• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 223 conversion working

Anyone who has said that AI is not the end-all be-all for all applications is correct. They are a purpose built rifle that's designed to function in all conditions.
From a competition point of view, they are indeed "less than perfect" as the heavy bolt lift and high center of gravity make them easy to disturb while on the PRS clock. This however doesn't detract from their quality and value for a specific audience, and not everyone is in this audience.
The purpose of this conversion is to offer those who appreciate the attributes of the AI rifle system another option, a demand that AI has failed to address.
We intend to continue the direction that Gilbert and Enrique started, and make the best part possible.

We have no plans to develop or offer an AIMC version of this conversion

That's what I assumed as well. If you look back a page, he said R2 has some improvements to the bolt lug geometry for a smoother lock-up. Just curious to know if this is getting put aside to help get the kits out sooner or just a typo.

So, do I still need to get a different bolt to be able to use the 223 when they are ready for release?

Can you get the bare bolt body only?
Eurooptic only list the complete bolt assembly.

If you're buying new, as Gilbert said because of the price difference it makes the most sense to buy a complete bolt assembly so you have a spare bolt tail and firing pin assembly.

It's a bit of a long shot as they don't come up for sale that often, but the most cost effective option is try to buy a used large firing pin bolt body and head off the PX here from someone who upgraded to a small firing pin bolt, and use that for the 223 conversion with your existing small firing pin bolt tail assembly. Or if they sell the LFP bolt complete just pick up a small firing pin from Mile High and install that at the same time as the 223 conversion.

I lucked out as one of my AX308s that I bought used off the PX here came with both small and large firing pin complete bolt assemblies. I had Enrique do the 223 conversion on the LFP bolt body and bought a replacement small firing pin from Mile high, now I have a complete 308 bolt and complete 223 bolt.

Did I mention the 223 conversions are awesome? :p

Last edited:
can I get this from mile high and add a small firing pin to it?

Accuracy International: SA 308 Small Firing Pin Bolt Body​

You can, but something to keep in mind: I believe Gilbert and Enrique changed the receiver face to bolt face dimension on the 223 bolt sightly (on the order of 0.010-0.015" rings a bell, but I'm going from memory at the moment as my rifle measurements are on my computer at home)-- so if you share firing pin assemblies with another bolt with a genuine AI 308 bolt head with a different nominal receiver face to bolt face dimension, the firing pin protrusion will be different between the 223 and 308 bolt assemblies.

Different enough to cause a misfire from not enough protrusion, or a pierced primer from excessive firing pin protrusion? Probably not, but it's something to keep in mind. You might be able to adjust the firing pin to provide a happy protrusion median between both the 308 bolt and 223 bolt so you can share a single firing pin assembly between the 223 and 308 bolt bodies.

Greg / Gilbert, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: long range sponge
I got the impression @Kiba was suggesting a dedicated complete .223 bolt assembly... Your point is taken though, thanks for the info.

Ok so regarding semantics, gilberts bolt head is the original
R stands for revision, so what we will offer should be called R1 or revision #1
R1 has closing cam geometry changes to make bolt close smoother
That's it
Are you working on an R2 though?
Thanks

I got the impression @Kiba was suggesting a dedicated complete .223 bolt assembly... Your point is taken though, thanks for the info.

I was just pointing out if he intends to share a firing pin assembly between a factory AI 308 bolt body/head and one of the 223 conversion bolt body/heads, there's a ~0.011" difference in headspace difference between the two bolts and firing pin protrusion will vary by about 0.011" when swapping between the 308 and 223 bolt. If you're going to share a firing pin assembly between a genuine AI 308 bolt head/body and a 223 conversion bolt head/body, you need to make sure you have proper firing pin protrusion on each bolt to avoid either misfires from not enough protrusion or the possibility of a pierced primer from too much protrusion.

I just looked up my headspace measurements and the 223 conversion bolt headspaces about 0.011" tighter than the AI 308 bolts (this is by design according to Enrique)-- so if you share a firing pin assembly between a 308 and 223 bolt, the firing pin protrusion will decrease by about 0.011" on the 223 bolt compared to the 308 bolt since the 223 bolt face sits 0.011" closer to the front of the action. If you set the firing pin protrusion for about 0.035"-0.040" on the 223 bolt that will be about 0.046"-0.051" on a 308 bolt, so it should work just fine on both bolts.

The AI firing pins have dimples in them for the locking setscrew and I believe you can adjust them in half turn increments, so you should be able to find a setting that provides good protrusion on both the 308 and the 223 bolts to allow sharing a firing pin assembly without having to readjust firing pin protrusion when swapping.

It's just something you need to measure and possibly adjust when starting out if you plan on swapping one firing pin assembly between a 308 and 223 conversion bolt. Better to measure and adjust it at home on the bench if needed before you get out to your shooting spot and have issues.

Last edited:
I would most likely get the bolt body and firing pin assembly if I can find it. I don't see a firing pin assembly on Mile highs web site, just the bolt body and small firing pin by itself. They have the sr and mc assembly shown but not one for the ax. Are they the same?

Ok, they are not the same so I would have to either find the firing pin assembly or swap mine back and fourth between my 308 and 223. Is it hard to adjust the depth on the firing pin protrusion? If I did swap them between the 2, it would also save a few hundred bucks, if not more.

The headspace difference between the 223 and 308 bolts is only about 0.011", but because of tolerance stacking it might be a little less or more depending on your components.

0.011" isn't much, but if your firing pin protrusion is already marginal with the 308 bolt it might not be enough on the 0.011" longer 223 bolt and you might get misfires and light strikes from not enough firing pin protrusion.

Like I mentioned above, you should be able to adjust a single firing pin assembly to work properly with good protrusion on both bolts. As long as you have about 0.035" minimum protrusion on the 223 bolt, it will swap between both bolts and be just fine. I wouldn't want any less than 0.035" protrusion on either bolt, so adjust it as necessary.

Adjusting firing pin protrusion on an AI bolt is cake, you remove the upper setscrew that locks the lower setscrew, then loosen the lower setscrew that locks into the dimples on the firing pin, and thread the firing pin in and out to adjust protrusion. Just make sure you re-seat the lower setscrew into the dimple on the firing pin so you don't ding up the threads or risk it coming loose and rotating under use.

Semantics aside: The improvements that they have been working on are being implemented.
I'm just trying to find out...are all the improvements being put in production...or are there further tweaks being worked on?

Reactions: Kwe1982
I'm just trying to find out...are all the improvements being put in production...or are there further tweaks being worked on?
Ok so regarding semantics, gilberts bolt head is the original
R stands for revision, so what we will offer should be called R1 or revision #1
R1 has closing cam geometry changes to make bolt close smoother
That's it
Regardless of name, it sounds like the improved closing cam geometry is being put into production.

Bugholes, I'm sure you've been busy but I hope this is still going to happen.
I have a few questions regarding the conversion kit.
1. Will you need the rifle in hand to complete the conversion?
2. Will the kits come with a magazine(s)?
3. Are the magazines something we could modify ourselves if we wanted to?

Thanks!

Reactions: RS14

Thanks!
I think I know most is this and probably your biggest worry, no they won’t need you rifle. Most likely it’ll come with mags. And modifying is rather easy, but if you’re like me, I can screw up a ball bearing.

guys I typed up a menu of prices today and hope to get them posted tomorrow or some time this week
I will email those who are on the notify/waiting list and they will get first crack at the first run of R2 kits
will post here the pricing and other pertinent info after the first wave of guys has been notified

Thanks!
1. no
2. I will have magazines available for sale
3. I will post the modification procedure and specs im using so you can mod your own mags

Im not in the business of selling mags, so it would be best if you get something from me to start, then you can make all the backup mags you want. Id rather not sell the mags but I believe it is necessary for the success of the system. or at least to get started

Hi,

Greg (@Bugholes), what about bolts? I've been on the notify list with both Euro & Mile High for months & apparently they're about like sourcing hen's teeth.

Sincerely,
J-Ham

Thanks for the speedy reply and good news all around! I'm looking forward to trading cash for hardware!
Im not in the business of selling mags, so it would be best if you get something from me to start, then you can make all the backup mags you want. Id rather not sell the mags but I believe it is necessary for the success of the system. or at least to get started
Understood, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm afraid of this being a major bottle neck to getting these kits up and going. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Hi,

Greg (@Bugholes), what about bolts? I've been on the notify list with both Euro & Mile High for months & apparently they're about like sourcing hen's teeth.

Sincerely,
J-Ham

same here on the bolts, they have them in other setups but not the AX that I have. Has been a long time since they have been in stock.

Hi,

Sincerely,
J-Ham
I have a few complete SFP bolts and some bolt bodies. Ive been getting what I can but it's a little limited. I would encourage you guys to source your own bolts, if possible. The stuff I have now will, of course, be offered first to those that have been on my notify list for the past several months

I have a few complete SFP bolts and some bolt bodies. Ive been getting what I can but it's a little limited. I would encourage you guys to source your own bolts, if possible. The stuff I have now will, of course, be offered first to those that have been on my notify list for the past several months
Hi,

I'll take one! 🤣

Sincerely,
J-Ham

Hi,

Sincerely,
J-Ham
I’d call, cause I’ve known of a load of bolts that have been shipping out. I literally have 9 bolts here for mod to WSM/PRC bolt face. They’re available, but call

Reactions: J-Ham
same here on the bolts, they have them in other setups but not the AX that I have. Has been a long time since they have been in stock.
What setup do you have?
The AX bolt is same as AT

Or are you talking long action?

The bolt you want is 26547BL for short action

SO ive reached out to everyone in my initial email notification list
all complete bolts are gone
all bolt bodies are gone
I can still do the conversion on one of your SFP bolts and can offer to anyone who is interested at this time
I have several more heads ready
I have 224 barrels inbound

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Thanks Greg.

• Wow