barrel Tikka be a lot more expensive? The Tikka cited above the T3X UTR I believe is NOT a heavy barrel Tikka (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Also, as far as the stock goes with the Steyr THB it's functional has rail, if I'm doing mostly bench shooting what difference does it make if I'm not leaning into the gun much etc?

Can you provide further tests details to the Tikka though beating quarter MOA based on Sniper Central's test? I also believe Sniper Central is not completely unfounded in how they conduct their tests?

But according to Sniper Central some ammo like 175gr BTHP actually got 0.25 MOA groups with the THB?

I also get that their test might depend on a lot of factors like the barrel lottery etc. But I'm wondering what metrics you're going by to say Tikka shoots better or "as good as Steyr"? I'm not saying you're wrong by the way, I'm just wondering?

Also, wouldn't a heavier barrel Tikka be a lot more expensive? The Tikka cited above the T3X UTR I believe is NOT a heavy barrel Tikka (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Also, as far as the stock goes with the Steyr THB it's functional has rail, if I'm doing mostly bench shooting what difference does it make if I'm not leaning into the gun much etc?

Can you provide further tests details to the Tikka though beating quarter MOA based on Sniper Central's test? I also believe Sniper Central is not completely unfounded in how they conduct their tests?

Sounds like you made up your mind, but aren't listening to what several have said.
You will eventually want a new stock, or maybe even a chassis.
The bergara, being a 700 footprint, gives you the most options, followed by the Tikka and trailing way back of the pack, the Steyer.
They make a very fine, accurate rifle. If that's what you want, buy it.

Tikka options are very limited generally speaking. Definitely keep that in mind if you like to tinker and swap out parts.

Tikka options are limited but I have to say their TAC A1 does amuse me.

That thing is awesome. That said, I've heard better reviews on it for the 6.5 creed versus the .308. The gun doesn't seem to be as accurate even at say 100 yards with the .308. Maybe someone can speak to this?

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Ruger RPR had the same issue I think

.308 wouldn't group as well as the 6.5CM

Never heard that about the A1

I think a CTR in a chassis of your choice would be a better way to go even if spending more.

KRG Bravo is a lightweight and budget option I'm a huge fan of.

Ruger RPR had the same issue I think

.308 wouldn't group as well as the 6.5CM

Never heard that about the A1

I think a CTR in a chassis of your choice would be a better way to go even if spending more.

KRG Bravo is a lightweight and budget option I'm a huge fan of.
Gotcha! I really appreciate everyone here, but I went with the 26 inch barrel version of the Steyr from Battlehawk armory. I get that it doesn't have these fancy bells and whistles (many of which I don't want actually). I think that Steyr's THB gun is still a great rifle and based on those tests from Sniper Central it shot lights out and got quarter MOA or better with with some match ammo etc. which I get partially might be luck, but it's a sub-MOA gun and I don't need anymore accuracy than that.

The trigger also seems decent right out of the box etc. I think it will work great for me, and the 600 saved versus the Tikka can go for a better optic later or accessories like bipods etc.

I'm also super into reloading so I'll roll a lot of my own ammo here, and I suppose you'll want me to report back at the groups I get eh? ;) I'll mess around with various loads, altering seating depths slightly etc. but I have a feeling with RAMSHOT TAC powder and 175gr Sierra King Match ammo this might be a beast.

I thought about the RPR and went with the Steyr, I sort of like the fact it's simple without all that stuff. Not disparaging the RPR though in general for the price. I do think they're a great value rifle etc. no doubt.

I thought about the RPR and went with the Steyr, I sort of like the fact it's simple without all that stuff. Not disparaging the RPR though in general for the price. I do think they're a great value rifle etc. no doubt.
FYI- The trigger is fully adjustable & they are very good once you turn it down to around 1-1/2 or 2#
You'll like the mags, they give you plenty of room to load long. Way long as in 3.150.
Also the Steyr should have a 308 W cip chamber = .250 freebore vs. the saami .114 freebore. i.e. you can load longer.

One thing that's misleading in the add for the THB you posted. These do not come with a 10 round mag, they come with 5.

If you do want the 10 round conversion PM me.

This is what you'll need.
IMG_7389.jpg
THB mag next to an ARC AICS mag. The 10 round Steyr mag is shorter than the shortest 10 round AICS & gives you plus .170 load length.
IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5575.jpg

Ok, 6.5 creed is out before anyone says anything. I reload my own ammo, and 30 caliber bullets like .308, 30-06 and eventually .300 PRC are what I want to stick to, but thanks ;). All of these rifles are within a few hundred of each other which makes this hard.

I've been eyeballing and just can't decide between the three different rifles I've narrowed this down too for long range.

The Steyr Arms Pro THB and preferably the 26 inch (though they make this same rifle in 20 inch) seems to be an excellent choice. My gut instinct tells me go for this one, that said the chassis on it and the stock are nothing impressive. Still, it seems like a sub-MOA amazing rifle. You can see this below:
https://www.scopelist.com/Steyr-Arm...5-8x24-Tactical-Heavy-Bbl-Rifle-56343G3G.aspx

Then next up is the Howa 1500 with the awesome heavy aluminum precision chassis and the decent scope and bipod package. As far as value goes this does look good.
https://battlehawkarmory.com/produc...osition-luth-ar-mba-4-waluminum-chassis-stock

Lastly the rifle everyone loves to love is the Bergara B14 HMR
and in this case I was looking at the woodland wilderness camo version. Seems like the best action in terms of smoothness?
https://palmettostatearmory.com/ber...-bolt-action-rifle-woodland-camo-b14s371.html

Out of these rifles what would people here recommend and what experiences do you have with these said rifles to justify one over the other etc? Thanks so much for your help, they're all just too good to pick!
I may have gotten a lemon, but my 308 Howa 1500 was disappointing. Personally I’d go savage over Howa (again, could have gotten lemon).

FYI- The trigger is fully adjustable & they are very good once you turn it down to around 1-1/2 or 2#
You'll like the mags, they give you plenty of room to load long. Way long as in 3.150.
Also the Steyr should have a 308 W cip chamber = .250 freebore vs. the saami .114 freebore. i.e. you can load longer.

One thing that's misleading in the add for the THB you posted. These do not come with a 10 round mag, they come with 5.

If you do want the 10 round conversion PM me.

This is what you'll need.
View attachment 8022415THB mag next to an ARC AICS mag. The 10 round Steyr mag is shorter than the shortest 10 round AICS & gives you plus .170 load length.
View attachment 8022417View attachment 8022419
Great information on the mags friend. In this case the 5 rounds vs 10 rounds deal doesn't bother me much. It sounds like with the adjustable trigger etc. what you're telling me is this is a great shooting rifle generally speaking for the most part? I haven't yet received the rifle yet, but when I do believe me I'll be doing a detailed workup on it.

Reactions: 357Max