• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 223 conversion working

Congrats on getting these bad boys working.

I too am familiar with the “have fun, good luck” AI conversation ?
I get where they are interested in selling new rifles, not modding the old one. But come on why can't we mod the 350 chevy while they build the new ZR1. Not everyone can buy the new rifle every year :poop:. To me the aftermarket parts would help keep the value high, demand for older models would still be there and It'll give new life to your rifle.

Reactions: samb300 and Fitz
Very good news you are going get one piece bolts made from another vendor... Getting spares from AI is often a lengthy process, and as much as I hate to say it, it's a good thing they won't be in your supply chain.

For my situation, I happen to have a spare bolt body with a 308 LFP bolt head that's sitting in the safe I'd want to use for the conversion if you are going to offer both bolt heads for existing AI bolt bodies as well as offering the new single piece bolt, but I understand if you only want to produce one part to simplify things.

Have a price nailed down yet, or still too early for that?
I think I have prices, I will confirm in the AM and post here

I think I have prices, I will confirm in the AM and post here

Excellent.

I have 2 AX's, but only plan on running this 223 kit in one. I love my 223AI Archimedes that sits in an AX stock, but might as well have another 223AI in one of the actual AI AX308's too, lol. 223AI is a great caliber to shoot.

Guess I need to call bartlein and get another 224 gain twist marksman blank ordered...

Reactions: trophyhunter
Hate to hear AI wasn’t more on board. But glad to hear your still moving forward and have another option in the works. Wish I had the free cash to spend on this right now. @samb300 accuracy obsession chassis got all my spare cash for now. Lol.

Excellent.

I have 2 AX's, but only plan on running this 223 kit in one. I love my 223AI Archimedes that sits in an AX stock, but might as well have another 223AI in one of the actual AI AX308's too, lol. 223AI is a great caliber to shoot.

Guess I need to call bartlein and get another 224 gain twist marksman blank ordered...
I really enjoy the benefits of the 223AI, but in all honesty you can feel it more than the 223. On bolt close, i don't feel the 223 feed from mag or into chamber cause of the shoulder. The 223AI you can definitely tell the shoulders are there. But in last months Sotex match i don't recall ever feeling it. But yesterday on the bench getting stuff ready for the Brawl i could tell the shoulder was there. It has to be the way i run the bolt in the match differently then on a bench.

Prices are as follows
$1400 for conversion on existing/new bolt body (includes barrel, mag and converted bolt head on bolt body)

$1050 for conversion on existing/new bolt body ***minus barrel, (includes barrel work, mag and converted bolt head on bolt body)

$85 additional mags
$750 additional barrel

Last edited:
Agreed on 223 vs 223AI, there are certain situations where those 40 degree shoulders make themselves known.

The conversion cost is actually very reasonable IMO... Hope you move a bunch of them.

What barrel blanks are you going to be using, and what's the cost on extra mags?

Off to search for a barrel blank, or possibly order one from bartlein even though it's probably 6 months out...

Sooooo when can I ship you a rifle and spare bolt? Lol
How close is UPS to you ? LOL

We're already doing them, just pending barrels based on what customer wants. Barrels don't get ordered till the customer specifies contour, twist and all that good stuff. This also adds a bit of time, but not much as I source all barrels from fastest supplier, not the cheapest that benefits me. I will also advise on what is available and IN STOCK to get rifles back to you in a timely manner. I ain't waiting on supplier or manufacturer for 12wks for a $20 profit.

• Love
Reactions: SkyScrapin
Agreed on 223 vs 223AI, there are certain situations where those 40 degree shoulders make themselves known.

That's actually very reasonable IMO... Hope you move a bunch of them.

What barrel blanks are you going to be using, and what's the cost on extra mags?

Off to search for a barrel blank, or possibly order one from bartlein even though it's probably 6 months out...
I order barrels when you tell me to. I have done mostly bartleins since those have been most available. I usually order from Bugholes or at times from 419. I want the fastest time to turn around, not the best cost savings. I know thats not smart business but i'd rather leave $20-30 on the table at the benefit of getting jobs done. I'm a gun guy also, I hate to wait for something i've paid for.

Might be a stupid question but if the existing bolt is modified, can I still use it for my 6.5 creedmoor and 308 or do I have to buy a completely new bolt?

Might be a stupid question but if the existing bolt is modified, can I still use it for my 6.5 creedmoor and 308 or do I have to buy a completely new bolt?

You'll need a new bolt body. The bolt head is pinned and bonded to the bolt body. You swap the tail and firing pin between bolts though.

I am guessing that euro or mile high have these?

Yep, you'll need a bolt body and head... You don't need the entire bolt assembly with firing pin, safety, etc.

Or watch the PX here and find someone selling their old large firing pin bolt body and head at a substantial discount from a new one. You won't be using the old LFP bolt head anyways.

not a dumb question at all. I'm gonna advise against this. It CAN be done and is very simple....BUT it has its disadvantages. I do this to my bolt during all the testing and development and i'm cheap. AI bolts are epoxied and held in place by 3 roll pins. For one I lose those gawd dayum pins all the time. Second with repeated removal they become weak and not as tight. I have lost a pin during a match, bolt still functions with 1, ask me how i know, but its not the best idea.

guess I will start looking here cuz euro is backordered anyways.

Gilbert, another question, are you going to be releasing a drawing of the breech dimensions so other smiths can also chamber barrels, or are you planning to keep that in house?

Gilbert, another question, are you going to be releasing a drawing of the breech dimensions so other smiths can also chamber barrels, or are you planning to keep that in house?
I will be eventually releasing that info most likely to a few shops like Red Beard Gunworks. To be able to diagnose any feeding issues is hard to do if i don't know how they cut the barrel. There are some very crucial cuts that control feeding and headspace, if they're wrong its a headache to discover and asking a gunsmith "did you do this right" are fighting words. So for now its in-house.

Last edited:
@trophyhunter If I want to convert a LFP AI. Can I send you my existing LFP bolt and a new small firing pin?
Yes that’ll work

firing pins are easy to find last I checked, Mile High had them in stock.

the 223 head is designed to work with small firing pin. I also don’t know how 223 will do with the large pin.

this kit will work on large pin assemblies that have been bushed & turned down as well. That’s what I’m running and have a few is the Sotex guys run that as well.

Yes that’ll work

firing pins are easy to find last I checked, Mile High had them in stock.

the 223 head is designed to work with small firing pin. I also don’t know how 223 will do with the large pin.

this kit will work on large pin assemblies that have been bushed & turned down as well. That’s what I’m running and have a few is the Sotex guys run that as well.

Would you be willing to turn down existing large firing pins? New SFPs are about $100.

Would you be willing to turn down existing large firing pins? New SFPs are about $100.
If your other assemble already has a small pin that’ll work for an easy swap back & forth. Similar to the AXMC, just pull the firing pin and swap bolts.

I may have another possibility on pins, I’ll reply in the morning with confirmation.

Personally I’d rather pay the hundo for the AI SFP. I think it’ll be more robust, as the small diameter “pin” portion is short in length, and will be properly heat treated where you’d be machining hardened surface off of the LFP.

Not saying I have any personal experience with doing that, and not going against what @trophyhunter might suggest. Just that the $100 for a known quality pin might be a cheap cost compared to a machined pin breaking in the middle of a match.

????He’s correct. My biggest concern if any was hardness and size of large pin on small 223 primers. Should be fine as I run a turned down firing pin already.

the turned down pin is same diameter as small pin but with a bigger portion turned down then what original is. And surface hardness is removed, I’ve never checked hardness. I would suspect it would be fine, but I do carry a spare. I never doubted the stock size pin.

@trophyhunter Can you supply small firing pins?
I can call around and source them. I also got answer back on large pin modding. It’s $45 to have a large pin turned down to small pin. The other option is open the 223 head to large pin size. But I’ve never run a large pin on 223. I’m sure it would be fine but I haven’t tested it yet.

As I mentioned before, I’ve run a modded small pin since I had my head bushed (over 8,000rds). Never had an issue, but if it’s dropped I can see a pin assembly bending or possibly breaking.

Reactions: Aaron47pb
Well finally got time to relax after this weekends Rifles Only Brawl. Over the course of the match I had 1 mess up but it was totally my fault. On the helo stage, we shot 10 from a rope, 10 from the prone on deck. I took my time to get as many hits on the rope as I’ve shot this before. Then rattle off as fast as possible from the prone. Well I got 9 of 10 on rope. Moved to the prone and RO stated “you got 32secs” and started send them as fast as I could. I sent the first, second...then I short stroked it before the round could fully come back and started to go forward...jammed case and round in chamber end. Couldn’t pull it out fast enough to recover and send more rounds.
Other then that it performed flawlessly. 223 was rough in the winds we had on Friday but did well on calmer days Saturday. I won’t hesitate to run the 223 kit. It performed as it should over the entire course of fire. I think total was 181rds from every position you can think of. From resting the mag on a concrete culvert to a piece of string hanging from a 4x4. It performed as my AI always has.

On another note, I’ve gotten a few PM’s recently about the 1 piece bolt and people holding out for that. Honestly I’m not moving forward with that till I see enough interest to invest time and most importantly money. I currently have bolt heads ready to swap and feel EXTREMELY confident that the kit runs great.

Till I start to recoup enough funds from the 223 conversion the other kits are on hold as well.
If you’re interested, send me a PM to answer questions and get you shooting 223.

Well finally got time to relax after this weekends Rifles Only Brawl. Over the course of the match I had 1 mess up but it was totally my fault. On the helo stage, we shot 10 from a rope, 10 from the prone on deck. I took my time to get as many hits on the rope as I’ve shot this before. Then rattle off as fast as possible from the prone. Well I got 9 of 10 on rope. Moved to the prone and RO stated “you got 32secs” and started send them as fast as I could. I sent the first, second...then I short stroked it before the round could fully come back and started to go forward...jammed case and round in chamber end. Couldn’t pull it out fast enough to recover and send more rounds.
Other then that it performed flawlessly. 223 was rough in the winds we had on Friday but did well on calmer days Saturday. I won’t hesitate to run the 223 kit. It performed as it should over the entire course of fire. I think total was 181rds from every position you can think of. From resting the mag on a concrete culvert to a piece of string hanging from a 4x4. It performed as my AI always has.

On another note, I’ve gotten a few PM’s recently about the 1 piece bolt and people holding out for that. Honestly I’m not moving forward with that till I see enough interest to invest time and most importantly money. I currently have bolt heads ready to swap and feel EXTREMELY confident that the kit runs great.

Till I start to recoup enough funds from the 223 conversion the other kits are on hold as well.
If you’re interested, send me a PM to answer questions and get you shooting 223.

Glad to hear its running so well. Sadly Im not gonna be able to be one of your customers yet. But I hope one day in the future when I have some spare coin again.

I'll be sending one of my AX's your way once Bartlein ships barrels I have on order... if my last several orders with them are any indication, that's probably 6-7 months away, LOL

Looking forward to reports from other users while I'm waiting for my barrel blanks!

Well I'll be waiting for a chance to get a 224V kit! I'll be watching the thread to see when you start making the other kits again! Will also give me a month or two to recoup funds again

Well I'll be waiting for a chance to get a 224V kit! I'll be watching the thread to see when you start making the other kits again! Will also give me a month or two to recoup funds again
I only have 1 bolt that I made for Frank (Lowlight). David Thomas was originally going to try it but he’s on that Tigre joto train for now. We have the mags, I played with it a few times, but no serious attempt on my part.

i don’t foresee going into “production” until I have actual orders on hand. Kinda hard to invest funds if parts are just sitting.

I only have 1 bolt that I made for Frank (Lowlight). David Thomas was originally going to try it but he’s on that Tigre joto train for now. We have the mags, I played with it a few times, but no serious attempt on my part.

i don’t foresee going into “production” until I have actual orders on hand. Kinda hard to invest funds if parts are just sitting.

I have mags and a barrel on way ??

• Haha
Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but I'm interested in an AXMC. I wanted confirmation that your kit can work the same in both the AX and/or the MC?
I got behind an AI a few months ago for the first now all I can think about is an AI... and this 223 kit is tantalizing!!

Reactions: aku
I apologize but looking to see how we get in touch with the OP should we want to purchase a kit. I read through this thread but did not see it listed anywhere

Reactions: deersniper
Following.

This is probably a total noob question, but is there any chance these would work?

Or would they be for M700 actions in an AICS only?
Until I have a mag I won’t know, but the kit as it sits works with Accurate mag, MDT & AI polymer mags.

so as long as it’s AICS compatible it should work.