• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

That is fast!
I only get 2650 from my RPR 6.5.
What barrel do you use? Length? Twist?
My bolt will be here tomorrow, all I need is a barrel for 6.5cm :)

If I had to guess that's a factory ai 26" just like mine :)

Attachments

• 20190215_153028.jpg
    20190215_153028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
Couple of AI barrel questions.
Do the factory AI barrels have cut rifling or are they button rifled?
How accurate are the Factory AI barrels compared to one spun up by a smith?

I am on the fence on whether to just order a barrel or send a Krieger medium palma blank that I have siting here to a smith to chamber.

I am on the fence on whether to just order a barrel or send a Krieger medium palma blank that I have siting here to a smith to chamber.

All 4 of my factory barrels have been hammers

Reactions: Badfinger
I have factory and a spun up Bartlein 5r and both shoot about the same, one hole when I do my part.

I believe all factory AI barrels are cut rifled.

I don't think you'll see an accuracy difference in factory vs custom barrels. However, in my experience you CAN get better headspace control with a custom barrel when your smith has the action in-hand.

I had a factory barrel on my AT that caused virgin brass to grow 0.007" on its first firing. Since then, I send all my blanks to LRI, and they can machine headspace to +0.0015" since they have the measurements from my rifle.

Reactions: Badfinger
My 24" factory Bartlein 1:10" 308 barrel on my AX is a hammer as well, shoots 175 FGMM sub 1/2 MOA, and have made hits out to 1200 yards with it in a match. Never measured brass growth though, plan is to only shoot factory 308 (save time reloading) and either sell the 1x fired brass or use it in my SCAR which will chew it up anyway.

My 24" factory Bartlein 1:10" 308 barrel on my AX is a hammer as well, shoots 175 FGMM sub 1/2 MOA, and have made hits out to 1200 yards with it in a match. Never measured brass growth though, plan is to only shoot factory 308 (save time reloading) and either sell the 1x fired brass or use it in my SCAR which will chew it up anyway.

False... Everyone knows 308 goes transonic at 876 yards and immediately falls to the Earth....

308_traj-1.jpg

@Huskydriver haha yup. The reality though is I got my ass kicked because I sucked at all the close/fast/positional targets. Definitely (for me at least) I need to practice with a 308 in order to be even remotely proficient at a match. Laying down prone wasn't too bad because even at those 800+ yard targets I could see my splash on misses, and make adjustments, whereas the small 6mms weren't seeing anything. And that's coming from a mild 6.5x47L as my primary match caliber; I'm sure going from a 6BR to a 308 would be quite the shock.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Trust me I will always have a 308 in the quiver but I agree different tools for different jobs make certain games a little easier.

Anyone that has had their AX cerakoted, does the baking get hot enough to mess with the bonding?

Thinking about sniper gray.....

Anyone that has had their AX cerakoted, does the baking get hot enough to mess with the bonding?

Thinking about sniper gray.....

Cerakote cure temp is either 250F or 300F (new application guide says cure at 300F for one hour).

45 minutes in a 250F oven and the action will peel off the chassis with no effort whatsoever (while still hot). You’d have to talk to someone at Devcon to see if the epoxy has the same strength after it has been heated past it’s operating range.

I know guys have cerakoted their AX’s and they obviously still shoot. But if it was me I’d de-bond it and Cerakote the two halves, then bond it back together. The factory guns are cerakoted prior to assembly.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Cerakote cure temp is either 250F or 300F (new application guide says cure at 300F for one hour).

45 minutes in a 250F oven and the action will peel off the chassis with no effort whatsoever (while still hot). You’d have to talk to someone at Devcon to see if the epoxy has the same strength after it has been heated past it’s operating range.

I know guys have cerakoted their AX’s and they obviously still shoot. But if it was me I’d de-bond it and Cerakote the two halves, then bond it back together. The factory guns are cerakoted prior to assembly.

Yeah even that amount of heat will weaken most of the Devcon adhesive line.

The answer, if you can find a color that you like, is the C-Series of Air-Cure Cerakote. Same stuff you'd use for an optic job. It's pretty damn tough stuff, and comes ready to spray.

Debonding would be an option too like Sam stated. I just don't think the resulting rebonding ever looks as good as the factory job usually.

I recently cerakoted my AX. I had them leave the receiver alone. Whatever voodoo AI does in bonding those things is working. I'm not about to break the spell.

On a completely unrelated note (except that it’s a pretty good deal), CCI is having a rimfire rebate right now for 20% off every five boxes of ammo you buy before 03/31. You know, in case anyone has the otch for a deal and has a Vudoo in an AI chassis that needs some ammo for it... ;)

Unrelated,

Anyone want to “downgrade” one of their AX’s for an AT (I’ll cover difference in cash).

Picked up an AX last week, and I feel like I should have two of them ?‍♂️

Why not drop an AX stock on your AT?

I prefer the open top style chassis to the tube on the AX

Why not drop an AX stock on your AT?

I prefer the open top style chassis to the tube on the AX

I might do this. I have found I prefer the AX tube and whatnot over the AT.

Except for the handguard, the AX is “shorter” than the AT.

Reactions: Luvman
Makes sense. I think the AX butt is the better mouse trap. Hands down.

I just can’t justify the added expense of the AX for very little if any gain in function for me.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Changed it up a bit. Scored a RRS plate and spigot from another member. If anyone is interested in a 11" HRD arca rail, I've got one like new for sale.
20190328_195825.jpg

@BLKWLFK9 how stable is your bipod spigot setup?

I’m thinking about going the same route with my atlas PSR and atlas CAL. Currently one is attached to the spigot and the other has a picatinny mount. Thinking about picking up the rail for BT19 and a couple RRS mounts so I can move my bipods around.

Spigot is good to go. Love the RRs mount. The only reason why I'm not getting the accutac br4 G2 is bc their arca mount doesnt work on both arca and pic like the RRS mount does. Ordered a CAL G2 today and have another RRS mount on order as well.

Reactions: Luvman
Ive got an AI question.

On stages where you have to single feed each round by getting up, getting a round, getting back down on the rifle and single feeding, how is everyone doing this with their AIs? Pushing the round down into the mag through the breach or what?

Ive got an AI question.

On stages where you have to single feed each round by getting up, getting a round, getting back down on the rifle and single feeding, how is everyone doing this with their AIs? Pushing the round down into the mag through the breach or what?

Take the mag empty, and jam it closed. It’ll take a little chuck out of the follower, then you can file it smooth.

Or you can just file it. But jamming it home makes it faster since it’s metal vs plastic.

Then you can just toss a round in chamber and roll.

Ive got an AI question.

A couple of my mags have enough up and down play that if I pull down on it after it’s seated the bolt will run over the follower.

Total accident I figured it out. When I got the rifle, it was stopping it. Someone mentioned filing part of it and I figured I’d look it up when I got home.

Couple minutes later I was messing with rifle and was curious how it would hold up over time of having the bolt run into it.

So I jammed bolt home, it went over follower. When I went to file it later, I found that it cut out a small piece of follower that was perfect. So I just filed the rough edges off.

Did the exact same thing to two other mags and worked perfectly.

It worked on 1 of my mags perfectly but the other, the bolt would ride over it by the follower dipping forward when pushing that shit hard. Oh well. At least I have 1 mag that worked.