• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Is there a reason why black isn't as popular a color? Does it heat up too much in summer matches? Boring and plain?
I prefer green over tan (or black) due to experience in the USAF. All the good TDYs in my unit (higher per diem, interesting assignments, etc) were to places where you wore green cammies and your gear was CARC'd green, the tan was to the sandbox and the suck (General Order 1, burkas, gaiboi TCNs). Since then I've always gravitated to anything green if it was an option.

Mine

Attachments

• B3A3FAA0-341F-45F3-A810-964F71A385C6.jpeg
    B3A3FAA0-341F-45F3-A810-964F71A385C6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Reactions: aam
Speaking of colors, anyone here ever send their AX off to be cerakoted? I don't know much about cerakoting as I always used spray paint, but I'd think it wouldn't be safe due to the action being bonded. Is that right?

Speaking of colors, anyone here ever send their AX off to be cerakoted? I don't know much about cerakoting as I always used spray paint, but I'd think it wouldn't be safe due to the action being bonded. Is that right?

It was discussed earlier in the thread but the temperatures needed to cerakote could potentially debond the action.

@sjc929 had his cerakoted though and it hasn’t seemed to be an issue

Reactions: M8541Reaper
@M8541Reaper I did, haven’t had any problems. It definitely will effect the bonding material, but it shouldn’t cause any problems if the person doing it knows what they’re doing as far as the pretreatment goes (i.e. they don’t heat it up to 500 degrees for a few hours or something stupid like that). If you’re that afraid of damaging the bonding material, I wouldn’t recommend doing it, though even if it did debond you could easily just rebond it yourself, there shouldn’t be anything particularly difficult or tricky to it. Like I said, I had mine cerakoted a few months ago and had absolutely no problems, though I did mention the bonded action to the guy before he started just to make sure he knew this wasn’t as straight forward as a normal bolt action or an AR.

I prefer green over tan (or black) due to experience in the USAF. All the good TDYs in my unit (higher per diem, interesting assignments, etc) were to places where you wore green cammies and your gear was CARC'd green, the tan was to the sandbox and the suck (General Order 1, burkas, gaiboi TCNs). Since then I've always gravitated to anything green if it was an option.

As former Army, don’t ruin my experience of looking at my beautiful green AX and thinking of the Air Force....

It was discussed earlier in the thread but the temperatures needed to cerakote could potentially debond the action.

@sjc929 had his cerakoted though and it hasn’t seemed to be an issue

Yea I thought I saw it in here somewhere with someone mentioning it but I didn't know if anyone went through with it and had issues.

@sjc929 That's good to hear.

I've spent so much of the past few months looking at all these and seeing the deals in the PX that I may have a problem lol. Going to try and snag one this month. Thanks for the feedback guys.

View attachment 7051518

Operation Frankenstein AT is in full swing. Luvman made me do it.

@MysizeisMAGNUM

I just ordered an AT and noted this post. MHSA has the conversion for $904 "installed." Is this something a reasonably skilled person can accomplish without having to ship a rifle to MHSA? TIA. Apology if I haven't read far enough back in the thread for the answer.

@MysizeisMAGNUM

I just ordered an AT and noted this post. MHSA has the conversion for $904 "installed." Is this something a reasonably skilled person can accomplish without having to ship a rifle to MHSA? TIA. Apology if I haven't read far enough back in the thread for the answer.

There is a thread on the installation in here somewhere. Doesn't look hard at all.

@MysizeisMAGNUM

There's a detailed thread on it HERE.

Basically if you have "normal" gunsmithing tools (vice, deadblow hammer, heat gun/propane torch), you'll be fine.

If you're ordering the AT from MH then it probably would make sense to just have them do it if their installation cost is relatively small.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
There is a thread on the installation in here somewhere. Doesn't look hard at all.

There's a detailed thread on it HERE.

Basically if you have "normal" gunsmithing tools (vice, deadblow hammer, heat gun/propane torch), you'll be fine.

If you're ordering the AT from MH then it probably would make sense to just have them do it if their installation cost is relatively small.

Appreciate the replies. I ordered an unfired AT demo in 308 from Euro Optics, which should be here Friday. I shoot .260 so I also ordered a .260 barrel and an atlas adapter. The cost for all was less than the retail on a new AT, so I went for it. Since I don't really shoot 308, I might sell the 308 barrel and use some of the monies for the skeleton stock (maybe). I'm able to shoot at Quantico almost every weekend and I know there are a couple AXs on the line, so I'll try the AT and AX and go from there.

@MysizeisMAGNUM

It was really simple, this post was really informative also (https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-rifle-ax-butt-conversion-pale-brown.6919323/)

As far as purchasing the AX buttstock i made an offer on Scopelist and it was a pretty good deal. I couldn't get really comfortable behind the AT buttstock. I'm in heaven with the AX buttstock!

Reactions: Luvman
It was really simple, this post was really informative also (https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-rifle-ax-butt-conversion-pale-brown.6919323/)

As far as purchasing the AX buttstock i made an offer on Scopelist and it was a pretty good deal. I couldn't get really comfortable behind the AT buttstock. I'm in heaven with the AX buttstock!

Thanks for the reply and hint about Scopelist, which I think is Euro Optics????

BTW - I ordered a pale brown AT because I know it was made on a Wednesday. :)

Is there a reason why black isn't as popular a color? Does it heat up too much in summer matches? Boring and plain?

Black is beautiful....it doesn't get hot in the summer

This being said, I am LH so it was the only color available when I bought mine

I would love the Sage Green skins but not available...especially in LH

I personally think it's because black rifles were super played out in the 80's/90's with the whole survivalist movement. Everyone wants something fresh.

As former Army, don’t ruin my experience of looking at my beautiful green AX and thinking of the Air Force....
Sorry bro, I too came close to ruining my life and going Army - luckily an Uncle in the service set me straight. At least you've proven the damage wasn't permanent and you can make good choices by buying yourself an AI, good job!

Sorry bro, I too came close to ruining my life and going Army - luckily an Uncle in the service set me straight. At least you've proven the damage wasn't permanent and you can make good choices by buying yourself an AI, good job!

AF Security Forces retired, I got your back bro. I'll have to order some green skins...

Since I was working with the factory AX, I threw the action/chassis in a 300F oven for about an hour. I found that my heat gun didn’t work very well, and I didn’t want to discolor the Cerakote with a propane torch. The oven worked really well.

D779D846-716B-4F02-A0F7-CF7B51E13682.jpeg

My AT arrived today. Configured in 308 but that barrel will get sold off and the pale brown .260 barrel installed and used. Thought I had ordered the Atlas bipod adapter that extends out the fore end, but I received a 4" rail section. Clearly user error as I'm not up on AI terminology. My skeleton stock is due to arrive next week and could be an upgrade if I don't like the current AT folder. Sorry for the crappy iPotato pic.

IMG_0705-1_JPG-933258.jpg

Anyone else having issues with the bolt not picking up 6.5 CM ammo? It seems like either the ammo is hanging up in the magazine or they aren’t fully seating on the feed lips.

This does NOT happen when I’m aggressive with the bolt throw. Only when I’m trying to be gentle.

Anyone else having issues with the bolt not picking up 6.5 CM ammo? It seems like either the ammo is hanging up in the magazine or they aren’t fully seating on the feed lips.

This does NOT happen when I’m aggressive with the bolt throw. Only when I’m trying to be gentle.

I have not had any issues with the AT or AX after about 500 rounds on each. Have you messed with the feedlips at all?

Take the spring/follower out and post a picture of it or count the points on one side of the spring. I have this issue with one mag and no others. It's a different spring and I had sent it in to AINA, they returned it with the same set up but not the exact same spring. Still has the issue but only on the last round with the 308 barrel that's on it at the moment. Haven't tried it yet with the creed but I bet it's the same deal. The sage one is the one with the issue. The longer spring.

20190315_191023.jpg

Haven’t touched the feed lips. 308 feeds and seats perfectly. I’m going to try my other mag tomorrow morning. I’ll get back to you guys.

Take the spring/follower out and post a picture of it or count the points on one side of the spring. I have this issue with one mag and no others. It's a different spring and I had sent it in to AINA, they returned it with the same set up but not the exact same spring. Still has the issue but only on the last round with the 308 barrel that's on it at the moment. Haven't tried it yet with the creed but I bet it's the same deal. The sage one is the one with the issue. The longer spring.

View attachment 7071740

My last round occasionally doesn't get picked up as well. Which mag spring is the one ania sent back to you?

They wouldn't just send me a spring, which is kind of dumb I thought but they gave me a RMA number to send the sage mag back that came with the rifle. That magazine had the longer spring in the picture in it. The black mag was purchased new from the same vendor a week or two after the rifle and it has the shorter spring. I put a dot on the spring with a sharpie to make sure it wasn't the same when it came back to me from AINA. They did in fact swap it out but it's the same long spring. Its actually stiffer and a different shape than the shorter spring as well. I have 6 mags now, all but the sage one work, all but the sage one are the shorter, less stiff, different shaped spring. I've talked to lance three times about this and the only thing I've gotten out of them is that if AI changed the spring specs at some point, they didn't change the part number. It's not as bad as the original where I'd have constant bolt over base malfunctions but now its strictly the last round when the mag was fully loaded to begin with. I'd you put just one round in, sometimes it's fine and other times it's not.

Well, I tried my second magazine. I instantly recognized the cartridges hug the feed lips, and no wiggle on the front of the cartridge. It fed perfectly. I wonder if the feed lips on one of my mags is out of spec. I didn’t see an issue with 308 ammo.

Well, I tried my second magazine. I instantly recognized the cartridges hug the feed lips, and no wiggle on the front of the cartridge. It fed perfectly. I wonder if the feed lips on one of my mags is out of spec. I didn’t see an issue with 308 ammo.

I'd take a look at those springs before I go bending any lips. It's the same issue I have and the feed lips are the same on both of my mags.

Reactions: Badfinger
I’ve got a Bartlein gain twist blank coming in today. I’m finally going to try out both the gain twist and the 6BR, both of which I’ve been interested in for a while. If anyone is interested, I grabbed one of the heavy palma blanks that Altus has stocked (I’ve decided if I never preorder or special order another rifle part for the rest of my life, it would still be too soon, so grabbing one off the shelf was a pleasant surprise).

I was planning to send it to LRI to be spun up, but a new thought crossed my mind. I’m also planning to try a Whidden sizing die for the first time with this project as well, and I just realized Whidden offers AI prefit services. This means I could get the barrel spun up by them, get the brass from them, and have them go ahead and match the die to the chamber and brass as well all at once. I don’t suppose anyone has any experience with Whidden as far as gunsmithing goes? I plan to make some calls Monday to see what’s up, but if anyone has some experience with Whidden gunsmithing as far as quality and typical lead times I’d appreciate it.

Here’s a pic of my springs. One is slightly longer than the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 28
For people stressing about the bonding material between the action and chassis... 2018 AT here we pulled apart with an electric heat blower to put in an MPA.View attachment 7071135

How much “inletting” did you have to do in the trigger/trigger screw area of the mpa to get the action to fit properly? A buddy and I both had to use the mill to clearance the chassis a bit.

Sjc929,

Don't know about lead time but the most accurate rifle I've ever had was a Whidden 6br. Workmanship was top notch as well.