• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 223 conversion working

so I can get a bolt head from you and change that out on my bolt body and can go back and fourth to my .308 bolt head without problems? If that is correct can you pm me or something so I can get that and a barrel going and get me a 223 trainer?

It was mentioned at some point in this thread that that is not a great plan. The roll pins and their respective bores are not meant for that, and will loosen over time. @trophyhunter can elaborate on this more as I believe he did this for testing.

I'm in the process of trying to track down a bolt too and yea it sucks, but I'm not half-assing something as nice (and expensive) as my AT. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right. Just my opinion.

I get what you are saying but I have been looking for one for some time and have come up dry. Tried Euro and Mile High again and they said nope. They couldnt estimate a time in the future when they might get one from AI.

@Bugholes Will the firing pin protrusion vary from the 308 bolt or should we be able to use the same firing pin for both?
Thanks

I get what you are saying but I have been looking for one for some time and have come up dry. Tried Euro and Mile High again and they said nope. They couldnt estimate a time in the future when they might get one from AI.
I've gotten the same answer from them too. Hopefully with enough of us looking it can get something going. In the meantime, I feel it is not wise to potentially damage something else that would need replacement. And again this is my opinion.

so I can get a bolt head from you and change that out on my bolt body and can go back and fourth to my .308 bolt head without problems? If that is correct can you pm me or something so I can get that and a barrel going and get me a 223 trainer?
Technically you can, that’s what I do. But as mentioned the roll pins are the weak part. With enough in & out they either weaken and split become to small to provide tension to the holes, eventually working themselves loose.

But I currently run 3 bolt heads on my 1 bolt body and firing pin, 223/308/WSM

So if they come a little lose, I can just get some more roll pins and replace the worn ones? Thing is, I always talk about shooting a lot but for the most part, once I put a barrel on or get rounds ready, that is all I shoot for a while. If I did get the bolt head, I probably would not change it out but a few times a yr. The 223 is just so much cheaper to shoot than the rest and I have a metric crap ton of high end 223 bullets already.

Please pm me with info on what the bolt head, mag and barrel would cost. Thank you, RG

So if they come a little lose, I can just get some more roll pins and replace the worn ones? Thing is, I always talk about shooting a lot but for the most part, once I put a barrel on or get rounds ready, that is all I shoot for a while. If I did get the bolt head, I probably would not change it out but a few times a yr. The 223 is just so much cheaper to shoot than the rest and I have a metric crap ton of high end 223 bullets already.

Please pm me with info on what the bolt head, mag and barrel would cost. Thank you, RG

They just need to stop with the Aftermarket United States Competition trigger and return to the original UK AI Trigger

It was the comp shooters that fucked it up because they can't handle the extra stage so they need a "new" trigger and that trigger was never right... no disrespect to Todd, but ... you all asked for it. You deserve the problems you created. I own 10 AI rifles and not a single one has a comp trigger and not a single one has gone down.

I would never touch a comp trigger in an AI, change it out for an original, and that ATX will be all it's advertised to be... the competition people are fucking idiots and forced a change that was never needed, you asked, they provided now you don't like it

They just need to stop with the Aftermarket United States Competition trigger and return to the original UK AI Trigger

It was the comp shooters that fucked it up because they can't handle the extra stage so they need a "new" trigger and that trigger was never right... no disrespect to Todd, but ... you all asked for it. You deserve the problems you created. I own 10 AI rifles and not a single one has a comp trigger and not a single one has gone down.

I would never touch a comp trigger in an AI, change it out for an original, and that ATX will be all it's advertised to be... the competition people are fucking idiots and forced a change that was never needed, you asked, they provided now you don't like it
There are very light 2 stage triggers for multiple platforms that are very reliable.... No reason to not ask for and expect AI to be able to produce one. It's unfortunate that people are having problems with them but I don't think AI should ditch the idea. They should just fix it or start over because the fact is most people prefer sub 1lb triggers for comps whether you think it's needed or not.

Reactions: rancher5
There are very light 2 stage triggers for multiple platforms that are very reliable.... No reason to not ask for and expect AI to be able to produce one. It's unfortunate that people are have problems with them but I don't think AI should ditch the idea. They should just fix it or start over because the fact is most people prefer sub 1lb triggers for comps whether you think it's needed or not.

Tom Myers makes it, it's a CG Jackson trigger, it was never right, he supplies the military some triggers tell him, not AI

PS not to ruin this post but I may or may not have a 224 Bolt Head coming for my AI

I am going Valkyrie with one

And I was at MHSA this week with the 3 guys,

Adam identified what is most likely the issue, it's fixable, although I highly doubt anyone will fix it

If Adam is right, and someone actually does it, I bet the trigger will be excellent after, but the work will never get done

Reactions: Bravo6niner
Tom Myers makes it, it's a CG Jackson trigger, it was never right, he supplies the military some triggers tell him, not AI

PS not to ruin this post but I may or may not have a 224 Bolt Head coming for my AI

I am going Valkyrie with one
I guess we can agree to disagree but whether or not they produce it they put their name on it. So it's up to AI to fix the problem by asking him to fix it, going somewhere else, or making it themselves.

it will get dropped, nobody will fix it, been a lot of years already

it's a well-known problem, the competition trigger has NEVER been right, they have been on the street for a while, so if you run one and don't Loctite it or replace it, it's on the shooter at this point.

It's known, has been known, not a secret or a surprise, so if you are still using it, didn't guard against it, you screwed up.

Am I correct in remembering that it was the trigger failures that lost AI the last military competition they were in and why it went to Barrett instead?
Had they stuck with the good old original triggers they may have won?

One could imply they lost the ASR and the MRAD won it because the Trigger

and it's the same trigger ...

Some people reported the screw backs out and the adjustment creeps so use nail polish and hit the screws after you have it adjusted correctly
Is this just on one’s you adjust or also AT-X’s from the factory?

One could imply they lost the ASR and the MRAD won it because the Trigger

and it's the same trigger ...

Some people reported the screw backs out and the adjustment creeps so use nail polish and hit the screws after you have it adjusted correctly
Isn't that what everybody does with every trigger anyway...?

I thought one of the main culprits for having issues with the comp trigger was adjusting it to a single stage and/or going sub-1.0#. Obviously it was marketed as being able to do both of those things, but anecdotally it seemed that 2-stage settings above 1# were better.

Personally I bought one of the very first comp triggers, and have it as a 2-stage at 1.25# total weight, with 10oz/10oz first and second stages. I did have an issue where after my first season using it the bolt would sporadically fail to stay cocked when cycling, so I had to adjust the sear per the instructions and haven’t had an issue since. It took probably 1500-2000 rounds to experience that issue.

That being said, I have two comp triggers at a current cost of ~$500/ea, so my expectations are to have zero issues. If there’s a fix that MH or AI know about that won’t be implemented, that would be a shame. There’s also no going back for me; I’m not going to shoot the factory 3# trigger at positional-heavy matches, and I’m not going to adjust the factory trigger to sub-3# because when I did it definitely wasn’t drop safe.

Not to derail this thread further....but why don't all of us AI shooters band together and ask AI to partner with Triggertech and have them do what they do best...develop a light and safe trigger. It's the last thing missing from this great platform!

Reactions: rancher5
Not to derail this thread further....but why don't all of us AI shooters band together and ask AI to partner with Triggertech and have them do what they do best...develop a light and safe trigger. It's the last thing missing from this great platform!
I’ll take the ability to shoot 223 first

I swear this exact idea was brought up like 3-4 years ago, just before the comp trigger was announced, and it got zero traction with TT

Reactions: M8541Reaper
FYI
We never sell bolt heads or bolt bodies without a bolt head to anyone. We strongly recommend that nobody change one of our bolt heads as this is a serious safety concern.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International
Can you explain why this is a safety concern?

Any ideas on when you might be producing the 223 components through Ai?

Reactions: Bravo6niner
it's not gonna happen in our lifetimes lol
I am starting to see that many folks are fed up with waiting on Ai to come to market with stuff...

I figured I'd ask him rather than just give him a hard time though. If there is a serious safety concern and not just them wanting to stop someone else from selling stuff... I would think they would be interested in explaining the concern so it can be considered / corrected to keep folks safe

If it's more of a "stay out of my sandbox" thing then I assume they would not answer and aftermarket suppliers will continue to produce what they do not.

If it is the latter...
Hopefully the folks making money in aftermarket will push them to produce a factory option

Can you explain why this is a safety concern?

Any ideas on when you might be producing the 223 components through Ai?
We at AI manufacture bolt heads and bolt bodies to our designs. These designs have been tested with barrel block testing to prove they are safe.
The bolt head material is a very high tensile strength steel which is also very expensive. We assemble those components to our process and every bolt is proof tested in a CIP Proof House in England. We have built tens of thousands of these over the years and continue to produce them daily.
If someone outside of AI tampers with one of our bolt heads then that is a safety concern. Our designs will have been changed, it is unlikely they have had barrel block testing and they almost certainly do not undergo proof testing.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

We at AI manufacture bolt heads and bolt bodies to our designs. These designs have been tested with barrel block testing to prove they are safe.
The bolt head material is a very high tensile strength steel which is also very expensive. We assemble those components to our process and every bolt is proof tested in a CIP Proof House in England. We have built tens of thousands of these over the years and continue to produce them daily.
If someone outside of AI tampers with one of our bolt heads then that is a safety concern. Our designs will have been changed, it is unlikely they have had barrel block testing and they almost certainly do not undergo proof testing.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International
Tom,

With all that information you just provided and seeing that there is such a demand for a 223 bolt for AI that it has forced the aftermarket to create one, is there a reason we have not seen a 223 bolt available for purchase? Thanks

Tom,

With all that information you just provided and seeing that there is such a demand for a 223 bolt for AI that it has forced the aftermarket to create one, is there a reason we have not seen a 223 bolt available for purchase? Thanks
We have a list of projects currently in development and the AT-X family is a part of that. Currently a 223 version is not included but that is not an indication we will not be considering it in the future.
I do not want to state that we will have a 223 and then have to read about how long it is going to take etc.
We will decide on which products to develop based on the market and the level of effort required. New product development is not as simple as many people think if it is being done properly.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

...These designs have been tested with barrel block testing to prove they are safe...
...It is unlikely they have had barrel block testing and they almost certainly do not undergo proof testing...
Thank you for the explanation and I was personally unaware to what lengths you guys go in pressure testing...

This gives good context to your position, and is appreciated

Side note... I would be curiously interested in knowing what pressures you guys have tested to
...I do not want to state that we will have a 223 and then have to read about how long it is going to take etc...

...New product development is not as simple as many people think if it is being done properly...
With the number of impatient folks (myself included frequently) I can understand this position as well, and appreciate that you don't plan to turn something out without due diligence.

Thanks for your explanations, as well as any updates you are able to provide