• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International 223 conversion working

FYI, for those interested in the kits discussed in this thread that were developed by Gilbert and Enrique, Greg from bugholes just got back to me.

He said that the official AI conversions announced yesterday came as a surprise to him too. He said he's slammed with other work right now and needs some time to work things out, but with the official AI conversions in the pipeline he may not continue the project.

Guess we all need to sit tight and see how things play out.

Well being as it’s been some 20yrs that they actually had a picture of something, could be like Bigfoot 🤷🏻‍♂️ . I wouldn’t hold my breath on anything.

300wsm or 223AI 🤔 but I’m feeling very Wylde 🙂
421AF0BE-3D53-4E6F-B44B-E4C436B89E0B.jpeg

@R.Walters you keep posting "haters gonna hate" all over here and social media. Do you think it's funny to be condescending to your current customer base or a potential new customer? The thing is, people who have made aftermarket parts for the AI platform did so because of the love of the AI system (at least for me it was). Making it seem like the aftermarket is the problem is ignoring how we've all gotten here in the first place. Yes, maybe AI invented the word "chassis" and had a BR repeater 20 years ago, but that was then and this is now. Everyone is trying to push the envelope and modify/improve what's out there.

To the other comments directed at me, I will say this. Looking back on what I worked on and then shared regarding my chassis design, may have been a mistake. But I was optimistic, and honestly I was hoping that pitching my chassis to AI and having it physically in their hands would be my big break in working with them (or for them) in some capacity. That was my dream job and I told Scott that when I talked to him. I believe my passion for AIs and improving/accessorizing them has been well documented over the past 5 years here on Sniper's Hide, and the Obsession chassis was the culmination of that. So if in Oct 2019 I had been told "sign this NDA, let's get your input on making this better" I honestly would have signed it so fast the pen would have lit on fire. Instead, I believe my prototype was in the hands of the people who were using it as a reference for the design which would become the AT-X.

I'm in no way insinuating that the AT-X is a "ripoff" of my design; it's not. I have no IP, no patents, and I consciously decided not to do any of that. But for AI to say they were suddenly inspired in Oct 2019 to get out a sketchpad and start thinking about a new rifle, while at the exact same time shooting my chassis off a barricade...I guess that doesn't sit very well with me.

Maybe things could've turned out differently, but they are what they are at this point. Business is business, and I support capitalism even if it means someone tinkering in their garage has to try to compete with the big dogs. Isn't that how AI started to begin with?

Sam

Last edited:
People seem to forget that Americans are pretty decent at manufacturing too...

(I work for a Japanese-owned company & know what I'm talking about)

Edit: That sounded kinda dick'ish... I just mean that I see this in my day job sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: trophyhunter
I just wanted to prove that 2 Texas boys with butter knives for tools could get something to work when everyone said they’d never seen one.

and I really love AI’s

For my next trick I’m gonna make the ASR & AXMC in 223 also...or maybe 7.62x39 🤔

oh shit 6.8western 🤣

How about good old 30-06?
Or 6.5x55?

@R.Walters you keep posting "haters gonna hate" all over here and social media. Do you think it's funny to be condescending to your current customer base or a potential new customer? The thing is, people who have made aftermarket parts for the AI platform did so because of the love of the AI system (at least for me it was). Making it seem like the aftermarket is the problem is ignoring how we've all gotten here in the first place. Yes, maybe AI invented the word "chassis" and had a BR repeater 20 years ago, but that was then and this is now. Everyone is trying to push the envelope and modify/improve what's out there.

To the other comments directed at me, I will say this. Looking back on what I worked on and then shared regarding my chassis design, may have been a mistake. But I was optimistic, and honestly I was hoping that pitching my chassis to AI and having it physically in their hands would be my big break in working with them (or for them) in some capacity. That was my dream job and I told Scott that when I talked to him. I believe my passion for AIs and improving/accessorizing them has been well documented over the past 5 years here on Sniper's Hide, and the Obsession chassis was the culmination of that. So if in Oct 2019 I had been told "sign this NDA, let's get your input on making this better" I honestly would have signed it so fast the pen would have lit on fire. Instead, I believe my prototype was in the hands of the people who were using it as a reference for the design which would become the AT-X.

I'm in no way insinuating that the AT-X is a "ripoff" of my design; it's not. I have no IP, no patents, and I consciously decided not to do any of that. But for AI to say they were suddenly inspired in Oct 2019 to get out a sketchpad and start thinking about a new rifle, while at the exact same time shooting my chassis off a barricade...I guess that doesn't sit very well with me.

Maybe things could've turned out differently, but they are what they are at this point. Business is business, and I support capitalism even if it means someone tinkering in their garage has to try to compete with the big dogs. Isn't that how AI started to begin with?

Sam
So...... That was a long tactfully way of saying they stole your very unoriginal idea. I'm no AI fanboy by any means. I don't even own an AI but can see clearly they are in no way in the wrong here. I can say that I have personally shot with Rhett and JR outside of matches and the ideas of an AI designed towards matches were around years before 2019 along "your" design features. I did see that you said you're not insinuating they stole your ideas but the whole paragraph before that definitely says that you are. It wasn't a matter of them being suddenly inspired in late 2019... It was the guys on the team finally able to convince the shot caller that there needs to be changes if they want to be a major part of the competition market.

I've personally have had no desire for an AI until the release of this and might even pick one up. Not to mention that Rhett isn't even close to being condescending considering you're basically accusing them stealing your "design" and you have a group of grown men crying that they didn't get exactly what they want.

Last edited:
I mean all you really did was take MPAs idea of offering an aftermarket chassis for the AI and model it after MDT... So you would be hard pressed to claim some type of intellectual property or great idea claim. Props for bringing it to the market though! Looks like AI took these good ideas and made them better.
Curious (ie not being "hostile") - what makes the new designs better?

Reactions: Crabcore
Hi,

The above is actually nowhere near the truth. This industry as a whole is not even attempting or wanting to push innovation in lots of areas...
ALLOYS and manufacturing being 2 of the biggest areas in the industry.

Everyone still uses the same basic 2 alloys in action manufacturing.
Everyone still uses the same SAAMI/CIP pressure baselines as 80 years ago.

The industry hasn't even began to "innovate" in regards to looking outside its' small box for methods, alloys, ways, procedures, etc for innovation.

And one of the biggest innovations the industry as a whole needs is providing better customer journeys.

Stop treating customers as they need you or should be happy you let them even purchase your product and get to treating customers with the concept of they are just as important IF not more important than your product quality. (This is why MHSA is so successful for AI!!!)

Sincerely,
Theis
Everything you said is correct (even the archery industry is starting to leave firearms behind in the alloys being used - look at Xpedition's new lineup), but the bolded part is even more true than the rest. Ill never understand how it became, not only acceptable, but expected to miss deadlines by so much. MFGs act like theyre doing you favor if they arent 2 months past a quoted deadline. You see it permiate even daily discussions here.

Reactions: brianf
In my opinion.... It's a whole chassis for one, I prefer the style of "bridge" system, it's more affordable to those who don't already own an AI, probably more than that but I'm eating so thats all I got off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Walters
It may interest a few of you to know AI made a 223 conversion for the AW in the year 2000. Also they made factory 6 BR with small double stack mags in 2000.

So it’s pretty hard to copy someone when you invented the chassis and invented the first 223 conversion and invented the first dedicated 6BR tactical rifle. Most people don’t know why they call metal rifle stocks “chassis”. It’s very a British term and was originated by Accuracy International. AI has fully modeled a more modern.223 conversion several years ago. Projects for the recreational shooting market have taken a back seat to military solicitations. The AT-X program started in October of 2019 and development of accessories and conversion components will progress through 2021.

Haters gonna hate
"Chassis" is a french word (derived from the latin 'capsa'), and was used to describe the carriage like base of a large gun as early as the 1860s. It became synonmous with automobile frames in the early 1900s in the united states.
Not sure how you claim it to be british nor coined by AI in any capacity.

Some noticable differences that separate the AT-X from the AO just by looking at pics and watching the videos provided these last 2days. Don't crucify me if I F* it up with misinformation, kiddos...

- Mag cutout and ASR Mag release

- Vertical barricade stop. AT-X looks slanted forward which seems to help keep support bags away from the mag more. You can have issues with bag pushing mags back, which leads to rounds facing downwards = can't feed rounds forward

- Keyslot were you thought you didn't need them (and the newly full blooded erect penises/ 45 degree).

- Optional half or full bridge. Also has angled Keyslota so you can still use the weighs there if need be on the forend itself

- Keyslot Stackable weights. Bet we start seeing that genius idea come from other companies. Suck it gamer plates! * I rock heavy barrels, doub't I'll need/ use weights LOL

- RRS Dovetail (RRS Standard, not the arca "standard") carried over from ASR. Maybe Sam is also using their dovetail standard. I haven't followed on to all the feautures, just judging by pics)

- Lower bore height which have been a negative for comps from people, with the "older" AI weapon systems.

- Unbonded. It was news to me back at SHOT 2019 when the ASR was announced, that the AX50's weren't bonded (believe its the same with AW50).

With all that being said, props to Sam for coming out with his AO chassis. It seems the guys that converted, really enjoy it. As well as all his other accessories for the AI platforms.
I personally, didn't want to unbond my AX's. I made due with what I had. My life's story actually haha.

@jzerfoss you don't own an AI, haven't shot or handled an AO chassis and already have an opinion which is better? From surfing internet pictures, I guess?
Well I've shot plenty of AIs and I'm guessing I've shot AO as much as you've shot the AT-X 🙄. The preferences I listed have very little to do with handling. I would say good try at being a smartass but it really wasn't....

• Haha
Reactions: R.Walters
Some noticable differences that separate the AT-X from the AO just by looking at pics and watching the videos provided these last 2days. Don't crucify me if I F* it up with misinformation, kiddos...

- Vertical barricade stop. AT-X looks slanted forward which seems to help keep support bags away from the mag more. You can have issues with bag pushing mags back, which leads to rounds facing downwards = can't feed rounds forward

- Keyslot were you thought you didn't need them (and the newly full blooded erect penises/ 45 degree).

- Optional half or full bridge. Also has angled Keyslota so you can still use the weighs there if need be on the forend itself

- Keyslot Stackable weights. Bet we start seeing that genius idea come from other companies. Suck it gamer plates! * I rock heavy barrels, doub't I'll need/ use weights LOL

- RRS Dovetail (RRS Standard, not the arca "standard") carried over from ASR. Maybe Sam is also using their dovetail standard. I haven't followed on to all the feautures, just judging by pics)

- Lower bore height which have been a negative for comps from people, with the "older" AI weapon systems.

- Unbonded. It was news to me back at SHOT 2019 when the ASR was announced, that the AX50's weren't bonded (believe its the same with AW50).

With all that being said, props to Sam for coming out with his AO chassis. It seems the guys that converted, really enjoy it. As well as all his other accessories for the AI platforms.
I personally, didn't want to unbond my AX's. I made due with what I had. My life's story actually haha.
yo. bad enough I see a dick and balls everytime I see a keyslot, now they gonna be hard dick and balls everytime I see AIs new toy. Thanks bro.
life hack. keyslot and keymod looks gay and magpuls rubber mlok covers work.

So...... That was a long tactfully way of saying they stole your very unoriginal idea. I'm no AI fanboy by any means. I don't even own an AI but can see clearly they are in no way in the wrong here. I can say that I have personally shot with Rhett and JR outside of matches and the ideas of an AI designed towards matches were around years before 2019 along "your" design features. I did see that you said you're not insinuating they stole your ideas but the whole paragraph before that definitely says that you are. It wasn't a matter of them being suddenly inspired in late 2019... It was the guys on the team finally able to convince the shot caller that there needs to be changes if they want to be a major part of the competition market.

I've personally have had no desire for an AI until the release of this and might even pick one up. Not to mention that Rhett isn't even close to being condescending considering you're basically accusing them stealing your "design" and you have a group of grown men crying that they didn't get exactly what they want.

It was pretty clear he was simply asking for some acknowledgment that his efforts helped push AI in the direction to listening to civilian/comp shooters.

He was met earlier with comments like “you gave it an honest effort” which most would take as a back handed insult.

But as I posted earlier, neither party gains from publicly bickering over things that aren’t original to either party. This is getting back to the days of people arguing over who’s sand bag was invented first.

Jorge,

I appreciate the comments and the compliments. I didn't want to get into a pissing match with AI, hence why I stayed out of their product release and let them do their thing. I'll say it again, their rifle is cool, maybe a polarizing design, but like always some people like an ACC while others like a Manners. Not to sound "snobby", but as an engineer I think I can appreciate not only what they did, but how they did it when it comes to the forend height and the AR grip. I give respect where it's due.

I'll clarify a couple things, not that it's misinformation, more that people might be surprised what features the AO chassis has always had. It's unfortunate that some people might now think the AO chassis was merely a stepping stone to what the ATX is, but a lot of thought went into blending modern features with the classic look of an AI when I first sat down to design it 2 years ago.

- Flared magwell for way easier loading with AW mags versus standard AT chassis. The AX magwell on the ATX is a great feature, though users may want to upgrade to the more expensive AX mags.

- Has slightly angled barricade stop right in front of magwell for reasons you stated above

- M-Lok slots per Magpul specs. Won't get into M-Lok vs KeySlot; I couldn't use KeySlot for obvious patent/licensing reasons. People give KeySlot a bad rap for some reason, from an engineering standpoint it's awesome. Props to AI for using it to their advantage when integrating the forend weights and NV bridge.

- Currently has short NV bridge with 20 moa pic rail; full length bridge and rail came off the machine 2 weeks ago.

- Can use any 3rd party M-Lok or Vision external weights. Stackable weights have already existed on the market for some time https://www.admmfg.com/prc-gravity-block

- RRS Dovetail spec rail. At this point "Arca rail" is really like saying Kleenex instead of facial tissue. If a company isn't using RRS spec I don't know WTF they're doing.

- Lower bore height vs AT and AX by a mile. The AT-X gets closer than the AO.

- First batch of production AO chassis were designed to be re-bonded.

Thanks,

Sam

I’m glad to see Team AI help push this to what we see now. That being from Sam at AO and AI offering more usable stuff that the leisure/competitive shooter wants. Hell even the offering from MPA. I see all this as a plus for Accuracy International. Not everyone will like everything, hence why we have several models of firearms. Variety is what keeps things fresh. Innovation & new designs from all aspects is encouraged, from the manufacturer and aftermarket to keep these rifles in the spotlight, and ultimately in the winners circle.

Sam you proved the market existed, proved that the market was ready, you took the risk and proved the concept for Today, they just jumped on the bandwagon after a market was created. You should be very proud of your entrepreneurial spirt, your little Chairman of the Board and chief development officer, you pushed the sloth of complacency into action. BRAVO, smells like America.

Sam

Sam you proved the market existed, proved that the market was ready, you took the risk and proved the concept for Today, they just jumped on the bandwagon after a market was created. You should be very proud of your entrepreneurial spirt, your little Chairman of the Board and chief development officer, you pushed the sloth of complacency into action. BRAVO, smells like America.

DE785DD3-61C5-453C-8056-D125E65A9E0F.jpeg

I just wanted to prove that 2 Texas boys with butter knives for tools could get something to work when everyone said they’d never seen one.

and I really love AI’s

For my next trick I’m gonna make the ASR & AXMC in 223 also...or maybe 7.62x39 🤔

oh shit 6.8western 🤣
I can’t wait for the AXMC version of 223!!

I emailed Greg at Southern precision rifles earlier this week, he’s still working on this.

I’m glad to hear the project isn’t dead due to the newer AI-AT-X.

If you are interested in doing a conversation, email him to get added to his list, once things are finalized he’ll reach out to you.
No ETA was given, either way I’m good.

That's good that Greg is going to continue with the project.

Enrique had my bolt done in a week. Took Greg a bit longer on the barrel because of his current workload, but I received my 223AI barrel from him about two weeks ago. Yesterday I finally had time to go out and get my fireforming loads dialed in. Feeds / extracts / ejects extremely well. Clever bolt nose and breech face design to help with smooth feeding with the smaller diameter 223 cases. Accuracy is great too.

ax223.jpg

Only 560 more cases to fireform, be glad when that is over... the AI bolt lug ramp geometry makes the bolt closing a bit "clunky" with the slight crush fit on the new Lapua cases. With properly sized cases after fireforming it feels like a regular AI bolt.

Last edited:
We have a few small changes we are implementing into the bolt head, A couple are intended to increase the smoothness of the bolt close. The original design is good, but we may be able to make it just a little bit better. Please be patient while we work through the redraw and testing. If anyone wants to get notified when we're ready please call or email the shop and we'll get you on the list. It's a tough time to be experimenting; many in the industry, including us, are currently struggling to keep up with the day to day operations

We have a few small changes we are implementing into the bolt head, A couple are intended to increase the smoothness of the bolt close. The original design is good, but we may be able to make it just a little bit better. Please be patient while we work through the redraw and testing. If anyone wants to get notified when we're ready please call or email the shop and we'll get you on the list. It's a tough time to be experimenting; many in the industry, including us, are currently struggling to keep up with the day to day operations

Good to hear Greg. I really like my kit, been wanting to shoot 223 out of one of my AI's ever since the AE Mk3 days...

Another possible design change to consider if you aren't already: With the somewhat large OD of the stock AI firing pin in the triple fluted area between the shoulder for the firing pin spring and the tip, there isn't much wall thickness left in the bolt head for the nipple of the sako extractor to engage into. When I got my bolt back from Enrique the nipple on the extractor was left a bit too long and was contacting the OD of the firing pin. When you would rotate the bolt handle the extractor nipple would jump up and over the 3x flutes on the firing pin, and between that and a few dry fires the firing pin OD pushing up on the nipple of the extractor and trying to force it out of the bolt ended up bending and sticking the extractor plunger. Luckily I caught it before the damage to the extractor plunger was too bad and was able to remove and replace the extractor plunger. For clearance between the extractor nipple and firing pin, Enrique said to just file down the nipple on the back of the extractor a bit more for clearance. Turns out the batch of extractors he used for my bolt were a little different than the first batch he used, and he didn't realize there was a clearance issue. After filing for clearance there's not much nipple left on the extractor to engage the bolt head, but it works and extracts just fine.

One possible design change I see that would improve this situation is If you were to grind down the OD of the triple fluted area of the stock AI firing pin forward of the spring collar where it passes through the bolt head and reduce the diameter by say .080"-0.100", that would allow for a smaller hole through the bolt head for the firing pin which would leave more wall thickness in the bolt head for the extractor nipple to engage. This means you could not only leave additional material on the extractor nipple for engagement into the bolt head but also create additional clearance from the firing pin OD to the back of the extractor nipple to avoid the clearance problem that I had.

However, this change would come with a compromise-- you would now need to modify the stock AI firing pin and have a firing pin assembly with a modified firing pin dedicated to the 223 conversion bolt, and you could no longer simply swap a stock AI firing pin assembly between say a .308 bolt body and the .223 bolt body as you can with the current design.

The other option would be to make a custom factory AI style leaf spring .223 extractor and leave the ID of the bolt as-is to use an unmodified AI firing pin-- an AI style leaf spring extractor would totally eliminate the clearance issue between the firing pin OD and the sako extractor nipple, but it would be a far more costly and involved solution on your end.

Minor issues in the scheme of things but figured I'd mention it. I'm very impressed with my 223 kit as-is.

Going to finish my loading tonight and hopefully go shoot and fireform some more tomorrow...

Last edited:
Are there any plans for an AXMC bolt?

Yes, how about an AXMC conversion, please!

Are there any plans for an AXMC bolt?

This is good news good to hear this isn't dead! I was going to send and email to get this ball rolling, glad I saw this. Do we have an estimated cost for conversion?

The feeding is challenging with thnstd .785 dia bolt. Not saying the MC is impossible, but it may take an engineering feat to pull that off. Plus there's the magazine issue, I doubt the 223 will work in an AI of any kind with anything other than a center feed mag

Reactions: mercracing

Sam
I feel like I've seen this before 🤔

Oh yeah!

*People complain/make observations about ergonomics of AI rifles and chassis*

-Michael Victor produces after market pistol grip 'viper skins' for AI rifles and chassis... Market eats it up, within about two years AI releases new skins at lower prices 🙄

*People complain/make observations about AX rifles and chassis*

-AI Obsession chassis is released, market follows development with interest, shortly thereafter AI releases AX Team rifle 🙄

*People complain/clamor for 223 conversion. No response from AI. Aftermarket solution goes into development, market follows with great interest... just prior to release...

-Guess what comes next 🙄

My 223 conversion kit is being delivered today that i was lucky enough to purchase end of last week from a member here. Can not wait to get it out to the range. I feel I'm all set, 6.5CM, 6 Dasher and now the 223 conversion kit. I would be all over a WSM bolt for the AXSA, that would be icing on the cake. (y)

Reactions: RS14 and Kwe1982
Don't rub it in, lol.

My 223 conversion kit is being delivered today that i was lucky enough to purchase end of last week from a member here. Can not wait to get it out to the range. I feel I'm all set, 6.5CM, 6 Dasher and now the 223 conversion kit. I would be all over a WSM bolt for the AXSA, that would be icing on the cake. (y)

I'm patiently waiting for the kit to go live from SPR.

I figure they will be coming out soon. I feel very fortunate to have been lucky enough to pick one up.. Right time right place. Very low round count on barrel and bolt...
Will not be home from New Mexico till next Wednesday, you can bet I'll have some loads going down the pipe no later than Friday morning...

Reactions: RS14
I want to spin up barrels in .20 Practical for small varmints, as well as .223 Rem for bigger varmints, when the new bolt head is available.

Last edited:
guys, thanks for you patience, ive got R2 on my rifle and working, trying to get the bolt close as smooth as a factory AI 308 bolt. Lots of stuff going on with the closing cams, etc and the different geometry in place with the 223 head. Its 95% right now, got mine shooting sub 1" @400Y

ready with CC 😎

Reactions: Kwe1982